PDA

View Full Version : Good starter gear for new blacktail hunter

Ronin13
09-19-2019, 11:11 AM
Hey everyone,

brand new hunter here from VI. Going to start off with hunting blacktail around the island. I'm looking for some recommendations on what basic gear I should get. I already have a .223 rifle, dressing knife, and gut hook. I figure I should get some binos as well. Any other recommendations for the beginner? I don't need super fancy stuff.

Thanks!

VLD43
09-19-2019, 11:14 AM
Good Bino's, day pack, good boots and good rain gear.

Ron.C
09-19-2019, 11:17 AM
If your plan is to sit and glass big cutblocks, invest in some good rubber rain gear. If your plan is to stalk the timber, gets some quiet clothing that keeps you warm when wet " combibation of wool/Fleece ".

Dont waste a penny on camoflage gear unless you plan on bowhunting.

I understand its expensive when you are starting, and you can get by with less expensive rain gear, and boots, but get the best binoculars you can afford. You cant shoot what you cant find and cheapo 100 bushnells will fail and fog up on you.

Ronin13
09-19-2019, 11:30 AM
Definitely agree on the raingear, especially for the Island. No need for camouflage for rifle hunting? I was gonna grab some old army surplus so I don't ruin the stuff I have issued to me

Fella
09-19-2019, 11:35 AM
Solid earth tones work fine. Greys, greens etc. Avoid blue.

Ron.C
09-19-2019, 11:41 AM
Definitely agree on the raingear, especially for the Island. No need for camouflage for rifle hunting? I was gonna grab some old army surplus so I don't ruin the stuff I have issued to me

Its more important to watch the wind and be careful how you move then to worry about camo.
I think most camo now adays for big game hunting is hype and im sure that industry make millions. In hind sight, I wasted allot of money early in my hunting career on all the wrong gear.

Ronin13
09-19-2019, 11:45 AM

I remember reading something about avoiding blue, attracts the deer's attention more than other colours

joshbazz
09-19-2019, 11:49 AM
As a beginner myself, I definitely recommend good boots and binos. I started with cheap amazon $50 bushnell binos and crappy tire boots. After my first season last year frustrated with wiping the fog off my eyepiece EVERY few seconds, I bought a pair of Vortex Diamondback 8x42 on sale for a couple hundred – Cabelas has the 10x42 for 299 right now... or try to find a good pair that's used - most hunters upgrade - lot's of deals to be had. CGN is a good source.

I was able to return my CT boots within a year, at least their exchange warranty is great, and upgraded to another pair after the soles were crumbling. The new pair's soles chipped away after one use, I was able to return and get a refund, and went to Atmosphere and got some Solomon Gore-tex hiking boots on sale for a couple hundred, at about $80 off, the 4D, I highly recommend them: waterproof and tough. Hiked rock, slash, cut blocks. Didn't even break a shoe string. I also got some gore-tex gaiters which I wish I got last year. Hunting pants always get soaked beneath the knees, this kept my pants dry from the knee down.

Then rain poncho is really all you need if you have some good wool layers. I use merino or merino blend for base layers, then synthetic or fleece (no cotton), then synthetic shells (jacket + pants), with rain poncho for when it pours. Make sure you get a poncho that has a big enough hole for your head with a cap, some are pretty tight, and can rip. Deer didn't seem to be concerned with sound of rain coming off my poncho when glassing them.

I'd love to get sitka, or first light geared up - but that will be when I have an extra couple grand to burn...

islandarcher
09-19-2019, 11:52 AM
If your plan is to sit and glass big cutblocks, invest in some good rubber rain gear. If your plan is to stalk the timber, gets some quiet clothing that keeps you warm when wet " combibation of wool/Fleece ".

Dont waste a penny on camoflage gear unless you plan on bowhunting.

I understand its expensive when you are starting, and you can get by with less expensive rain gear, and boots, but get the best binoculars you can afford. You cant shoot what you cant find and cheapo 100 bushnells will fail and fog up on you.

Camouflage is not necessary even for bowhunting. My favourite still hunting attire is an old Pendelton paid wool shirt and a pair of Khaki cargo pants and a crushable wool fedora. I like the full brim hats, keeps rain off the back of your neck, especially as I can't stand wearing a hooded jacket.

Totally agree on the importance of good binos! a good pair of mid range Nikons will serve you well and you may never feel the need to "upgrade". I have heard many good things about Vortex optics as well. I spent the first few years of my bowhunting career without binos and was caught flat footed by many deer that "appeared" out of no where.

Good footwear is incredibly important but is greatly determined by your style of hunting. I have a pair of heavy Hanwags for backpacking around for goats and caribou, but will slip into a pair of rubber gum boots for stalking coastal blacktail. I have even worn Chuck Taylors for stalking in the spring.

What works for one may not work for you and vice versa. I love hunting with my back quiver, lots of guys cant stand them. I love old wool shirts and jackets, others swear by nothing but Kuiu or Sitka. Some guys swear up and down there is no dicernable difference in a pair of $400 binos and a $2000 pair, I love my Leica's and have zero buyers remorse. Most important is to just get out there, put some miles on and sort out what works best for you.

MichelD
09-19-2019, 11:56 AM
I grew up on northern Vancouver Island and started hunting there carrying my own rifle in 1968.

Basic equipment was a rain gear, a knife, compass, my iron sighted 303 Ross rifle and a pair of caulk boots.

