PDA

View Full Version : Perseverance Sheep Hunt 2019

Gunner
10-21-2019, 12:45 PM
LEH 2019 started out like most of my last 20 years with me putting in for long shots, Okanagan sheep and moose and Island elk. I had a few health issues and was sure, like most other years, I would get a big goose egg. Well,if I didn’t get the coveted sheep draw! I was over the moon, naturally, but worried I wouldn’t be able to do the hunt physically after having major surgery followed by 5 months of chemo which left me with zero immunity and blood tests showing I had anemia. I only had August to get my poop in a group.
A huge chain of events started unravelling that still amazes me. My godson’s hunting buddy, Dorian, had recently moved to Kamloops and was willing to put in some time if I was able to go. Dennis found out about my draw and got in touch with Dave who got in touch with others…you get the idea.
While all this is happening and I’m talking to these amazing guys about the hunt I’m having trouble not getting winded walking up a flight of stairs. I let them in on the reality of the situation and the crazy newts were still all in.
The draw was for the whole month of September and I was told there is zero drinkable water in the area. I wasn’t too worried since September should be cool, right? The end of August rolled around and I could walk up my driveway without passing out…mostly. To say the least, I was NOT optimistic about my chances of making it to the top of these mountains once never mind multiple times but no guts, no glory!
Dorian made arrangements that we would do some scouting and a water drop before opening day so we could camp on the hill. At the end of August we donned our packs and headed up. So much for cool temps, the first half of the hunt was pretty much 30 degree days and did I mention that you have to bring ALL your water with you? Oh ya…I did. You also can’t really wear shorts because of rattle snakes…like we’d ever run into one of those…
Our first trip up was VERY SLOW. Dorian didn’t say a thing about it and stopped frequently to let me catch up. Quite often he would say HE needed to rest just when I thought my lungs were going to explode. Thanks man….seriously. We made it up, eventually, to a spot where we dropped water after glassing along the way and turned around to come back down. We didn’t see sheep or much sign. Halfway down, we encountered our first rattle snake…rattling…right beside the path. Talk about camouflage! We gave the snake a very wide berth and continued on to the bottom. We did run into a few more later. I was exhausted and in even more doubt that I could do the same hike with camping gear and a rifle.
I went home and packed and re-packed with a few phone calls with Dorian to see if I was on the right track. I had never hunted like this before and knew Dorian was taking more than his share to keep my pack as light as possible.
Day before opening we loaded up and headed up the hill, planning on 3-4 nights. It was another very slow ascent with lots of rest stops for me. We made it up higher than our water drop and set up camp, again glassing all the way. This time we saw 5-7 sheep…we may have seen the same 2 sheep twice because they were similar size and location. The largest was half a curl. We did some hikes and found some old sign but not much else. We headed back down again to regroup and for me to rest up.
The following week I got a call from Dave who had arranged another trip up, this time on horseback! Jesse came to the rescue with his horses that took me and all the gear up to a different area where we camped for 2 more nights. Jesse waited until we arrived uphill to tell me the horse I was riding was an ex-rodeo (as in bucking) horse ! lol
Once again we glassed and hiked, managed to see some sign but no sheep. The whole trip so far was so awesome, no time for discouragement as finding and harvesting an animal is not the only thing hunting is all about and it was so great to meet others who felt the same.
It was about another 10 days before we could get back up, it was to be day hunts from here on in but I was feeling better and more confident that I could git er dun…everyone was SO patient which was great. Dave and I met in the morning and hiked up to another area and glassed, glassed and hiked…no sheep. I felt bad because I knew how much effort was going into this and that the boys just wanted to find me a sheep. Nearing the end of the second day, Dave glassed a hillside on the way out one last time and SHEEP!!! A group of 8 rams and one stood out although there were several other nice rams as well. Of course they weren’t close so off we went to see how close we could get without them seeing us. It wasn’t the best shooting spot for me and a 327 yard distance, they were also bedded down so we moved to another spot to wait for them to move. They ended up getting up and moving away from us and over a ridge. We backed away with intent to come back for them as the day was done.
The next day I was on my own so I hiked a lower area we were told about, it was sunny but rainy and extremely windy. I saw nothing but I think I headed the wrong way on the trail. I also manage to get cactus stuck to my legs and the barbs broke off in my leg...argh. Apparently I don’t do well without supervision?
Dave was able to come out the next day so we could head up to look for the group he had spotted previously. (There was a little more pep in our step, despite both of us getting nipped and then bit by an off leash Weimaraner) We hiked with purpose but much stealth up the hill, I had a great feeling about this day even though the weather was rainy and cold. Well, we got to where the sheep should have been, then where they went over the ridge…and there on the other side in plain view was a camp setup. A tent with a tarp over it...and no sheep anywhere. It was Friday and these hikes were taking a bit of a toll so we headed back down.
I haven’t mentioned Dorian for a bit because his work had him out for the rest of the hunt. But wait, just before heading down I get a text from Dorian that says he’s now free for the weekend! The more eyes the better so we told him to come on down. By the time we were down he was already glassing the hills. I met up with him and we moved to another glassing spot, looking for the group of 8 but instead found a pair of decent rams. A plan was made to go into where the pair was spotted the next morning. Dorian would take me in this time, Dave had been doing all this work with a very painful back/leg issue which concerned me and which I felt very bad about but Dave never complained.
The next morning we hiked into where we thought they’d be and this time I spotted them bedded down. Dorian set up the scope and found them both fairly similar and at about 340 yards. We’d have to get closer to make sure nothing went wrong. We snuck back out and around and up and over and back down (I was getting used to the terrain at least) only to find they were now at 380 yards. Crap! Off to find a closer/better spot. Back out, over, around, up, down….again. OK, now we’re talking. Good cover, they’re bedded and they range at 265 yards. Time to practice rifle rest, etc. Nope, Dorian says ‘They’re getting up!’ I get up and try to get the rifle rested and aimed, needless to say I am totally calm but the rifle isn’t…that’s my story. ;o)
(continued)

