PDA

View Full Version : Any buck

Cody66
10-01-2019, 08:25 PM
Hey everyone from hunting BC, I am new to hunting this year I recently passed my CORE test a few weeks ago and am ready to hunt. I have a trip planned in October to try and get a buck hunting in region 3 as well as 5 up near 70 mile house, it is not my first time going to this region as I have been spending time in the summer and winter here for my whole life (18 years) I have also hunted this region a few times when I was able to hunt as a youth, never got a buck but did have a possible chance but he got out of there fairly quickly... but this was years ago, So back to the point of this post I know there are deer there have had people sending us pics of some nice bucks from throughout September, all I'm wondering is if anyone has any tips or anything to help get a buck that would be great, not looking for any secrets by any means... if not even just share some good stories. Thanks

eatram
10-01-2019, 08:30 PM
Walk slow. Be hunting before first light and don't quit until it's too dark to see. October will give you your best oppertunity in the first and last hour of daylight. Don't be lazy, get up early. Walk quietly; it's not about covering lots of ground. Good luck

kosser
10-01-2019, 08:42 PM
good luck buds

tinhorse
10-01-2019, 09:27 PM
Find some fresh sign where good feed is in some newish blocks and like said get there for first light and sit tight and glass. During the mid day I cover lots of ground and have taken a few mid day. Good luck

Numenor604
10-01-2019, 09:43 PM
Go where others arent. Keep the wind in your face. Walk slow.

dodge
10-01-2019, 10:22 PM
Like the others have said, walk slow. Equally important is to frequently stop and scan the area with your binos.

HarryToolips
10-01-2019, 11:45 PM
All good points above....additionally, good times to hunt is a bit before a storm, or right after a rainfall can be an awesome time to nail something...

Cody66
10-02-2019, 07:09 AM
Thanks everyone for the help, definitely will post updates regardless if we get anything or not

Wild one
10-02-2019, 07:18 AM
Don’t be afraid to hunt areas in the bush that only provide short range visibility. Deer are in the bush 24/7 but they often limit their time feeding in open areas like cut blocks, meadows, and power lines expecially when they can be seen from a road

Some advice I can give any new hunter it’s not about how much ground you cover it’s about maximizing your time where the animals want to be.

Wild one
10-02-2019, 07:22 AM
When I am talking about where animals want to be don’t think KM think more like meters when picking your spot

markt308
10-02-2019, 07:49 AM
I’ll just add; make sure to buy a muley tag and a whitetail tag if you’re hunting around 70 Mile.

Also, if hiking isn’t working out for you, consider finding a spot with a bit of visibility and sitting still. As mentioned above, you’ll likely have the most luck at “prime time”, which is sort of the first and last couple hours of shootable light. Good luck

jshansen
10-02-2019, 10:10 AM
Look for does, find a lot of them, their feeding zones, where they're probably bedding, they stay of a feed/bed routine even in the rut. Head to those spots in nov, and find em again they'll have bucks coming in like a magnet. Also enjoy the adventure, embrace the bc weather. I have the most fun taking a step a minute though big old growth timber in the pouring rain and howling winds because I feel there's a buck around every corner and all your senses are alert and in tune, that's hunting. Hunt in rain and storms.

Cody66
10-02-2019, 12:45 PM
I got a white tail and a muley tag so hopefully Ill bump into something, Thanks again everyone for the advice

paulo
10-05-2019, 12:04 PM
I might just ad if it is windy and I mean windy its a great time to be out. Wind will take care of your scent and noise. Yes they are a bit spooky but easier to see moving around. I have had great times on windy days. Of course be aware of your surroundings for deadfalls and snags coming down. No long shots either. Best of luck

TheTwelve
10-05-2019, 06:56 PM
I was just up in region 3 and where I was I saw probably 80-100 deer in a few hours.. from what i could tell they were mostly does, I only saw one spike and a giant 2 point. The only problem was that there is so much private land where I was and signs that said “please don’t drive on the grass lands”.. am I able to hunt on the grasslands if I am hiking? I know I have bag one on the FSR between the private property and the grasslands. It’s just going to be nice if I can post up on the grasslands to increase my chances on a buck.

if anyone knows if it’s ok can you please send me a message, thanks

Cody66
10-09-2019, 12:50 PM
only another day until we leave for the hunt, I will let everyone know how it goes

lakelander
10-09-2019, 12:56 PM
I was just up in region 3 and where I was I saw probably 80-100 deer in a few hours.. from what i could tell they were mostly does, I only saw one spike and a giant 2 point. The only problem was that there is so much private land where I was and signs that said “please don’t drive on the grass lands”.. am I able to hunt on the grasslands if I am hiking? I know I have bag one on the FSR between the private property and the grasslands. It’s just going to be nice if I can post up on the grasslands to increase my chances on a buck.

You can hunt on foot in grasslands. They don't want people driving around as the eco-systems there can be sensitive. I'm guessing you are around Douglas Lake?

RyoTHC
10-09-2019, 01:12 PM

ihunter with private property subscription is your friend. That area is patrolled by security guards and trespassing fines are frequently handed out. So just be aware of your surroundings and don’t drive on the sensitive ecosystem and you should be fine. The aforementioned app has helped me find some GREAT places mostly surrounded by private land near Roche lake and I see legal animals every single time I hike in and it’s only 2.5KM

Redthies
10-09-2019, 03:18 PM
only another day until we leave for the hunt, I will let everyone know how it goes

Good luck out there Cody!

cptnoblivious
10-09-2019, 04:02 PM
Don't confine yourself to early mornings and evenings. So many times I'm out and see deer at times when they're not "supposed" to be out.

triggerhappy
10-09-2019, 04:15 PM
Don't confine yourself to early mornings and evenings. So many times I'm out and see deer at times when they're not "supposed" to be out.
This right here. Everyone always says first and last light, but I have shot the majority of my animals mid day.

