PDA

View Full Version : 4 year old moose roasts

randymac
10-07-2019, 01:05 PM
Cleaning out the freezer to make room for this years moose and found a couple roasts from moose shot in 2015. would you use them to make jerky or grind them up for dog food?

warnniklz
10-07-2019, 01:11 PM
I steal everyone's meat they deem "too old"

If wrapped properly, thaw, cook, eat

Bigger things like roast, trim off freezer burnt area (if present) then cook. Steaks are a little trickier. I marinate the steaks after trimming them. But they can taste a little like freezer paper if not marinated.

wideopenthrottle
10-07-2019, 01:16 PM
I too would just trim the exposed stuff, chop the trim up and freeze it flattened out to make breaking off meatcicles easier...my little dog starts running in circles every time I open the fridge freezer hoping for her meatcicle. The roast can always be chopped into stewing size chunks, steaks or even ground up

Slinky Pickle
10-07-2019, 01:23 PM
I won't tell you how old the meat is that I consume from time to time as it would probably result in my being chastised. Cook it up and enjoy!

Leaseman
10-07-2019, 01:33 PM
I would do jerky!

Then take the jerky out hunting with you!;)

moosinaround
10-07-2019, 01:37 PM
Totally edible. Might be grey on the outside, but its all pink in the middle! Eat it!! Moosin

Sharpish
10-07-2019, 03:04 PM
I ate a 2 year old moose tenderloin the other day that was absolutely delicious. If it's wrapped with saran and then waxed paper it lasts nearly forever.

Firstblood
10-07-2019, 06:42 PM
Had some sausages the other day made 4 years ago made of meat that was already a year old. Crock pot that chunk of protein and it will eat just as good.

srthomas75
10-07-2019, 06:57 PM
I did the same thing last year. [ cleaned out the freezer to make room for the new stuff ] I couldn't bring myself to tossing it out so I tried jerky. I thawed the roasts enough to shjave off the outer freezer burnt layer. 1/4 - 3/8" ? then hand sliced them while still partially frozen. then marinated for a day or so in a couple different flavour batches. then into the dehydrator. No one said they didn't like the results. [ they questioned me when I said some were about 5 years old ]