PDA

View Full Version : Ewe Sheep Hunt

last light
10-20-2019, 05:08 PM
I'm super excited to go on my first ever sheep hunt! Draw is for Kamloops Lake 3-29 Zone A. Ever since I found out that I received this draw, I've been pouring over information online, and also have watched a pile of videos pertaining to the Kamloops Lake sheep, but none of them are very specific to what zone they are from. A lot of the information and old threads that I've researched seem to be dated as well.

Looking at the map in the LEH synopsis leaves a lot to be desired. Does anyone know where I could find a decent map of the area. My main concern is that I want to know with 100% certainty to be hunting in an area where I will not be trespassing on private property. Secondly, I might want to find a place to camp nearby as well. Depends, I might just stay in a hotel for a couple days. The thing is that I've heard so many things from so many different people about this area that I'm not sure what to expect. Some people have told me that this could be a two hour hunt or a weekend hunt, basically telling me that it should be relatively "easy".

Having said all that, I would like to be as informed as I possibly can, by people that have first hand knowledge hunting this area, or perhaps from someone who has previously drawn this tag. This could be a once in a lifetime draw opportunity, and I would really like to capitalize on it, as well as have some nice mutton to eat.

Also, I can't help but notice how close some people seem to be getting while they are videoing and photographing these magnificent animals. Got me thinking that perhaps I could do this hunt with a crossbow. I think that I'll probably bring both, crossbow and rifle just to be safe. Once again, I just don't know what to expect hunting for these sheep. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any and all info!

boxhitch
10-20-2019, 06:06 PM
As easy as following the info in the leh package
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/fishing-hunting/hunting/limited-entry-hunting/leh-zone-maps/region-3-thompson

Add a visit to the area and your questions should be answered

Good luck out there :) Shoot a big one

Jordan f.
10-20-2019, 06:35 PM
Download iHunterBC, get the crownland, turn on sheep LEH zones, save map for "off-line use". Good to go!

last light
10-20-2019, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the link boxhitch! I hope to shoot a big one. Draw is for ewe or lamb, but I prefer to find a big solo ewe.

bighornbob
10-20-2019, 08:52 PM
Go to the mill in Savona and glass across the lake from there. You should see lots of sheep within a km of the western end. Went there one year looking for deer and all I saw was rams chasing and looking for ewes. Definitely a good chance of getting close with crossbow.

BHB

last light
10-20-2019, 11:00 PM
Jordan f., thanks for the recommendation on the iHunter BC app. I've never used this yet, but will definitely look into it.

bighornbob, thanks for the tip on where to start glassing from. Sounds like a great idea, find out general area and then try to put a stalk on. I'm super excited about the possibility of getting the sheep with my crossbow.

tyreguy
10-21-2019, 09:15 AM
I had the draw in 2014 and i shared the same excitement leading up to the hunt - i figured i would have some awesome sheep meat from this hunt.
I left Abbotsford and got to Savona at first light and i was home in Abbotsford at 1pm with my ewe.
As you are what you eat, living and eating in the sage brush provided me with an animal which smelled like Sage Brush and urine. I took the nice cuts out of it and had to marinade heavily to hide the flavor and the rest went to Chorizo sausage, the meat was not good. Even the local CO commented the Ewe's were stronger than the Rams in smell that year(?)
There is good road access into the whole area in Zone A, and my first step was to go and take a look around first before trying to glass it out.
The sheep were in the second location i wanted to see, there was 4 ewes with a beauty ram - it was hard to remember to concentrate on the ewes but they stood for me with no care in the world. a 200yd shot with the 7-08 and done at 7:32am. Remember they don't get hunted so they're not pushed - half the time they're even standing along the side of the highway.
Word of caution - make sure you can identify a Ewe from a Banana Ram as they can look very similar when the rams are a year or 2 old. i was on mine 4 times before i pulled on it.

Good luck and have fun.

100MileGord
10-21-2019, 02:08 PM
Something to consider: It is worth the time and effort to skin a ewe for a life sized mount. A few years ago, a properly permitted ewe was worth about $1500 from some taxidermists doing panoramic group mounts. Doesn't hurt to phone around to see what the market is.

tyreguy
10-21-2019, 02:15 PM
A taxidermist in Vernon was interested in my full body cape but it was about $350 he was offering.

It bought me a Henry 22 lever action.

warnniklz
10-21-2019, 04:34 PM
I'd at least get a shoulder mount done. Then when you get a ram (if you haven't already) have a mom/pop pair

twoSevenO
10-22-2019, 12:29 PM
I'd sell the cape. A ewe isnt much of a trophy to be proud of and if you can get yourself 300-400 bucks for it, that covers a lot of gas for other hunts

:)

Walking Buffalo
10-22-2019, 12:35 PM
My advice is to become familiar with the differences between a ewe and a yearling ram.