Gunner
10-21-2019, 12:46 PM
As I’m trying to get lined up for a good shot they move behind some trees, one disappears from view. This sure is nerve wracking, can’t they stand still, broadside and in the open? While I am trying to calm the ‘ram fever’ and find the ram through my rifle scope Dorian is looking through the spotting scope and keeping me informed of their movements. My adrenaline was really going…I was having issues with finding the sheep with the scope since they blend in EXTREMELY well. I haven’t shot tons of animals and I needed a good shot or I would not shoot…period. I was zooming the scope out to locate the sheep then zooming in to shoot but then I’d lose the sheep. I heard Dorian’s updates but I was just concentrating and not answering…I finally hear an exasperated Dorian say ‘Talk to me Goose!’ which made me laugh so I lost the sheep in the scope…again. I was so happy these two sheep weren’t in a hurry!! I truly never thought of asking him to adjust my scope for me while I kept them in view...live and learn!?
I finally feel secure about my shot, the sheep’s bottom half is in bushes but I can totally see the top half including his head and he seems to be broad side. I slow my breath and pull the trigger. The shot was placed correctly (YES!!) so we made our way over to find he had tumbled down a rocky slope, only about 20’ which is great considering the terrain. After all the effort everyone had put in I still had to scramble down this rough slope to finally put my hands on this magnificent animal, SUCCESS!!! I said some silent words of thanks while Dorian came down to start the next phase.
While we are dealing with the sheep I get a text on my phone from an injured Dave telling us he can glass for us from below if we like. I tell him ‘sheep down’ and a few minutes later I get a text saying ‘Parked and on my way up’. That man made it up the hill, in pain, in record time! There was so much excitement, all the hard work on everyone’s part ending up in the harvest of a beautiful sheep.
It’s funny to write this after some time has passed. It brings it all back so clearly and I know I will never forget this hunt. As I said earlier, we all know it’s not just about harvesting an animal. I learned so much from everyone that I spent time hunting with and would be honored to hunt with any one of them again.
The events that took place to get me to the point where I pulled the trigger were unforgettable and I am filled with so much gratitude to everyone involved. In no particular order: Dennis, Dorian, Dave, Jesse, Craig, Andrew, this would NOT have happened without your help and support…THANK YOU. Don & Gary, the rifle now has some war wounds (aka character) after my time on the hill but it’s still amazing…THANK YOU. Omer Hrbinic (Precision Optics),for your generous donations to the WSSBC that allowed me to win the most wonderful Swarovski scope used on this hunt…THANK YOU. I also had so many friends and family rooting for me on this bucket list hunt, their encouragement along with the enthusiasm of my new hunting friends were what kept me going. Should I have done this hunt health wise ? Probably not. Would I do it again ? HELL YA!
Note: My phone, which I forgot to take one day, tells me in the 13 days we spent on the hill (we spent an additional 2-3 days glassing and checking access before opening) we hiked 135 km and climbed 674 floors. Quite a kick start back into the land of the living!
Mrs. Gunner

jan.wi97
10-21-2019, 12:55 PM
Thank you so much for that awesome write up!
Congratulations to you!!
Dave told me a bit about your story and had us all really excited
waiting for your contribution!

