PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a tough steak recipe

Bustercluck
10-06-2019, 06:58 PM
I have some moose steaks from last year and I’m looking for some kind of slow cooker recipe to soften them up.

sako79
10-06-2019, 07:06 PM
You don't need a slow cooker just soak it in Jack Daniels for 48 hours good to go

Fella
10-06-2019, 07:09 PM
Throw them into a crockpot, dump a can of beer or 5 until they’re covered. Toss garlic, chopped onion, jalapeño, chili powder and any other Mexican spices or herbs into it. Set on low for 4-8 hours. Shred and throw them into taco shells with sour cream, hot sauce, cilantro etc

IslandWanderer
10-06-2019, 07:18 PM
Both of the above ideas sound great.

Bustercluck
10-06-2019, 07:29 PM
Throw them into a crockpot, dump a can of beer or 5 until they’re covered. Toss garlic, chopped onion, jalapeño, chili powder and any other Mexican spices or herbs into it. Set on low for 4-8 hours. Shred and throw them into taco shells with sour cream, hot sauce, cilantro etc
This sounds good. I’m going to give this a go with some Mexican rice in a wrap with some avocado, tomato, cheese and maybe some retried beans

Rieber
10-06-2019, 09:16 PM
retired beans - lol :)

warnniklz
10-07-2019, 08:48 AM
You don't need a slow cooker just soak it in Jack Daniels for 48 hours good to go

Don't forget to soak yourself in Jack Daniels!

Tough moose steaks after being in the freezer for a year?

Slice thin, fast fry... look up a cheese steak recipe that looks appetizing to you, down the hatch

todbartell
10-07-2019, 09:03 AM
slow cooker is your friend. Slice into bite size pieces, brown them quickly in a hot pan. Toss into the slow cooker. Cover with a broth, add potatoes, carrots, onion, etc. Season to your liking. 8-10 hours on low and it will be tender

2stroked
10-07-2019, 11:29 AM
Pressure cooker.

hawk-i
10-07-2019, 11:54 AM
Minute steak or a stew slow cooked in the oven for several hours is always good cure for a tough cut.

goatdancer
10-07-2019, 03:46 PM
Just curious. How do you know it's tough?

Bustercluck
10-07-2019, 10:06 PM
Just curious. How do you know it's tough?
so far, every steak off of this moose has been pretty tough. If they weren’t tough they would have been gone by last October.

Bustercluck
10-08-2019, 10:20 PM

We just ate this for dinner tonight. Talk about fantastic. This is my first time shredding meat for burritos.

ratherbefishin
10-09-2019, 08:39 PM
Or just marianate it for a week,tenderizes any tough cut

chola
10-11-2019, 06:53 AM
Pressure cooker.

this right here......I pressure can things like this..awesome

Wentrot
10-11-2019, 07:37 AM
Souse vide is a game changer

albravo2
10-11-2019, 08:56 AM
Another huge fan of pressure cooker here. We were given an Instantpot a while ago and I use it a lot. Any meat turns fork tender and gravy and potatoes are included in the process.

Sautee some veggies (onion, garlic, carrot, celery, peppers) in the instantpot while you flash-fry the meat in a skillet to give it a nice crispy exterior. Put the meat over the veggies, sprinkle some steak spice then put some potatoes and butter in tinfoil on top of the meat. Pressure cook for 35 minutes, let cool for 20. Remove the potatoes and meat, add a bit of corn starch to the veggies and juices in the bottom of the pan and stir to make gravy. Bam, delicious tender dinner.

All that said, I love the taco/burrito options too.

kolofardos
10-11-2019, 09:04 AM
I soak tough cuts in milk for 24 to 48 hours. Does a better job of tenderizing than acid based marinades. Also takes away gamey taste if your feeding someone that's sensitive to it.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/526860-does-soaking-beef-in-milk-make-it-tender/

tigrr
10-11-2019, 07:30 PM
Swiss steak with onions and garlic. Google the recipe and throw it in the slow cooker with a slow cooker liner. The slow cooker cleaner will thank you.
That or cube it and add 2 clubhouse gravy mix packets, onions, garlic, potatoes, carrots, a 1/2 liter of beef broth and salt & pepper to the slow cooker liner. yum

Brno22F
10-11-2019, 07:58 PM
slow cooker is your friend. Slice into bite size pieces, brown them quickly in a hot pan. Toss into the slow cooker. Cover with a broth, add potatoes, carrots, onion, etc. Season to your liking. 8-10 hours on low and it will be tender

Another option my wife often uses is a LeCreuset cast iron dutch oven with a similar recipe to the one above. The toughest cuts of moose will melt in your mouth.