PDA

View Full Version : Havent seen a single WT buck

hoochie
10-27-2019, 05:46 PM
lots of talk on here about the expansion of range the WT deer have in region 3, even people have said they see them in reg 2.
In all of Sept, and up until this weekend, I have not seen a WT in region 3 thus far.
So, when I used to go to my regular hunting area, and now dont see anything other than Mule deer... it make me think they've been hunted out!
from Meritt to Monte creek...NADA.

do I have one of those bad luck clouds over me?!

walks with deer
10-27-2019, 05:47 PM
whitetails are in pockets...

in addition some days they move some dsys they dont.

MichelD
10-27-2019, 06:28 PM
I'm 66. I've been hunting for 51 years.

I've never seen a whitetail buck.

Deer_Slayer
10-27-2019, 06:33 PM
All ungulate populations are down. 4 days hunting east of Oliver and we saw 0 deer and very few tracks. Not a coincidink that any areas adjacent to IR are void of game.

limit time
10-27-2019, 06:43 PM
Wait till October is over, you’ll see them.

Pauly
10-27-2019, 06:46 PM
All ungulate populations are down. 4 days hunting east of Oliver and we saw 0 deer and very few tracks. Not a coincidink that any areas adjacent to IR are void of game.
Some of my good whitetail spots suck this year and others are doing great. Many factors hunting pressure and predators and previous winters. Have to do lots of leg work

Pauly
10-27-2019, 06:49 PM
I’ve seen 30 whitetail so far this year I shot a buck and this doe.

Pauly
10-27-2019, 06:56 PM
I checked out a spot for my dad today tons of deer sign but it’s impenetrable Bush with blowdown.. impossible all I saw were brief glimpse of flags. Once the rut starts everything will change

lovemywinchester
10-27-2019, 07:07 PM
I've been successful for WT over the last 10 years in Reg 3. Bucks and does every year. I really have to say that I see very few and shoot the first buck I see. It's not like some Yankee bowhunting shows where they pass up bucks all day long. "He's not what I am looking for!". Here I see one and I shoot one. I know guys that pass on them here and shoot one as the season winds down but my experience is very few sightings in general.

caddisguy
10-27-2019, 07:08 PM
I think they're all in Region 2 now. Counted at least 7 unique WT's on my trailcam in the last 3 weeks, while only 3 BT does :(

Another week or two and I think I'll be seeing some bucks. Interested to see if any WT bucks start showing up. For all these WT does I see, I still have yet to see a WT buck in Region 2

mpotzold
10-27-2019, 07:20 PM
Saw many WT south of Vanderhoof close to farming areas.
In over 50 years of hunting in 5-03 & surrounding areas the only deer I ever saw for sure was a mule. Only once LT thought we spooked a WT group including bucks north of Ward Creek(near Gang). They were very fast & at least 100 m. away on top of a clear cut gully. Didn't have a tag-also we don't shoot at running animals unless wounded.

While moose hunting north of Germansen(7-38 ) a WT buck ran in front of us in a large clearcut that was being chased by a black bear. Have it on a video somewhere.

srthomas75
10-27-2019, 07:26 PM
[QUOTE=mpotzold;2127293]Saw many WT south of Vanderhoof close to farming areas.
In over 50 years of hunting in 5-03 & surrounding areas the only deer I ever saw for sure was a mule. Only once LT thought we spooked a WT group including bucks north of Ward Creek(near Gang).

I’ve got a couple whitetail bucks near there (5-03) in the last five years. We didn’t see any this year.

hoochie
10-27-2019, 07:28 PM
I've been successful for WT over the last 10 years in Reg 3. Bucks and does every year. I really have to say that I see very few and shoot the first buck I see. It's not like some Yankee bowhunting shows where they pass up bucks all day long. "He's not what I am looking for!". Here I see one and I shoot one. I know guys that pass on them here and shoot one as the season winds down but my experience is very few sightings in general.

right?
from Golden down to Cranbrook... we saw lots of WT everywhere we looked. Over here... not so much.

Pauly
10-27-2019, 07:28 PM
Yeah I do the same. I’ve seen 30 but only had two give me the good shot I wanted. I get my two most years but have yet to get anything bigger than small 4x4. Last year I had a shot at a tank running full out.. missed by a mile. I generally don’t shoot at running deer but he was worth the attempt.

Liveforthehunt
10-27-2019, 07:29 PM

I'm in 8 but travel to 3 later in the season connecting with 7 Whitey bucks the past 9 years all within a 10 km radius. They are there every year as stated cant be picky . See a fair share of does but dont shoot does.

