PDA

View Full Version : just got back from the Kooteneys

sparky300winmag
09-30-2007, 12:34 PM
Well we had a somewhat successful trip and a very interesting trip.

The first full day there my brother got a nice 5x5 mulie incl brows,and on the second day i bagged my biggest mulie to date a nice 4 x4.
We didn't manage to get a 6 point elk , all we saw were some 5 pointers and a 4 point elk.A couple of bulls were spotted ,but couldn't be positive they were 6 pointers.They just weren't very vocal a couple answered calls but only a couple of times and they shut up.
When we are on these elk trips we always try to get a few Whitetails,they are usually spike,twos and three points , but they taste good.We are planning next yeat to go up later in Nov for the big Whiteys and Mulies.We all ended up with at least one deer.My brother and i filled both our deer tags.

Now the exciting part of our trip....
One night we woke up to "bearrrrrrrr", "bearrrrrrrrrrrrrrr".It was my brother yelling at the top of his lungs through a small window in his trailer.I jumped out of bed and yelled "whats going on".he yells"does anyone have a gun in there trailer ,there's a f---ing bear trying to get into my trailer"...By the way my brother was yelling ,i thought the bear was half in his trailer.
Well everyone's awake now and we all answer the same ,the rifles were all locked up in the trucks.Shear panic in the camp..
I opened the door and peeked out and so did my other buddy in one of the other trailers , we didn't see any signs of a bear.We asked my brother are you sure it was a bear.He yells "your goddamn rights its a bear ,i heard it growling and scrapping claws on the trailer".We looked out are trailers again with flashlights and didn't see anything,so we all decided to go out together and check things out.No signs of a bear.We all go the bathroom and grab a couple of rifles and head back to bed.I honestly thought my brother had a dream or was hearing things.

Not in bed for 5 min and my hunting partner and i here growling and noises outside our trailer.We both got up and poked our heads out the window to see a small grizzley cub standing up 15 ft from our trailer..Again the panic was on .We both yelled "its grizzleys ,there's a cub".We looked over to our left to see another cub about 30 ft from my brothers trailer and then big momma grizzley running from the back of my bro's trailer to her one cubs side.Momma stood up up to locate her other cub by our trailer.They all kinda stood there looking at us .We very quickly decided to let a shot out(into the ground) to scare them off.They took off.when i went out side,my bro was coming from the back of his trailer...right where momma left 2 seconds before.He was lucky..
The next morning we found paw prints on my bros trailer and also on my truck,there was dried blood in my truck box.
We decided to use our truck alarms if they returned the next night..

The next night...Heard an alarm go off,so didn't get up ,i figured they would leave.Then i awoke to noises out side.I opened my window and not 5 ft from me were the 2 cubs looking for grub.I just looked at them and calmly asked where momma was and they took off ,not to return that night.

day 3 of the three bears ...We went out for the afternoon hunt and when we returned a tarp was ripped and more paw prints in my bro's trailer .They didn't return that night or at least we didn't hear them.

..by the way did i mention that my bro's trailer is actually a game cooler on wheels with sleeping quarters in front for my bro and his hunting partner and cooling fans ,A/C unit just blowing out a nice dead animal aroma through vents...
All together there were 7 different grizzleys spotted .
A site for pics will be posted shortly.

sparky300winmag
09-30-2007, 12:40 PM
http://www.freewebs.com/sparky300winmag/sparkyandkids.htm

Some pics for you..

HighCountry
09-30-2007, 12:53 PM
Nice deer you got there congrats to you.

Sasquatch
09-30-2007, 12:57 PM
Sounds like you had your share of excitement and a great trip. Nice buck and some biiig smiles in the pics.
Thanks for the story.

newhunterette
09-30-2007, 01:12 PM
congrats on the harvest and wowzer - nice mucky prints there from the grizz - inquisitive things

enjoyed the story and pics very much
thank you

Ali

Jagermeister
09-30-2007, 01:27 PM
I remember a story a friend told me of hunting in the east koots. The story goes like this:
There was a party that were camped in the vicinity of my friend's camp that had potted an elk. They gutted and quartered it and packed it back to their camp. About this time a nasty old grizzly, following the blood scent wafting on the breeze, showed up and started hanging around. This crew decided that it would be prudent to remove the elk quaters from the meat pole and place it in their 11' camper while they resumed hunting for elk or moose. Whilst they were away, Nasty showed up with great pangs of hunger and it was not long before he determined where the meat was. According to my friend, Nasty didn't look for the door, he just peeled back the tin, broke the framework and promptly helped himself to a quarter or two. So the moral of this story is; It could be life threatening sleeping with your meat! :shock: