PDA

View Full Version : Let’s talk about poop...

Redthies
09-18-2019, 09:56 PM
No, not animal droppings. Human droppings. I hunt upland birds a lot with two dogs, and the number of times I have to haul the female off some losers enviro-dump is beyond effing belief! I’m thinking it’s 98% other hunters in the spots I’m in, and it’s revolting. If you have to take a crap in the woods, do us all a favor and bury it, or at the absolute minimum, put a rock on top of it!

Thanks for taking the 30 seconds to read this and for picking up that rock next time you’re caught short...

Bustercluck
09-18-2019, 10:11 PM
Sounds like a busy spot...

Redthies
09-18-2019, 10:22 PM
Sounds like a busy spot...

This is at multiple different spots in regions 2, 3, 8 and 4 and I’ve seen it go on for years. I will walk roads with the dogs for grouse, and it’s pretty much every time we go out. If it were one spot/area or infrequent, I wouldn’t have brought it up.

Bustercluck
09-19-2019, 12:08 AM
When I was a teenager my brother took a dump near a logging truck he was working on. After he went back to work his husky/wolf went over and rolled in it. Lol

Sounds like you have bad luck too

Quiet Hunter
09-19-2019, 12:22 AM
Maybe its bear just eating people food? Does that work lol

Redthies
09-19-2019, 03:38 AM
Maybe its bear just eating people food? Does that work lol

And using TP too?

I don’t think it’s about luck. People, just bury your shat!

Piperdown
09-19-2019, 07:57 AM
Last time i hung off the back of the truck, there was a 6 ft spray, i may have to call in a dump truck load of rocks next time :) I do agree, we live in Jordan River and all the tourists think it is an open washroom squatting area, but that is probably because Island Wanderer called JR a shithole for drunks and welly bums...

Rieber
09-19-2019, 08:04 AM
No, not animal droppings. Human droppings. I hunt upland birds a lot with two dogs, and the number of times I have to haul the female off some losers enviro-dump is beyond effing belief! I’m thinking it’s 98% other hunters in the spots I’m in, and it’s revolting. If you have to take a crap in the woods, do us all a favor and bury it, or at the absolute minimum, put a rock on top of it!

Thanks for taking the 30 seconds to read this and for picking up that rock next time you’re caught short...

Just curious if you pick up your dogs poops when you're in the woods bird hunting?

I get your point though - there is something dirty about human poops and paper left to decompose. I will honestly keep your request in mind the next time I file my taxes in the woods and will be sure to better cover or conceal them. I agree - nobody needs to see or step in that shite. Mind you, if you're hunting where people stop to poops, you might want to try another less welcoming rest area.

swampthing
09-19-2019, 08:24 AM
I never bury mine but its always covered with rocks, logs, moss or whatever is handy. Taught my son to do this as well. Nothing like enjoying the wilderness and seeing someones "site"

Treed
09-19-2019, 09:44 AM
Totally agree!! Put a log on your log!

upperleftcoaster
09-19-2019, 10:02 AM
my dog also has the gift of finding uncovered poop. for bear/deer/other animal poop he seems to give it a sniff and i can get him off it in time, but frick he always dives right into the human feces...gross.

Redthies
09-19-2019, 11:52 AM
Just curious if you pick up your dogs poops when you're in the woods bird hunting?

I get your point though - there is something dirty about human poops and paper left to decompose. I will honestly keep your request in mind the next time I file my taxes in the woods and will be sure to better cover or conceal them. I agree - nobody needs to see or step in that shite. Mind you, if you're hunting where people stop to poops, you might want to try another less welcoming rest area.

Thanks for the future efforts after your efforts... These are FSRs. It seems people just shit anywhere they feel the urge. Sometimes there are camp spots within 1/2 km or so, but all the more reason to cover it if there is a camp spot nearby.

