PDA

View Full Version : How many of you carry Survival Kits while out hunting?

Pete
10-01-2007, 03:50 PM
Over the weekend while out in the back country my partner and myself rescued a hunter who was really and truly lost. This poor guy was definetely not dressed for hunting wearing only light gear and blue jeans. He had gone for a quick walk in the trees and had not been able to find his way back and had been walking for quite some time. He had no survival gear or even matches and was more than happy to see us.
After some detective work and using our local knowledge we were able to get this chap back to his vehicle but it could have been another story 6 hrs. later when it was dark and the snow was falling.
So the question is.... Do you carry survival gear when you hunt and have you ever practiced with it?
cheers
Pete

LOC
10-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Always! Not just when out hunting but anytime I'm out in the bush. I have a fanny-pack that has all my survival gear in it. I re-stock it yearly to make sure everything works.

tooty
10-01-2007, 04:03 PM
I never leave the truck without all my stuff to make it through the night.Plastic for a shelter,water,snacks that last forever,lighter,candles,flashlight etc.To many close calls in my early years of hunting ,man I sure walked far and now it's almost dark and I don't want to spend the night.

308BAR
10-01-2007, 04:15 PM
Definitely, snack foods, maps, zippo, extra batteries, gps, rainpants, fire starter. Never leave the road without it.

Poguebilt
10-01-2007, 04:33 PM
As a member of SAR.. I always have my ready pack with me!

Jetboat
10-01-2007, 04:43 PM
Whiskey, vodka & beer are just a few of the...whoops!...wrong kit:twisted:

The Hermit
10-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Yes. I'm a dumb ass and can get turned around pretty quick... so I always carry extra batteries for my gps and radio! Seriuosly, and I also carry a small first aid and survival kit.

brotherjack
10-01-2007, 05:01 PM
Yep - don't leave the truck without it. My 'trivial trip' kit includes a basic medical kit, two of those foil blankets, fire starting supplies, backup fire starting supplies, toilet paper (which could be backup backup fire starting in a pinch), a compass, cheap plastic rain over-coat, LED flashlight, knife/multi-tool, and a few others things I'm no doubt forgetting now. I've managed to condense all that down to a fanny pack.

In addition, I always cary my Garmin Rino, a cell phone, 2 litres of water, and if I'd have any worry about the cold, I add a polar fleece balaclava, and an extra layer of fleece undergarments to my backpack (a mere pound of fleece in the pack can = a ton of extra warmth in a pinch).

Thankfully, I've never been in one of those situations (though I have gotten lost enough in thick cover that I had to navigate back relying entirely on the GPS - which is a spooky feeling!), but if I do get in a tight spot, I think I'm pretty well prepared to come back and tell you guys the story myself in a few days, rather than let you hear about it on the evening news after they find my body. :)

tooty
10-01-2007, 05:06 PM
Speaking of lost,it doesn't sound good for that lost hunter.They found his camp,his boat in the water,but no hunter.This is bad,very bad.

Pete
10-01-2007, 05:22 PM
Speaking of lost,it doesn't sound good for that lost hunter.They found his camp,his boat in the water,but no hunter.This is bad,very bad.
Sorry Tooty I must have miss the post about the missing hunter. Where and when did this take place?
Cheers
Pete

Radar
10-01-2007, 05:40 PM
Always, have used it once when a buddies quad broke down 30 + km from camp, until other buddies came to recover him.

308Lover
10-01-2007, 07:05 PM
You betcha I carry a pack at all times. Was lost once and had to hike 20km to a mtn I recognized to find a way out. Spent a night out (with fire) and worried my partner a bit.I carry a piece of plastic, some meds, hard candy etc. along with match safes. Never leave your truck without it.

fin241
10-01-2007, 07:13 PM
Never been lost...yet....but always pack the essentials in my pack just in case, including H20, fire, small first aid kit, etc. Always take a waypoint at the truck on the ol' GPS before leaving too.

Islandeer
10-01-2007, 07:40 PM
I carry everything i think I may need, and then more stuff just in case....

Sharkey
10-01-2007, 07:42 PM
Every single time we go. It's just dumb to not prepare for something to go wrong (and it will!!) I've spent the night in the woods, stuck in a mud bog and it's very humbling. Especially when you have to explain it to work the next day after you've walked out!!