I absolutely admire your perseverance!
Thank you so much for sharing that wonderful experience...

f350ps
10-21-2019, 01:11 PM
WOW!!!!!!! Very well done Denise, I'm certain Mur was looking down with a huge smile on his face! Hat's off to all that made this happen, you guys rock! K

pnbrock
10-21-2019, 01:12 PM
Fantastic write up by both involved. So happy this has a happy ending now let’s see a pretty smile and a big ram !!

sledhead079
10-21-2019, 01:22 PM
I tried to put some pics up but it's not working.

rocksteady
10-21-2019, 01:37 PM
Awesomeness!!!

For someone who has been thru so much recent hardship, you deserve this trophy!!!!

Weatherby Fan
10-21-2019, 01:41 PM
LEH 2019 started out like most of my last 20 years with me putting in for long shots, Okanagan sheep and moose and Island elk. I had a few health issues and was sure, like most other years, I would get a big goose egg. Well,if I didn’t get the coveted sheep draw! I was over the moon, naturally, but worried I wouldn’t be able to do the hunt physically after having major surgery followed by 5 months of chemo which left me with zero immunity and blood tests showing I had anemia. I only had August to get my poop in a group.
A huge chain of events started unravelling that still amazes me. My godson’s hunting buddy, Dorian, had recently moved to Kamloops and was willing to put in some time if I was able to go. Dennis found out about my draw and got in touch with Dave who got in touch with others…you get the idea.
While all this is happening and I’m talking to these amazing guys about the hunt I’m having trouble not getting winded walking up a flight of stairs. I let them in on the reality of the situation and the crazy newts were still all in.
The draw was for the whole month of September and I was told there is zero drinkable water in the area. I wasn’t too worried since September should be cool, right? The end of August rolled around and I could walk of my driveway without passing out…mostly. To say the least, I was NOT optimistic about my chances of making it to the top of these mountains once never mind multiple times but no guts, no glory!
Dorian made arrangements that we would do some scouting and a water drop before opening day so we could camp on the hill. At the end of August we donned our packs and headed up. So much for cool temps, the first half of the hunt was pretty much 30 degree days and did I mention that you have to bring ALL your water with you? Oh ya…I did. You also don’t really wasn’t to wear shorts because of rattle snakes…like we’d ever run into one of those…
Our first trip up was VERY SLOW. Dorian didn’t say a thing about it and stopped frequently to let me catch up. Quite often he would say HE needed to rest just when I thought my lungs were going to explode. Thanks man….seriously.We made it up, eventually, to a spot where we dropped water after glassing along the way and turned around to come back down. We didn’t see sheep or much sign. Halfway down, we encountered our first rattle snake…rattling…right beside the path. Talk about camouflage! We gave the snake a very wide berth and continued on to the bottom. We did run into a few more later. I was exhausted and in even more doubt I could do the same hike with camping gear and a rifle.
I went home and packed and re-packed after a few phone calls with Dorian to see if I was on the right track. I had never hunted like this before and knew Dorian was taking more than his share to keep my pack as light as possible.
Day before opening we loaded up and headed uphill, planning on 3-4 nights. It was another very slow ascent with lots of rest stops. We made it up higher than our water drop and set up camp, again glassing all the way. In the time there we saw 5-7 sheep…we may have seen the same 2 sheep twice because they were in roughly the same area. The largest was half a curl. We did some hikes and found some old sign but not much else. We headed back down again to regroup and for me to rest up.
The following week I got a call from Dave who had arranged another trip up, this time on horseback! Jesse came to the rescue with his horses that took me and all the gear up to a different area where we camped for 2 more nights. Once again we glassed and hiked, managed to see some sign but no sheep. The whole trip so far was so awesome, no time for discouragement as finding and harvesting an animal is not the only thing hunting is all about and it was so great to meet others who felt the same.
It was about another 10 days before we could get back up, it was to be day hunts from here on in but I was feeling better and more confident that I could git er dun…everyone was SO patient which was great. Dave and I met in the morning and hiked up to another area and glassed, glassed and hiked…no sheep. I felt bad because I knew how much effort was going into this and that the boys just wanted to find me a sheep. Nearing the end of the second day, Dave glassed a hillside on the way out one last time and SHEEP!!! A group of 8 rams and one stood out although there were several other nice rams as well. Of course they weren’t close so off we went to see how close we could get without them seeing us. It wasn’t the best shooting spot for me and a 327 yard distance,they were also bedded down so we moved to another spot to wait for them tomove. They ended up getting up and moving away from us and over a ridge. We backed away with intent to come back for them as the day was done.
The next day I was on my own so I hiked a lower area we were told about, it was sunny but rainy and extremely windy. I saw nothing but I think I headed the wrong way on the trail. I also manage to get cactus stuck tomy legs and the barbs broke off in my leg...argh. Apparently I don’t do well without supervision?
Dave was able to come out the next day so we could head up the group he had spotted previously. (There was a little more pep in our step, despite both of us getting nipped and then bit by an off leash Weimaraner) We hiked with purpose but much stealth up the hill, I had a great feeling about this day even though the weather was rainy and cold. Well, we got to where the sheep should have been, then where they went over the ridge…and there on the other side in plain view was a camp setup. A tent with a tarp over it...and no sheep anywhere. It was Friday and these hikes were taking a bit of a toll so we headed back down.
I haven’t mentioned Dorian for a bit because his work had him out for the rest of the hunt. But wait, just before heading down I get a text from Dorian that says he’s free for the weekend! The more eyes the better so we told him to come on down. By the time we were down he was already glassing the hills. I met up with him and we moved to another glassing spot, looking for the group of 8 but instead found a pair of decent rams. A plan was made to go into where the pair was spotted the next morning. Dorian would take me in this time, Dave had been doing all this work with a very painful back/leg issue which concerned me and which I felt very bad about.
The next morning we hiked into where we thought they’d be and this time I spotted them bedded down. Dorian set up the scope and found them both fairly similar and at about 340 yards. We’d have to get closer to make sure nothing went wrong. We snuck back out and around and up and over and back down (I was getting used to the terrain at least) only to find they were now at 380 yards. Crap! Off to find a closer/better spot. Back out, over,around, up, down….again. OK, now we’re talking. Good cover, they’re bedded and they range at 265 yards. Time to practice rifle rest, etc. Nope, Dorian says ‘They’re getting up!’ I get up and try to get the rifle rested and aimed, needless to say I am totally calm but the rifle isn’t…that’s my story. ;o)
(continued)