338win mag
10-27-2019, 07:38 PM
I always seem to find this time of year the whitetail bucks seem to make themselves scarce, pre-rut, not sure what they are doing.... but I have bagged most whitetails nov 15-30. Then I just try to find scrapes and set up near them or along the suspected travel routes, downwind of course. Dont get discouraged by no sightings, if your in a proven whitetail area.

mpotzold
10-27-2019, 07:55 PM
About 10 years or so ago shared a camping area near Ward Creek(5-03) with a couple hunters. One was a cook by profession. He got his limit of WT in Region 8 & was now hunting for mule deer.
They also never saw WT in REGION 5 or 3.
He gave us some WT sausages that he prepared & it was something to die for.:p He was a German from Russia.

fourbyfourtoy
10-27-2019, 08:03 PM
Seen my first whitetail buck just south of merrit while still hunting (thanks for the tips HBCers, never would have happened without you) last Friday. After 7 years of hunting, (my stomping grounds are around Little Fart) including my grandpa's property, (first time hunting his property walked into his lower field and spooked about fifteen WT does and bambi's 50 feet away)I had NOT up until now laid eyes on (while hunting) a WT buck. He spotted me first and turned quickly into white lightning. I'm going to go out in early November. bringing the 12g and some buckshot this time

gamer
10-27-2019, 08:22 PM
I was in 3-12 this past week on east side of Douglas Lake Rd. Found a couple of whitetail does. There was also a few rubs in the area. They are there for sure.

HarryToolips
10-27-2019, 09:37 PM
I don't think their numbers are quite as high in reg 3 as they were a few years ago, but they are there, I've seen some this year in reg 3 and, I haven't had cams out that way this year..as others have said, that is the best way to get an idea of their numbers in an area..

RyoTHC
10-27-2019, 10:33 PM
Am in region 3. Saw two WT bucks today including a biig boy, just after legal light following around a bunch of does.

My hunting buddy and I have also filled 3 WT tags, there are LOTS around Kamloops but they are in very small tight pockets with lots of cover, they also can hear a vehicle from a mile away and will suck in cover. It’s interesting to see how they react when a vehicle drives by, only to resume what they were doing 5 minutes later.

also they tend to move parallel to the roads and not across often.

dont give up they are there.

longwalk
10-28-2019, 06:41 AM
I spent last week in region 8 looking for white tails. Was only getting flashes occasionally. Could have sworn they were few and far between. When I pulled the card from my camera I found they were moving in the dark 100 yards from my camp. They are there. Just moving when they can’t be shot and are tough to find once they get pressured.

boxhitch
10-28-2019, 07:45 AM
Easiest way to find a WT area is to go for a drive in the dark, sans rifle of course.
Lots of spots seem devoid of the ghosts until their eyes light up in the lights

358mag
10-28-2019, 08:17 AM
Easiest way to find a WT area is to go for a drive in the dark, sans rifle of course.
Lots of spots seem devoid of the ghosts until their eyes light up in the lights
Use to be that way around here , but the local 24/7 keepers of the land with there nice LED light bars have ................................ also might need to get a permit from them with this new UNDRIP bill the NDP-Greenies are pushing through .

LuckyHorseshoe
10-28-2019, 09:08 AM
A guy in our camp shot on right by empire valley ranch couple years ago, a nice 4x4. Also saw one in my favourite spot this year, that is defintly NOT typical whitey country. Steep Rocky Mountain muley stuff. They are definetly increasing in numbers and territory

Ourea
10-28-2019, 09:17 AM
I spent last week in region 8 looking for white tails. Was only getting flashes occasionally. Could have sworn they were few and far between. When I pulled the card from my camera I found they were moving in the dark 100 yards from my camp. They are there. Just moving when they can’t be shot and are tough to find once they get pressured.

Hiding in plain sight, that’s how they roll in pressured areas. They adapt to it and simply become Houdini’s

MichelD
10-28-2019, 11:10 AM
Buddy and his wife just came back from Valemount with one each.

Razor84
10-28-2019, 11:32 AM
I'm 66. I've been hunting for 51 years.

I've never seen a whitetail buck.

well it took five decades for you to shoot a small four point mule deer..........

timberhunter
10-28-2019, 12:25 PM
The comment about the disability was tasteless and certainly uncalled for. And has no place on a hunting forum. All the comments have been deleted. And further comments on it will result in a time out for the poster. Now lets get this thread back on topic about white tails and consider the side discussion gone.

Ourea
10-28-2019, 01:16 PM
Some of my good whitetail spots suck this year and others are doing great. Many factors hunting pressure and predators and previous winters. Have to do lots of leg work

Pauly hit the nail on the head.

I’m having to work harder this yr. My money spot is a dud this yr. Im not crying about it as it is beyond my control. Just have to focus and find new opportunity. That’s hunting plain and simple. There are ebbs and flows in every area as it relates to population numbers and their huntability.

rocksteady
10-28-2019, 01:41 PM
The comment about the disability was tasteless and certainly uncalled for. And has no place on a hunting forum. All the comments have been deleted. And further comments on it will result in a time out for the poster. Now lets get this thread back on topic about white tails and consider the side discussion gone.

Good work! Thanks

adriaticum
10-29-2019, 12:42 PM
There are enough whitetails in region 3, but they are much smarter than mulies it seems to me.
It's rare that you can look a whitetail in the eye for more than a second, they just run like hell.
But I had some whitetail areas where I would see does on regular basis.
Can't say the same for mulies. They seem to be a lot more unpredictable.