Looking for a "Big" dry ewe could become a sad mistake if one isn't positive that animal doesn't have balls.

j270wsm
10-22-2019, 10:43 PM
I'd sell the cape. A ewe isnt much of a trophy to be proud of and if you can get yourself 300-400 bucks for it, that covers a lot of gas for other hunts

why can’t someone be proud of a successful/legal hunt for a ewe????
comments like this are what is ruining this site, even if its a smart ass comment.

ncurrie
10-23-2019, 06:54 AM

Wow! I didn’t know you were the one who dictated what one considers a trophy! I expected a comment like this from some of the keyboard warriors on Facebook, but thought we were a little bit more mature here.

last light you have been given a some great advise on what is going to be a challenging hunt. I wish you success and growth as a hunter in this hunt. Hope you have some stories to share when you get back!

last light
10-24-2019, 08:36 PM
Thanks tyreguy for sharing details of your sheep hunt in the area. Too bad the meat quality wasn't as good as what you were expecting:(. I was really looking forward to some tasty meat, that's why I put in for this draw in the first place.

Thanks also to you and Walking Buffalo for the advice on making sure to properly id. the ewe. Believe you me, the last thing I want to do is shoot a banana ram by mistake. I will definitely take the time to ensure the correct sex is taken. Thanks for the tip/reminder.:)

100MileGord, thanks for the advice on keeping the hide to sell. I was actually thinking of keeping it and getting it tanned because of it's unique look.

warnniklz, this will be my first ever sheep hunt. I was thinkin' if I get one, I'd like to do a euro, and also get the hide tanned.

twoSevenO; Although it would be nice to make some gas money from the sale of the cape, that's not my intended purpose. The harvesting of game meat is my trophy. The horns and hide I would like to keep as memories from the hunt.

Thanks j270wsm for saying that people should be proud of any successful harvest. As long as it legal, I agree, be thankful for the opportunity.

Thank you ncurrie for your kind words and for wishing me to have success. I hope so too;)

twoSevenO
10-25-2019, 10:40 AM
Wow! I didn’t know you were the one who dictated what one considers a trophy! I expected a comment like this from some of the keyboard warriors on Facebook, but thought we were a little bit more mature here.

last light you have been given a some great advise on what is going to be a challenging hunt. I wish you success and growth as a hunter in this hunt. Hope you have some stories to share when you get back!

What, exactly, about my comment was immature? Most people do not mount animals unless it's something special. The only thing special about a ewe is that the tags are hard to draw.
And it's most likely NOT going to be a challenging hunt. I've actually never heard of anyone not filling out their kamloops sheep LEH draw.

Wow! I didn’t know you were the one who dictated what one considers a trophy

And i guess i didn't know you were the one who dictated which comments are immature and which ones are mature .....

Rieber
10-25-2019, 01:54 PM
Why bother hunting them if they don't taste good? Just my negative view on this.

I'm reading some of this as "Hunting for Cash". I guess it's all how you look at it.

wideopenthrottle
10-25-2019, 02:23 PM
first I have ever heard of a ewe tasting bad....is this an experience other sheep hunters have found ?...

warnniklz
10-25-2019, 04:21 PM
I'll eat it...

srupp
10-25-2019, 04:54 PM
Hmm you put in and won a tag.make use of it.go.as has been pointed out ensure its a ewe.
harvest it do whatever you want with the cape..oportunity to practice skinning in the field.chance to practice turning the ears..splitting the lips, nose..etc.take care of the meat. Try it yourself...not impressed. .turn it into spicy italian sausage.jerky..
Its a trophy when you put your eyes, legs, brain up against a worthy opponent. .and harvest one.
good luck..straight shooting..
Srupp

ncurrie
10-25-2019, 07:48 PM
What, exactly, about my comment was immature? Most people do not mount animals unless it's something special. The only thing special about a ewe is that the tags are hard to draw.
And it's most likely NOT going to be a challenging hunt. I've actually never heard of anyone not filling out their kamloops sheep LEH draw.

How do you know it’s not something special? Are you going on the hunt with him? How do you know it’s not going to b

And i guess i didn't know you were the one who dictated which comments are immature and which ones are mature .....

How do you know it’s not something special? Are you going on the hunt with him? How do you know it’s not going to be a challenge? In fact how many hunts don’t have some type of challenge?!

sorry you don’t like being called on your narcissistic comment.

ElectricDyck
10-25-2019, 09:19 PM
Meat care from kill to wrapping generally determines flavour in my experience. Sheep are beautiful if I had the economy I would have multiple ewes life sized in my house

tyreguy
10-25-2019, 11:15 PM
I was taught to take care of your harvest, respect your animal by killing it quickly and cleanly. This was not my first rodeo
This animal was standing, harvested with a single lung shot from a 7-08 @ 200yds with a 140gr accubond bullet - not shot up with a cannon causing bloodshot or meat loss.
Taken close to road, moved with a meat cart, cleaned immediately, transported for 3hrs (in November), skinned immediately once home and washed in and out sponged down with not a hair on it (other than required amount) and in the cooler at butcher all within 8hrs total.
Wasn't dragged through the dirt covered in crap like many are at the butcher.
Feed is big in determining meat flavour, from my experience. Kind of why cattle go into a feedlot for 3 weeks or so before going under the knife - flavour the meat with some grain to produce tender marbled meat.

The OP wanted to hear from previous draw holders - i did the exact same hunt and i had meat that was not what i was expecting - that was my experience. I've had dall sheep backstraps which was incredible and my ewe was not like that at all.
Watch out for the small rams and go get your animal.

Meat care from kill to wrapping generally determines flavour in my experience. Sheep are beautiful if I had the economy I would have multiple ewes life sized in my house