PDA

View Full Version : Mule deer hunting Barriere

Conch
10-16-2019, 08:56 AM
Looking for some constructive information on mule deer populations in the Barriere area. Haven't been up that way in years but planning a return in November. Please don't mistaken this for prying for honey holes or GPS coordinates as I have been avidly hunting for 20 years and I understand the "rules of the road" when it comes to asking other hunters for information. We will be coming up in 4 point season and we are leaning towards Skull and Goudreau. I see there's an ATV ban throughout the season and lots of the side roads are closed to motor vehicles which is great as we like putting the miles on the boots. Can a guy find a detailed map online of the roads open and closed for motorized vehicles? Any information is greatly appreciated.

GreyDog
10-16-2019, 04:10 PM
Last year I hunted there was 1983 so I don't think my information would be much good to you. I hunted mostly up Peterson Creek because I lived there. I'm reminded I should get back up there for a hunt sometime. GD

plumbcrazy
10-16-2019, 04:50 PM
We been up there for years. Dismal deer numbers. Pretty hard to find any buck with some age in it. Lots of wolves around for the last decade! Lots of country void of life, little pockets of deer

walks with deer
10-16-2019, 05:07 PM
roads are posted yes or no on skull...
if your in for a good hike giver...not alot of bucks in there any more.

westcoaster
10-16-2019, 05:44 PM
I would have thought the fire that went through there a few years ago would have been good for the deer population....

Kill-da-wabbit
10-16-2019, 06:32 PM
I would have thought the fire that went through there a few years ago would have been good for the deer population....
Good for hunting as the visibility increased dramatically, resulting in diminished numbers. The poplars are filling in the draws creating some good bedding areas, but the bigger bucks are still higher and north until it gets colder. There are lots of closed roads on Skull. Better check the regs if you one of the few that cares about such things.

northof49
10-16-2019, 06:39 PM
Wolves thinned it out real good compared to the past.....tough sledding from what I seen few years ago

walks with deer
10-16-2019, 06:41 PM
last year winter came late i was in there in febuary for a hike....would have shot preds if seen..for sure theres deer...but not what your dreaming of...if you go bring a good cart as if you shoot one its a pack out..

Big Lew
10-16-2019, 06:45 PM
Used to bow hunt that area and west. The fires, and even worse, the wolf problem
have greatly reduced the population. The last time I was in there hunting with my wife
we saw few deer but wolf dung on just about every side road. I was camped at Latremouille
Lake this early September and heard wolves howling both nights.

walks with deer
10-16-2019, 07:07 PM
lol saw your camp...we where there one whole day..did not see a deer.

i had my wife and two kids..brought home some cedar from the new slash at the begining. and the kids swam in the creek at the very bottom after our long hikes. i did not even bring my bow just binos and son packed his rifle.

walks with deer
10-16-2019, 07:08 PM
would like to talk to the hunter that left all the garbage at the end of the road however..pretty ignorant..

GreyDog
10-16-2019, 08:07 PM
I can tell you there weren't a lot of deer in the area in the 1970's either. Oh, there were deer but not great numbers. I suspect over-harvesting had more to do with it than any thing. I recall being shown pictures, from the fifties, of a pickup truck piled full with a half dozen deer and was told this was commonplace for a time but there just weren't the deer there used to be now (this was in the early 70's).
Cougars always were pretty hard on the populations. A cat would kill a deer a week or more until the numbers were down enough it had to move on. I don't know what the cougar populations are like now. There were always a few wolves but, for some reason, the old-timers hadn't thought to blame them for the reduced deer numbers like we do today.
For three years, in the early 80's, I covered every backroad from Fishtrap Creek up to Bonaparte Lake on the west side and east to Adams Lake, as well as the Barriere lakes, Johnson, Saskum, and Dunn. I drove about 250-300 miles a day, every day, May through September. I saw lots of bears, some cats, and coyotes but very few deer and moose. Saw one wolf and the occasional track. I always found it a bit strange that I could see so many predators and so little prey. Plainly, they were better hunters than I or they would have starved to death! GD

walks with deer
10-16-2019, 08:14 PM
lol have had many days where i have seen more cats than deer.
saw 7one night last june..imo should increase limit and season time espeacialy during fawning..

Big Lew
10-16-2019, 09:13 PM
I can personally attest to there being a lot of deer, lots being decent bucks,as well as quite
healthy populations of both cow and bull moose, many mature, in the area encompassing
Sulfurous Lake, Bonaparte Lake, Allan Lake, Smith Lake, and the whole area around Caverhill
Lakes. I took several bucks and bull moose between the middle 70's and up to around 2012.
I noticed a big change starting about 2000 with more hunters and a lot more wolves.

LuckyHorseshoe
10-16-2019, 09:15 PM
Was up there with the family oct 8. Saw a nice 3x3 at 400 yds. I would have chased him but he was across an ugly ravine, too ugly with a baby and toddler to entertain in the truck!!

blackbart
10-16-2019, 09:51 PM
There are a few good ones. I hope your second post on this site is a picture of the 240" double drop tine buck that we saw there yesterday but had to leave to get the toddler down for a nap.

