PDA

View Full Version : 7-10 Moose

evcity
09-30-2019, 09:04 PM
Hi all,

Long time lurker here, I've learned a lot by reading what other posters have to say and credit the forum with helping me learn to hunt.

My buddy and I drew for moose in 7-10 this year. I'm familiar with the management unit, did some scouting in late summer and since opening day we have been hitting it hard on the weekends and evenings. We're hunting on foot and trying to stay off the roads. We've alternated between slow walks through spots with lots of sign, and calling over ponds. We've already put in quite a bit of time, have seen lots of cool wildlife, but have yet to see a moose. The sign says the animals are there.

Can anyone familiar with the area recommend some strategies? Appreciate any advice you guys can give us.

tinhorse
09-30-2019, 09:26 PM
There are a few swamps along the Western boarder of the unit close to the chilanko river. Used to be very good......now?. Now is the time to call! Set up in the dark and start calling every half hour . Sit tight for a bit, few hours to half day. Especially if you know they are around with fresh sign. If you don't know moose are in the area yet, I suggest drive and look for fresh tracks. I like the 2 to 5 year old blocks with good food sources for the cows. Bulls will be close. Good luck. Keep putting in the time and you'll connect.

evcity
10-01-2019, 10:39 AM
There are a few swamps along the Western boarder of the unit close to the chilanko river. Used to be very good......now?. Now is the time to call! Set up in the dark and start calling every half hour . Sit tight for a bit, few hours to half day. Especially if you know they are around with fresh sign. If you don't know moose are in the area yet, I suggest drive and look for fresh tracks. I like the 2 to 5 year old blocks with good food sources for the cows. Bulls will be close. Good luck. Keep putting in the time and you'll connect.

Thanks tinhorse, we'll refocus on calling and check out those swamps.

DBM
10-01-2019, 02:35 PM
They're starting to move around quite a bit. Find some fresh sign and get out, walk real slow and listen. I saw 5 moose this morning and heard 2 others in an area that's usually pretty quiet. You should do well with calling, I actually watched a cow call a bull in this morning from across a burn.