PDA

View Full Version : Deer Inspection Region 4

nelsonob1
10-04-2019, 06:31 PM
We were stopped between Creston/Cranbrook by fed conservation officers doing roadside inspections. There was a few interesting issues:

1. Ticketed for not keeping testicles attached to the deer even though it was broken down into small pieces in the field before being packed out and we retained the skull.

2. Told that I had to give up the head for cwd inspection and it would not be returned.

3. Told I needed a tag for wolf and the max was one.

Think I will challenge the ticket - I understand the reg but if the deer is broken down and deboned, retaining skull and antlers is equal proof. They also didnt inspect the meat bags - a little too bloody for the bird guys. Curious what others think.

bob the tomato
10-04-2019, 06:34 PM
Where would someone purchase a wolf tag would be my question. Seems like another uneducated law enforcement individual

Aaron600
10-04-2019, 06:44 PM
I believe the regs state the testicles need to be attached to the deer. Just retaining skull/antler does not prove that the animal is a male. I guess someone could freeze a buck head from the current/previous year, kill a doe, chuck the head of the doe with the buck head on board and claim it was a buck they just harvested.

moosecamp
10-04-2019, 06:47 PM
Skull and antlers are not proof of sex. There are dishonest people that would shoot a buck, keeping the head and then go out and shoot a doe using the head as proof ''THAT ITS A BUCK''. That's why you need to leave a nut or part of the penis attached. Your lucky they didn't write you up for not keeping the tail attached also. Wolf tag now that's a joke.
(2) For deer, the unskinned tail, AND: (i) If the animal is male, a testicle or part of the penis, (ii) If the animal is female, a portion of the udder and teats. (

Rayne
10-04-2019, 07:00 PM
What happens if you happen to shoot an antlered doe and break it down?
Good luck explaining that

ryanb
10-04-2019, 07:05 PM
You have to leave proof of sex attached as per the regs now. Used to say proof of sex or antlers but they cleaned that up in the regs. If it's an altered doe, you still need proof of sex. Take lots of pictures before you break it down if possible too avoid questions...but perfectly legal.

You will lose the challenge if you try, do save your and everyone else's time and just pay the fine.

sako79
10-04-2019, 07:18 PM
Number 2 is only in a few areas and they want the brain, tongue, lower jaw and part of neck

303savage
10-04-2019, 08:35 PM
]It say's in the regulations The top left of page 18.

HarryToolips
10-04-2019, 08:48 PM
Skull and antlers are not proof of sex. There are dishonest people that would shoot a buck, keeping the head and then go out and shoot a doe using the head as proof ''THAT ITS A BUCK''. That's why you need to leave a nut or part of the penis attached. Your lucky they didn't write you up for not keeping the tail attached also. Wolf tag now that's a joke.
(2) For deer, the unskinned tail, AND: (i) If the animal is male, a testicle or part of the penis, (ii) If the animal is female, a portion of the udder and teats. (
This is right..
and yes it's a joke about the wolf tag, as it says right n the regs that tags for wolf are not required....and some of region 4 the bag limit for wolf is 3, other areas it's NBL...

nelsonob1
10-04-2019, 10:07 PM
Yes I understand the regs. But it's a bag of meat. What's the difference between the antlers & head and a penis attached to a pound of meat? Minor point but I was not hunting penises.

Pioneerman
10-04-2019, 11:16 PM
Animal broken down does not change the regs and rules. So you have to keep a patch of fur intact why not the proof of sex. Many years ago we got stopped in Chetwynd with two moose in my camper. We had to pull out the quarters and they inspected them and we also forgot to leave proof attached. We did have the heads with racks in truck also, so they were fresh, but could have been used ten times as far as they know. One CO was digging fat out of the pelvic area and checking that for some reason. So I asked the other CO what is the purpose of that. He said the fat text is different on cow than bull in that area. I said can you not see a difference in bone structure one being able to pass a calf and the other not being able. He saw other garbage bags in the camper and asked to see them. I laughed and said sure, they are actual garbage we did not leave any out there and picked up two full ones from last hunters camped there. He quickly opened two of them, one was our garbage and the other was all dirty and wet with some snow on it from laying around in camp site. Lucky for us , he believed we the two moose we had and they were bulls, and he said I could give you a find for not proof of sex, but since you brought out your trash and picked up others we appreciate that and have safe drive home. So always have proof, or bring lots of garbage lol

J_T
10-05-2019, 05:35 AM
We were stopped between Creston/Cranbrook by fed conservation officers doing roadside inspections. There was a few interesting issues:

1. Ticketed for not keeping testicles attached to the deer even though it was broken down into small pieces in the field before being packed out and we retained the skull.

