PDA

View Full Version : Last Hunt

Bugle M In
10-14-2019, 11:16 AM
So, just recently came back from our last hunt to the Koots.
Was considering the Peace but my father at the age of 80, still wanted to go, so off to the familiar place we went.
First day started off with 3 WT bucks, the biggest a 3pt and the others were 2pt's.
Not large but good meat bucks if wanted.
Being the 1st day, I had no interest in them and we watched them for a good 1/2 hr.
My hunting partner, who to this point has taken many ducks and geese, has never taken a big game creature.
(he has had a few chances, but never connected)
I know he was sitting there pondering whether to take the shot, but he knew from past experience, that our main focus
was for elk, so we watched them go back into the timber.
I did honestly feel we would see them again as we would be in this area a lot.
But we never did see them again.
So NOTE, if you want a meat buck, and it's early on, take the shot.
Time and time again, and speaking with many others and their experiences, we have all thought we would see whatever
again later in the week, but then never do!
That being said, it didn't weigh on my mind, but I do think it did on my partner's.
https://i.imgur.com/a8iObHB.jpg

Bugle M In
10-14-2019, 11:40 AM
The next day had us doing some exploring, mainly looking for elk sign.
To be honest, we found some sign that wasn't old, but no where near what we used to find.
Repeated efforts to find new sign all week fell short, and no new sign was ever found other than what we had already found early in the week.
So, not much movement and seemily little activity, imo.
But, that doesn't always tell the whole story, as a bull with cows can hole up, and move very little, thus leave virtually 0 sign.
Anyways, we then took the time to explore deep into the high country, into older cut blocks and a multitude of scree slopes, once known
for holding a decent amount of elk.
The snow we had hoped for that hit Calgary, never really transpired by us, so any hopes of the elk being pushed out and down towards are
usual areas did not happen.
Late in the evening, I did spot a bull elk, a definite 5pt, but a small 5pt, and could not tell if he might be a little rag horn 6?
He had 2 cows with him, and the hunt was on to see if he was legal, but had my doubts, and it was getting late.
In the end, this was a new area, and we didn't know how the old roads worked in the cut block they were in.
Had we know, we would have taken 1 zig zag more up the road, and probably have walked smack dab into them, although the wind might
have been an issue, in the end, we ended up below them by 200 yards at the most, with the wind in much better favor, but there was no interest from the bull to come in.
By last light, the cows went ballistic with them chirping at me, but again, all we stared at were the trees in front of us.
We did try again the next morning, they had moved a cut block over, and again, we did not know the road structure.
This time however, the wind started off favorable, sent my buddy up high into the cut block, while I headed along the road below them, and
to get past them to the other end of road in the cut block, all the time just cow calling.
And then when I reached the other side, start bugling.
If anything, I might push the bull into taking his couple of cows, and start moving away from me, and potentially right into my partner.
Unfortunately, I really felt it was going to work, seeing how the bull had reacted the night before.
But, at one point, the wind shifted on my partner, and must have definitely blown right towards the elk.
In the end, they must have bailed straight up the block.
They didn't go towards my partner obviously and they didn't come my way.
After all, why would he push his cows towards me, a potential other bull.
We eventually gave up the hunt on this bull, as we felt we were most likely only in pursuit of a 5pt, and no longer wanted to waste the effort
on him, and the fact that the GO would soon be in this area with his clients.
I have to say, the amount of back country exploring we did in there, just showed us how dismal it is in there for elk.
Lots of feed, but just dead.
These elk had been there for some time, as those couple of cut blocks had tracks all over.
But many, thru miles and miles of travel, showed 0 sign.

