PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Fall Ladner

silveragent
10-13-2019, 11:17 AM
Got skunked first morning at Brunswick Pt. but other hunters got success.

Snow geese are here but in small numbers so far. They are high flying right now.

Ducks were flying but the tide was way out so my opportunities were pretty random as I couldn't put my dekes anywhere on water. I got some shots off but more or less random fly pasts, no decoying.

I talked to a couple who had a canoe who got six. Another friend also was on a canoe in the area and got to chase dabblers out into the water and he got close to a limit.

Other hunters around me were able to pick off random ones. But too many skybusting too.

Also a CO and TFN officers working together were checking licenses and guns at the end of the morning. So be sure you have all of the documentation and that your guns are in order.

silveragent
12-03-2019, 09:25 AM
Lots of widgeon, got my first GW Teal this weekend - those guys are fast. Occasional mallards flying but they seem pretty wary. I was able to bring in widgeon, Bufflehead using just floating dekes. SO COLD but I've been trippling up my layers so I am reasonably comfy even with my ass in the water. Ponds freezing up around my legs even.

silveragent
12-05-2019, 04:03 AM
At Brunswick got a mallard and three GW teal today over decoys that were moving well in the water. Great blustery morning but tainted in that I lost two to the tide and wind including another fat mallard. One that I retrieved I only managed to reel in with a monopod I was carrying at full extension. They landed in my spread but by the time I could get out there the wind had carried them beyond safe wading.

I was so mad at myself I decided to pack it in but I noticed the only other hunter in my corner hadn't had any luck so I waved him over and gave him a chance in my spot since the birds were decoying pretty good. He was new to it and was happy to see how dekes drew in the singles and doubles. He wasn't able to seal the deal on three that fluttered in but he was appreciative and helped me break down my setup. I ended up giving him one of the teal as consolation prize.

Sadly also I saw that a cormorant had been shot in that area and left to float around.

Lots of teal and widgeon coming in waves from the bay but only the singles and doubles seem to want to land but with enough frequency was a fun day. I aim to be even more conservative with my shooting so they don't fall too far to the edges without a hope of bringing them back.

mastercaster
12-05-2019, 06:12 AM
Sounds like you need a good bird dog! Makes all the difference in the world. A friend of mine just informed me that I guy he works with just had a litter of German Wire-haired pointers hit the ground a couple of days ago,,,,strong hunting lineage.

Ron.C
12-05-2019, 07:25 AM
It sucks to lose birds. If birds can drop or drift out to deep for you to retreive, should probably re-think hunting that spot until you have a way to retreive all your birds or chase down cripples. And it sounds like you have.

Before I got my dog, I dragged a canoe into some pretty crappy areas so I can retrieive. Even something like on of those cheap kayaks at canadian tire or bass pro will work. Cheap, compact, lightweight

ACB
12-05-2019, 12:20 PM
Waterfowl hunting without a good retriever is like having a car without a trunk, but until it is feasible for you to hunt with a dog what Ron.C says, a cheap kayak/canoe would work wonders to your retrieval rate.

silveragent
12-05-2019, 02:17 PM
thanks everyone. I like that spot but plan to bring in the dekes closer in so I'm not tempted on longer shots. I wish I could have a dog right now but need to change lifestyle to accommodate it. It's a longterm goal.

The cheap kayak idea I've been mulling over as I already pull in a sled, so if I replaced the sled with a kayak to bring in the same stuff that might work.

Another friend suggested the fishing tubes with flippers but I'm thinking the current and wind there would overpower it. Not a fan of being pulled out there just for a duck.

