PDA

View Full Version : Got my first elk!!!

cowboy-up69
09-30-2007, 01:26 AM
So here is the story to my first elk I got last ngiht.

It started out 5 of us went into an area that had a few elk. Called and called but no response. So we all split up, and I was with a guy that didnt have a rifle or anything, and we headed to a meadow that I knew about that was about 1 km from where we split. Found a huge nice tree to sit under, and started callin with my hoochie mama. No response. It started gettin cold after about half an hour, and my buddy asked if I wanted to go and I said sure. Just as he stood up, I looked over and saw something big and really light brown. Sure enough, bull elk, looked small, but we both got behind the tree, and I zoomed in to count points, couldnt really tell cause he was about 300 yards away. So I let out a few chirps and he was moving in FAST!!!! He got to about 150 yards and I couldnt finally make out how many points he had. Counted 5 the first time. Then he got to about 100 yards and I counted 6, so I got ready to shoot, and the first chance he had to get broadside to me, I let one rip. Hit him good, a little far back, but got a chunk of his lung, and ripped his liver apart. He started staggering away going slow, and I let another chirp go, and he stopped and I let another fly, totally missing it. Then he walked a bit more, then one more chirp and he turned broadside, looking right at us. Just as I pulled the trigger he turned and I popped him right in the ass. Butttt, the thing is, I only brought 3 bullets, cuz I wasnt expecting to split up and I was gunna let my buddies have first shot. So we watched him stagger to the trees and he dissapeared. We went and met up with the rest of the group, told them what happened (they had 3 cows 40 yards from them when we yelled and they took off) and we went runnin back cuz it was about 6pm and almost gettin dark. Searched for a bit, didnt see anything till dark, so we headed back to town for the night and go look for him in the morning. Got up there bright and early, searched for 2.5 hours, didnt see or smell anything. Came back to town cuz my buddy had to go to work. Then I borrowed my brothers truck to go talk to another friend to see if he wanted to come help look. I knew he was dead, just didnt know where. So we went up, found a tiny patch of blood about 100 yards from the last patch. He went up this trail, and I went to his left about 100 yards. I could barely hear him, but he yelled he found him, and so I went runnin and sure enough, he was dead about 1km from the tree I was shooting from, and his blood trail ran from that tree, all the way to where we found him in a straight line. No zig zagged or anything. So we gutted him out, went back to town for more help, and was draggin him out when 3 more hunters came out of nowhere. Talked for a bit, and apparently this bull was the one that one guy was after, and he was MAD! But too bad!! HeHe! Finally got back to town at 5-6pm this afternoon, called the CO and reported, got lotsa pics takin from all kinds of ppl. lol. Ron and Loretta from the sport shop took a REALLY nice pic of me and the bull, and she went inside and printed it and put it in the a frame and gave it to me!!! Really nice of her!!!!!!!
Heres the pic, its not the best but Im hoping to have some more by 2morrow aftre work!!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/cmare8/firstelk.jpg
What do u guys think, big or average or what?? Hes a 7x6, farely wide and tall, with the tips of 2 points broken off. My hands couldnt not go around the bases but I got small hands. Hes getting mounted too!!! Anywayz, now that I un-expectedly got a bull elk, I think Im gunna go out and bag the SMALLEST muley buck I have ever seen!!! Haha. We'll see what happens.

fozzy
09-30-2007, 01:47 AM
Nice Elk :) Congrats! I'm glad that you found it. Did it get bone sour over night? I was at Ron and Loreta's shop last year when some guys brought in an Elk that had sat out over night and it had gone bad It too was a beauty. What did you have to report to the CO, the guy that was mad at you?

coolhunter
09-30-2007, 01:56 AM
nice bull lucky guy!

Jetboat
09-30-2007, 05:24 AM
Beauty elk! Glad to hear you didn't give up :D

Thunderstix
09-30-2007, 06:01 AM
Very nice man! I would have stuck with it as well.

kgriz
09-30-2007, 08:00 AM
Congrats on your big bull, he'll make a beautiful addition to your trophy room and your "memory banks"

BIGHUNTERFISH
09-30-2007, 08:06 AM
Thats an awesome bull,in a tough area to find a 6 point.Great accomplishment you must be proud as hell.:smile: :-D :mrgreen: :)

Will
09-30-2007, 08:12 AM
Great Bull ! Congrats !
Love the part about 3 Bullets.........been there before:oops:

Awesome Bull 1st or otherwise;-)

Tanya
09-30-2007, 08:25 AM
Congratulations! Great elk and good story. Packing more shells in the future eh?:smile:

mcrae
09-30-2007, 09:07 AM
Nice bull got my first this year as well its something else eh!