On the way out, I decided to glass upwards, and there above us, maybe 800 yards or so was a Billie.
And off to his left and above were a group of nannies and a few kids.
(you will see the billie center screen, but it was a long distance for a picture, and the nannies etc are in the photo, but have to look hard).
I have enough Goats, and no longer apply for the LEH in this area, but they do have Goats, as most hunters wont make the long journey in
before they even have to begin the hike up.

https://i.imgur.com/beQIaRL.jpg

Bugle M In
10-14-2019, 11:54 AM
So, after that, we decided to try our usual places that have always played out well for many years along the river, but as many know, it has been
far from stellar for quite a few years now.
I do have some conclusions and thoughts as to "why" it isn't so good in there anymore, but will get to it later.
So, we spent some time, sitting up high above the river, glassing and calling, seeing what movement there was, which ended up being NIL.
Again, the cut blocks we were in were also void of elk sign.
https://i.imgur.com/WRv4R1f.jpg
So, we decided to move down onto the river and sit there and call.
As well pull up to an area we walk in, I look to my right.
I then say to my friend, "you have a bear tag right"?
He goes "yes".
And I say, "well, what about this one standing right there looking at us from 50 yards away"?
He looks, then looks at me, thinking I am going to again say "it's too early in the week"...lol.
But, I am not saying anything and he asks, well, what should I do?
My dad quickly replies, "you have a tag, take him".
Sadly, while scrambling for my camera, the shot rings off.
A clean shot, and bear is down and finished almost instantly, which is always nice to work out like that.
Now, the pic of the bear might look big to some, but I can assure you I took the pic to make the bear look bigger then it seems.
In the end, an average size and age for black bear in the area, as we soon realized, has just gone thru an explosion in population in the area.
I have never, ever seen so many Black Bear in a weeks hunt, as I did this past trip.
More on that later, but for now, here is the Chocolate Colour phased black bear.
I have to be honest, I wish we had left this on alone, due to it's coloring, and taken one of the many of the traditional black ones, we ended
up coming across.
https://i.imgur.com/5ROaz9j.jpg

Bugle M In
10-14-2019, 12:13 PM
Now, since this bear was laying right in our path to the river where I and now my father so often sit, we decided to take the bear, put it into the
truck, and drive several kms, towards our campsite and then another 1/2 km beyond and a 1/2 km up into an older cut block and a landing
to process the bear, as we didn't want issues as it was still early in the week.
We knew, from talking to another hunter, that we would most likely come in contact with a Grizz in the area where we were camped and
hunting...well.....
We were so focused on picking a spot as we turned the corner into the landing, finding the perfect spot to unload and gut the bear, that we
had missed what was present in our immediate surroundings.
Stop the truck, pull out the bear, I go to the side door to grab a knife, and right across the road from me, from a ditch like depression,
comes a crashing sound.
Only feet from us, was the Grizz we were told about.
A young one, in a blonde color phase.
Of all the sq km's to drive around in to process the black bear, we decide to park right beside a grizz...lol.
Interesting note, we do have a grizz in the area we call Bart, as he is the size of a bull moose!
And GO is aware of him, and I think had left this bear to get big and was ready to find a client for, but he waited too long, as the government
in it's infinite wisdom, shut down the gbearr hunt, and the GO is now left with a worthless tag.
Remember when I said, "don't wait to take something when it crosses your path"!
Well, I guess the GO waited too long!
Anyways, no shortage of GBear in the Area!
https://i.imgur.com/OK2wVYI.jpg

Bugle M In
10-14-2019, 12:15 PM
^^^^This is definitely not Bart!
But great color!

Bugle M In
10-14-2019, 12:20 PM
So, the next morning, nothing much transpired, traveled into some other areas that had been productive in the past, but again, no sign,
no action, just a lot of staring at trees and watching the birds.
So, then we decided to take the bear in for processing at the Butcher.
And on the way out, we passed this small guy standing there, and on the way back in from town, we had a different one elsewhere cross our
path on the road.
Honestly, all 3 of us could have taken our annual bag limit of 2 black bear province wide in a matter of a couple of days.
We would have spent more time going into town to buy tags then actually put time in to hunt them, and with success!
Another small young one.
https://i.imgur.com/lJCDzTR.jpg

