PDA

View Full Version : Baiting ungulates clarification required

bruce44
10-27-2019, 04:46 AM
Hi everyone. I read the regulations and it says it is illegal to bait for bears and I've seen a couple posts here with oats as bait. Is it illegal to bait for the PURPOSE of hunting bears, or is it illegal to bait with anything that attracts bears? If I leave apples for the PURPOSE of hunting deer but a bear comes along, am I committing an offense? I've never used bait before so I'd like to get some clarification of the law.
Please, I understand that there's many differing opinions about baiting, but I'm here just for legalities.

Wild one
10-27-2019, 06:07 AM
I can tell you this I would not want to be explaining to a CO” sir I know you are not allowed to bait bears in BC but that bait pile I shot the bear over is for deer”. Put yourself in the COs boots in that conversation and remember guilty people lie to him all the time

My opinion I would not shoot a bear over a deer bait but if you want to know the best answer to your question call/email the CO in the area and see what they say

hawk-i
10-27-2019, 06:34 AM
I think you can put out salt/mineral blocks legally, right?

Ride Red
10-27-2019, 08:02 AM
Keep yourself out of any “grey areas” in the regs and you’ll be fine. As Wildone said, good luck trying to explain yourself out of a predicament.

Ride Red
10-27-2019, 08:03 AM

No issue......

moosecamp
10-27-2019, 08:08 AM

Read the regs people. No on salt blocks or mineral blocks for bear hunting.
Bait - means anything, including meat, cereals, cultivated crops, restrained animal or any manufactured product or material, that may attract wildlife and includes plastic or other imitation foods, but does not include a decoy as described under these regulations.

bruce44
10-27-2019, 08:14 AM
I don't want to hunt bear. I just wasn't sure if baiting a bear was classified by the bait you used or the purpose in which you use it for. For the longest time I thought you couldn't use bait that could attract bears period.
That's why I asked if it's the purpose that's illegal, not the kind of bait itself.

Muliechaser
10-27-2019, 08:14 AM
Read the regs people. No on salt blocks or mineral blocks for bear hunting.
Bait - means anything, including meat, cereals, cultivated crops, restrained animal or any manufactured product or material, that may attract wildlife and includes plastic or other imitation foods, but does not include a decoy as described under these regulations.

"Means anything" ... that may attract wildlife . .

Pretty cut and dry .

Mc

bruce44
10-27-2019, 08:16 AM
Also, does leaving a gut pile out, then shooting a wolf that was attracted to it considered baiting it? So many gray areas.

Muliechaser
10-27-2019, 08:17 AM
I don't want to hunt bear. I just wasn't sure if baiting a bear was classified by the bait you used or the purpose in which you use it for. For the longest time I thought you couldn't use bait that could attract bears period.
That's why I asked if it's the purpose that's illegal, not the kind of bait itself.

If you use bait for deer . And it happens to attract a bear m thats not illegal . "Hunting a bear over bait is" .
That being said even if you have a bear come to your bait site and have no intentions of attracting said bear hunting that bear or killing that bear . You are 100% legal .

Although the bear may be come a nusiance and come and go or stay constantly and you may have to move on . Bait away bruce44!

Mc

bruce44
10-27-2019, 08:19 AM
If you use bait for deer . And it happens to attract a bear m thats not illegal . "Hunting a bear over bait is" .
That being said even if you have a bear come to your bait site and have no intentions of attracting said bear hunting that bear or killing that bear . You are 100% legal .

Although the bear may be come a nusiance and come and go or stay constantly and you may have to move on . Bait away bruce44!

Mc

Thanks for the clarification.

Muliechaser
10-27-2019, 08:20 AM
Also, does leaving a gut pile out, then shooting a wolf that was attracted to it considered baiting it? So many gray areas.

I would say . YES .leaving a gut pile and knowingly shooting anything attracted to it is considered baiting . If it is a non baitable animal ie predators . Then yes it is illegal . .. look up the wildlife act spend some time going thru it as there is alot to soak in . It tells you everything .