https://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/WeatherbyFan65/IMG_0599_zpsjaquh09k.jpeg (http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/WeatherbyFan65/media/IMG_0599_zpsjaquh09k.jpeg.html)
https://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/WeatherbyFan65/IMG_0900_zpsqa1jnqpf.jpg[/URL[URL=http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/WeatherbyFan65/media/IMG_0888_zpss489bcmg.jpeg.html]https://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/WeatherbyFan65/IMG_0888_zpss489bcmg.jpeg[/URL[URL=http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/WeatherbyFan65/media/IMG_0817_zpsyd3wow5m.jpeg.html]https://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/WeatherbyFan65/IMG_0817_zpsyd3wow5m.jpeg[/URL[URL="http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/WeatherbyFan65/media/IMG_0819_zpsigspgedo.jpeg.html"]https://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/WeatherbyFan65/IMG_0819_zpsigspgedo.jpeg (http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/WeatherbyFan65/media/IMG_0900_zpsqa1jnqpf.jpg.html)

Weatherby Fan
10-21-2019, 01:47 PM
As I’m trying to get lined up for a good shot they move behind some trees, one disappears from view. This sure is nerve wracking, can’t they stand still, broadside and in the open? While I am trying to calm the ram fever and find the ram through the scope Dorian is looking through the spotting scope and keeping me informed of their movements. My adrenaline was really going…I was having issues with finding the sheep with the scope since they blend in EXTREMELY well. I haven’t shot tons of animals and I needed a good shot or I would not shoot…period. I was zooming the scope out to locate the sheep then zooming in to shoot but then I’d lose the sheep. I hear Dorian’s updates but I was just concentrating and not answering…I finally hear an exasperated Dorian say ‘Talk to me Goose!’ which made me laugh so I lost the sheep in the scope…again. I was so happy these two sheep weren’t in a hurry!! I truly never thought of asking him to adjust my scope for me while I kept them in view...live and learn!?
I finally feel secure about my shot, the sheep’s bottom half is in bushes but I can totally see the top half including his head and he seems to be broad side. I slow my breath and pull the trigger. The shot was placed correctly (YES!!) so we made our way over to find he had tumbled down a rocky slope, only about 20’ which is great considering the terrain. After all the effort everyone had put in I still had to scramble down this rough slope to finally put my hands on this magnificent animal, SUCCESS!!! I said some silent words of thanks while Dorian came down to start the next phase.
While we are dealing with the sheep I get a text on my phone from an injured Dave telling us he can glass for us from below if we like. I tell him ‘sheep down’ and a few minutes later I get a text saying ‘Parked and on my way up’. That man made it up the hill, in pain, in record time! There was so much excitement, all the hard work on everyone’s part ending up in the harvest of a beautiful sheep.
It’s funny to write this after some time has passed. It brings it all back so clearly and I know I will never forget this hunt. As I said earlier, we all know it’s not just about harvesting an animal. I learned so much from everyone that I spent time hunting with and would be honored to hunt with any of them again in the future….hint hint!
