PDA

View Full Version : Daypacks

Arctic Lake
09-21-2019, 10:50 AM
What’s a good daypack would want something quiet , waterproof , would prefer Camo or green or brown colour . Are those small pack frames okay for deer or would you just get a larger one you could use for both deer and moose .My current day pack is for hiking it’s blue and not that quiet. Ideas ?
Arctic Lake

Wild one
09-21-2019, 10:58 AM
Personally I use a badlands 2200 and it’s comfortable and works well packing out deer

Fella
09-21-2019, 11:02 AM
I use a stone glacier 5600. Not sure if that’s what you’re looking for but it’s light, comfortable, quiet and has the meat shelf.

Chrispryn
09-21-2019, 11:09 AM
Anything from Seek Outside. There bags are waterproof without the use of a rain cover. I pair mine with the Merlin Daypack. When empty and packed down properly its tiny but still has the frame to pack any game in North America.

Plus its multipurpose and has you covered for the 10 day trips also.

https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks-breakaway/

RyoTHC
09-21-2019, 12:25 PM
I run my bino harness if it’s a short trip, holds everything I need.
Longer trips and I’ll use my badlands clutch, and then break off the smaller secondary bag if I’m going away from camp.

Would Rather Be Fishing
09-21-2019, 01:18 PM
Badlands 2200 - love that one! I can pack overnight stuff (tent, sleeping bag, mat, stove, food) plus kill kit OR compress it down for just a days worth of scouting. Moulds to my body, don't even feel it. Doesn't snag, holds hydration bladder. Fell of my motorcycle on the highway once (because I was stupid) and shows minimal damage.

Love it.

Arctic Lake
09-21-2019, 09:35 PM
I use a stone glacier 5600. Not sure if that’s what you’re looking for but it’s light, comfortable, quiet and has the meat shelf.
Hmmm Cant seem, to find it on their website
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
09-21-2019, 09:37 PM
Personally I use a badlands 2200 and it’s comfortable and works well packing out deer
Does that pack come in different sizes ? Not sure what my torso size is but I'm 5'11" around 190 lbs
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
09-21-2019, 09:38 PM
Anything from Seek Outside. There bags are waterproof without the use of a rain cover. I pair mine with the Merlin Daypack. When empty and packed down properly its tiny but still has the frame to pack any game in North America.

okay thanks will look them up ! what model do you have?
Arctic Lake

Fella
09-21-2019, 09:39 PM
Hmmm Cant seem, to find it on their website
Arctic Lake
It’s discontinued. Closest one is the 5900

r106
09-21-2019, 09:46 PM
Im looking to upgrage my day pack to a multi day pack. I really like my underarmour ridge reaper 2800 but it lacks the ability to pack out a lot of meat. Tried the cabelas multi day pack, really like the lay out of that bag but it doesnt fit my torso length. It might be worth looking at. Im debating trying a mystery ranch $$$. Like the cabelas price point better lol.

Chrispryn
09-21-2019, 09:58 PM
okay thanks will look them up ! what model do you have?
Arctic Lake

Fortress 4800 with the Merlin day pack. Check it our Arctic, you will like it.

HarryToolips
09-21-2019, 10:04 PM
I always have my Eberlestock F1 mainframe along with the F65 little big top...I can carry everything I need for a full day, along with deboned meat and other animal parts needed for identification....works well for me..for extended hunts I have the J2DB dry bag that I can put between the two above mentioned..a versatile setup, look on the Eberlestock website and decide for yourself...

allan
09-21-2019, 10:26 PM
Im looking to upgrage my day pack to a multi day pack. I really like my underarmour ridge reaper 2800 but it lacks the ability to pack out a lot of meat. Tried the cabelas multi day pack, really like the lay out of that bag but it doesnt fit my torso length. It might be worth looking at. Im debating trying a mystery ranch $$$. Like the cabelas price point better lol.
I have a Mr nice 6500, love the pack except I struggle with the heavy loads 100Lb + when packing out. I called mr to inquire about a load lifter kit. They said I need to adjust yoke instead, to ride better on my hips and not my shoulders.I’m 6’5”, if the re adjust doesn’t work, I might sell the bag and try something different. I like having the big bag to haul heavy out on the first trip out, however my old badlands 2200 was with me on my first trip back to the truck with a front elk quarter this year. I was surprised by how well the bag held up under about 80-90 lbs of Gear and meat.