30-06
09-30-2007, 01:05 PM
nice lookin elk there Cmare

Elkhound
09-30-2007, 01:11 PM
sweet elk.........glad you found him

bsa30-06
09-30-2007, 01:34 PM
congrats cliff , thats a nice bull.

newhunterette
09-30-2007, 01:39 PM
[quote=cowboy-up69;190018]So here is the story to my first elk I got last ngiht.

WAY TO GO ^5 of a nice job and a really entertaining story - thanks for sharing and looking forward to more pics

Ali

mark
09-30-2007, 02:33 PM
Sweet bull there cowboy, congrads! I take it your now a new member of elkaholics anonnymous????

DropTines
09-30-2007, 03:27 PM
good work Cliff
________
Penny stock (http://pennystockpicks.net/)

Murder
09-30-2007, 05:19 PM
Good on ya. Looks like a good one to me. Lmao at the guy being "mad". He should have worked harder, sooner...lol

3kills
09-30-2007, 08:14 PM
congrats cliff...

cowboy-up69
09-30-2007, 08:31 PM
Thanks guys.

cowboy-up69
09-30-2007, 08:34 PM
Nice Elk :) Congrats! I'm glad that you found it. Did it get bone sour over night? I was at Ron and Loreta's shop last year when some guys brought in an Elk that had sat out over night and it had gone bad It too was a beauty. What did you have to report to the CO, the guy that was mad at you?

It started to stink pretty bad when we were draggin it out. I just gave all the meat to my dad.

cowboy-up69
09-30-2007, 08:34 PM
Thats an awesome bull,in a tough area to find a 6 point.Great accomplishment you must be proud as hell.:smile: :-D :mrgreen: :)

Ohhhh Im happy as can be I tell ya!!!!

cowboy-up69
09-30-2007, 08:35 PM
Congratulations! Great elk and good story. Packing more shells in the future eh?:smile:

Definately!!!! I aint gunna leave with no less then 10 shells from now on!! Haha, oh well, we all make mistakes!

cowboy-up69
09-30-2007, 08:36 PM
Nice bull got my first this year as well its something else eh!
It was sucha rush man, I loved it!!!

cowboy-up69
09-30-2007, 08:43 PM
Sweet bull there cowboy, congrads! I take it your now a new member of elkaholics anonnymous????

Ohh yes, Im addicted! Im gunna hunt elk soo much more now!!!!!

cowboy-up69
10-01-2007, 08:43 PM
Here are 4 more pics of my elk's rack that I took with my cell phone, not the best pics but good enough!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/cmare8/meandelk3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/cmare8/meandelk2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/cmare8/elk4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/cmare8/elk1.jpg
And thats Kishman standing in the background in the last pic!

Derek_Erickson
10-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Must be nice, can't wait to try for one with the bow next year!

paraschost
10-01-2007, 09:43 PM
well done. great lookin' elk

cowboy-up69
10-02-2007, 03:57 PM
well done. great lookin' elk

Thanks bud.

Fireball129
10-02-2007, 04:42 PM
Congrats Cowboy,very nice first elk!!can't beat that or maybe you can??LOL

cowboy-up69
10-02-2007, 05:28 PM
Congrats Cowboy,very nice first elk!!can't beat that or maybe you can??LOL

I bet I'll never beat that in this area haha. I lucked out on it, and probly wont ever see another bull like that again. But who knows!

cowboy-up69
10-04-2007, 08:52 PM
Alrighty guys, I just did a rough score and it came up as 279, does that sound right to you guys???

Paulyman
10-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Congratulations, great work on the recovery!

MattB
10-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Nice elk for sure. I actually saw a really big bull in Princeton this summer. Mainbeams were a lot longer than your bulls, every tine was at least 5-10" longer. I couldnt believe the size of it when i saw it, i didnt think Okanagan elk got that big....Saw him up Willis Creek.

cowboy-up69
10-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Nice elk for sure. I actually saw a really big bull in Princeton this summer. Mainbeams were a lot longer than your bulls, every tine was at least 5-10" longer. I couldnt believe the size of it when i saw it, i didnt think Okanagan elk got that big....Saw him up Willis Creek.

Thats where I got mine. 2 big bulls got taken up there so far.

todbartell
10-04-2007, 11:11 PM
glad you found him :)