Odd-6
10-01-2007, 07:45 PM
All the time....space blanket, flint, etc.

One Shot
10-01-2007, 07:52 PM
Always. Never been lost but have been I have been delayed once or twice and it comes in very handy in making in making life more comfortable overnite.:-D

Th0r
10-01-2007, 08:00 PM
Always have emergency items stuffed in my jacket pockets. Marking tape,
candle,corn chips, matches, compass, swiss army knife, etc. Only common
sense to have this stuff.

fozzy
10-01-2007, 08:10 PM
I always carry a well stocked day pack with enough stuff to be comfortable if I need to spend the night out. I thought I was going to spend a night out once after following a real nice buck though a christmas tree plot as it was getting dark. It probably took an hour or so but managed to find the truck in the dark, then added a gps to the pack for the next year just in case.

tontonian
10-01-2007, 08:21 PM
yes always carry one! being a new hunter and recently going thru c.o.r.e. they stress the importance of it.i carry in a fanny pack survival in a can,matches,lighter,flashlight,foil blankets,extra batteries for flashlight and gps,my garmin gps map 60csx,knives,rope,leatherman tool,etc,etc.also then thers my back pack for everything else,clothing,cell phone,water,snacks,on&on. be safe not sorry.

RMG
10-05-2007, 11:47 PM
Dont leave home without it, to do anything else would be, kinda like leaving your gun at home, now wouldn't it.

diggerpax
10-05-2007, 11:51 PM
Three ways to start a fire at all times- plus the other general essentials, all seasons, no matter how close to the truck.

Bow Walker
10-06-2007, 08:45 AM
I always, always carry what I think I'll need - and then I pack a few other items.

I have never been lost before, but once was thoroughly "turned around" for a few too many hours, in an area that I had never hunted before (Shoan [sp?] Lake area) and was I glad for the pack.

hitch
10-06-2007, 09:04 AM
For me it depends on the hunt.

If I'm hunting in some of my deer/moose spots that I've being hunting since I was a kid, I just bring enough to get me thru a full day. Some times it may fit in my jacket. Kinda depends on what stage of the season it is.

If I'm in the mountain's, I always bring my big pack and fill it to suit the hunt and stage of the season.

See signature below

Orangethunder
10-06-2007, 09:19 AM
Great thread. I am currently rebuilding my day pack and will have lots of survival gear in it. I spent years in the bush everyday doing layout and other chores and you get to know what to take and what to leave out. Having fire is essential if its cool out or wet. I always have a small axe and a wyoming saw, for firewood and building a shelter. Those waxy cardboard/sawdust firestarter sticks are awesome too. In a pinch great wads of pitch tubes off of the pine trees from our little beetle friends work pretty good too.

Having all the good stuff is great but we shouldn't forget to tell someone where we are going. Leave a note in your truck or on your ATV if your by yourself or tell your buddy. There are too many stories of hunters missing for my liking.

And if your drunk:eek: when you leave the truck you have more to worry about than a survival pack. AA anyone...

Happy hunting

Bigbear
10-06-2007, 12:15 PM
You bet I do, I'm always prepared. Food , Water, Lighter and Matches, Fire starter, a Small Tarp for shelter

Gun Dog
10-06-2007, 01:27 PM
I always carry a small kit plus some extra clothes. It's interesting that most of the people who provide an "essentials list" don't include a FLASHLIGHT or COMPASS or MAP.

I'm less concerned about getting lost and more concerned about getting my truck stuck. So I carry a rope, shovel, come-a-long, tire chains, and swede saw.

Gateholio
10-06-2007, 01:28 PM
I keep my "hunitng pack" in my truck all season. Includes my binos, knife and some survival stuff. I usually take it if going away for more than just a walk around a cut block..

IN the off season, i have a similar, smaller pack.

model88
10-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Never leave the truck without it, every year my pack feels heavier, old age sucks, I look inside for something that doesn't need to be there yet I never take anything out.

I keep space blankets, multiple types of fire starter, rain poncho, first-aid kit, hand saw, flashlight, Leatherman, toilet paper, water, granola bars, etc.