Mc

Muliechaser
10-27-2019, 08:38 AM
Keep in mind . If something is not mentioned in the wildlife act . It is "usually"LEGAL. For example . Hunting grouse using rocks ,slingshot, or airgun is 100% legal . But again the regs do not mention this i beleive . But the wildlife act does mention that if you are using an airgun even if below the federal limit of 500fps it is considered a firearm when being used to hunt wildlife if applicable .

If you ever misunderstand or just doesnt make sence to you a email or phone call to a CO will always clarify any of your questions . Some things can be confusing in the way they word things

Mc

S.W.A.T.
10-27-2019, 08:39 AM
Isn't it unlawful to feed any wildlife?

hparrott
10-27-2019, 08:40 AM
I don’t know about that one. I could be wrong but I thought that if you know/are aware there is bait and shoot an animal or it you be found to be guilty of baiting when it comes to bears. You shoot a bear over bait that isn’t “intended” for bear, how would you prove your intent wasn’t to bait a bear when you are over a bait pile? A bear will eat anything. If you are baiting deer, just hunt bear elsewhere.

Big Lew
10-27-2019, 09:34 AM
Keep in mind . If something is not mentioned in the wildlife act . It is "usually"LEGAL. For example . Hunting grouse using rocks ,slingshot, or airgun is 100% legal . But again the regs do not mention this i beleive . But the wildlife act does mention that if you are using an airgun even if below the federal limit of 500fps it is considered a firearm when being used to hunt wildlife if applicable .

If you ever misunderstand or just doesnt make sence to you a email or phone call to a CO will always clarify any of your questions . Some things can be confusing in the way they word things

Mc

Yes, but to clarify..."using an airgun" an airgun rifle is legal, an airgun pistol is not.

Gateholio
10-27-2019, 10:32 AM

Completely legal to shoot a wolf over bait. Not legal for bear.

Wild one
10-27-2019, 11:33 AM

it’s legal to bait wolves

elknut
10-27-2019, 12:14 PM
I asked a CO in Williams lake about shooting a bear over a kill...He said after a long discussion that if you knowingly new there was a kill and you hunted it then you were guilty of hunting over bait ...If you seen the bear from a distance and shot it then discovered it was on a kill then you didn"t knowingly know so it was ok...Dennis

elknut
10-27-2019, 12:22 PM
The reason I asked the CO was because I was hunting up in 7-18 for grizzly and seen a dead moose on the side of the road ...This was a spring Grizzly hunt..The guide in the area also told me about the kill and not to shoot a grizzly near it cause it was a sow with cubs ...It could of been a dicey situation if I would of killed her and she was alone at the kill ...On my way home I stopped in and had a long discussion with the CO just to ease my anxiety about the situation ..So when in doubt ask a CO ...Its their job to inform you if you ask...Don't assume nothing ....As for the apples ...same thing applies ...You new there was bait there so if a bear came in you are obliged to turn down the bear as its over bait and you new about the bait...Dennis

caddisguy
10-27-2019, 04:13 PM
Never really had any luck baiting deer, at least passed August. They don't seem interested in my offerings of salt, apples and PB... just walk by, not even a sniff.

I wouldn't shoot a bear within proximity (in my case 100 yards of something I left out) Distance might vary depending on area. My 100 yard rule is for an area you can only see 20 max. In an open area I'd give it a lot more room... like 500 yards from bait.

As for salt, I'm not sure I would consider it an attractant. I have hundreds of videos of bears walking right by salt. Never had a single one touch it. I'm not saying it never happens. I'm not very interested in shooting fall bears. I let one walk a couple weeks ago, but if I did want one and it happened to be near salt, I might be inclined as my experience has been that salt isn't a bear attractant.

Apples, COB, PB, gutpile or whatever, definitely bait. Doesn't matter what the intent of the bait was. Shooting a bear near it would definitely be illegal. Even knowingly shooting a bear near someone else's gutpile or even a natural kill / carcass is totally illegal.

100MileGord
10-28-2019, 02:47 PM

Mc

and if you don't like the answer, email a couple of other COs; answers may vary.

A couple of years ago, a rookie CO was giving me a hard time about my defender (pistol grip) shotgun being illegal before his partner came over and got him to calm down. The kid had never seen one before.

We have also been given different opinions on unmarked road closures in the Kootenays.

COs don't know everything: they just think they do.

J_T
10-28-2019, 04:45 PM
and if you don't like the answer, email a couple of other COs; answers may vary.

