PDA

View Full Version : Sitka, Kuiu or First Lite?

LoonLake96
09-26-2019, 05:35 PM
Hey everyone,

Shopping for clothing right now. Im torn between the three top brands and can't decide. Looking for any Pros and Cons from any of you with experience on these.

Looking for Light weight and Waterproof. Insulation is not my deciding factor since I have a decent layering system already.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Cheers,

M

Wentrot
09-26-2019, 05:40 PM
Between Sitka and first lite I prefer my first lite gear. I own a good bit of each. Can’t comment on kuiu as I haven’t used anything from them.

KBC
09-26-2019, 05:48 PM
So you are looking for outer wear? I have a FL seak rain jacket that I really like. Haven’t tried the others.

decker9
09-26-2019, 05:57 PM
I don’t think a guy can go wrong with any of the ones you’ve listed. Iv had good luck with Sitka’s stuff, haven’t used any other. The dew point jacket and the cloudburst pants are a good combo I find. Durability on the bottoms and light weight up top.

firebird
09-26-2019, 05:58 PM
I’d say buy what fits you best. Might mean trying all 3 brands.

Ive had FL and Kuiu and now just 95% Sitka cause I just like the fit, comfortable, great warranty BUT sometimes tougher to find in Canada in stock. And they seem to be getting away from solid colours

FIrst lite right now I think you’ll be paying USD and duty on top etc. Steven Rinella now owns them

Kuiu usually always has good stock, ships quick, and online Canada site price includes the tax and duty. A lot of products available in solid colours

Jordan f.
09-26-2019, 06:16 PM
I prefer First Lite over Kuiu (never owned any Sitka).

That said, I won't be spending that much money on their base layers (wool baselayers from Mark's or somewhere are way cheaper).

Throwaway
09-26-2019, 07:21 PM
Own the SEAK jacket and pants. Wouldn’t say lightweight but waterproof, BOMBPROOF and breathable. Actually breathable. I’ve owned cars that cost less than the entire kit but I’m happy with the purchase.

silveragent
09-26-2019, 08:28 PM
I have lots of FS. I like the outer rainshell and the mid layers are ok. Like the other poster said, it isn't necessary to get a base layer that is anything. Not even camo, really.

r106
09-26-2019, 09:04 PM
Dont be afraid to mix and match. Love my Sitka timberline pants, looking at getting FL puffy jacket.

hawk-i
09-27-2019, 03:51 AM
Was looking at kuiu the other day...until I seen the tag.made in CHINA....no thanks.

Seth
09-27-2019, 05:53 AM
Speaking rain gear only.... Between myself and my hunting partners we own a good mixture of the three brands. Not a single person has had luck staying dry in Sitka. Maybe just bad luck but I’m just speaking from our experiences. I currently use the Kuiu Yukon jacket and Chugach pant and have remained dry even in island rain. I also have the FL Storm lite jacket and that has been great as well although it’s just the light weight shell. None of it is cheap so be prepared to buy once, cry once as the saying goes.

A quick Kuiu warranty story. I bought the Yukon jacket 6 years ago and after 4 years the main zipper crapped out 9 days before I was going on a mule deer trip. I called Kuiu, explained the situation and they shipped a brand new jacket to me immediately with the understanding that I’d ship my warranty jacket back using there prepaid shipping label ASAP. I received the new jacket in time to take on my trip and all was good. I thought that was good of them.

Good luck.

hawk-i
09-27-2019, 06:46 AM
Another option is Taiga for wet weather gear...made in Vancouver. No Camo but they do offer a variety of colours. Designed for extreme wet weather

09-27-2019, 07:30 AM
Another option is Taiga for wet weather gear...made in Vancouver. No Camo but they do offer a variety of colours. Designed for extreme wet weather

my buddy still has a Taiga jacket and pant he bought when we were 18..... 27 years ago.... he is a moderate user, not a true battle tester but wow.... 27 years...
I just bough Kuiu Yukon. The online size chart and order system was great and it landed fast.. 5 days fast. we also bought my wife Sitka Downpour. I could argue each one back and forth as far as material and layout... but I have no in use experience yet.

mastercaster
09-27-2019, 07:42 AM
Speaking rain gear only.... Between myself and my hunting partners we own a good mixture of the three brands. Not a single person has had luck staying dry in Sitka. Maybe just bad luck but I’m just speaking from our experiences.

Good luck.

Does this statement refer to Sitka's Downpour pants and jacket or one of their other models that are rain resistant? I hope not because I just purchased the Downpour set. Got what I consider a great price off ebay.

bearvalley
09-27-2019, 07:54 AM
Blue jeans & wool......wildlife is scared shitless when camouflaged plastic is seen sneaking thru the brush.
You can always dry out in the evening with a hot rum in your hand.

Wentrot
09-27-2019, 07:56 AM
Blue jeans & wool......wildlife is scared shitless when camouflaged plastic is seen sneaking thru the brush.
You can always dry out in the evening with a hot rum in your hand.