Ron.C
12-05-2019, 03:14 PM
Those 10' Ascend Sit in Kayaks would make a pretty sweet layout too. A bit of grass matting to break up the shape, and they would be perfect to follow the tide as it rises or falls. They weigh about 60lbs, and are on sale at bass pro and cabelas right now. Be the perfect rig for sheltered tidal flats. Drop a couple dozen dekes in, your shotgun and shell bag and your set

silveragent
12-05-2019, 04:17 PM
RonC I follow a Facebook group called Kayak hunting and those Ascend models are quite popular. They even help some of them bring deer out.

silveragent
12-21-2019, 09:57 AM
Yesterday conditions were awesome. I went out with another guy and set up in different spot on Brunswick that was guaranteed to be hit hard by the tide and it was stormy! Made for very hard core conditions as we had to reset twice and both of us were submerged at different times. Buddy had to get soaked up to neck once to retrieve. Lots of pintails swooping up and down the coastline and mallard groups crossing the swamp from Canoe Pass which wasn't that far away. Couldn't get any to decoy but had plenty of fly overs in our covered spot so was pass shooting. I was being more conservative in my shooting but still got a mallard hen and a widgeon hen. The mallard hen had me chasing it like a fool as it kept diving. If I had been more aggressive or had good way of retrieving I would have got more. My poor gun needs a full break down. I can still taste salt in my mustache.

I met a first timer out there and had to get him to move because he basically set up within stones throw distance of the dyke. He had no idea. And he had two relatives who were hoping to join him and in conversation with them they had the idea they could actually take his gun and help him hunt. Again I had to set them straight because they just shrugged when I asked about permits and warned them the COs and Wildlife Officers had been hitting Brunswick hard. I've been checked three times this year.

silveragent
01-25-2020, 09:52 AM
Got nothing last day as the birds had me figured out from earlier in the week when I got a couple (pintail and widgeon drakes). Had a beautiful sunset and was kept company by 30+ swans! They did not give two sh*ts that I was popping off within a stone's throw. They just kept on feeding and only moved off when I went to retrieve my dekes.

So ends duck season. I had a lot of firsts this season for me. First pintail, first bufflehead, first Eurasian widgeon. I also thought more about decoying this year and built up my stock of toys and even converted four Canada shells into floaters. I was also able to get my range more reliably this year and brought down lots pass-shooting as well as experiencing the joys of potting easy decoying birds. I also picked up my calling game. After a previous season of just random 'shots in the dark' I have the spots and its duck movements figured out for my area. My fridge always had a duck or two or four in it and my friends were fed well with the different varieties. I was "blessed" this season to be not working throughout the season (laid off just before season start!) and was able to go out twice or more a week whenever I felt like it. I don't think I need any more gear for what I can pack in.

My goal for next fall is to either find better land, partner with a hunter with retriever, or get into a boat or kayak as working public land is still hard as the birds have all of the bay to themselves and I have to catch them on the fringes or trafficking. Without a boat or dog I lost a few birds including one day I would have limited out if not for seeing a couple bodies swept out of reach.

I will try for geese in February but need better spots for them (or boat).

It's going to be a long wait until next October!

mastercaster
01-25-2020, 10:17 AM
It's going to be a long wait until next October!

I hunted yesterday, as well. We stayed out all day long just to prolong the hunt. LOL We we ended up one short of a limit because there was NO night flight at all,,,,kind of surprising.

I'm already entering the throws of withdrawl!! Haha

Does pay to have a good dog! 90% of the recoveries are blind retrieves since the dog can't see much while in the blind, although mine is always trying to sneak a peek out from the side, but she made a couple a great retrieves that I thought she'd never find due to the distance (gliders that end up well over a field away) and terrain (blackberry brambles).

silveragent
01-25-2020, 10:30 AM
Good job!

My hunting friends with dogs and boats are always cheekily making fun of my achievements. I would love to step up to that world believe me. I love dogs but need to find another job first, then convince my allergic gf (she can't stand long hair dogs), then move to a place where I can have more space for toys or dog. Realistically I think next fall being in a kayak is what I will end up with. Then I'll at least be able to get on the X better and be able to reel in some of the cripples who have swam or floated away this year.

MichelD
01-25-2020, 03:05 PM
Finished off my season Thursday after going to a field I know and I had to walk a tilting plank across one ditch, then to retrieve some ducks in the next field over had to cross another plank that disappeared under water when I crossed it, the ditch was so over-full. Kind of creepy walking in the water and not seeing the board.

Anyway, ended up with two widgeons and four mallards.