2. Told that I had to give up the head for cwd inspection and it would not be returned.

Think I will challenge the ticket - I understand the reg but if the deer is broken down and deboned, retaining skull and antlers is equal proof. They also didnt inspect the meat bags - a little too bloody for the bird guys. Curious what others think.
1. Correct. Must keep evidence on all portions of meat. We watch a lot of videos of guys breaking animals into manageable meat parts, but in BC, we have unique requirements about evidence. You also need to keep the tail attached. Head, dick and tail.
2. Correct. The actions being taken to monitor CWD intrusion have been well advertised. Everyone knows, in R4 and 7, in specified MU's you are required to drop off the head. There are locations provided and you can submit the required portion and still keep any antlers if you require.
3. There is no species licence for wolves. In some areas of R4 there is NBL for wolves. Otherwises it's 3.

butthead
10-05-2019, 06:38 AM
read the regs
understand the reg
follow the regs to the T
break the rules
pay the price
when caught

GreyDog
10-05-2019, 07:43 AM
Rules are rules but stupid is stupid. I know of no hunter who has passed on a big buck because he couldn't see a penis or testicles. This is largely why they had seasons for antlered and anterless rather than bucks and does and it is why no one was ever charged for shooting an antlered doe. If the animal is boned out and the meat packed in bags, you leave the evidence of sex attached to what exactly? Does a small piece of meat suffice? If the evidence of sex is attached to one piece of meat, is the rest of the meat still legal? Does this mean an animal cannot be dismembered? Are we expected to pack an elk out in one piece? Overzealous interpretation of regulations will only breed contempt for the regulations and enforcement personell. GD

tigrr
10-05-2019, 08:15 AM
They ticket everything they can. Have to pay wages for the day.
I have met some good CO's and some not so good.

10-05-2019, 08:51 AM
Wierd on the wolf statement. There are NO tags required for residents.
IMO. Sorry but rules r rules. Its NO issue leaving the dick or balls on a 1/4. No big deal at all. Back packed out Bucks, Bulls, Rams and Billys, all had either the dick, balls or both still attached. We also left a tiny piece of hair on each part, yes its extreme but can be done. Recently the tail must be included, again no big deal. Know the regs and follow them. And of course bring out the headgear. As for getting it back, id follow that up.
As for sampling the critter for CWD, again, whats the big deal, some regions and MUs have specific rules. Know them and follow them.

HighCountryBC
10-05-2019, 09:40 AM
It’s not difficult to leave evidence of sex attached to a hind-quarter of an animal. It’s clearly laid out in the regulations as well. You will lose your challenge.

sako79
10-05-2019, 09:47 AM
I just came back from the kootenays with a whitetail I left the tail and the sex on as per regulations
Stated

Wentrot
10-05-2019, 10:04 AM
I just came back from the kootenays with a whitetail I left the tail and the sex on as per regulations
Stated

Well done boehm

dracb
10-05-2019, 10:20 AM
Recent change in regulations. I add here because I find most hunters I speak with have not bothered to read the synopsis.

