PDA

View Full Version : How would you react?

jan.wi97
10-18-2019, 09:51 AM
Hey Guys,
So I've been hitting the ground running all year long, looking for spring bear
and then scouting all summer.
I found two spots where I was able to observe deer going from
their bedding area to a small pond and even though I have been spending quite
sometime at spot "A" I wasn't able to connect with a legal buck.
So I switched up and have been in spot "B" now for a couple mornings (usually before work,
only a twenty minute drive for me).
I have seen a fair share of does etc but the bucks have been elusive.
My trail cam was stolen from that spot so I was a bit worried that maybe another individual
actively makes use of this spot and wants me out.

Yesterday I went out again (right around 4:30) and wanted to sit in the stand until
after dusk as my cousin spotted a Buck a couple days prior there.
As I am packing out my gun and backpack a Truck pulls up and the driver asked me if
I am sticking in the vicinity which I confirmed.
Spot "B" is only twenty minutes from the road up a ridge overlooking a little pond and as I am half way
up I hear a whole barrage of gunfire... pull out the bino and it is that guy parked a bit further up the road just blasting the
shit out of a tree.
I still went up to the stand and the guy also kept shooting, I stopped counting at thirty shots and packed up.
As he scared whatever might have been around into another zip code.

Took quite a bit of self restraint (and maybe self preservation) not to confront the guy.
But what would you do?
I was super excited to head there as it was my first legal buck I could get a crack at...
Is this standard behavior if someone is close to where you want to be?

The problem for me is that a far drive in is usually out of the question unless
it is a weekend and I spent a lot of time in those two spots trying to get a feel
for them and setting up properly... feel a little cheated at this point.
Just thought I would throw this out there.. would you abandon the area completely and look elsewhere or try again
even though some hillbilly is actively trying to prevent you from being there (imo).

mpotzold
10-18-2019, 10:04 AM
Hey Guys,
So I've been hitting the ground running all year long, looking for spring bear
and then scouting all summer.
I found two spots where I was able to observe deer going from
their bedding area to a small pond and even though I have been spending quite
sometime at spot "A" I wasn't able to connect with a legal buck.
So I switched up and have been in spot "B" now for a couple mornings (usually before work,
only a twenty minute drive for me).
I have seen a fair share of does etc but the bucks have been elusive.
My trail cam was stolen from that spot so I was a bit worried that maybe another hunter
actively makes use of this spot and wants me out.

Yesterday I went out again (right around 4:30) and wanted to sit in the stand until
after dusk as my cousin spotted a Buck a couple days prior there.
As I am packing out my gun and backpack a Truck pulls up and the driver asked me if
I am sticking in the vicinity which I confirmed.
Spot "B" is only twenty minutes from the road up a ridge overlooking a little pond and as I am half way
up I hear a whole barrage of gunfire... pull out the bino and it is that guy parked a bit further up the road just blasting the
shit out of a tree.
I still went up to the stand and the guy also kept shooting, I stopped counting at thirty shots and packed up.
As he scared whatever might have been around into another zip code.

Took quite a bit of self restraint (and maybe self preservation) not to confront the guy.
But what would you do?
I was super excited to head there as it was my first legal buck I could get a crack at...
Is this standard behavior if someone is close to where you want to be?

The problem for me is that a far drive in is usually out of the question unless
it is a weekend and I spent a lot of time in those two spots trying to get a feel
for them and setting up properly... feel a little cheated at this point.
Just thought I would throw this out there.. would you abandon the area completely and look elsewhere or try again
even though some hillbilly is actively trying to prevent you from being there (imo).

What we would do!:-P

CranePete
10-18-2019, 10:05 AM
I’d move on. There are plenty of other options. And I for damn sure wouldn’t go logging with my rifle, that’s just ignorant.

limit time
10-18-2019, 10:09 AM
Well...if he’s a hunter, he’s an ass. If it’s just a guy who doesn’t hunt and is going shooting...well....he is allowed. (Still an ass) Thirty shots or so ? Sounds like it’s not a “hunting” round he would be wasting . Maybe a SKS or .22 or something cheap on ammo?

jan.wi97
10-18-2019, 10:11 AM
https://i.imgur.com/RgEyoIcl.jpg
The walk of defeat gents...

It just really bugs me that I spent countless hours sitting there observing, taking notes, measuring distances etc etc.
No problem all summer long, then the cam walks off and now this.

Limit time: I was leaning towards a 12 gauge it was noisy as hell and who blasts at trees anyway???

boxhitch
10-18-2019, 10:31 AM
Deer have a home territory, a few gunshots will likely alert them but I doubt they left the country
30 shots could just be an asshat sighting a couple rifles at a poor time and location. Next time don't walk away from him, let him make the move away.

