PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Reduction 5 year study

Scotty76
10-07-2019, 10:09 AM
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/environment/plants-animals-and-ecosystems/wildlife-wildlife-habitat/caribou/south_peace_caribou_recovery_following_five_years_ of_experimental_wolf_reduction.pdf

This just came out in August.
Some good reading. Not at all surprised.
I would post photos of the graph results but still haven’t figured out how to post pictures.

also just for the ones who like podcasts,

The hunting collective episode 79 with guest Dr. Valerius Geist.
Ive read some of his stuff but never heard him on a podcast. Pretty cool stuff, lots about predators and what’s going on now with wildlife. Can link it to the caribou issues very easily.

Arctic Lake
10-07-2019, 10:53 AM
Thanks for posting Scotty ! Do you have a link to the podcast never liistened to a podcast before . Arctic Lake

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/environment/plants-animals-and-ecosystems/wildlife-wildlife-habitat/caribou/south_peace_caribou_recovery_following_five_years_ of_experimental_wolf_reduction.pdf

This just came out in August.
Some good reading. Not at all surprised.
I would post photos of the graph results but still haven’t figured out how to post pictures.

also just for the ones who like podcasts,

The hunting collective episode 79 with guest Dr. Valerius Geist.
Ive read some of his stuff but never heard him on a podcast. Pretty cool stuff, lots about predators and what’s going on now with wildlife. Can link it to the caribou issues very easily.

Scotty76
10-07-2019, 11:06 AM
https://www.themeateater.com/listen/the-hunting-collective-2/ep-79-predator-pits-riding-moose-and-fighting-for-the-north-american-model-with-dr-valerius-geist

One of the better podcasts I’ve listened to in a while.

bearvalley
10-07-2019, 11:07 AM
A great report!
Mike Bridger and the wildlife crew in the northeast are doing a solid job of decision making to recover sinking populations of caribou.....along with helping the increase of other ungulates.

Habitat recovery is very much needed to keep species balanced in the long term future but how much faster/efficiently could we do this short term recovery if bears (both grizzly & black) were to be included into the reduction program.
My bet is we could at least double the increase percentage we are now seeing with these caribou in the study area.

Also, these reduction efforts should be broadened out and carried thru with where mountain caribou populations in BC are still strong.
It makes a lot more sense to maintain a thriving, viable population that it does to try and recover one from the brink of extinction.

bc7mm
10-07-2019, 05:20 PM
Was very informative. Thanks for the link

Walking Buffalo
10-07-2019, 07:58 PM
Besides the effectiveness of wolf reductions enhancing caribou populations, this study also shows the need for the wolf reduction to be applied to large areas.
The number of wolves migrating into the research areas each year is staggering....
I wish the paper gave a deeper analysis of this concern.

two-feet
10-07-2019, 09:51 PM
Besides the effectiveness of wolf reductions enhancing caribou populations, this study also shows the need for the wolf reduction to be applied to large areas.
The number of wolves migrating into the research areas each year is staggering....
I wish the paper gave a deeper analysis of this concern.

ya, the number that caught my eye was the required removal of 85% of the wolf population every year to keep pace with new wolves moving into the area.

Bugle M In
10-08-2019, 10:14 AM
I just came back from the EK.
I complained that there were wolves all over the place and that the local trapper wasn't going after them.
Then a member here tells me there is a "new trapper" and that there are no wolves in the area I go.
Well, last year there was little sign of them.
This year, well, all I can say is "THERE BACK"!
ALL OVER the place.
And some fricking big ones in the pack from the size of the tracks.
So this new trapper putting a dent into them is total BS.
Well, he better get cracking...lol...I doubt it!

There is only one way to deal with these things, and we need to reduce them big time, other wise they just come back too fast.

Sangstercraft
10-08-2019, 12:45 PM
Maybe this is a dumb question, and the answer is probably in the book already.. but can a rancher shoot wolves at night with a spot light, using a bait pile? Thinking that might be an effective way.. Or maybe there's ranchers that'd let us do the dirty work of sitting up all night waiting for them to arrive.

J-F
10-08-2019, 01:26 PM
Don't think you would get more than one per pack by shooting them.

Trapping would be more effective from what I have understood. Poison works even better...

Spy
10-08-2019, 02:14 PM
I have a couple buddy’s in South Africa that cull Jackals at night, their set ups are impressive and the results just as impressive. From what I’ve seen this would work for wolves here and be very effective.

tigrr
10-08-2019, 09:15 PM
A road killed moose and some willows with a few paths in to moose. Snares can get 5 out of 6. 4 have moved back in. Rarely see them in day light.

Cordillera
10-14-2019, 06:39 PM
This report should get more attention. Lots of hunters think you can help populations by shooting a wolf but it’s pretty clear you need to go big or... and very interesting that there has not been much increase in moose in the area despite a high removal of wolves over almost five years.

Also give credit to a few hardworking government staff like Mike Bridger and Chris Addison who did the grunt work to make this work. Those bios need support as they get roasted pretty frequently.

Also this is now endorsed by both political parties so likely to continue for at least five more years. Proposal now to expand to other places.

butthead
10-15-2019, 08:08 AM
i really don't see all that many wolfs during the day
maybe less than 10 and i spend some time in the bush
but i believe there are lots of them out there
think thats why iam not seeing deer like i used too