A couple of years ago, a rookie CO was giving me a hard time about my defender (pistol grip) shotgun being illegal before his partner came over and got him to calm down. The kid had never seen one before.

We have also been given different opinions on unmarked road closures in the Kootenays.

COs don't know everything: they just think they do. Agree with this. I've also had similar occurrences....

To answer the OP. If you are sitting on your stand, looking for deer and using your desired method of attracting them and a bear comes through, but you are concerned about the legalities, don't shoot the bear.

Long story very short... My brother-in law was hunting moose, got attacked by a grizzly, battled with it until it left. In the hospital the CO's wanted to charge him with baiting the grizzly. He didn't know it, but there was moose gut pile 100 yards away. They pursued an investigation until they found out he was the Superintendent of Vancouver Police. But only then, did they back off.

caddisguy
10-28-2019, 04:51 PM

COs don't know everything: they just think they do.

I think that emailing the Ministry is probably the best way to get an authoritative answer, though sometimes it's just as muddy as the wording of the law itself.

Things like shooting grouse with slingshots, using bait for crayfish in lakes with bait bans, etc. have been clarified by the ministry in the passed while CO answers vary. If you can get a clear answer, ministry will be authoritative... and you can print out the reply and keep it in the glove box.

That way it is not up for interpretation by CO's and potential subsequent interpretation of a judge... soo, it helps you out and it helps the CO's out. Win all around. The way some of our laws are written make it difficult for hunters and CO's alike.

bownut
10-28-2019, 06:37 PM
Just hunt and leave the bait at home

HighCountryBC
10-28-2019, 06:45 PM
Just hunt and leave the bait at home

Just hunt and stop bitching about legal methods some hunters may or may not use.

S.W.A.T.
10-28-2019, 07:14 PM
Pretty sure there is some sign's some place that say its unlawful to feed wildlife

Iltasyuko
10-28-2019, 08:14 PM
Just hunt and stop bitching about legal methods some hunters may or may not use.

Yep!

Sooner or later baiting ungulates will be illegal too - just give it time. We keep adding laws on top of laws, rules on top of rules and restrictions on top of restrictions, all in the guise of conservation - meanwhile the resource continues to decline despite the endless rules apparently enacted to save it.

ACB
10-28-2019, 08:33 PM
Sure you can, but I wouldn't shoot a bear over it if I was you. SHOOTING bears over bait, a big NO NO in B.C.! The Reg's aren't that hard to understand.

ACB
10-28-2019, 08:40 PM
Never really had any luck baiting deer, at least passed August. They don't seem interested in my offerings of salt, apples and PB... just walk by, not even a sniff.

I wouldn't shoot a bear within proximity (in my case 100 yards of something I left out) Distance might vary depending on area. My 100 yard rule is for an area you can only see 20 max. In an open area I'd give it a lot more room... like 500 yards from bait.

As for salt, I'm not sure I would consider it an attractant. I have hundreds of videos of bears walking right by salt. Never had a single one touch it. I'm not saying it never happens. I'm not very interested in shooting fall bears. I let one walk a couple weeks ago, but if I did want one and it happened to be near salt, I might be inclined as my experience has been that salt isn't a bear attractant.

Apples, COB, PB, gutpile or whatever, definitely bait. Doesn't matter what the intent of the bait was. Shooting a bear near it would definitely be illegal. Even knowingly shooting a bear near someone else's gutpile or even a natural kill / carcass is totally illegal.
You should try an Saskatchewan food plot, a bale or two of alfalfa and a bag of oats for fussy dear, but I wouldn't shoot a bear over it in B.C.

ACB
10-28-2019, 08:45 PM
Yep!

Sooner or later baiting ungulates will be illegal too - just give it time. We keep adding laws on top of laws, rules on top of rules and restrictions on top of restrictions, all in the guise of conservation - meanwhile the resource continues to decline despite the endless rules apparently enacted to save it.
It was illegal in B.C. fore ever to hunt ungulates over bait but it changed not to long a go, I don't think for the good. It's not hunting.

Gateholio
10-28-2019, 09:14 PM
It was illegal in B.C. fore ever to hunt ungulates over bait but it changed not to long a go, I don't think for the good. It's not hunting.