BlacktailStalker
09-22-2019, 12:48 AM
Ive had many, solid nod for my Mystery ranch metcalf

Rattler
09-22-2019, 08:05 AM
Currently using SlumberJack, which has a meat shelf. Have carried 130# of boned out meat and it performed very well. It doesn’t have a bag so I use a dry bag and attach my MR 6500 lid to it for more storage. My 6500 is a solid pack but is very difficult to load elk quarters in it and it is heavy 10# dry. Additionally the MR is a noisy pack for timber hunting. One can pick up a SlumberJack for $240 at Valhalla Pure.

Ride Red
09-22-2019, 08:48 AM
Badlands 2200 for me too. All I need in and out for the day or overnight. Crazy how much these bags will pack and quiet too. I’m 6’5” 240lbs and no fitting issues.

whitlers
09-22-2019, 08:58 AM
I know the Kuiu pack hate is strong on this forum but I use an Icon Pro frame with a 1850 bag for day trips and a 7200 for extended outings. Easy to swap bags and nice having the frame for packing out game if you are far from the truck.

Keta1969
09-22-2019, 10:18 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?153312-Day-pack&highlight=pack

Here's another thread that covers the topic.

Wild one
09-22-2019, 10:25 AM
Does that pack come in different sizes ? Not sure what my torso size is but I'm 5'11" around 190 lbs
Arctic Lake

I am 6’2 210 lbs but I have buddy who runs a 2200 badlands as well and he would be the same size as you

I have had my packs too long to remember for sure but I do remember my 4500 badlands had different sizes so might have been the same with the 2200. Either way I recommend trying on any pack you before you buy. I had a buddy order a pack that was a “good deal” and it rubbed his back raw first hunt he went on

Weatherby Fan
09-22-2019, 01:14 PM
When it comes to daypacks you have to ask what do you want out of it ? is it just to pack knife, TP, Lunch etc for short walks or when you down a deer do you want to pack half of it out ?
I use a Mystery Ranch Guidelight frame with the Cabinet bag so I can pack enough to spend the night if I want but also makes for a very light comfortable daypack.

KodiakHntr
09-22-2019, 01:50 PM
I never leave the truck/bike/horse without my Stone Glacier 7400. Squash the bag down to nothing and forget
its there until you need it.
Have packed a fair jag of meat with it now, and for me it works better than any of
the MR packs I had. (And that was multiple configurations...)
Packed out my early season moose with it this year. Easy to drop the bag and just run the shelf after the first load is out if you feel so inclined.

IslandWanderer
09-22-2019, 02:15 PM
I usually hunt in the rain, so bought a sealline Boundary 35. Should help to keep things dry with reasonable comfort.

Weatherby Fan
09-22-2019, 03:20 PM
I never leave the truck/bike/horse without my Stone Glacier 7400. Squash the bag down to nothing and forget
its there until you need it.
Have packed a fair jag of meat with it now, and for me it works better than any of
the MR packs I had. (And that was multiple configurations...)
Packed out my early season moose with it this year. Easy to drop the bag and just run the shelf after the first load is out if you feel so inclined.

Ive used the SG Xcurve frame 6900 bag, EXO 5500 and they are excellent packs, lightweight durable, well thought out

but for me the MR just fits better

Frank grimes
09-22-2019, 03:35 PM

Another vote for seek outside. I picked up the Lanner pack this year. Haven’t really used it much yet, just some long days fly fishing. But it works great as a day pack or even a 10 day pack.