Bugle M In
10-14-2019, 12:28 PM
Now, I know in the past I posted a hunt or 2 from the same area and my elk hunting experiences.
Many reply with similar experiences, but as always, especially on HBC and what happens I suppose on any open forum on the net,
there is always some criticism by some, that I have no idea or I am doing it wrong or don't hunt hard enough....lol.
Anyways, one point was, "I don't go REMOTE enough, away from other hunters".
Well BS!
We hit a lot of new spots, areas were many never travel into.
Areas with both Cut blocks of an appropriate age and right feed as well as many of the "traditional scree slopes" one used to find elk in
a lot of the time.
Have to say, our venture into these areas, both glassing, walking the areas and even seeking elk sign were totally dismal.
But, se for yourself, there is some great country in there that many never see, and thus the elk should be happy hiding in.
https://i.imgur.com/8Km0LZk.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/F1EfpQG.jpg

Bugle M In
10-14-2019, 12:29 PM
^^^^^Again, these are only a few pics of quite a few areas that I either do have pics or was too busy hunting/searching to take the time for photos or have video instead.

Bugle M In
10-14-2019, 12:38 PM
So, in the end, my elk hunt was for the most part dismal, yet again, but not without an interesting hour or so!
I will get to it later!
BUT, in speaking with the Butcher, on the last day of September, he had more elk in, with still 20 days to go, then all of last season.
Which is great to hear.
And I know speaking to a few members here, that a some were starting to see more elk again on their cams.
And also speaking with a hunter I have gotten to know of late, who had been around hunting since the beginning of mid archery season,
that he said he had seen more elk than the past 5 seasons combined.
BUT, admitted also it is still far shy of what it once was in the past or could be like.
Only 1 bull was taken in the part of the trench we hunt that we were aware of, but this hunter had several friends in his camp, who spent
countless hours on the roads and in many areas around, so they got to know who was where and who was doing what.
Certainly far from busy by the time we were up there, and we only ran into this one hunter all week where we were concentrating much of
our time and effort.
Again, up till that point, the GO had a big fat 0 in the elk category.
Anyways, that was the good and the bad, but I think I have clue as to what has happened now.

Bugle M In
10-14-2019, 12:40 PM
Now, did I mention, we saw a lot of Black Bears???
I think so, anyways, here is another one, just in case you didn't have your fill.
Never did see the one that was in the 6 to 6 1/2 ft category, but his sign was all around.
There are some dandy black bears around now, that's for sure.
I decided to get closer and rifle was going to get in the way.
https://i.imgur.com/hX55dBh.jpg
From my angle,
https://i.imgur.com/EKO7Hud.jpg

Huntingtyler123
10-14-2019, 12:47 PM
Awesome thanks for sharing !

Bugle M In
10-14-2019, 01:14 PM
So, what do I think is happening to this area and many like it?
Talking with this other hunter, and hearing from a few other hunters on hbc and folks like the butcher and GO as to whom is having success
and who is not, left me with some ideas.
Back when my dad started hunting this area, there were only a few roads in the area, or for that matter in the Trench, comparatively
speaking, as compared to today.
And we all know, that all these new roads only exist due to logging.
Back when there was very little of it in the area, there was a Traditional way the elk used the area.
Obviously come winter, they have to head low due to snow fall, but this same snow fall always created new slides in scree slopes and thus new feed.
So, the elk would move up and down on their yearly cycle, hitting the scree slopes for feed during the summer, where the nutrition was much
higher as compared to staying down low.
Back then, there were wolves, but few and far between in sightings or even sign.
(the wolf sign started showing up more regularly by the early 90's for sure, and has never stopped since, however I thought last season,
that finally the wolves had left the area, but nope, plenty of it this year, and there is one big boy in the group who's track is a good 50%
bigger then the rest!, But that isn't the "whole problem" by no means, imo).
Back then the roads that did exist, weren't restricted with plenty more hunters back then as well.
Gbear were hunted and rare to ever see, and I cant say how much a factor they are, to be honest.