Wild one
10-09-2019, 05:11 PM
This right here. Everyone always says first and last light, but I have shot the majority of my animals mid day.

There seems to be a magic time between 10:00 and 2:00 that deer beg me to shoot them lol

Muliechaser
10-09-2019, 05:17 PM

Dont tell everybody the secret! Haha
I too as of late have had more success mid day than any other time of day . Dont get me wrong , mornings and evenings can be very productive at times. Heck . Just hunt all day!

Mc

wideopenthrottle
10-09-2019, 05:19 PM
as others have mentioned....walk slow and do a stop and full look around....I always count paces (every second step) while walking and set a limit on how many I take before I must stop/look around....my max is 30 even if trying to cover ground on a road I stop and look after 30 paces... in prime areas I routinely get down to less than 5 paces and even as low as every step...also your breathing/heart rate will help tell you when you are going too fast...not to mention if you are sweating you are going too fast or wearing too many clothes

blackbart
10-09-2019, 05:31 PM
Wait for a clear shot at the chest. Take your time to make sure you have a good shot. Practice field shooting, benches don't happen to be in the field. Have fun. Slow is not slow enough. Sit till your bored and then sit some more. Enjoy the solitude and lack of schedule. And for **** sakes don't be playing on your phone while hunting - I'll shoot it if I see you doing that.....

cptnoblivious
10-09-2019, 07:26 PM
There seems to be a magic time between 10:00 and 2:00 that deer beg me to shoot them lol

It's about 50 / 50 for me.

One memorable hunt years ago, my dad and I were on our way into town for lunch, scouting for a location to setup. As we're going thorough a new clear cut I look in the rear view and whoops, there's a nice buck behind a burn pile.

Lunch was delayed a fair bit ;)

Cody66
10-15-2019, 09:24 PM
Well all in all I had a good weekend, Didn't end up coming home with anything, we covered quite a lot of ground but it just seems the deer weren't there, but still enjoyed being out there

Jordan f.
10-15-2019, 09:34 PM

We've shot deer right at legal light, we've shot deer after lunch/nap.. when ever you can be out, is the best time to be out!

Jordan f.
10-15-2019, 09:36 PM
Well all in all I had a good weekend, Didn't end up coming home with anything, we covered quite a lot of ground but it just seems the deer weren't there, but still enjoyed being out there

That's what it's all about. Keep at it, you'll harvest an animal. And when you finally do, it'll be that much more satisfying!

Wild one
10-16-2019, 04:00 AM

glad you had a good time

But something to think of next time you go hunting it’s not about covering ground it’s about spending time where the deer want to be. Too many hunters keep walking past good locations because they did not see the animal they are looking for. Pay attention to sign and don’t walk away from areas with good sign

covering ground is for scouting

lakelander
10-16-2019, 08:25 AM
One year I was hunting first light and didn't see anything. So I came back to my tent for a nap. Woke up around 10 and went for a dump. Took my shotgun with 000 buck for bear protection. You guessed it, a buck wanders in not 30 yards from me squatting. Bang! buck down. You never know when they show up.

Bubbacanuck
10-16-2019, 09:11 AM
Binos are your most important tool (besides rifle/bow). Your binos should be up against your face more than they aren't. Walk slow

barongan
10-16-2019, 09:20 AM
walk slow and good luckhttp://juragan.club/assets/13/o.png

Cody66
10-17-2019, 08:14 AM
Hopefully going to get out another time in October to try and get my first buck as I cant in November... Stupid wisdom teeth.

Cody66
10-23-2019, 12:59 PM
Well leaving again tomorrow night for the last kick at the can for October, Hopefully run into some deer and fill a moose draw that my cousin has, One things for sure if we get a moose the old dodge dakota is sure gonna have a workout on the way home lol

RyoTHC
10-23-2019, 01:03 PM

every single one of my deer besides this years white tail and one of last years, have all been between 10-2!!! And I’ve filled all my tags each year, I completely skip morning and hunt 10-dark usually and I am always successful.

darn, no wood to knock on *chuckles*

edit, I will mention every time I have hunted first light, I’m always passing other hunters or have people around, mid day and beyond and most places are vacant ! I’m glad all the boomers only think you can harvest deer before 10am ;) numerous times I’ve been going in at 10 passing people leaving empty handed only to go tag my deer soon after where they just were ^^

Wild one
10-23-2019, 01:23 PM
every single one of my deer besides this years white tail and one of last years, have all been between 10-2!!! And I’ve filled all my tags each year, I completely skip morning and hunt 10-dark usually and I am always successful.

darn, no wood to knock on *chuckles*

edit, I will mention every time I have hunted first light, I’m always passing other hunters or have people around, mid day and beyond and most places are vacant ! I’m glad all the boomers only think you can harvest deer before 10am ;) numerous times I’ve been going in at 10 passing people leaving empty handed only to go tag my deer soon after where they just were ^^

I have taken a lot of WT, MD and bears mid day probably well over 50%. Moose it’s first light and blacktail it’s last light that have treated me best

In my early twenties I interrupted a lot of mid day naps and lunches bringing deer back to camp before friends and family caught on

mr604
10-25-2019, 07:17 AM

I second that.....

Hugh Mann
10-25-2019, 09:20 PM
Get out of your vehicle and walk.
Keep the wind in your face.
Never wash your camo with scented detergent.
Accuracy is more important than power.
And most importantly. Anywhere, anytime.

Seriously, most people are saying early morning, all but two of my nine (three years of hunting) big game animals have been after 10am. The same applies to the others I hunt with regularly.