The events that took place to get me to the point where I pulled the trigger were unforgettable and I am filled with so much gratitude to everyone involved. In no particular order: Dennis, Dorian, Dave, Jesse, Craig, Andrew, this would NOT have happened without your help and support…THANK YOU. Don & Gary, the rifle now has some war wounds (aka character) after my time on the hill but it’s still amazing…THANK YOU. Omer Hrbinic (Precision Optics),for your generous donations to the WSSBC that allowed me to win the most wonderful Swarovski scope used on this hunt…THANK YOU. I also had so many friends and family rooting for me on this bucket list hunt, their encouragement along with the enthusiasm of my new hunting friends were what kept me going. I have been asking myself if I would ever do this again and the answer is a resounding HELL YA!
Note: My phone, which I forgot to take one day, tells me in the 13 days we spent on the hill (we spent an additional 2-3 days glassing and checking access) we hiked 135 km and climbed 674 floors. Quite a kick start back into the land of the living! Oh and I’d like everyone to go on YouTube and watch the Old Town Road clip so you can have it stuck in your heads like it’s still stuck in mine…thanks Brownie.
Mrs. Gunner

https://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/WeatherbyFan65/IMG_9124_zpsobbmt6xi.jpg[/URL[URL=http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/WeatherbyFan65/media/IMG_9125_zpsfbh8snun.jpg.html]https://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/WeatherbyFan65/IMG_9125_zpsfbh8snun.jpg[/URL[URL=http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/WeatherbyFan65/media/IMG_0832_zpsx1joehp4.jpeg.html]https://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/WeatherbyFan65/IMG_0832_zpsx1joehp4.jpeg[/URL[URL=http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/WeatherbyFan65/media/IMG_0839_zpskbtvskjc.jpeg.html]https://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/WeatherbyFan65/IMG_0839_zpskbtvskjc.jpeg (http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/WeatherbyFan65/media/IMG_9124_zpsobbmt6xi.jpg.html)
https://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/WeatherbyFan65/IMG_0889_zpsuwlsqg0r.jpeg (http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/WeatherbyFan65/media/IMG_0889_zpsuwlsqg0r.jpeg.html)

Weatherby Fan
10-21-2019, 01:50 PM
https://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/WeatherbyFan65/IMG_9125_zpsfbh8snun.jpg[/URL[URL=http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/WeatherbyFan65/media/IMG_0893_zpsd1s9bnpu.jpeg.html]https://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/WeatherbyFan65/IMG_0893_zpsd1s9bnpu.jpeg[/URL[URL="http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/WeatherbyFan65/media/IMG_0894_zpsvkindblh.jpeg.html"]https://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/WeatherbyFan65/IMG_0894_zpsvkindblh.jpeg (http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/WeatherbyFan65/media/IMG_9125_zpsfbh8snun.jpg.html)

https://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/WeatherbyFan65/IMG_2285_zpse9f0osfa.jpg (http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/WeatherbyFan65/media/IMG_2285_zpse9f0osfa.jpg.html)

Jagermeister
10-21-2019, 01:55 PM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/images/smilies/character0110.gif
In the beginning
https://i.postimg.cc/v8pB8CDc/Resized-20190925-152553-814.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/Jzyt1m5D/Resized-20190912-063625-2247.jpg

Notice the foot ware in above photo.

Do you think this would stop him or slow him up? Nope!
https://i.postimg.cc/q7s1ZPYS/Resized-20190917-184026-7532.jpg

Weatherby Fan
10-21-2019, 02:03 PM
Congratulations Denise, that's a beautiful Ram, great shooting girl ! I can hear Murray smiling with pride.

Ive always admired the dedication of Sheep hunters but you bring that admiration to a whole new level Denise.

Congratulations and many thanks to all those involved, hunters are great people and this story proves it.

Respectfully.....

