PDA

View Full Version : Bow hunting

calvin L
10-01-2007, 05:39 AM
It looks as if most of the Bow Hunter have picked up there rifles ?:mrgreen: Are there any hardcore bow only hunters not just in the season . I would be out there but I am still doing home reno's I think she is trying to get me to stop hunting LOL.:roll:

dave_fras
10-01-2007, 06:17 AM
i bowhunt all year round.... i got a 4 point whitey last week..... and im gonna start trying for my mulie and a couple weeks... im waiting for them to come down intot he private land that i hunt

calvin L
10-01-2007, 06:21 AM
It is nice to hear I am not one of the only ones that enjoy's it that much to leave the rifle at home .:cool:

J_T
10-01-2007, 06:25 AM
I enjoy my days afield with the bow only. I get out during the GOS a bit and hunt with friends that carry a firearm, however for me, its the bow.

I know many many that hunt strictly with a bow. Most of the GOS hunting I do is either enjoying time with a friend or supporting another hunter, always with an eye on reconnaisance for bow only opportunity.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-01-2007, 09:19 AM
With any muley buck starting today and me with almost zero hunting time, I like to pick up the bow for local close to home areas where a rife isn't allowed(no point in driving an hour into the hills when I only have two or three hours to hunt). Hopefully, heading out to an orchard area Sat eve if I get off work early enough.
Desperately, need some meat for the freezer:roll:.

SSS

greybark
10-01-2007, 09:40 AM
:biggrin:Bow only !!!!!!!!! (Longbow and Recurve)!!!!!!

Ddog
10-01-2007, 11:05 AM
BOW ONLY,, NO EXCEPTIONS FOR ME, I DONT OWN ANY RIFLES.
tagged a nice little mulie buck on the second of sept, and have come sooo close to putting my bull elk down several times, havent even thought of the whities yet

Bowzone_Mikey
10-01-2007, 12:07 PM
Mostly Bow for me ..... I have been known tote a rifle tho this season .... havent used it .... more for moral support for my huntin buddy thats a rifle guy slowly making his way to the light side of archery huntin

Derek_Erickson
10-01-2007, 01:44 PM
im going to hunt yotes with the bow right meow

Poguebilt
10-01-2007, 02:39 PM
never heard of hunting with a bow... :razz:

Greenhead
10-01-2007, 07:55 PM
Shot a deer with my old mans 303 when I was 16:-? Since that day forward it's been Bow Only, 18 years and counting!
GH

Kirby
10-01-2007, 11:04 PM
I'm one of those nuts who pack a stick and string around... Gonna try to find a spike/fork to poke tomorrow morning with it.

Kirby

Derek_Erickson
10-01-2007, 11:26 PM
A spike ! with the bow, come on kirby!

I'm one of those nuts who pack a stick and string around... Gonna try to find a spike/fork to poke tomorrow morning with it.

Kirby

bochunk2000
10-02-2007, 09:19 AM
I have made the transition an I only hunt with a bow now. I've been after this one buck a few times now but he seems to set himself up quite well. I know where he heads now so I will adjust my plan of attack and see how it goes in the next couple of days.
Steve.

bwhnter
10-02-2007, 09:42 AM
Bow only for elk, moose, and bear. Have packed both a gun and a bow on all of my sheep hunts and depending on what the weather is like during the Nov deer season and the size of the buck. I always have a rifle in the truck in case I see a wolf or a yote. Learn my lesson a couple of years ago when I only had my bow and I howled a pack of wolves into 80 yards.

Kirby
10-02-2007, 12:59 PM
A spike ! with the bow, come on kirby!

Well I didn't get a moose draw... so I figured I'd stick to whats GOS.

Kirby

Derek_Erickson
10-02-2007, 01:10 PM
misunderstood, completely thought you were talkin about deer yeh whackin one with the bow would be good

Kirby
10-02-2007, 01:16 PM
misunderstood, completely thought you were talkin about deer yeh whackin one with the bow would be good

No, tend to hold out for deer. This year 170+ mulie and white-tail depends on what I am seeing or if its outta reg 3.