Nothing worse than hiking in rough terrain in friggin blue jeans. Been there done that lol

Aaron600
09-27-2019, 08:00 AM
I've owned lot's of Sitka, Kuiu and FL. Sitka was the only rain jacket that leaked as well.

Squamch
09-27-2019, 08:17 AM
I really like first light wool pants and shirts. Warm when it's cold, cool enough when it's warm, and dry pretty quickly.
Rain gear- pioneer rubber. I have a badlands exo jacket, which is nicely waterproof....but also tore last week pushing through alders.

The Hermit
09-27-2019, 08:41 AM
I've had both FL and Kuiu rain gear. FL is da bomb.

Brian011
09-27-2019, 09:02 AM
I’ve only ever used Sitka gear and I’ve been happy with it. Their warranty is great too, I had the stitching coming apart on my two old worn out pairs of 90% pants and they sent me a brand new pair or timberlines and mountain pants.

todbartell
09-27-2019, 09:07 AM
I have a lot of Sitka and First Lite. I wear both, prefer FL Merino for most situations

dapesche
09-27-2019, 12:28 PM
I am an active hunter. Up the mtn, down the mtn.

My opinion:
- First Lite is nice for base layer but I much prefer my Sitka Core Lightweight hoody for early season.
- I just sweat way too much in the First lite wick and wilkin.
- Last year I used the wilkin long sleeve as a standalone layer and I sweater a lot. I was super comfortable and heat was regulated quite well but I sweated hard.
- This past archery season I was way more comfortable.
- I had a kuiu guide jacket but it was too warm and I sold it.
- this year I have a kuiu kutana and it has been amazing. I'll wear my wick short sleeve or my wilkin long sleeve underneath depending on temp
- in short, I really don't need my first lite wilkin. I like putting my wick short sleeve over my Sitka Core L/W hoodie when it's a bit cool in the morning
- for pants. Prana zions are great when it is hot and dry. After some abuse the DWR wears off and if it is wet the pants soak through right away.
- bought some timberline pants and there wet performance isn't great either but I really like them!
- have a pair of kuiu talus hybrid pants and they have been awesome in wet undergrowth or slight drizzle. Can almost go without the timberlines.

as you can see, I'm fortunate to have the cash to mess with my system. It's absolutely ridiculous the cost of this stuff but I have been so comfortable is some pretty shit weather this year.

If you have any question, PM me.

Hope that helps.

bcsteve
09-27-2019, 12:46 PM
Was looking at kuiu the other day...until I seen the tag.made in CHINA....no thanks.
Guess where the other two are made?

hawk-i
09-27-2019, 02:35 PM
Guess where the other two are made?

For the price they would be No Thanks as well if the label says "Made in China"....I've got Taiga that I bought more than 15 years ago (triple layer Gore-tex). 25-30 mm rain a day in the fall is common during hunting season. I hunt dawn to dusk and haven't got wet yet.
Made right here in BC...:)
Kuiu was originally an American made product from what I understand, to bad they went overseas with production....:(
I would much sooner support a Canadian company that produces its product locally and prices in Canadian dollars if at all possible! :)
YMMV

Please vote Trudeau out next month!

300rum700
09-27-2019, 02:39 PM
Kuiu was originally sewn in Vancouver ^^^

grantk
09-27-2019, 07:36 PM
For the price they would be No Thanks as well if the label says "Made in China"....I've got Taiga that I bought more than 15 years ago (triple layer Gore-tex). 25-30 mm rain a day in the fall is common during hunting season. I hunt dawn to dusk and haven't got wet yet.
Kuiu was originally an American made product from what I understand, to bad they went overseas with production....:(
I would much sooner support a Canadian company that produces its product locally and prices in Canadian dollars if at all possible! :)
YMMV

Please vote Trudeau out next month!

+1. For most situations, comparable outerwear from a reputable outdoor clothing company will do just fine. Don't kid yourself, there are no wonder materials that the hunting-specific companies are using... they're adopting DWR & waterproof tech from the big-guys and getting the fabrics printed in camo. If a better technology comes along, you can bet it will make it's way to the mainstream brands first... the market is just way larger.

I think it's pretty tough to beat the value of Taiga's Torrent jacket, unless you're shopping sales. I picked up a nice light-weight mountain hardware goretex jacket in olive green for $125 with the BCWF discount code at Atmosphere this summer. Like the FL Guide pants? Check out Prana Stretch Zion's for $90 CAD shipped. Want something lighter, check out Columbia Silver Ridge Stretch pants for $70.

RugDoctor
09-27-2019, 08:47 PM
I’m starting to agree with the “camo is a scam” crowd. There are tons of hiking clothing companies out there that make garments that have taken people to the top of Everest that aren’t patchy green, or digital-cam that cost less and perform better. Moreover, I’ve taken animals wearing jeans and plaid.....I like to look the part as much or more than the next guy...but screw the mark up.....when I’m in the woods, I hope I’m not around anyone who will judge me for what I’m wearing anyway. Buy what keeps you comfortable regardless the brand or pattern.