Jagermeister
10-21-2019, 02:08 PM
Can you see the sheep? 8 rams to the left of the black tree.

https://i.postimg.cc/L4q5pm9c/42.jpg

boxhitch
10-21-2019, 02:13 PM
Looks like a 243 brass, attago !

Stone Sheep Steve
10-21-2019, 02:24 PM
So much awesomeness and inspiration all rolled into one hunt.

Congrats everyone involved and thanks for taking the time to share this amazing experience!

SSS

srupp
10-21-2019, 02:29 PM
Tears of happiness. .along with memorable quotes..poop in a group..and talk to me goose. .lmao !
congrafulations Dear..you earn every sheep..but doesnt hurt to have angels watching over you..and yes even walking besides you.
May your health continue to improve..is our Prayer.
Thank you for being such an inspiration.
Susan Steven Rupp

Slinky Pickle
10-21-2019, 02:34 PM
Congratulations Denise. I'm so glad you posted your story for us. It was an honour to be there with you when Lyle got his horn bling the other day. Can't wait to hear about your next adventure(s).

quadrakid
10-21-2019, 02:41 PM
You are a trooper and have some wonderful friends. Great Ram!!

Ride Red
10-21-2019, 02:48 PM
Great story; way to go everyone.

bc8x8
10-21-2019, 03:04 PM
All I can say is....WOW!!!!

Ross

twoSevenO
10-21-2019, 03:08 PM
I couldn't assemble a team of spotters and horses like that if i went around begging. You have some truly wonderful folks you can call friends.

Congrats on everything.

Ourea
10-21-2019, 03:08 PM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/images/smilies/character0110.gif
In the beginnin
https://i.postimg.cc/v8pB8CDc/Resized-20190925-152553-814.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/Jzyt1m5D/Resized-20190912-063625-2247.jpg

Notice the foot ware in above photo.

Do you think this would stop him or slow him up? Nope!
https://i.postimg.cc/q7s1ZPYS/Resized-20190917-184026-7532.jpg

Dont think folks like to see my disgusting toes from too many years of heavy loads. My days as a foot model are probably behind me. As I said in the thread tee’ing up this one.....my little ouies were not going to get in the way knowing what this incredible gal was fighting thru each day.

LBM
10-21-2019, 03:12 PM
Congrats to you on a beautiful ram.
Wishing you the best.

Blockcaver
10-21-2019, 03:29 PM
Big congratulations to you Denise and atta-boys to those that volunteered to help! Great writeup!

goatdancer
10-21-2019, 04:18 PM
Great ram. Great story. Great friends to have. Best wishes in your quest for good health again. And may you have many, many more awesome hunts.

358mag
10-21-2019, 05:14 PM
Congrats Denise way to go !!!!! Epic adventure glad it worked out for you and your motley crew .

Big Lew
10-21-2019, 05:19 PM
Without a doubt the best and most inspiring hunting story I've read. Congratulations to you, your
attitude, and perseverance. And most importantly, to those that pitched in and helped! It just doesn't
get any better than your hunt with so many people unselfishly going the extra miles to make it happen.

GEF
10-21-2019, 05:26 PM
Now thats an epic sheep hunt!I love it >

paraschost
10-21-2019, 06:03 PM
Absolutely fantastic. Thx for sharing

mad_mallard
10-21-2019, 06:19 PM
Congratulations !!!!!!
closing the deal on a ram in itself would be awesome. Doing so to end such a hard earned effort makes it so much better. My hats off to you ,well done ����

RiverOtter
10-21-2019, 07:00 PM
Knowing what it takes to hunt sheep and be successful, only makes this story that much sweeter.

Huge congrats on pushing through, Denise, and taking a couple standup guys along for the ride. Couldn't be happier for you.

Bugle M In
10-21-2019, 07:19 PM
Congrats to all, for all the help and a straight shot with lots and lots of effort behind it!!!!
Outstanding folks.

nature girl
10-21-2019, 07:22 PM
Wow you go Girl. A well deserved Ram for sure.

MB_Boy
10-21-2019, 07:25 PM
Awesome Mrs. Gunner. Big shout out to Ourea and others who helped out including his funky toe. :mrgreen:

DStewart
10-21-2019, 07:42 PM
Awesome story, congrats on a great ram! Really enjoyed the read, definitely inspires to write up a story of my own.

silvertipp
10-21-2019, 07:50 PM
Congrats to all involved
I have been lucky enough to go on a couple of these hunts out of penticton and no just how much effort goes into this hunt
thanks for taking us on the journey with you
A beautiful ram that was well earned

Gunner
10-21-2019, 08:05 PM
Congratulations Denise, that's a beautiful Ram, great shooting girl ! I can hear Murray smiling with pride.

