PDA

View Full Version : In a bind for a butcher in the LML

Dash
10-07-2019, 06:27 PM
Hey all,

A friend of ours got a beautiful buck down this weekend and is having trouble locating a butcher that isn't full. I recommended Ullie with Sumas from my own personal experience but unfortunately he's full and can't take it until Thursday.

He's worried about the temps and I don't think his garage is the coolest..

Can anyone recommend another butcher? He's in Chilliwack but I'm sure given the situation he'd be more than willing to travel.

Thanks so much in advance!

Rayne
10-07-2019, 06:30 PM
Dressed to grill in mission. Get some berg pepperoni made. Can’t beat it

Ron.C
10-07-2019, 06:33 PM
Sorry, cant help with another cutter but why not quarter it and put it in your refrigerators? Another option is to quarter it and get it on ice in coolers with the lid cracked to let condensation out. We do this with our spring bears and can keep meat cool for several days.

RyoTHC
10-07-2019, 06:35 PM
Sorry, cant help with another cutter but why not quarter it and put it in your refrigerators? Will most certainly keep till Thursday.

time to invest in a big old yeti. I’m able to quarter a large buck and put it all on ice in the cooler that would suffice for a week atleast !

srupp
10-07-2019, 06:36 PM
Hmmmm steer clear of Sumas meats....imo
congrads on the deer.
Steven

jormac0002
10-07-2019, 06:41 PM
I’ve had a bear and deer done by Manny at Country Meadows Meats this year. Been very happy with him... pepperoni is awesome. My brother dropped a deer off this week he stayed open late for him. Try giving him a call.

Cheers

rhinogeek
10-07-2019, 06:43 PM
He could try calling Beltrame Meat Supply in Langley -- (604) 530-7557 (https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=beltrame+langley#)

ACB
10-07-2019, 06:45 PM
The temps are on their way down tues. night maybe down to 1deg. and a high of 9, If he has it hanging in a garage, he can put a couple of portable house fans pointed towards the deer. It's amazing how good this works to keep the meat dry and cool until he can get it into get cut up.

BimmerBob
10-07-2019, 07:11 PM
How about making a tent cooler with a window air conditioner. Just keep it fairly small and run the air conditioner full blast, should work for a few days to save the meat. All you need is a few 2x4's, some tarps and duct tape.

Huntingtyler123
10-07-2019, 07:47 PM
Country meadows in pit meadows is awesome. Do a fantastic job

HarryToolips
10-07-2019, 07:51 PM
Sorry, cant help with another cutter but why not quarter it and put it in your refrigerators? Another option is to quarter it and get it on ice in coolers with the lid cracked to let condensation out. We do this with our spring bears and can keep meat cool for several days.
True story...the cooler method works well...

quadrakid
10-07-2019, 07:53 PM
buy a 12 dollar boning knife,laptop with youtube and cut that deer up. You will never take a deer to a butcher again.

f350ps
10-07-2019, 08:04 PM
He could try calling Beltrame Meat Supply in Langley -- (604) 530-7557 (https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=beltrame+langley#)
He's not doing game meat anymore. K

f350ps
10-07-2019, 08:06 PM
congrads on the deer.
Steven
Very bad advice, there's a reason he's hard to get into! K

r106
10-07-2019, 08:10 PM
There was a cooler down in matsqui that you can hang it. Havent used it in 2 years not sure if there still there. Paige creek cooler? Something like that. For deer i would just quarter it and put in a fridge or freezer and butcher myself once i have time. Its really easy

Sharpish
10-07-2019, 08:48 PM
congrads on the deer.
Steven

Did you have a bad experience with them?

sparkes3
10-07-2019, 08:51 PM
Try Gord’s in chilliwack

steve-r
10-07-2019, 09:01 PM
congrads on the deer.
Steven
I guess we can all experience things differently.
I've had Ulie at Sumas do 3 elk and a couple deer over the last 4 years, and he just did our moose.
i take him game that doesnt have a hair on it, and I get back the same quality.
Very happy with all the results....roasts and a variety of sausage and jerky. Consistently great service and a fair price.
Maybe a PM to understand the concern?

sako79
10-07-2019, 09:10 PM
Hey all,

A friend of ours got a beautiful buck down this weekend and is having trouble locating a butcher that isn't full. I recommended Ullie with Sumas from my own personal experience but unfortunately he's full and can't take it until Thursday.

Can anyone recommend another butcher? He's in Chilliwack but I'm sure given the situation he'd be more than willing to travel.

I will put my deer in a freezer until sumas has room I've tried others in the lower mainland but won't go anywhere else now

Hugh Mann
10-07-2019, 10:26 PM
buy a 12 dollar boning knife,laptop with youtube and cut that deer up. You will never take a deer to a butcher again.

I second this. After being in a similar bind I said 'screw it' and cut it myself. Even bought myself an electric meat grinder to do my own burger. Done five animals in the last two years. The equipment easily pays for itself and it honestly doesn't take very long. Especially if you have help.

whitespringer
10-07-2019, 10:41 PM
Country meadows in pit meadows is awesome. Do a fantastic job
They were full on Friday 😬

Dash
10-07-2019, 10:52 PM
Thanks so much for the feedback everyone!

