PDA

View Full Version : Down jackets

Huntingtyler123
10-12-2019, 04:56 PM
Hey everyone

So since the cold weather is upon us I’m looking for a down jacket. I understand the importance of layering and everything. I have all that except for a down jacket. I’ve looked up previous threads but most on this topic are years old.

what down jacket would you recommend for hunting? MEC seems to have some decent ones for sale.

Banker
10-12-2019, 05:20 PM
I bought the Patagonia Windsweep Down Hoody from MEC last year and used it in the bush with layering underneath when it got too cold. It is also a good jacket for cold rain/sleet nights as it is totally waterproof.

It is good to -10 by itself.

RackStar
10-12-2019, 05:39 PM
Got a mountain hardware 650 fill from the sale rack at atmosphere 5 years ago for 75 bucks. It’s been excellent.

BgBlkDg
10-12-2019, 05:53 PM
1. Westcomb

2. Western Mountaineering

3. Feathered Friends

Research these plus Valandre on the internet and buy one that meets your criteria.......costly, but, will outlast you, no shit.

Avalanche123
10-13-2019, 08:59 AM
Why not support a hunting company and go with a Kuiu down jacket? IMO the Kuiu gear is every bit as good as the brands BgBlkDg mentions. The Kuiu gear also comes in non-camo so you can wear it when you are not hunting too.

Ron.C
10-13-2019, 09:12 AM
Lots of good options in hiking and backpacking gear stores where you can get solid gear for a good price and find some real good sales" saying that I wont shop at mec anymore" .
Ive got 2, one fairly light Rab for layering and a Kuhl for a heavier outer layer. Both are extremely packable and Kuhl packs into its own hood making an outstaning pillow when backpacking

rustybarrel
10-13-2019, 09:25 AM
Another nod to mountain hardware...I got one, used it hard, still great, not expensive.
There is a lot of clothing being “targeted” at hunters with high prices- not sure it is required.

DanD
10-13-2019, 09:52 AM
Most big-name companies offer good options. lower fill count (600+) is lower quality down and is heavier and doesn't pack down as small, but are often more durable. The higher fill counts (800+) are the lightest and pack down the smallest but the fabrics often try to capitalize on weight savings and end up being less durable. If you're planning on using it as a layer underneath a shell, I'd recommend something with a higher fill count because it's not going to be at risk of getting snagged or torn. If you think you'll be bushwhacking in it, or are hard on your gear, the 650+ fill gear is still a great option, especially if you're not hiking far from the truck.

For me, the pack-ability of the 800+ stuff is what's most important. PM me if you have any Q's

Kill-da-wabbit
10-13-2019, 10:05 AM
Why not support a hunting company and go with a Kuiu down jacket? IMO the Kuiu gear is every bit as good as the brands BgBlkDg mentions. The Kuiu gear also comes in non-camo so you can wear it when you are not hunting too.
Yes! Support a hunting company. Remember MEC and Patagonia supported the campaign to shut down the grizzly hunt. I use a Kifaru. It's synthetic, not down, but compresses to a store in my bag nicely. Try to get treated down if you can. It is more user friendly for cleaning and stays warmer when wet.

DStewart
10-13-2019, 10:27 AM
A lot of good options from non hunting companies out there. I personally use the first lite chamberlain (850fill) and brooks (650). I am super impressed with the obvious warmth advantages, but also with the durability and water resistance. In a light drizzle I’m not concerned with keeping my down dry if I get stuck without my rain shell.

Huntingtyler123
10-13-2019, 12:10 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. I support kuiu and firstlite mostly. Kuiu is great but have read their down jackets aren’t the “best”. Just was looking for other options out there.

BgBlkDg
10-13-2019, 12:17 PM
The KUIU gear I have seen does not approach the quality of the brands I recommend and costs less over time. I still wear an Egge double duvet I bought in 1974 for about $175.00 at that time and have used it extensively as well as owning and using the other brands I mentioned.

I have often stated here that in mountain gear you do get exactly what you pay for.

Bugle M In
10-13-2019, 01:10 PM
Mountain Hardwear.

Avalanche123
10-14-2019, 01:37 PM
The KUIU gear I have seen does not approach the quality of the brands I recommend and costs less over time. I still wear an Egge double duvet I bought in 1974 for about $175.00 at that time and have used it extensively as well as owning and using the other brands I mentioned.

I have often stated here that in mountain gear you do get exactly what you pay for.

Interesting....I work year round in the mtns and just recently switched over to Kuiu exclusively for the very reasons you don't recommend them. When Arcteryx was made in Canada, they were my go to supplier. Yes I do like Patagonia gear but.....
No arguing from me that mountain specific companies are excellent. I do get Pro Deals from Arcteryx, Patagonia,Kuiu, Sitka etc but in my experience, I really like the Kuiu business model and since I also earn a living hunting and avalanche work, I made a conscious choice to stand behind a hunting company.....for now.
I get it...you get what you pay for. I am not sure what the "best" is as that's a relative term.
A few clients had FirstLight gear...worth looking at too.
I also moved over to Filson as I find their gear stands up to horse hunting quite nicely.
Lots of good gear out there. I gave up on MEC years ago....

decker9
10-14-2019, 02:29 PM
The only down Iv used is the kuiu SD, don’t dare wear it as an outer layer or it will get shredded, but as a insulation layer, it could be a life saver! No matter the hunt, the SD is always in the bag.

huntcoop
10-14-2019, 03:53 PM
The only down Iv used is the kuiu SD, don’t dare wear it as an outer layer or it will get shredded, but as a insulation layer, it could be a life saver! No matter the hunt, the SD is always in the bag.

Whats your outer layer, rain coat or...

decker9
10-14-2019, 05:48 PM
Whats your outer layer, rain coat or...

Either a dew point hard shell or my jetstream over top. For aug/sept backpack hunts I don’t bother with a soft shell. Can’t say I have any other experience with kuiu, but for insulation, Iv never had to look any further, it also only weighs 1/2 lb or so, super light and packable.