PDA

View Full Version : Caribou Adventure

StoneChaser
10-01-2007, 10:14 AM
A buddy and I headed up north for a late Sept caribou hunt...and hunt we did. We hunted hard, averaging well over 20km/day of hiking in weather that was predominately horizontal precipitation. We managed a few decent "half days" of reasonable weather, and while the country was seemingly devoid of critters, he managed to kill this nice bull.

We spotted him the morning of day 8, ~4km away with 2 cows and 3 smaller bulls, and off we went. We were fortunate that this was one of the only good days of weather we had...which turned out to be a good thing (fresh tracking snow and good visibility).

Two hours after we left after them, we were above where we thought the herd was amongst the srubby subalpine fir choked mountainside. After a little game of cat and mouse and 5 caribou spotted, we determined that the bull had carried on his merry way, and we did a loop above the herd and then back around, finally backtracking on their trail until we found where a single critter had left the trail.

We struck out on the bull's track, close to 2 hours behind him. It led us along the mountain through the thick crap, and then straight up over the top, and the bull never even slowed his long strided breakback pace (anybody that has seen caribou go will know what I mean).

After ~3hours of steady chasing (we were nearly jogging in an attempt to chew up some ground) we came across a bed that was iced over...we were still a ways behind him.

We picked the pace up a bit and kept pushing, and by now had gone over the mountain, halfway around it and were heading back in the direction we had started...still no sign of the bull. It began to look promising though, as the tracks were getting a litttle sharper, and he was grabbing the occasional mouthful of grass and he went.

As he doubled back, we began to see more and more sign that he was feeding, and knew we were getting close now. Rounding a little knoll I spotted his antlers outlined against the snow a scant 150yds away.

The wind was perfect, and as he fed we crept to within 79yds of the bull...one well placed bullet from my buddies 7 Rem Mag and he had his first mtn caribou (first one either of us had been in on actually).

He is a super cool character bull, and was hog fat (nearly 4" of fat on his back!)...with meat that was downright AWESOME (no rutted up taste that I'd heard about on the occasional late Sept caribou).

We deboned him and STUFFED a hind quarter and the head/large cape in my buddie's pack, and the other 3 quarters in my pack and slugged him the 7+km back to camp.

Another 4 days of waiting for the plane and we were headed home...finally!

Although the weather was brutal and critters reasonably scarce, it was an amazing trip and the fishing was good (we even packed rods with us one day on our packs)...we're already for booked next year (different area this time though).

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/StoneChaser/Caribou1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/StoneChaser/Caribou6.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/StoneChaser/Caribou4.jpg

StoneChaser
10-01-2007, 10:16 AM
A few more pics....

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/StoneChaser/Caribou12.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/StoneChaser/Caribou14.jpg

lucky hunter
10-01-2007, 10:38 AM
nice bull congratulations

Kitimat Killer
10-01-2007, 11:03 AM
nice story and good pics plus really nice bull way to go and keep the chase up to get your bull congrats

Orangethunder
10-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Sounds like it was a good time. Nice bull, congrats!! Looks like you had your hands full with the weather too.

Maxx
10-01-2007, 12:30 PM
great story, and a avery nice Bull. You guys are hardcore to be chasing Caribou:smile:, those things cover country fast!

Wildman
10-01-2007, 12:32 PM
Awesome Bull! Way to go!

StoneChaser
10-01-2007, 08:18 PM
Looks like you had your hands full with the weather too.

Seems to be the same story everybody is coming home with...a summer/fall that most pilots, outfitters and residents would love to forget!

Will
10-01-2007, 08:28 PM
super cool character bull
I'll say...lottsa character on that rack !
Nice ! Well done & Thanks for the pics :-P

Orangethunder
10-01-2007, 08:55 PM
Seems to be the same story everybody is coming home with...a summer/fall that most pilots, outfitters and residents would love to forget!

If you ever wanted to test your rain gear this was the year. Love the feeling of wondering if your getting picked up or not.

Not too much worry about meat spoiling though.

Allen50
10-01-2007, 09:42 PM
that's a heavy horned animal, nice,, good pic's thanks for sharing..

tracker
10-01-2007, 09:51 PM
congrats to ya wicked bull. :wink:

paraschost
10-01-2007, 09:52 PM
great story. well done

Krico
10-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Nice bull, crappy weather-sounds like a great trip! Congrats on a nice bull.

pmj
10-01-2007, 11:54 PM
Awsome hunt. What a great chase. Really nice boo. You guys should make a hunters work out video. Those are really great pictures. Thanks for sharing.8-)8-)8-)8-)

kaptkannon
10-02-2007, 12:08 AM
Sounds like it was a good time. Nice bull, congrats!!

Stone Sheep Steve
10-02-2007, 05:00 AM
Great Job S/C! That poor bull had no hope with you guys on his heels!

Cool looking bull and a hardcore hunt!!:cool:

You had 3/4's and you partner had 1/4 plus cape?? You need a new partner???:smile:

SSS

Marc
10-02-2007, 06:58 AM
Yah he carried 3/4 and it wasn't even his boo:biggrin:

Great Job S/C! That poor bull had no hope with you guys on his heels!

Cool looking bull and a hardcore hunt!!:cool:

You had 3/4's and you partner had 1/4 plus cape?? You need a new partner???:smile:

SSS

Sharkey
10-02-2007, 07:36 AM
Great Story and photos - Well done!

StoneChaser
10-02-2007, 07:44 AM

SSS

The cape/antlers was a goodly load in itself, and damn bulky (after adding a quarter his pack was loaded pretty heavy). I'm not sure what a generous shoulder cape plus antlers weigh, but it certainly wasn't light...I had room in my pack.

We both had good loads and big grins, and he's the last guy to give weight away (he'd have packed the entire critter if I'd have let him)!

Besides, my buddy holds the record for the craziest pack out. In a pinch one time he packed a FULL quarter of elk w/backstraps for close to 2km (heavy bush/blowdown)...with no pack and BAIL TWINE for pack straps.... OUCH!!!!!!

The the guy is part animal!

Marc
10-02-2007, 07:59 AM
We're just joking with you StoneChaser, hell I know who I'll invite to go Caribou hunting if I ever decide to go. :biggrin:

BCrams
10-02-2007, 07:59 AM
Great hunt SC. There was a reason there were very few critters around. They got wind that you boys were showing up and thought it was best to leave the country :) The lifespan of an animal is drastically reduced whereever you go.

butcher
10-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Those guys are from Vanderhoof. They get in that kind of shape from chasing sheep in the farmyard wearing only velcro gloves and gumboots.

10-02-2007, 02:48 PM
Nice Bull, thanks for the story and photos. What kind of pack is that your buddy's got there, must be pretty heavy duty:grin:

StoneChaser
10-02-2007, 04:29 PM
Those guys are from Vanderhoof. They get in that kind of shape from chasing sheep in the farmyard wearing only velcro gloves and gumboots.

Funny how spooked they've become since the Sturgeon hatchery came to town ;-)

Alpine85
10-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Great looking bou, love the pictures and good run down on the hunt.