But, there has been one really big "change" and maybe the biggest factor that has changed possibly the "elk's habits"??
Logging.
Hearing where some folks are having success, it sound s like much of the elk are no longer taken up high, in remote areas.
Reason being, not just because there is a lack of elk #'s compared to past history, but the elk just haven't needed to travel very far from
their winter grounds to find feed.
Sure, preds like wolves, gbear and the not overly talked about cougars, have shot up in #'s, and most certainly has affected the elk and
how and where they move, it isn't the only reason.
These elk no longer have to travel to their traditional scree slopes.
Sure, in area with higher populations, further down south, I am sure they do populate some of those traditional areas.
But, the more talk to hunters in the northern parts of the trench, the less they see elk in those Traditioanl places.
Basically, stay low.
I also agree, with low elk #'s, elk no longer get "crowded out" and have to expand their territory to find space.
With these low numbers, they can stay within short distances of their winter range now, and I am sure there is also the benefit of avoiding
preds by staying lower and closer to humans.
Now, I do believe if the elk #'s could reach a level they once were, then some of these areas would see an influx of elk again.
But if they stay low, some of these areas I suspect will never again be great elk country, at least not from the elk "hunting" perspective.
So, yes, there are elk around, just not where they once roamed.
Due to changes we have made, they now occupy areas "closer to home" should we say, imo.
And that's an issue for ranchers and icbc, and those powers that don't want the elk on their land.
(remind me, who's land????)
I guess time will tell if we allow the ministry and those factions to dictate the amount of elk we will have in the future.
Or, will we finally dictate to them "how it's going to be"????

Anyways, I do have a few new cut blocks that I see some potential in for next season, if next season doesn't take me to the Peace instead.
Who knows?, but I wont waste as much time looking deep and high or as remote!
I am going low next season, right behind some folks back yard!

https://i.imgur.com/x29gsUb.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5SYPMBI.jpg

Bugle M In
10-14-2019, 01:17 PM
But, all is not lost.
Time spent with my Dad is always a big bonus.
Hanging with my friend as well and sharing some laughs along the way, is what it's really all about.
And hey, the scenery and beauty cant be beat.
And it is always nice to get back up there to see it once again.
A needed reprieve from day to day life in the LM.
BMI out.
https://i.imgur.com/h429UyE.jpg

monasheemountainman
10-14-2019, 01:30 PM
beautiful pics, congrats to buddy on the bear

Bugle M In
10-14-2019, 01:55 PM
Oooops, I forgot to mention my "interesting hour"! that I said I would.
Again, as has been typical of our past several hunts to the area, the action happens on the last day, the last night.
Sitting in an area, that I felt had a ton of potential years ago, but didn't pan out as expected.
An area where we did take one bull, an area where I also passed on a 100 yards broadside on the last evening of the same week as when we
did take a bull (felt 1 was enough and didn't want to spend the day packing out and rather drive home).
The same area where we have had chances and screwed up, so potentially 4 other bulls could have been taken.
This area is now getting "Grown up" and soon will be useless for the most part to hunt.

About an hour before dark, while calling, I get a quick cow elk reply, just once.
Shortly later, I here timber breaking some 200 yards in front and too my right.
Then suddenly branches break in front of me to my left, real close.
Turns out it's a WT doe and a WT spike buck.
I was expecting a shot to ring out from my hunting partner as it is the last night.
He didn't have a shot, and I had just heard that cow elk, so I was happy when that buck at 25 yards from me left.

Minutes later, again 200 yards out but directly in front of me, thru some timber, in which we have creek that elk use as a wallow, and then
more timber on the other side, and just in front of a ridge that had a fire, which I can look into, I hear some running sounds???
Then I hear the "crying" type sound??
I don't know what to make of it????
Not a bear or cubs or wolves or anything of that sort.
I then once recall I a time where I watched 2 Fisher's go at it.
Chasing and fighting each other in a tree.
Sounded like that is what it could be, but they are moving all over the place in there???
Then, I hear the sounds of what is definelty a cow elk going berserk....mewing a lot.
Then, this other sound I have never heard in person, only heard of from rading.
It sounds like a bull elk is in there, but it's not bugling, not at all.
But it has this hollow sound continuously.
Reminded me in a way when I had a MD doe run right by me once with a young MD buck in chase.
We all know they can grunt, but he had this ever so quite little grunt with every step he made in hot pursuit.