Ride Red
10-18-2019, 10:32 AM
Well if this is the same local that your tires were flattened I’d move on. I’d also refrain from using the word “Hunter” associated with your problems as we hunters have enough issues with the haters as it is.

jan.wi97
10-18-2019, 10:40 AM
Well if this is the same local that your tires were flattened I’d move on. I’d also refrain from using the word “Hunter” associated with your problems as we hunters have enough issues with the haters as it is.
Duly noted... that was somebody else... I had a good view of my truck...

jan.wi97
10-18-2019, 10:44 AM
Deer have a home territory, a few gunshots will likely alert them but I doubt they left the country
30 shots could just be an asshat sighting a couple rifles at a poor time and location. Next time don't walk away from him, let him make the move away.

I'll try again, I know where they bed and hope that this time someone
won't try logging with a shotgun!

Ride Red
10-18-2019, 10:52 AM
Duly noted... that was somebody else... I had a good view of my truck...

Just looked back, my bad.

trowt
10-18-2019, 11:20 AM
Sorry to hear. Get a plate next time and report to RAPP.
wildlife act states:
Obstructing licensed persons
80 A person commits an offence if the person interferes with or obstructs a person licensed or permitted to capture wildlife or to hunt, fish, guide or trap while that person is lawfully so engaged.

He could offer up the defense of target practice, but the rate of discharge and nature would be suspect as would the defense itself as he specifically asked if you were hinting the area in advance of the barrage.

Long shot,but at least it would be on record...

MichelD
10-18-2019, 01:03 PM
Why some guys choose to sight in their rifles, target shoot with their .22s and fire a few rounds just to make sure their shotgun works near other people in the middle of hunting season is beyond me. Don't normal people do that before the season?

There was one group up in the next forestry campsite from us in Region 6 one time when we were on a moose hunt a few years ago that were blasting with their rifles, .22s and shotguns right in the site. There was a small glade of trees between their site and ours. Anyway, the campsite caretaker from Burns Lake came around and must have noticed all the fresh empty cartridge cases and shells littering the ground and called the C.O.

He came over to check us out after dealing with them and said he'd ticketed them for shooting in a forestry site and caught one of their party driving with open alcohol in the truck too and ticketed them for that as well.

caddisguy
10-18-2019, 01:29 PM
This happened to me and caddisgirl once.

We had a plan for opening day, drove out to the spot we where we would be starting out hike in, slept in the car until an hour before first light. A couple minutes into our walk we hear half a dozen shots from a 12 gauge and our car alarm started going off. Not sure if it they fired close enough to the car it set it off or if they messed with it to set it off on purpose, but I was concerned enough to run back there and check.... figured I'd ask if they need a tissue or a diaper or anything but they already peeled out of there. There are definitely a lot of sour crybabies in the woods that identity as hunters yet still have serious tamper tantrums lol

As for some gun shots messing up your chances with deer, I think it can go either way. A couple weeks ago I woke up first light to some grouse running around my camp and fired off a few shots with the 12ga (and missed LOL) ... upset at myself for missing the grouse, figuring I'd spooked any deer with nothing to show for it, I bumped into a whitetail about 100-150 yards away.

Last weekend I also saw a buck and later a doe in areas that I had shot grouse within the last 10-15 minutes.

I think at worst, deer might hunker down and be on alert for a few, but they're not booking it up the mountain or to the next valley over.

boxhitch
10-18-2019, 01:31 PM
Long shot,but at least it would be on record...as easy as usimg the BCWF Conservation App
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeaIaybl59s

jan.wi97
10-18-2019, 01:52 PM
Thanks Caddisguy and Boxhitch!
Downloading the app and next time, I'll just hang around!

Some people must really be salty and I'd rather avoid dealing with them
or having an altercation so I simply left.
Might park somewhere else though and walk a kilometer longer instead.

Ajsawden
10-18-2019, 02:13 PM
I've never been viewing deer during a 30 shot barrage but I have been viewing deer during 1, 2 and 3 shot happenings. 9 times out of 10 the deer don't give a shit. It's just a noise in the environment that is FULL of man made noises. Vehicles driving, chainsaws, trees falling (which at times sound like gunshots), planes, helicopters. I think the issue with loud noises is they draw attention and now they see you, where before they may not have.
That's just the deer perspective. The guy going gun crazy immediatly after asking you if you were sticking around is another story. I'd love for them to get arrested for some asshattery or something but karma on seems to hurt the good guys. I'd probably avoid the area out of fear for my safety (on that same hand i'd report the guy) Is intimidation an offence?

buckhunter76
10-18-2019, 05:57 PM
I wouldn’t be concerned was hunting the lower mainland last weekend was watching deer in a cut block while people were blasting rounds 200 yards down the road,Some were bedded some feeding, shot the one buck, the crowd dispersed, dragged it out of the cutblock- took and hour- went back to get a backpack and a few were already back out feeding again, don’t let it rattle you, that guys an a hole though for asking then driving a little down the road.... you’ll get one out of their just be consistent

Wild one
10-18-2019, 06:24 PM
There is a reason I look for places that are good deer habitat and minimal amount of people

joshbazz
10-18-2019, 07:51 PM
Sorry you experienced that Jan, I’d try to record video on my phone if that happened to me then report the goof. Makes me not want to hunt near others, which is what I’m leaning towards.