When did it change? I don't ever recall reading in the "It is unlawful" section about baiting ungulates being illegal. But I guess I have only been looking at the regs for about 30 years or so....

bruce44
10-29-2019, 06:12 PM
Thanks to those who answered the question. Baiting animals to hunt have been around long before quads and side by sides have been. How many of you use those and still consider it hunting? Theres a lot of people who don't consider those equipment hunting either.
I hunt to put food on the table and I'll use every trick I legally can.

boxhitch
10-29-2019, 06:28 PM
Yep!

Sooner or later baiting ungulates will be illegal too - just give it time. We keep adding laws on top of laws, rules on top of rules and restrictions on top of restrictions, all in the guise of conservation - meanwhile the resource continues to decline despite the endless rules apparently enacted to save it.Likely to be bundled with 'no placing feed for ungulates' as a measure against CWD spreading, if and when needed

bownut
10-30-2019, 04:40 PM
Oh it's going to happen. look at the regs down south and you will see our future.
Stay tuned!

bighornbob
10-30-2019, 05:50 PM
Oh it's going to happen. look at the regs down south and you will see our future.
Stay tuned!

A lot of places banned hunting on Sunday's. That never came here. In fact a lot of states are starting to reverse old laws.

bhb

HighCountryBC
10-30-2019, 08:59 PM
Stay tuned!

Don't count on it.

Stay tuned!

boxhitch
10-30-2019, 10:01 PM
turn on , tune in, drop out

Rick42wood
11-11-2019, 09:57 AM
Personally, if I had bait out for an ungulate and a bear came along I wouldn’t shoot it. Too hard to justify to a CO that your intention was not to attract a bear and you probably wouldn’t win in court.

BearSupreme
11-12-2019, 09:59 AM
Isn't it unlawful to feed any wildlife?

Feeding wildlife is illegal, baiting wildlife means you are feeding them for the purpose of hunting them which is legal. The reason for this is they dont want people feeding animals and getting them accustom to humans because all those animals become problems, ungulates or predators.

Busterpayton54
11-16-2019, 01:48 PM
Since this topic is open...
clearly it’s illegal to hunt a bear over a gut pile.

is it also illegal to hunt a bear over its own kill?

is it illegal to hunt a bear that is in the vicinity of say free ranging cow calves?

is it illegal to hunt a bear over a known patch of berries?

im interested to know where the line is drawn.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
11-16-2019, 02:01 PM
over its own kill is one i would like to know too , does that included cougars and wolfs as well ? . placing apples for deer , well . if you attract a bear pull the bait and move , wait till he moves on.. Berries is fine thats a natural food source , like grass or roots . if its stalking calfs , i would say there wouldnt be a problem removing the bear , The good thing about black bear hunting in BC Is you dont need bait . there everywhere !

E.B.
11-16-2019, 02:26 PM
Hi everyone. I read the regulations and it says it is illegal to bait for bears and I've seen a couple posts here with oats as bait. Is it illegal to bait for the PURPOSE of hunting bears, or is it illegal to bait with anything that attracts bears? If I leave apples for the PURPOSE of hunting deer but a bear comes along, am I committing an offense? I've never used bait before so I'd like to get some clarification of the law.
Please, I understand that there's many differing opinions about baiting, but I'm here just for legalities. You can bait for deer legally. Do not shoot a bear at or near your bait if one comes around, period.

moosinaround
11-16-2019, 02:31 PM
Easy, don't shoot a bear that comes to your bait pile! You will not find a deer there if a bear frequents your bait! I have been putting salt out for ungulates for years, and yes i do get bears coming in to it as well, but it is for the moose and deer! Don't need to bait bears in BC anyways, they are like mosquitos, everywhere!! Moosin

the bear
12-01-2019, 08:48 AM
Baiting ANY wildlife should be illegal all these bait piles for deer are B.S.

Muliechaser
12-01-2019, 11:39 AM

Personal opinion .

Wild one
12-01-2019, 01:10 PM

Road hunting should be illegal, shooting within 50yards of any road too, ATVs, shooting beyond 100yards with a rifle, camouflage, crossbows, semiautomatics, and I could add more

All of these things are lazy and unethical ;)