PDA

View Full Version : Question - Bears

jlirot
10-08-2019, 08:36 AM
I'm FINALLY going to get out later this week. I haven't been in the woods for at least a month now. :cry: Work, Kids, Etc.

Anyway, my 'stomping grounds' are in 3-20 up around 4,000' - 4,500' - I know there's been a bit of snow already and the temps are around freezing.

Think the bears are still out and about?

Out my backdoor is that elevation - I don't really want to go explore more territory right now because my time is limited.

It will mostly be a walk in the woods with a rifle but I'm wondering if I should consider trying to find a spot at lower elevation.

Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and see some antlers. :-)

DeepJeep
10-08-2019, 08:51 AM
As soon as I saw the title, I read it as:

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA:biggrin:

Question: which bear is better!? Black bear or brown bear?

Sorry dude, i couldn't resist.

I asked the same question and was told that it's tough hunting for bears in late fall, different from spring bear hunt

butcher
10-08-2019, 08:54 AM

Answer: Black Bear!

jlirot
10-08-2019, 10:00 AM
A Boo Boo Bear...:-)

I asked the same question and was told that it's tough hunting for bears in late fall, different from spring bear hunt

Haydenmk
10-08-2019, 10:16 AM
Just saw 2 different black bears very close to there on the weekend.

RyoTHC
10-08-2019, 10:35 AM
Personally I’d be looking a bit lower ?
two black bears taken two weekends in a row with my group one at 1100 and one at 975.

didn’t see much for sign above 1400, though I wouldn’t doubt if the big bruisers already started headed up to hibernate ? Never know unless you try ! Definitely have deer tags with you as well though now that it’s snowed it should get things started !

jlirot
10-08-2019, 01:09 PM
Yeah, I'm really going to go hiking looking for deer in the early AM. I might take the dog out for grouse in the afternoons. I always keep the rifle in the truck in case we bump into anything other than birds - I can hike back and change tactics.

I buy a tag for EVERYTHING. It's so inexpensive - why not be prepared? :-) Who knows when I might bump into a kitty kat?

Personally I’d be looking a bit lower ?
two black bears taken two weekends in a row with my group one at 1100 and one at 975.

didn’t see much for sign above 1400, though I wouldn’t doubt if the big bruisers already started headed up to hibernate ? Never know unless you try ! Definitely have deer tags with you as well though now that it’s snowed it should get things started !

two-feet
10-08-2019, 04:29 PM
Lower elevations will hold the majority of the bears that are not yet in the den. Look for rose hips

WWBC
10-08-2019, 06:58 PM
I was up fairly high on the weekend region 5 ( just at the snow line). Saw bear tracks all over the place in the mud and dusting of snow up there.

Couldn’t find one.... Just Moose ( found two bulls just after talking to a couple road hunters with a draw)

I’ll probably try the same area again this week for a bear. Hope they haven’t moved on yet.

jlirot
10-09-2019, 10:00 AM
saw one set of bear tracks this morning. and one of coyote. not a sign of a deer. i got my 10,000 steps before 8 am this morning. :-)

damn cold where i am. thermometer on my truck said 13 deg F.

albravo2
10-09-2019, 10:36 AM
It seems to me they wait until it is really cold and snowy before they turn in for the season. Any day out trying to eat and add calories is taken as an opportunity. If there is food, they will be there.

That said, logic says there will be more food at lower elevations as temps decrease.