I quickly get up, move over to my partner to tell him "hey, we got a cow over there, and I think there is a bull in there as well".
He heard to cow, he could hear the commotion going on in there, but could not figure out what the hell is going on suddenly.
Still the commotion continues on, still 200 yards or so away, in the timber, past the creek, and moving from originally our left to now our right.
Probably only 50 yards or so to go to the left till they hit the open!
But, light is failing, soon to be dark.
Sadly there was a temporary shift in wind, somewhat towards them.
Cant say if it actually got to them or not.
But then, the cow start calling like crazy, just would not stop!
But, with each call, and me replying, her sounds didn't move further to our left as we were hoping for, but rather straight back and away from us.
I thought I was going to have a chance to see what and who was making all that noise and that odd sound.
That odd sound I just could not place, but it seemed familiar to me.
I had heard it before, but what was it?????
All went dark and nothing to be seen.
So, we did do something we don't normally do when heading home the next morning, and went out real early the day morning to see if
we could some more action, but nothing!

What was the sound????
GLUNKING!
After all these years, I finally heard that for the 1st time!
And, yes, from what I have researched, it's something a bull uses to push/herd his cows!
I suspect we had a cow in heat, and a very smart bull that was trying to stay quiet!
And by no means was he going to let that cow come our way, and due to it being so late, we had no time to go in after them.

So , glunking…..
I thought I would post a video of the sound I found on the net.
Sorry, video camera was away as our rifles where in hand!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQpc-jSUEq0

srupp
10-14-2019, 02:33 PM
Very enjoyable read..and beautiful photos..was even better the second read while sipping coffee. .almost felt like I was there.the beautiful chocolate bear was what I was looking for ..complete last week..just black phase. ..
very well done..thank you for taking the time to share with us the beauty you found and the success

Much appreciated
Cheers
Srupp

RICKADY
10-14-2019, 02:44 PM
Great story writing, Beautiful pic's, some success, and Family.
Happy Thanksgiving all,

moosinaround
10-14-2019, 03:08 PM
Yup, well written story. Pictures were excellent. Crazy what a fellow hears when he takes in the silence of nature! I gotta get down into that Koots country!! Thanks again for sharing! Moosinaround

Pioneerman
10-14-2019, 03:16 PM
Well done with the story, thanks for sharing ,and the pictures too.

scoutlt1
10-14-2019, 03:53 PM
Thanks for sharing your story and the awesome pics!

Hunting with family and friends is the best.....

DannyO
10-14-2019, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the read! Good Inspiration for me to get back out there and get after it

albravo2
10-14-2019, 04:13 PM
Good write up Bugle, thanks!

Wild one
10-14-2019, 04:25 PM
Sounds like you have a lot of history in that area and that makes it tougher when things decline.

good luck on your future hunts

Moose63
10-14-2019, 04:46 PM
This is what HBC is all about....Thanks!

Xbow
10-14-2019, 05:21 PM
Great job.... Thanks

Rattler
10-14-2019, 05:45 PM
Beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing.

ElectricDyck
10-14-2019, 08:05 PM
Sure is nice country! Looks like a great place for a spring bear hunt!

HarryToolips
10-14-2019, 09:46 PM
Great pics thanks for sharing, nice bear congrats to the team...

Ride Red
10-15-2019, 05:55 AM
Great story and pics. A hunt with family is priceless and a harvested animal is icing on the cake. Good on your father to still want to be a part of it.

Arctic Lake
10-15-2019, 08:01 AM
Those pictures are great ! Nice looking bear that got harvested . goos stories !
Arctic Lake

scttlp86
10-15-2019, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the great story. Already have a new plan for next year, that's awesome

J_T
10-15-2019, 11:27 AM
Great photos Bugle. That is a nice area to hunt. The steepness of the terrain does make you work for it. I hear your frustration. I don't think in the East Kootenay, we've ever had a solid handle on population numbers. In the 90's, population numbers were picked (at random) and we've been managing on trends of adult male harvest ever since. We do have a more recent study done which cited 14,500 elk in the trench. This study was more detailed.

