PDA

View Full Version : Elk Sighting Chilliwack

Ride Red
09-24-2019, 07:59 AM
Just received a call a few minutes ago about 2 bull elk at Annis and the freeway in Chilliwack.

Arctic Lake
09-24-2019, 08:02 AM
Just received a call a few minutes ago about 2 bull elk at Annis and the freeway in Chilliwack.
Hopefully someone will get pictures !
Arctic Lake

09-24-2019, 08:29 AM
Hopefully they get to cover soon. Or the local special group may have yet another private land shooting scandal in headlines.

Ive Seen them a number of times off Chilliwack lake rd a few years ago.

dmaxtech
09-24-2019, 09:03 AM
There was another one spotted near there in Rosedale 2 weeks ago. Possibly the same one. There have been a few around for the last 4-5 years sporadically. They are likely satellite bulls from the West Harrison area.

dadof6
09-24-2019, 09:39 AM
my brother in law sent me a picture of a cow elk off annis rd. from 2 days ago.

dmaxtech
09-24-2019, 09:43 AM
my brother in law sent me a picture of a cow elk off annis rd. from 2 days ago.

Can you post it? That would be cool to see. Have a buddy who's called in a Bull elk up in the community forest trails above Annis last year. Didn't know there was a cow around too. That would be cool to have a Chilliwack herd.

caddisguy
09-24-2019, 10:26 AM
Call me crazy but I swear I heard elk bugling just outside of Hope the other day. It sounded pretty faint. I wondered how far the sound would travel? It seemed like the sound was coming from miles away. I started to question my sanity.

Ron.C
09-24-2019, 10:31 AM
Call me crazy but I swear I heard elk bugling just outside of Hope the other day. It sounded pretty faint. I wondered how far the sound would travel? It seemed like the sound was coming from miles away.

Some bugles can be very misleading. I watched a Rosie bull bugleing last fall during my LEH. He was in a small cutblock below me at about 200 yards facing away from me calling up into the timber. I could clearly distinguish the bugles, but if I hadnt had him in view I would have assumed he was much farther away then he was.

Also observed a couple RM elk that bugled very quite compared to the traditional screaming bull. Once again, if they were not in view, one would have thought they were much further away.

09-24-2019, 10:40 AM
Call me crazy but I swear I heard elk bugling just outside of Hope the other day. It sounded pretty faint. I wondered how far the sound would travel? It seemed like the sound was coming from miles away.

Could have been me practicing.......:lol:

caddisguy
09-24-2019, 11:00 AM
Could have been me practicing.......:lol:

LOL maybe. I thought about maybe a strange tree creak, but it sounded way too far away.

wideopenthrottle
09-24-2019, 11:16 AM
were they roosy or RM elk spotted?

Fella
09-24-2019, 11:24 AM
Some bugles can be very misleading. I watched a Rosie bull bugleing last fall during my LEH. He was in a small cutblock below me at about 200 yards facing away from me calling up into the timber. I could clearly distinguish the bugles, but if I hadnt had him in view I would have assumed he was much farther away then he was.

Also observed a couple RM elk that bugled very quite compared to the traditional screaming bull. Once again, if they were not in view, one would have thought they were much further away.

Last year I followed a bull into the timber by the Nitinat, he was maybe 20-30 yards ahead of me in some thick stuff. He bugled but it sounded as if he was already 300 yards up the side of the mountain

Iron Glove
09-24-2019, 12:11 PM
I'm no good at posting pics or links but if you go to the Fraser Valley Road Reports Facebook Site there'e a picture of the Elk.

Ride Red
09-24-2019, 12:28 PM
There was another one spotted near there in Rosedale 2 weeks ago. Possibly the same one. There have been a few around for the last 4-5 years sporadically. They are likely satellite bulls from the West Harrison area.

There’s also a large heard that I’ve seen many times in Acme Washington, which is straight south of Sumas. Elk travel many miles in a day, so they could be from there too.

Ride Red
09-24-2019, 12:30 PM
I'm no good at posting pics or links but if you go to the Fraser Valley Road Reports Facebook Site there'e a picture of the Elk.

You need to sign up to view.

KBC
09-24-2019, 04:08 PM
I’ve heard they’ve been seen on trail cameras in Mission

r106
09-24-2019, 04:13 PM
Seen the pic on facebook definitely an elk

r106
09-24-2019, 04:14 PM
Lol thats were i heard about it and seen the pic

wideopenthrottle
09-24-2019, 04:14 PM
Seen the pic on facebook definitely an elk

can you upload it to the gallery here?

r106
09-24-2019, 04:18 PM
can you upload it to the gallery here?
Going try. Never had any luck at it and my photobucket is screwed up

r106
09-24-2019, 04:24 PM
I got it uploaded to the gallery but cant figure out how to link it to this thread

wideopenthrottle
09-24-2019, 04:56 PM
I got it uploaded to the gallery but cant figure out how to link it to this thread
that is as far as I can get too...heheheh ...ill look at it in the gallery

dmaxtech
09-24-2019, 10:44 PM
My buddies wife took this this evening across the highway from my place.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=35864&cat=500 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=35864&cat=500)

Ron.C
09-25-2019, 06:03 AM
My buddies wife took this this evening across the highway from my place.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=35864&cat=500 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=35864&cat=500)

Nice! Sure looks like allot of Rosie bulls I see here on tbe Island. Big body, smallish framed rack

digger dogger
09-28-2019, 08:13 AM
12-ish yrs ago, 13 elk were in the chwk valley, 12 cows, 1 bull.
All but three were killed, the bull was shot also.
The last cow to be seen was hit at annis Rd & #1, I believe 6-7 yrs ago.

Seems the elk like to travel north, south at annis Rd.

I don't think the elk like to hang around the vfraser valley, the river, the Hwy, and the border.
I'm thinking they head deeper south to Washington.

Ride Red
09-28-2019, 08:21 AM
12-ish yrs ago, 13 elk were in the chwk valley, 12 cows, 1 bull.
All but three were killed, the bull was shot also.
The last cow to be seen was hit at annis Rd & #1, I believe 6-7 yrs ago.

Seems the elk like to travel north, south at annis Rd.

I don't think the elk like to hang around the vfraser valley, the river, the Hwy, and the border.
I'm thinking they head deeper south to Washington.

Acme Washington, south of Sumas, has a large herd.

ROY-alty33
09-28-2019, 01:23 PM
Odd that Elk Mountain is almost directly south of Annis......Wonder how it got its name?

Husky7mm
09-28-2019, 09:26 PM
Call me crazy but I swear I heard elk bugling just outside of Hope the other day. It sounded pretty faint. I wondered how far the sound would travel? It seemed like the sound was coming from miles away. I started to question my sanity.
Your not crazy. People have heard elk bugling in the back of the Chilliwack river valley for yrs. Also in the back of the sowakwa. Spelling???? Not far from hope. I left the valley in 2005 and it was already mentioned.