Elkaddict
10-07-2019, 11:34 PM
Mission meat shop, up Stave lake road

DoubleDeuce
10-07-2019, 11:35 PM
There was a cooler down in matsqui that you can hang it. Havent used it in 2 years not sure if there still there. Paige creek cooler? Something like that. For deer i would just quarter it and put in a fridge or freezer and butcher myself once i have time. Its really easy

Yup Page Creek coolers is still up and running.

tigrr
10-08-2019, 08:05 AM
2 saw horses, a sheet of plywood and 3 layers of 6 mil plastic bleach it all down and cut the deer up. 6 hours and it is in the freezer. We buy meat wrapping paper at presidents choice or whole sale foods. 3 rolls of masking tape. Save the fatless trim and other bits for sausage meat to be taken to a butcher to be made into whatever. Or buy a grinder with the money you saved and try making your own sausage or patties. I butcher the deer and my wife wraps it. 100's of recipe's for sausage on the internet. Even video's of butchering deer. I have butchered 5 deer, 4 moose, 2 pigs and 2 beef cows. It's not rocket science.

Taurusguy
10-08-2019, 10:04 AM
Sport city butchers does a good job. They are in Surrey.

MichelD
10-08-2019, 10:21 AM
I'd have to echo those that say do it yourself.

My wife and I have been doing it since 1975 when we were first married. Thousands of pounds of wild meat have gone across our kitchen tables in the last 44 years. As tigrr says, it's not rocket science.

I had a meat cut chart in an old Five Roses Flour cook book, and I remember being told once that butchers use lamb cutting methods for venison, but looking at the chart, many cuts are made with a band saw.

We don't have any fancy tools, just a kitchen knife and my selection of hunting knives. Oh yeah, I have to admit I have a meat saw now. That's great for slicing the ribs into strips for roasting.

Basically you take the meat off the bones and if it looks like a roast, cut it to shape and wrap it, looks like stew meat, cut it up, etc. We just started cutting it by guess and by gosh and have refined the technique over the years. We used to use hand grinders but eventually sprung for a Canadian Tire grinder. Wore that one out and are into the second now. We've done many deer, numerous bears, half a Roosevelt elk twice and once a whole Roosevelt elk cow.

It's probably too late for your friend to gear up this time around, that deer's gotta get cut up right now, but for next time I'd recommend the diy method.

As others have said as well, there are plenty of videos you can watch on Youtube now.

tyreguy
10-08-2019, 04:06 PM
Hmmmm - appears like a bit of a Troll comment (IMO), care to elaborate?
Used Sumas many times and know lots of other guys who also use them and have good history.

congrads on the deer.
Steven

silvertipp
10-08-2019, 05:16 PM
Your comment is complete bulls hat
Steven is the exact opposite of a troll
he has helped more people on this site than anyone els that's a fact
if you care to go through his post you will see why he has a problem with Sumas
I personally have not experienced a problem with Sumas but Steven has and is passing it on

mr604
10-08-2019, 05:22 PM
Dressed to grill in mission. Get some berg pepperoni made. Can’t beat it

I second the recommendation...great place

BeerMan
10-08-2019, 05:41 PM
Try Gord’s in chilliwack

Gord quit cutting game a couple of years ago. To bad,he was the best butcher i ever had cut game for me. Price was right to.
Apparently only doing Beef now:-(

Gun Dog
10-08-2019, 06:02 PM
There's also Ennis Meats in Langley. I have no idea if they're full or not. In a pinch you can go to an ice rink and fill up your pickup with ice shavings. That'll keep your deer cold.

sapper
10-08-2019, 06:51 PM
I have only had good experiences with Sumas Meats with Ulie and his, now passed, father.

Buckaroo
10-08-2019, 09:35 PM
Meadow's Meats in Pitt Meadows did some wicked stuff for me. I'd use them again if ever I can't do my own.

ryanonthevedder
10-08-2019, 09:57 PM
Tell him not to be a pussy all his life and do it him self. Once you do one it’s a eureka moment. The German deli on alexander in chwk can do the burger and ssg afterwards.

This is the video that paved the way for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQtfNMyWZaE

DO IT

whitlers
10-08-2019, 11:19 PM
Hmmmm - appears like a bit of a Troll comment (IMO), care to elaborate?
Used Sumas many times and know lots of other guys who also use them and have good history.

Sumas is hit and miss. I have had it both ways there. Hard to find a food meat cutter in the valley anymore. I find myself processing my own more frequently.

Vini
10-18-2019, 04:18 PM
Word of advise:

If you are going to butcher the deer yourself, make sure you adjust the height of your table to about or above your hip line. I butchered a deer this week and my back was complaining at times.

twoSevenO
10-18-2019, 04:23 PM
Hey all,

I had some meat done there at Sumas meats .... never again. They are nice folks that work there, but the place is an absolute pig sty. The whole shop is on some kind of mud pit with blood and mud everywhere. On top of that the pepperoni sucked so never again.

r106
10-18-2019, 04:34 PM
Word of advise:

If you are going to butcher the deer yourself, make sure you adjust the height of your table to about or above your hip line. I butchered a deer this week and my back was complaining at times.

Yes great advice. I have wood blocks i put under the table legs to make it a comfortable height.

TARCHER
10-18-2019, 04:56 PM
Worst case scenario debone it yourself, freeze it. You can make it into different sausage later.