Jordan f.
09-22-2019, 05:04 PM
If on a budget... Rokslide.com can have some good deals on used packs in the buy/sell section. Just remember it's in US prices haha

Jordan f.
09-22-2019, 05:58 PM
https://youtu.be/J2NQmtWUQqc

The goHUNT guys put some of the above named brands to a real test! Worth a watch

KodiakHntr
09-22-2019, 07:09 PM
Ive used the SG Xcurve frame 6900 bag, EXO 5500 and they are excellent packs, lightweight durable, well thought out

but for me the MR just fits better

Pack fit is a pretty personal thing for sure. I just didn’t much care for the weight penalty the MR stuff carries, and the SG fit better.
Tempted to try a Seek and an Exo, just to see whats what, but I’m still pretty happy with the 7400.

KBC
09-22-2019, 08:52 PM
I have an Exo 3500 K2 if you want to try one on and take a look. Lots of guys on Rokslide seem to want the latest and greatest so they are unloading packs that are a year or two old to buy the new K3.

Arctic Lake
09-22-2019, 09:19 PM
As always you fellas step up to the plate to answer my questions , I really do appreciate it ! Thanks to all of you for your patience !
ArcticLake

upperleftcoaster
09-23-2019, 08:39 AM
I have the kuiu icon 3200. works as a really nice day pack and i've had up to 50lbs of gear in it so far. can go overnight/multi-day in it easily. comfy, the frame fits me well. for an ultra light day pack i'm looking at getting just a small belt pack, but that's not good for packing out anything bigger than a grouse haha

i'll probably go exo for my next pack to try it out, but for something bigger in the 5500+ cubic inch range

Ohwildwon
09-24-2019, 10:12 PM
I bought one of these 2 years ago, love it, very well thought out, great price!

Has a great rating and I agree with it..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SXC652/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Talltimber1
09-25-2019, 08:09 AM
Mystery Ranch Pintler.
Im 6' 200 lbs. Got a large and have never had such a comfortable pack.
Could do an overnighter if you utilized meat shelf.

DeepJeep
09-25-2019, 08:36 AM
I have been using the badlands 2200. Works for me

wideopenthrottle
09-25-2019, 08:51 AM
I have two hip pouches on my belt (from DS tactical)one with survival and first aid stuff and the other has hunting stuff (liver bags,spare gloves rubber gloves with paper towel in one and TP in the other, flashlights lighters and sparker rod, licences/tags, flagging tape and magic marker, Backtracker GPS,spare batteries 9 emergency bullets (for 3 shot emergency signal 3 times) etc...before I get dressed my compass goes around my neck and as soon as I get dressed for a hunt, my belt goes on..if going for more than a half day I put the pouches in a soft camo pack with more gear ready to go...I always drag the whole deer if less than 1 km to a pickup point. I always have at least 1 30' length of 8mm rope on me (stays on my belt )and a couple more shorter lengths in my pack if I need to hang the meat and go for help to get the rest. this is for short day hunts close to camp....

Arctic Lake
09-25-2019, 10:37 AM
All good information posted if any of you have other suggestions feel to post up
Thank You
Arctic Lake

Jordan f.
09-25-2019, 10:47 AM
Good idea is to YouTube reviews of the bags you are interested in. Helps with the bags you can't actually hold before purchasing

Arctic Lake
09-25-2019, 10:52 AM
Good idea is to YouTube reviews of the bags you are interested in. Helps with the bags you can't actually hold before purchasing
Thanks Good idea !
Arctic Lake

Rieber
09-25-2019, 01:13 PM
Arctic Lake

You're still too big to stuff inside - hockey bag maybe?

J_T
09-25-2019, 01:31 PM
I think the pack (like weapons) depends on what your hunting and where your hunting. I have separate packs for different pursuits. Each is always ready to go. I use the Eberlestock Team Elk for elk hunting. I like the stability of the frame, I like how it fits my body. It's also narrow so the pack isn't rubbing against the bush. I like what I see in the current Mystery Ranch packs for sure. The Pintler looks great.

Weatherby Fan
09-25-2019, 01:39 PM
A.L.

I text you a cpl pictures of a daypack....check it out should do the trick for day hunts, then you can get a bigger one for overnight hunts !

