PDA

View Full Version : Taking heads from carrion

coastcrickets
09-23-2019, 02:07 PM
Hi everyone,

Recently, as I was hunting for black bear I came across a dead cougar from unknown causes. I have no interest in shooting cougars but have always loved bleached skulls of animals, especially predators.

I took the head from the carcass and plan on cleaning and displaying it in my home. However, I had a conversation with a fellow hunter and realized that taking the head may not be entirely kosher. I couldn't find a section in the regs on this, nor did a google search result in much info.

Did I break any rules? I feel that it is logically no different than shed hunting but others disagree with me.

Thanks,

dakoda62
09-23-2019, 02:10 PM
Grey area for sure, phone the Ministry.

wideopenthrottle
09-23-2019, 02:15 PM
been there, done that with a 4x4 MD buck (followed ravens to a dead buck near loon lake with his eyeball shot out and full of pus....cut the head off then left it in the end) and a 4x5 elk head (took the ivory teeth and left the antlered head right where we found it-left it in a tree straight across from where the sulfur joins the bull)

buckshot
09-23-2019, 02:33 PM
Hi everyone,

Recently, as I was hunting for black bear I came across a dead cougar from unknown causes. I have no interest in shooting cougars but have always loved bleached skulls of animals, especially predators.

I took the head from the carcass and plan on cleaning and displaying it in my home. However, I had a conversation with a fellow hunter and realized that taking the head may not be entirely kosher. I couldn't find a section in the regs on this, nor did a google search result in much info.

Did I break any rules? I feel that it is logically no different than shed hunting but others disagree with me.

Thanks,
Your answer is in the Wildlife Act of BC section 33.

coastcrickets
09-23-2019, 02:44 PM
Possession of wildlife
33 (1)A person commits an offence if the person has live wildlife in his or her personal possession except as authorized under a licence or permit or as provided by regulation.

(2)A person commits an offence if the person has dead wildlife or a part of any wildlife in his or her possession except as authorized under a licence or permit or as provided by regulation.

(3)Subsections (1) and (2) do not apply to a person who possesses wildlife under a licence or permit under the Animal Health Act (http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/14016).

It seems like I committed an offense. However, would this mean shed hunting is technically an offense?
To make amends I suppose I'll go buy a cougar tag and destroy it. At least my trophy will go to conservation in some way.
Thanks for the feedback.

LBM
09-23-2019, 02:54 PM
If your un sure on how it died you may want to be careful as well, a bio died in the states a few years back from doing a necropsy on a found dead cougar.
Hit by a car, shot and left is one thing but if just died on its own you should be careful and may want to call it in.

buckshot
09-23-2019, 03:29 PM
Coastcricket, it's ok to pick-up the skull! All you need to do is apply for a permit to keep it! This law is to protect bighorn sheeps and all other trophies from being "found".

quadrakid
09-23-2019, 04:15 PM
if you go buy a cougar tag and cut it you will be breaking another law.Note to self. Be careful when using public forums.

tinhorse
09-23-2019, 04:48 PM
As said apply for a permit at the co office and own it leaglly. Also always take pictures of your find before taking it apart. You need that permit before you take the head. Shed antlers are in a different category and don't require a permit in BC

45freezer
09-23-2019, 04:53 PM
To make amends I suppose I'll go buy a cougar tag and destroy it. At least my trophy will go to conservation in some way.
Thanks for the feedback.

Depending on where you are there may be a compulsory inspection on cougars...as was stated this isn't a legit course of action either though.