338win mag
10-18-2019, 09:11 PM
There is a reason I look for places that are good deer habitat and minimal amount of people
This^^^^^^

jan.wi97
10-18-2019, 09:58 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys!
I went back this evening and hiked in about four kilometers... without any results
Came back to the truck, took a short detour and my first deer ever was
shot 50 yards from the truck!! I am over the moon!!

Redthies
10-18-2019, 11:07 PM
Awesome end to a crappy thread! Let’s see some pics!

monasheemountainman
10-18-2019, 11:14 PM
Good for you bud, good story you deserve it! Pics!!!!

joshbazz
10-18-2019, 11:35 PM
Congrats Jan!

Jagermeister
10-19-2019, 12:00 AM
I like boxhitch's summation. To a deer, noise is noise, the same goes for other ungulates.
I know of a few instances where guys have been cutting firewood and moose have walked in.
I know of an instance when a guy was snoring away in his car and a bull elk walked up and licked the window. He would have slept right through it if his little dog hadn't started barking and woke him up. Of course he made the move to grab his rifle and the elk, seeing the movement, hastily departed.
Seeing as how it's only 20 minutes away, keep going back. The other dude, if he is the one trying to move you along can't be there all the time, and if he is coming back means he hasn't scored yet so your buck is still at large.
I seem to be late on the trophy, but bear it in mind.

monasheemountainman
10-19-2019, 12:03 AM
I like boxhitch's summation. To a deer, noise is noise, the same goes for other ungulates.
I know of a few instances where guys have been cutting firewood and moose have walked in.
I know of an instance when a guy was snoring away in his car and a bull elk walked up and licked the window. He would have slept right through it if his little dog hadn't started barking and woke him up. Of course he made the move to grab his rifle and the elk, seeing the movement, hastily departed.
Seeing as how it's only 20 minutes away, keep going back. The other dude, if he is the one trying to move you along can't be there all the time, and if he is coming back means he hasn't scored yet so your buck is still at large.

I agree

i have been sitting watching deer and loud close gunshots ring out. They look up for a few seconds, then right back to feeding. If they don’t know something is close, there’s a good chance they ain’t going anywhere

Wild one
10-19-2019, 04:50 AM
Congrats on your first deer

butthead
10-19-2019, 07:58 AM
it just wasn't your day

whitespringer
10-19-2019, 08:34 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys!
I went back this evening and hiked in about four kilometers... without any results
Came back to the truck, took a short detour and my first deer ever was
shot 50 yards from the truck!! I am over the moon!!

Way to Go! You stuck with it, ignored the pin head and hammered your buck. Well done sir!

Knute
10-19-2019, 10:20 AM
Congrats on getting your first deer, great that it came together for you

jan.wi97
10-19-2019, 10:43 AM
Thanks guys!
I am still so overwhelmed by the entire experience...
Appreciate you all here!
Have a picture of my first gutting and skinning job :)

https://i.imgur.com/Czuippxl.jpg

jan.wi97
10-19-2019, 10:50 AM
Oh before I forget... a huge thank you to Chris Pryn, here is off to a good start and as
you said, they'll sing songs about us!
And Dave (Ourea), massive thank you to you as well, appreciate the phone call
and your advice about where to find the deer has been spot on!
Thanks again everyone!

SemperAurum
10-19-2019, 07:17 PM
Deer are not scared of gunshots

RyoTHC
10-19-2019, 07:36 PM
Deer are not scared of gunshots

can confirm ! Hell I’ve shot a white tail and the others all around it just continued to eat while their friend was in its death throes... yet i sniffle the wrong time sometimes and they are gone lol

jan.wi97
10-19-2019, 07:52 PM
Cheers guys.. I guess it gave me a good startle so
I assumed it would be the same for the four legged guys but apparently not :)

Redthies
10-19-2019, 08:56 PM
So what did you end up getting? WT? Mule? Buck? Doe?

jan.wi97
10-19-2019, 09:15 PM
So what did you end up getting? WT? Mule? Buck? Doe?
Sorry... was a WT Doe. That Buck my cousin saw didn’t show
and I’ve got two tags :)
Not the buck I was hoping for but a decent doe and
now im back to searching for that Buck...

Redthies
10-19-2019, 09:19 PM
That’ll be some good eating! I’m headed out on tues or weds looking for WT. I’m new to “big” game, being primarily a upland bird and waterfowl hunter, so I’ll be plenty happy with a nice doe. That said, I wouldn’t say no to a cranking big buck either. Good on you for getting it done!

jan.wi97
10-19-2019, 09:22 PM
That’ll be some good eating! I’m headed out on tues or weds looking for WT. I’m new to “big” game, being primarily a upland bird and waterfowl hunter, so I’ll be plenty happy with a nice doe. That said, I wouldn’t say no to a cranking big buck either. Good on you for getting it done!

First thing I did today was grill up
a bit of the neck loin and back-strap and that
was just something else... all the hard work and effort
culminating at that moment... it was almost spiritual :P

do you hunt in MU-8?