I never owned a pair of binos until 1978.

marcus44
09-19-2019, 12:26 PM
A "butt-out" tool

adriaticum
09-19-2019, 12:37 PM
Basic GPS and game bags

Ronin13
09-23-2019, 02:39 PM
A "butt-out" tool

What's a "butt-out" tool?

Thanks for the help guys. Main things I got out of this so far is good binos and quality, but rain gear.

MichelD
09-23-2019, 03:12 PM
https://www.amazon.com/Hunters-Specialties-Butt-Game-Dressing/dp/B002ECKYSA

That's a Butt-Out tool.

Just another "hunting" gimmick to rattle around in your day pack for nothing in my opinion, I hope I'm not insulting anyone by saying that.

You can core around the anus and up around the lower intestine of any animal with any sharp knife.

A few cuts into the pelvis around the guts from the inside and the whole shiteree should just pull out.

Jordan f.
09-23-2019, 04:04 PM
If you can afford it, and are going to be out of cell service. I'd recommend an InReach.

A bino harness also makes life more comfortable

brian
09-23-2019, 06:09 PM
Definitely not, deer's detail vision is crap. The moment you move however, that is a different ball game. They have a hard time seeing you if you are perfectly still. I wear dull solid colours that are pretty closely matching the surroundings in tone. Colour doesn't really matter. They don't see much in the red green spectrum but they do see blue very well.

Gear I would add, a small emergency kit so you can light a fire and stay dry-ish if stranded. Add to that a small water proof bag to carry things like heart, liver, and anything else you want to take while gutting. A rope if you plan on dragging the deer out. Game bags if you plan on quartering in the field. Some water tablets if you want to refill a bottle in a stream are nice to have. A headlamp for going in coming out in the dark and fielddressing when the lights go out is a great addition over a flashlight. Otherwise compass, knife, boots, something to kill with and you are good to go. That is about all I carry in a day pack.

longstonec
09-23-2019, 06:19 PM
You probably already have a stanfield, So that covers camo for you're top half.

Ronin13
09-25-2019, 08:49 AM
Definitely not, deer's detail vision is crap. The moment you move however, that is a different ball game. They have a hard time seeing you if you are perfectly still. I wear dull solid colours that are pretty closely matching the surroundings in tone. Colour doesn't really matter. They don't see much in the red green spectrum but they do see blue very well.

Gear I would add, a small emergency kit so you can light a fire and stay dry-ish if stranded. Add to that a small water proof bag to carry things like heart, liver, and anything else you want to take while gutting. A rope if you plan on dragging the deer out. Game bags if you plan on quartering in the field. Some water tablets if you want to refill a bottle in a stream are nice to have. A headlamp for going in coming out in the dark and fielddressing when the lights go out is a great addition over a flashlight. Otherwise compass, knife, boots, something to kill with and you are good to go. That is about all I carry in a day pack.

This is a good list, didn't think about most of this stuff as it's what I usually bring with me when I do overnight camping trips. Game bags are probably a good thing, I can imagine dragging a deer through the thick VI brush wouldn't be enjoyable.

albravo2
09-25-2019, 09:06 AM
Headlamp is the best item I've read above. You always need it on the day you don't think you'll need it.

Costco currently has 3 super-bright headlamps for under $30, with batteries. The LED technology is moving so quickly I never both with the expensive Black Diamond or Petzl versions, I always just buy what Costco sells and I'm usually at the leading edge of the technology for a LOT less money.

Weatherby Fan
09-25-2019, 09:16 AM
If you have a cel phone just down load the FREE app Canada Maps, you can put your cel on airplane mode and GPS still works for tracking you and adding flags as needed, just download maps for your area before you leave home takes a cpl minutes, it’s free and simple to use, and you always have your cel handy for pictures

Good Binos 8x42 or 10x42, good boots, buy one bigger pack and use as daypack as well, most all new packs compress down, outdoor edge ultralight knife with replaceable blades, if you need a saw get a Wyoming Saw II, has a bone blade as well as a wood blade and compacts into a pouch, I’ve used them for 35 years great if trees down across the road, headlamp
Merino wool Sox, merino wool shirt and bottoms,
do you need Camo gear ? no, does it work ? yes I’ve proved it many times as it breaks up your outline,

if your hunting on the island as you know yourself you’ll be hunting in the rain so get some rain gear

first and last light are your friend, watch your wind

joshbazz
09-25-2019, 09:56 AM
One thing to add, something I have forgotten a couple times early on (like last year, and a day this year) is bringing enough water and snacks on a day hunt – when you are away from camp or truck. You never know where you'll end up sometimes when you get caught up in the excitement tracking game. If you cover a fair amount of ground, and elevation, you burn more calories than you might think, and it's important to refuel, even if it's a granola bar and a litre of water, it can make as huge difference. Or you could get a life straw and try whatever water (ponds, creeks) are around you... I'm not that brave yet...

Also, as said above, a good GPS app that let's you add waypoints and tracks is really important for finding your way back... A cel charger is a good idea as well, some charge your phone 3 or 4 times. Search youtube for setting s to turn off on your phone, such as advertising tracking, so that your battery does drain quickly from unnecessary app services.

Jordan f.
09-25-2019, 10:34 AM
iHunterBC is a great app and easy way to check the regs on the go mid hunt.

Ronin13
10-15-2019, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the advice guys!