I agree with you, with low numbers in the back country, elk calves are really at risk due to predators. That's where the population is impacted. Calf mortality.

Whatever the number of elk there is, when Gov now says, the have 5,000, and they want 8500, that number of elk is going to leave a lot of good habitat void of elk. Elk are a path of least resistance animal. If there is plenty of food and water in the front country, and it's probably got less predators (generally) and close to ranchers fields (if they can get in), elk will remain in the front country. Many won't establish the habit of migrating into the back country. And with human intervention, highways, railways, settlement, we interrupt their movement. We have to work toward higher numbers in the front country so that some of them will move to the back country. JMHO.

For me, 8500 elk as a target population really says, Government is listening to the ranching community. The high fencers. I want 30,000 elk in the R4. Relative to the land and it's ability to support that many, I don't think it's unreasonable.

Thanks for the story and details.

Bugle M In
10-15-2019, 02:03 PM
Great thoughts J-T.^^^^^
I hope if anything, people (hunters of BC and elk nuts) take the time to read and digest your post!
I know my stories and posts can get long winded, but if everyone can just read your post, it is the first step in everyone understanding the situation as it is right now, and worse, what is in store for us hunting elk, if the government heads on the plans they have set, unless we do
everything to start pushing back.

As for my thoughts on the area I hunt and it's issues, it is speculation on my part for sure, but it is a place I have learned to become very
familiar with over many years, and also the included time my father had before I joined him.
It also includes the general consensus of the hunters I run into in the area, that have also spent many hours with boots on the ground.
Please understand everyone that each area is different and has it's own nuisances, but I don't think I am too far off (like J-T states) on where
the elk are hanging, those that still exist.

Here's to the future of EK elk hunting in BC for future generations, and I hope a post like mine helps get people "more involved".
And thanks for the kind words folks, much appreciated.
And a thanks to my dad, because without him, I wouldn't be posting this stuff to begin with.

Angus
10-15-2019, 05:17 PM
Great recount of your trip BMI, and thanks for the photos.

Your thoughts and opinions on the current locations of the elk, and reasons why, are similar to those I experienced while on an elk LEH in 1-10 a few years ago. The elk seemed to be hanging around closer to civilization than I would have expected, or thought. But the deeper we pushed into the valley, all sign of elk disappeared. Actually, all sign of everything disappeared, except for wolves. For the week we were in there, we cut across only one set of mule deer tracks in the snow, and that was it. It was actually quite unreal how much wolf sign was present.

bc7mm
10-15-2019, 06:14 PM
Great read, thanks for the story and the pics

j270wsm
10-15-2019, 09:15 PM
Awesome pics and write up.
Too many people let black bears walk because they have a “ they mostly eat grass “ mentality. All ungulates in the area would benefit if you guys would have taken 2-5 more bears. The black bear population, where I hunt in the elk valley is down compared to 10yrs ago but that’s because we have way too many grizzlies. I also need to start shooting bears again.....maybe next spring I’ll take a couple.

Bugle M In
10-16-2019, 09:54 AM
Awesome pics and write up.
Too many people let black bears walk because they have a “ they mostly eat grass “ mentality. All ungulates in the area would benefit if you guys would have taken 2-5 more bears. The black bear population, where I hunt in the elk valley is down compared to 10yrs ago but that’s because we have way too many grizzlies. I also need to start shooting bears again.....maybe next spring I’ll take a couple.
I would recommend anybody wanting to hunt Black Bear, to definitely think about next spring.
Speaking to the butcher in Invermere, bears are all over the place right now he says, and I also agree on another point of his, this will lead
to sickly bears if say the berry crop is terrible next summer!
Then it is going to get interesting during the fall for those bears and human interactions for sure.