Conch
10-16-2019, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. Obviously not the news I wanted to hear, may have to go back to the drawing board and try some spots in mind around Kamloops.

Anyone have any idea how much of the rolling hill country surrounding the road that heads up just east of Savona is private property?

markomoose
10-17-2019, 12:22 PM
Funny how Barriere & Little fort was full of deer late nineties & early 2000 then the wolves got real thick.*******s ate everything!

RyoTHC
10-17-2019, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. Obviously not the news I wanted to hear, may have to go back to the drawing board and try some spots in mind around Kamloops.

Anyone have any idea how much of the rolling hill country surrounding the road that heads up just east of Savona is private property?

not sure what you expected tbh, hunting around and between the 3 of the if not the largest cities in bc (van kam and kelowna) will continue to decline as the populations increase.. I see hundreds of trucks every weekend gassing up their quads and trucks going to hunt the areas you’ve mentioned and asked about, the number one reason I see for new members not having success is lack of creativity, trying to hunt the same spots the hundreds of other lower mainlanders pound because they don’t want to drive more than a couple hours from home.

every single KM you go north of Kamloops or Kelowna not only has the potential to hold more game, I’m confident it does.

by no means let me discourage you from hunting locally if it’s close to home for you and easy, but if you’re already loading up everything and driving a couple hours you might as well go a couple more and get into areas that hold more game than hunters. The way it seems is that south of Kamloops, south of Vernon, grand forks, cranbrook etc get pounded by all the transient hunters and the locals, so the animals end up in pockets affording more of an opportunity to those who live locally and can figure out specific herd behaviours. So there’s still animals and success to be had but you really need boots on the ground and actual experience in the area to find them, odds of picking a road driving and being successful go way way down if you’re close to any of the aforementioned cities.

food for thought.

Conch
10-17-2019, 08:49 PM
not sure what you expected tbh, hunting around and between the 3 of the if not the largest cities in bc (van kam and kelowna) will continue to decline as the populations increase.. I see hundreds of trucks every weekend gassing up their quads and trucks going to hunt the areas you’ve mentioned and asked about, the number one reason I see for new members not having success is lack of creativity, trying to hunt the same spots the hundreds of other lower mainlanders pound because they don’t want to drive more than a couple hours from home.

every single KM you go north of Kamloops or Kelowna not only has the potential to hold more game, I’m confident it does.

by no means let me discourage you from hunting locally if it’s close to home for you and easy, but if you’re already loading up everything and driving a couple hours you might as well go a couple more and get into areas that hold more game than hunters. The way it seems is that south of Kamloops, south of Vernon, grand forks, cranbrook etc get pounded by all the transient hunters and the locals, so the animals end up in pockets affording more of an opportunity to those who live locally and can figure out specific herd behaviours. So there’s still animals and success to be had but you really need boots on the ground and actual experience in the area to find them, odds of picking a road driving and being successful go way way down if you’re close to any of the aforementioned cities.

food for thought.

RyoTHC sent a PM

g2mike
10-17-2019, 08:58 PM
Hunted barrier twice last year. Mid November and end of November. Saw an absolute shit ton of does, like 30 a day, but only one 2 point buck. Also saw a ton of hunters. On the vehicles open roads, every spot you could pull over had a truck parked in it. Definitely like the open/closed road management tho!

Conch
10-18-2019, 06:53 AM
Hunted barrier twice last year. Mid November and end of November. Saw an absolute shit ton of does, like 30 a day, but only one 2 point buck. Also saw a ton of hunters. On the vehicles open roads, every spot you could pull over had a truck parked in it. Definitely like the open/closed road management tho!

Were you hiking or road hunting mostly?

g2mike
10-18-2019, 09:03 AM
First time in the area so map - drive to spot - hike. Not road hunting but did some driving to find spots to hike into. Definitely some room to hike tho. There are marked horse trails well. Lots of good glassing opportunity too

waserwolf
10-18-2019, 04:06 PM
Hunted Skull Sept last year.

Very cool area. I love the restricted vehicle access, wish there was waaaay more of that.

We seen approximately 4 Mule Deer Does and 1 Pair Cow/Calf Moose over 2 days.

As you I was dreaming of a Hike In spot crawling with Deer. :)

the bear
10-31-2019, 12:13 PM
As usual lets blame the wolves, road access, region 5 and 8 flocking here in the thousands because of the generous GOS. are a much bigger factor than predators will ever be. Sometimes we have to look in the mirror to see the problem. And yes I am ready for the venom

100MileGord
11-05-2019, 02:40 PM
I've hunted in 3-39 for about 25 years. It is open for mule deer until Dec 10 for a reason. While there are a few resident giant bucks in the lowlands year round, the numbers only appear when winter pushes them out of the high country of Wells Gray.

I don't even bother the area until after a few good frosts as the insects (no-see-ums?) can be nasty.
Also, watch your back if you are using deer calling techniques; I've called in several cougars over the years and they can get REALLY close before you see them.