I say this now, but when I leave the house tomorrow morning, I’ll probably have my very best mossy oak pattern on.

Jordan f.
09-27-2019, 09:13 PM
Nothing wrong with supporting companies that vocally and financially support hunting in North America!

Arctic Lake
09-27-2019, 09:45 PM
How are the Taiga/Gotex clothing products now ? I also have a very old Taiga Gortex long length jacket that does not keep the rain out now. The Gortex membrane is all cracked wher it is bonded to the jacket fabric.

[QUOTE=hawk-i;2119596]For the price they would be No Thanks as well if the label says "Made in China"....I've got Taiga that I bought more than 15 years ago (triple layer Gore-tex). 25-30 mm rain a day in the fall is common during hunting season. I hunt dawn to dusk and haven't got wet yet.

DStewart
09-27-2019, 09:50 PM
I’ve had good luck with my First Lite gear. If you have any questions about specific pieces, send me a PM. I have been able to try or use the majority of their stuff. Merino vs synthetic is a very personal decision. I’m a big merino fan. After a week hunt, I am not repulsed by my own smell. Huge fan of their down pieces, and as mentioned the rain gear. The guys I hunted with last trip are selling their other brands and switching over to FL.

I have not personally run into any issues with getting gear across the border, but I also travel to the states somewhat frequently so can bring some back with me. For me after duty and taxes it is a more affordable option to Sitka.

grantk
09-27-2019, 09:57 PM
I'm not saying don't buy from them, I just personally have a hard time justifying the extra cost for something that is still made in a factory in Asia for nothing, and other than appearance, I don't think performs any better than many cheaper alternatives. And I think there's a lot of groups advocating for hunting in BC and North America that can put my money to better use than a clothing company. That's just my take, and having said that, I'll be heading out in camo outer layers and a "boutique" tent and backpack made in the USA ;)

Jordan f.
09-27-2019, 10:21 PM
I also say "buy from hunting companies"... But half my FL gear was bought used for a better price.. so I've got no high horse to sit on Lol

Andrewh
09-29-2019, 09:52 AM
I've got Taiga that I bought more than 15 years ago (triple layer Gore-tex). 25-30 mm rain a day in the fall is common during hunting season. I hunt dawn to dusk and haven't got wet yet.

LOL, big deal if it is sewn in Canada... fabric is from China.

todbartell
09-29-2019, 10:49 AM
I’m a big merino fan. After a week hunt, I am not repulsed by my own smell. Huge fan of their down pieces, and as mentioned the rain gear. The guys I hunted with last trip are selling their other brands and switching over to FL.

Love the merino! I wash it once a year maybe, and always stick it in my wife's face and make her sniff it. Couldn't get away doing that with a synthetic Sitka base layer

The Hermit
09-29-2019, 11:51 AM
The OP was asking about waterproof clothing. FL is tougher and a little heavier than the original Kuiu rain gear.. So far the FL rain gear is the best I've tried including Kuiu (which is good too but I got a hole in the ass sliding down a snow bank)

When it comes to merino stuff I have a lot of FL base and mid layers (former dealer before they went direct) and it works great. But I have to admit I love the Kuiu base because it is longer on the body. I haven't tried their new fancy high tech merino but I imagine it would be awesome and will probably be my next purchase in about ten years when I've worn out all the FL stuff. :-)

bearvalley
09-30-2019, 08:51 AM
All joking about blue jeans and wool aside....KUIU makes a decent product.
I prefer their solid colours....each to their own on that but camo patterns don’t work in every hunting situation... I’ve seen game get nerved up looking at a camouflaged Ninja a lot quicker than when approached by a darker, solid coloured object.
Thats my opinion for what it’s worth....then being able to access KUIU gear with 50% or more slashed off the price might make me a bit biased.

Squamch
09-30-2019, 04:01 PM
The OP was asking about waterproof clothing. FL is tougher and a little heavier than the original Kuiu rain gear.. So far the FL rain gear is the best I've tried including Kuiu (which is good too but I got a hole in the ass sliding down a snow bank)

When it comes to merino stuff I have a lot of FL base and mid layers (former dealer before they went direct) and it works great. But I have to admit I love the Kuiu base because it is longer on the body. I haven't tried their new fancy high tech merino but I imagine it would be awesome and will probably be my next purchase in about ten years when I've worn out all the FL stuff. :-)

Longer on the body? Like a 6'2" guy can actually tuck it in and have it stay tucked? That would be pretty neat.

Throwaway
09-30-2019, 05:07 PM
I’m 6’1” with a 28/30, on a good day, inseam. None of their stuff stayed tucked on me.

Steelpulse
10-01-2019, 12:56 PM
I use all of them. Thing for me is I’ll only buy them when on sale or deals, just never full price.
Can find some great stuff on here in the buy and sell pages
have to just buy when the deal is there during or in off season. All of it is high quality just choose what colors and patterns you like haha