WF

mastercaster
09-25-2019, 02:59 PM
I have a Badlands 2200, as well. It's a great pack but mine is surplus to my needs if you're interested in buying it. It was used less than a handful of times on day hunts. $185 ,,,,,,which is almost half price compared to a new one taxes in.

Ride Red
09-25-2019, 05:40 PM
Pintler does look good.

https://youtu.be/Gh6KfVbq7To

Arctic Lake
09-25-2019, 08:01 PM
You're still too big to stuff inside - hockey bag maybe?
Your a funny guy Rieber !
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
09-25-2019, 08:03 PM
Again, Thanks fellas for your information ! I really have grown to like the HBC site a lot !
Arctic Lake

REMINGTON JIM
09-27-2019, 07:41 PM
Arctic Lake

Skinny Bugger you are ! LOL :biggrin: I have a Badlands Super Day Pack BUT its really only good for a LUNCH Pack when your 225 lbs ! :grin: RJ

DR.DOUG
09-27-2019, 08:19 PM
I have the MR Pintler and an Eberlestock Team Elk pack. I have not yet packed meat with the Pintler but have loaded the heck out of it to see how it fits and I will say it is much more comfortable than the Team elk. I’m 6’2” and 225# but it really is a try and see how they fit process for all people.

RugDoctor
09-27-2019, 08:35 PM
I have a Badlands 2200, as well. It's a great pack but mine is surplus to my needs if you're interested in buying it. It was used less than a handful of times on day hunts. $185 ,,,,,,which is almost half price compared to a new one taxes in.
I have a 2200 as well and knowing what I do about mine, I’d buy this in a second if I didn’t already have one! Love mine. Filled as a day trip and packed half a bear out with it no problem and comfortable. Eberlestock Slumberjack for more than a day trip

Arctic Lake
09-27-2019, 09:23 PM
Skinny Bugger you are ! LOL :biggrin: I have a Badlands Super Day Pack BUT its really only good for a LUNCH Pack when your 225 lbs ! :grin: RJ

Hahaha ! Ah RJ always funny you are !
Arctic Lake

mastercaster
09-28-2019, 09:29 AM

I've actually taken a boned out 2 point mule deer out of the bush in one of those packs. I may have had to carry one bag of meat in my hand, though,,,,can't quite remember. I like that it can hold your rifle if need be, as well. They're a good well made little day pack! I us mine a lot.

lefty
11-11-2019, 03:01 PM
Interested if it’s still for sale

Arctic Lake
11-11-2019, 06:52 PM
A.L.

I text you a cpl pictures of a daypack....check it out should do the trick for day hunts, then you can get a bigger one for overnight hunts !

WF

Thanks to Weatherby Fan I now have one . Thanks Again WF ! WF has been a great mentor !
Arctic Lake

REMINGTON JIM
11-11-2019, 07:42 PM
Thanks to Weatherby Fan I now have one . Thanks Again WF ! WF has been a great mentor !
Arctic Lake

They don't GET any Better then WF - Prince of a Man he is ! ;) RJ

Arctic Lake
11-12-2019, 11:16 AM
They don't GET any Better then WF - Prince of a Man he is ! ;) RJ
You said it RJ !
Arctic Lake

Brandon Lee
02-06-2020, 06:17 AM
I suppose anyone at any hunting forum will suggest Badlands 2200.
Persinally I like Eberlestock x2 and it worked well as a day-pack. But if you go minimalist and push it on some space you can turn it even into a 2 night pack. You have to get creative, but it can open so much space it's possible. 4 years ago it costed 50$ less, and it's still a bit more expensive that the mentioned Badlands 2200. But it's still a great hunting pack, carries well if its empty or fully loaded. That said, I've used the side pockets to carry my .22 on a day hunt.

FYI, here it is compared to other daypacks https://wildproofgear.com/best-daypack-for-hunting/

HunterChef
02-06-2020, 08:55 AM
Mystery Ranch Pintler

Curtis84
07-05-2020, 09:50 PM
I got the Mystery Ranch pop up 28 in optifade colour for my daypack, it has a meat shelf and is really comfortable also lifetime warranty.