NOTE: To improve enforceability and
simplify regulations, the option to use
antlers to prove sex and species while
transporting harvested wildlife is no longer
available. Please refer to the section below
for the new requirements while transporting
harvested wildlife from the kill location
to a meatcutter, owner or operator of a
cold storage plant, or the hunters normal
dwelling place. A person must, while
returning from hunting, keep the antlers
or horns of wildlife killed during an antler/
horn restricted season (i.e., 6 pt, full curl,
spike-fork, etc.) and the species licence
under which the wildlife was killed, together
and available for inspection by an officer.
(1) For caribou, elk or moose, the
animal’s tail or another readily
identifiable part of the hide not less
than 6 cm2, AND:
(i) If the animal is male, a testicle
or part of the penis,
(ii) If the animal is female, a
portion of the udder or teats.
(2) For deer, the unskinned tail, AND:
(i) If the animal is male, a testicle or
part of the penis,
(ii) If the animal is female, a portion
of the udder and teats.
(3) For bison, mountain goat or mountain
sheep:
(i) If the animal is male, a testicle
or part of the penis.
(ii) If the animal is female, a
portion of the udder or teats.

bensonvalley
10-06-2019, 07:43 PM
Good trick we learned about the testicles and penis attached to the quarter is tie a bit of ribbon to the one bag of meat that has those. Saves time opening game bags and looking around. Yeah I call BS on the wolf tag, you don’t need one.

mastercaster
10-06-2019, 10:03 PM
So the way I've always read the regs is that if it is an any buck part of the season you didn't have to pack out the head as long as you left the tail, the small patches of fur on each quarter and evidence of sex. If it was a 4 point only part of the season then the head must come out with the animal.

So ,,,,does the head of a mule deer for region 3 or 8 necessary during the month of October?

mr604
10-07-2019, 01:15 AM

I think this situation sucks...

1. That ticket sucks.....my first instinct is fight it too....but check out Dracb's response...it is the only correct one... so your challenge, if you choose to invest the time will fail, unfortunately

2. True...head needs to go in...but who wants the head?...the Sh&*^ty thing is they may inform you it has CWD (let's all hope they don't) and then what do you do? eat it? Yikes

3. oh man...WTF?......it is either NBL or 3...and if your nailing three wolves a year your a champion.....they are not easy IMHO

When confronted with enforcement in any situation, making a left against the no left sign or forgetting to keep the dick of a buck...your best bet is to plead ignorance and ask for a warning...in this situation it sounds like you felt and where attempting to follow what many would consider the common rules....'antlers must accompany the species license'

like i said this ticket sucks....

Question...for a curious mind how much was the tickets fine?

J_T
10-07-2019, 06:42 AM
Rules are rules but stupid is stupid. I know of no hunter who has passed on a big buck because he couldn't see a penis or testicles. This is largely why they had seasons for antlered and anterless rather than bucks and does and it is why no one was ever charged for shooting an antlered doe. If the animal is boned out and the meat packed in bags, you leave the evidence of sex attached to what exactly? Does a small piece of meat suffice? If the evidence of sex is attached to one piece of meat, is the rest of the meat still legal? Does this mean an animal cannot be dismembered? Are we expected to pack an elk out in one piece? Overzealous interpretation of regulations will only breed contempt for the regulations and enforcement personell. GD

They ticket everything they can. Have to pay wages for the day.
I have met some good CO's and some not so good.

Quick story. Should answer both questions and statements. A number of years ago, a young hunter we were with arrowed a bull elk, in an 'any elk' season. We quartered it and severed the head. 5 packs. Got it back to camp, put the 4 quarters in the cooler and set the head with antlers just outside the door to the cooler. The young lad was in taking care of the meat, and removing things like dirt, leaves, bits of hair. CO came along and issued a ticket for not leaving the head attached. This goes to the second comment above. Sometimes you meet decent CO's, sometimes you don't.

mcmullmar
10-07-2019, 07:17 AM
As everyone already said, the law is the law. If possible I leave head attached tail attached and proof of sex attached. Can't remove until it is ready for butchering.

RyoTHC
10-07-2019, 07:28 AM
As everyone already said, the law is the law. If possible I leave head attached tail attached and proof of sex attached. Can't remove until it is ready for butchering.

so what you’re saying is you drag every animal out whole? Must be nice to only hunt from the road,

I understand the tail for deer, the patch of fur and even the penis/teet. But what in the hell are you supposed to “leave the head attached to” it you’re boning our your meat for a long pack out !?

Canada continually has the dumbest and most useless laws that are clearly used just to generate revenue but the sheeple are OK with that, so it’ll continue.

And you you wonder why the general public hates COs and RCMP? Hmmm