BowsUp
01-25-2020, 05:28 PM
Ended of the season with two Canadas. Haven't been out for years and this season made me realize how much I prefer birds to big game, even with filling my elk tag this year.

mastercaster
01-25-2020, 08:45 PM
Ended of the season with two Canadas. Haven't been out for years and this season made me realize how much I prefer birds to big game, even with filling my elk tag this year.

That must have been a while back. I can't wait for geese to open again.

Have to admit, I think I enjoy the waterfowl hunting just as much as getting out for big game ,,,love doing both but the nice thing about waterfowl hunting is the season is so much longer, it's closer to home, and getting to see my dog in action is what is the icing on the cake! Big game hunting is more of a challenge, though, and probably a little more rewarding because of that.

BowsUp
01-25-2020, 09:21 PM
Misplaced post. They are Island geese. Closed the 24th, no split season where I am.

I thought the whole point was watching the dog work.

mastercaster
01-26-2020, 12:43 AM
Misplaced post. They are Island geese. Closed the 24th, no split season where I am.

I thought the whole point was watching the dog work.

I enjoy watching a bird dog do its thing a lot,,,, especially a pointing breed during an upland hunt like pheasants or chukars, more so than sending the dogs out of a blind for recoveries. Although, there's something to be said about sending a dog on good long blind retrieve over land and water and then see them coming back with a bird that you didn't think there was a hope in hell of getting.

That there is the icing on the cake!

silveragent
02-15-2020, 11:58 PM
Geese opened up again on Tuesday. Friend and I took a boat around Fraser around Westham yesterday and I took a walk around as well including Boundary Bay. Only Canadas I saw were in George C. Riefel. Nothing flying and no sign of snows either. Anyone seen anything?

mastercaster
02-16-2020, 11:38 AM
I was out for a few hours opening day. Took one shot at a small group that passed overhead about 50 yards high. Had to virtually jump to the side because it almost hit me. The dog, didn't even have to retrieve it but I tossed it off to the side for her to bring it back. It was a bout third the size of her. LOL

That's all I saw, though.

https://i.imgur.com/Or3mUrT.jpg

silveragent
02-16-2020, 12:23 PM
Where was this and what breed is your dog?

mastercaster
02-16-2020, 12:49 PM
Where was this and what breed is your dog?

Sorry, but it's undisclosed location since it was a friend who told me where I might see some. Wired-haired pointing griffon (griff or WPG for short).

silveragent
02-16-2020, 06:01 PM
gotcha .. how big is a griff? Eventually would love a retriever but more to the medium sized.

mastercaster
02-16-2020, 06:47 PM
gotcha .. how big is a griff? Eventually would love a retriever but more to the medium sized.

According to the standard female griffs should be 48-55 pounds, males 55-65 pounds. Mine is 49 pounds. They're supposed to be medium size dogs but tell that to some of the American breeders who seemed to be breeding to get monster size griffs. I've heard of some in the 80 pounds or even more range down there.

The nice thing about them is they're classified as a versatile bird dog so they point upland birds, retrieve equally well on land or water, and they can track fur. They're pretty easy to train and make great family members,,,,they love all people, any age or size.

https://i.imgur.com/XQqFwP6.jpg

silveragent
02-17-2020, 01:53 AM
thanks.. that's a hefty sized dog

mastercaster
02-17-2020, 03:01 PM
thanks.. that's a hefty sized dog

Even though griffs are a medium size dog they are bigger than either of the brittany spaniels I had. Probably a little larger than springers, as well, but not near as big as any of the retriever breeds like labs, goldens, or chessies which are classified as large breed dogs or some of the other versatiles like pudlepointers, GWP/DDs, or weimaraners.

silveragent
02-17-2020, 06:41 PM
I just wonder how small a dog I could eventually go for that could still take a swim in tidal waters and make it back with a goose.

silveragent
02-23-2020, 09:31 AM
Was out on Friday on a boat.. canoe pass and north of westham and it was very quiet. Saw geese inland as I was driving in. A big flock on those fields by the highway where the temples are but I assume that's no go .. no snowies to speak of .. Quiet for everyone else?