Kirby

Bow Walker
10-02-2007, 08:00 PM
Put me down for Bow Only hunting. Sold all my guns a couple years ago and have not regretted it at all.

Avalanche123
10-03-2007, 07:44 AM
Bow Only for me. I have tried to hunt with rifle hunters at the sametime but it doesn't seem to be a good combo.

I try and get out a fair bit as there are a number of bow seasons (Region 6 anyway) to take advantage of without needing LEH.

On that note, I am yet to get an animal with my bow (5 yrs now bow only) but did get meat in the freezer when my buddy shot one with his rifle. (Different hunting strategies.)

springpin
10-03-2007, 08:02 AM
Bow only for me, now...Getting a Sako finnwolf .243 from the old man, sometime...

islandarcher
10-03-2007, 02:40 PM
don't even own a rifle. Have shot ducks with the shotgun, but duck hunting for me is more an opportunity to hang out with friends. I don't think I will ever trade my longbow for a rifle. If I ever shot somethign with a rifle, I would always wonder if I could of done it with my bow.

diggerpax
10-03-2007, 11:03 PM
Have you every tried shooting birds with your bow? It is a riot, hard as hell, but fun. the only down side is trying to get a safe shot when using a dog.

Bowzone_Mikey
10-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Have you every tried shooting birds with your bow? It is a riot, hard as hell, but fun. the only down side is trying to get a safe shot when using a dog.

use a long bow and flu flu arrows ...get em outta the air ... way more fun ....

Thunderstix
10-04-2007, 07:13 PM
I have been hunting with both rifle and Black Widow Recurve and have not killed anything with either....except for grouse with the recurve of course. But.....last Saturday afternoon I put a stalk on a 2x3 spiker moose with 2 cows. I called the cows towards myself at 20 yards and the bull was not happy that his women were checking me out. He ran back and forth in front of me with a 10 foot patch of willows separating us although I was about 10 feet higher than him on a bank. This went on for quite some time with a couple of stare downs. I set up in front of an opening about 6 feet wide and cow called once more. Over the bull ran and as he went past the opening I came to full draw (20 yards) and grunted to stop him....the little bugger took one step too many and only his butt was sticking out into the opening. That was it, he would not come back into the opening after that. I could hit him with a rock at any time but cannot shoot arrows through 10 feet of leafless willows....my .375 H&H which was back in my truck would have been handy right about then. That was my third bow crack at a moose since Labour Day but the first time i actually drew my bow. Ok, since you asked, I must tell you how the first moose busted me. I started my stalk 400 yards away with the wind in my favour. I managed to make my way around no less than 8 dang grouse without spooking any of them. When i get to 50 yards or so the moose bolts away without warning! I knew for a fact that he did not see me, hear me, or smell me. Suddenly I catch movement out of the corner of my right eye. There, about 60 yards away, standing on top of a bank stamping his front hooves is a very nice whitetail buck. He is absolutely staring at me. Looking at where he was he had to have been watching me during the entire stalk and I was getting a little too close so he stomped a warning and alerted my moose meat! First time I have been ganged up on by ungulates :lol:. Pretty cool experience either way.
Took tomorrow off to try and get elk primarily so maybe will have a story with a better ending tomorrow night. Going to hunt the Tetsa River on foot. So far have 65 kms on my GPS and all on foot! Since Labour Day!

5/10/85
11-05-2007, 08:18 PM
only the bow for me. Nothing like seeing the whites of their eyes from 20 yards before you let 'em have it. I don't really see the thrill of downing an animal from 250 yards. Seems more like target practice to me. But I'm sure some day I'll pick up a rifle. =)

oldtimer
11-06-2007, 06:35 AM
Going out tomorrow with my buddy and he will have his rifle and I will have my bow. we both have doe draws. I will hunt with a rifle or a bow depending on the people and how full or empty the frezzer is.

Yup you heard me, Doe Draw , no shame, no shame. lol Mike

Bow Walker
11-06-2007, 10:03 AM
Don't be shy Mike - Doe meat is "mighty tasty treats" in my book. When I hunt, I hunt for "eating" meat, not the headgear. Although.........