Ive always admired the dedication of Sheep hunters but you bring that admiration to a whole new level Denise.

Congratulations and many thanks to all those involved, hunters are great people and this story proves it.

Respectfully.....

Thanks so much Don, for the sweet lil 243 that is an amazing rifle and for posting the pics. I think Mur was sitting on my shoulder for this one and yes, he would be VERY happy.

REMINGTON JIM
10-21-2019, 08:09 PM
Congrats Denise ! You are a Real Hunter and I'm sure Murray IS so Very Proud of you ! Good on ALL the people that helped you out to achieve - its a Wonderfull Storey ! One of the BEST Ever ! :smile: RJ

358mag
10-21-2019, 08:33 PM
congrats denise ! You are a real hunter and i'm sure murray is so very proud of you ! Good on all the people that helped you out to achieve - its a wonderfull storey ! One of the best ever ! :smile: Rj
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^x 2^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

HarryToolips
10-21-2019, 08:39 PM
Very well done! I looked forward to this story after what Dave had written...incredible perseverance congrats..

Ourea
10-21-2019, 08:39 PM
To see the increase in this gal’s appearance, enthusiasm, strength over the hunt (not that it was ever in doubt as I quickly learned) I saw her just becoming stronger, healthier. I personally believe that the outdoor lifestyle can be a tremendous tool for health, be it spiritually or physically. Thanks Denise for inspiring US as a community. We all wish you a bright and healthy future.

f350ps
10-21-2019, 08:47 PM
To see the increase in this gal’s appearance, enthusiasm, strength over the hunt (not that it was ever in doubt as I quickly learned) I saw her just becoming stronger, healthier. I personally believe that the outdoor lifestyle can be a tremendous tool for health, be it spiritually or physically. Thanks Denise for inspiring US as a community. We all wish you a bright and healthy future.
Well said Ourea, I'm certain Denise will soar from here on in, she was married to one hell of a mentor and you guys just continued that tradition, well done!! K

jimzuk
10-21-2019, 08:56 PM
What an inspiring story. Thanks for sharing

bchunter181
10-22-2019, 02:07 PM
amazing story and beautiful ram way to go!

rem338win
10-22-2019, 02:30 PM
That's absolutely awesome! I am so happy all those great people got into the experience with you and made the effort they did. Youre good people and is shows.

You're perseverance and spirit are admirable and encouraging. Keep it up Denise!

rocksteady
10-22-2019, 03:48 PM
Thanks so much Don, for the sweet lil 243 that is an amazing rifle and for posting the pics. I think Mur was sitting on my shoulder for this one and yes, he would be VERY happy.

Yes.. he was and is.. you made him proud maam

j270wsm
10-23-2019, 04:51 PM
Congratulations on an amazing trophy. You are one tough woman to take on the challenge of sheep hunting considering everything that you've recently been through. The reward of your hard work must feel amazing.

Ourea......you and the others who helped make this hunt happen are awesome. It takes a special kind of person to put that much effort into helping someone you don’t know. Thank you for being so dedicated.

ncurrie
10-23-2019, 08:04 PM
What a amazing story! You are a true inspiration and I so glad you had some amazing help. This sounds like a hunt of a life time and I’m so glad you go to do Denise. Huge congratulations to you and your crew ❤️

Timberjack
10-23-2019, 08:44 PM
Wow. I don't know too many people like you. A rare treat to read these stories! Way to go!

TJ

scttlp86
10-26-2019, 05:31 PM
Way to go! Nice Ram

250 sav
10-26-2019, 07:48 PM
Excellent, The team effort and chasing a dream without giving up is awesome.

Bustercluck
10-26-2019, 10:19 PM
That’s a great story!

when I first opened the thread I skipped the story and went straight to the pics where I recognized Dorian from living with me in port Alice almost twenty years ago. Great guy, I’m glad everything worked out for you.

mpotzold
10-26-2019, 11:14 PM
Wow!
Congrats!
What HBC is all about!:smile:

10-27-2019, 09:46 AM
What a Great story this is. Hunters helping hunters. Hats off to all involved you lead by terrific example.

Thanks for sharing this story.

A special way to go to Denice, your persistance and efforts to complete your end goal has lead to a lifetime of reward and memories.
:mrgreen:

northof49
10-27-2019, 06:24 PM
Thank you for sharing....very inspirational. Strength and perseverance....resulting in a dandy ram!! Congratulations Mrs Gunner.

Knute
10-29-2019, 08:42 AM
Congratulations on an outstanding 3D hunt...Denise
Dorian
Dave....

Very inspiring to read

Getbent
10-29-2019, 11:13 AM
Thank you....great epic story...all should be proud!

Gunner
10-31-2019, 08:46 PM
Congratulations Denise. I'm so glad you posted your story for us. It was an honour to be there with you when Lyle got his horn bling the other day. Can't wait to hear about your next adventure(s).

It took a bit to get back on here because I managed to get the flu...rats. Anyway, I knew I would forget some important people ! You and Lisa were incredibly helpful, encouraging and supportive through my whole illness AND during this hunt. I know that’s just how you two roll with everyone in your life...you’re awesome peeps. I was SO happy that you took me down there for Lyle’s CI...a belated thank you !!

Gunner
10-31-2019, 08:55 PM
That’s a great story!

when I first opened the thread I skipped the story and went straight to the pics where I recognized Dorian from living with me in port Alice almost twenty years ago. Great guy, I’m glad everything worked out for you.

Well that one small world ! Was he nice back then ? He was always bugging me about my ‘mullet’...haha

Bustercluck
10-31-2019, 08:57 PM
Well that one small world ! Was he nice back then ? He was always bugging me about my ‘mullet’...haha
He still looks the exact same... so he probably hasn’t changed

Gunner
10-31-2019, 09:11 PM
He still looks the exact same... so he probably hasn’t changed

You’ll have to ask him about his rattle snake repellent. Oh, and before the hunt he wanted me to go to the hunting store and buy a sheep call. Super nice guy...LOL

one-shot-wonder
10-31-2019, 09:26 PM
Congrats on a hunt you will never forget.....all of you!

sledhead079
11-01-2019, 06:23 PM
You still haven't got a sheep call. It could have saved us a bunch of time.

Jagermeister
11-05-2019, 04:52 PM
Ourea provided these for your perusal

https://i.postimg.cc/5NLzSfrX/Resized-20190927-132025-8942.jpghttps://i.postimg.cc/dQzdCh5M/Resized-20190928-165931-9905.jpg

Ourea
11-05-2019, 05:17 PM
This gal is now back in the hospital hooked up to an IV.
She needs a god damn break!

I am sure I’m speaking for ALL of the hunting community when I say we ALL wish you well and that you get out of there soon!

Bugle M In
11-06-2019, 12:05 AM
Well, if she is reading this, I do hope she feels better real soon....

IronNoggin
11-07-2019, 10:49 AM
This gal is now back in the hospital hooked up to an IV.
She needs a god damn break!

I am sure I’m speaking for ALL of the hunting community when I say we ALL wish you well and that you get out of there soon!

I was away when this tale was posted, so just now seeing it.
Well Done All Round!
Great tale of persistence, and excellent pictures too!
Congrats!!

And I too would like to offer my most sincere hopes for the "break" this Gal needs & deserves!
I truly hope your health issues turn right around for you, and that you are soon on the path towards a full recovery!

Cheers,
Matt

Jagermeister
11-07-2019, 11:59 AM
Lady Gunner certainly has had her trials and tribulations of late. She remains hospitalized, a little anemic and trying to recover her strength. It may take a week or more.

Knute
11-07-2019, 12:06 PM
Wishing you the best Denise.

Gunner
11-07-2019, 01:00 PM
Wow folks, I cannot thank you all enough for the high fives on the hunt and the best wishes while I’m in the hoosegow. If good vibes could cure I’d be out of here already, you folk are amazing.
I didn’t see this coming at all, I was supposed to be back at work this week instead of in the hospital but life sometimes has other plans ? I’d love to be out soon, back and work and maybe able to get out a couple more days before the end of the season for a deer if the stars and planets align !!
I wish you all a great (what’s left of) hunting season, Denise

Gunner
11-12-2019, 12:33 PM
After a week in the hospital I am now free and I am so glad to be home !!

11-12-2019, 12:48 PM
Way to Go !
Your attitude is Contagious! Feel better soon. The Cancer Clinic workers are amazing......but its great to hear your home.
Theres still lots of good opportunity out there on Bucks. When your better.......be sure to share your Buck harvest too !
Straight shootin Girl!
CT

Jagermeister
11-12-2019, 01:22 PM
You better stay home and do some serious R&R. I spoke to the doc and she told me that deer hunting was out of the question. So there.