Redthies
09-19-2019, 11:54 AM
Last time i hung off the back of the truck, there was a 6 ft spray, i may have to call in a dump truck load of rocks next time :) I do agree, we live in Jordan River and all the tourists think it is an open washroom squatting area, but that is probably because Island Wanderer called JR a shithole for drunks and welly bums...

You must know my friend Sean Kxxxxx... He’s been known to tilt a bottle or 6;)

Kill-da-wabbit
09-19-2019, 12:42 PM
Does this count as bear baiting?

rocksteady
09-19-2019, 12:55 PM
When the Tim Hortons dark roast hits, i like to duke in the middle of the road, so all road users can see the paper well ahead of time :)

Iron Glove
09-19-2019, 02:16 PM
my dog also has the gift of finding uncovered poop. for bear/deer/other animal poop he seems to give it a sniff and i can get him off it in time, but frick he always dives right into the human feces...gross.

Man, I feel you pain.
Used to hate it when Molly RIP would take off into the woods, come back smacking her lips and there were pieces of toilet paper stuck to her nose. :-(

tyreguy
09-19-2019, 02:33 PM
Same here, and I light the TP on fire for a brief ceremony as we all remove our hats!!!!
Funny how fast that can get you a reputation ��

When the Tim Hortons dark roast hits, i like to duke in the middle of the road, so all road users can see the paper well ahead of time :)

rocksteady
09-19-2019, 02:44 PM
So, playing devils advocate here... your dog has a fetish for human crap... and we should bury it so your dog dont roll in it... my dog has a fetish for chasing car tires as they go down the street in front of the house does that mean no one should drive on my street????

Salty
09-19-2019, 03:05 PM
I've had quite a few such encounters both the lap dog and the two year nut job Catahoula think people shit is as good as it gets. I only find this within a km of pavement though just sayin.

Other than that to those out there uninitiated in bush dump best practices, and there are many, you dig a hole with the heel of your boot first. Cover your deposit in the hole with a bit of the dirt you dug up and a bit more leaves and bush litter and it decomposes very fast then. Left on top of the ground, not so much.

rocksteady
09-19-2019, 03:11 PM
Sounds like the poopers are not the problem but messed up dogs

rocksteady
09-19-2019, 03:21 PM
I've had quite a few such encounters both the lap dog and the two year nut job Catahoula think people shit is as good as it gets. I only find this within a km of pavement though just sayin.

Other than that to those out there uninitiated in bush dump best practices, and there are many, you dig a hole with the heel of your boot first. Cover your deposit in the hole with a bit of the dirt you dug up and a bit more leaves and bush litter and it decomposes very fast then. Left on top of the ground, not so much.

Never saw that in the CORE manual.. hmmm.

rocksteady
09-19-2019, 03:45 PM
I taught my dog to not chase my cat.. teach your dog to not roll in human poopies.. problem solved

Redthies
09-19-2019, 06:53 PM
Sounds like the poopers are not the problem but messed up dogs

Nope. You are the messed up one. Nobody wants to see or step in your shit.

Redthies
09-19-2019, 06:56 PM
So, playing devils advocate here... your dog has a fetish for human crap... and we should bury it so your dog dont roll in it... my dog has a fetish for chasing car tires as they go down the street in front of the house does that mean no one should drive on my street????

Tires aren’t disgusting. Other people’s shit IS.

Feel free to not add anymore “wisdom” here.

rocksteady
09-19-2019, 07:02 PM
You got issues cause your dog has bad habits... we all have to change our lives cause your mutt is a shat hound?

Wow.. typical society nowadays, blame others versus raking ownership and responsibility

rocksteady
09-19-2019, 07:06 PM
Bears poop in the woods
Deer poop in the woods
Elk poop in the woods
Moose poop in the woods
Coyotes poop in the woods
Wolves poop in the woods
Cougars poop in the woods
Grouse, rabbits, squirrels, porcupines, etc poop in the woods but you have an issue if a human poops in the woods and does not bury it so your precious mutt don't roll in it...

Here is a hint... TRAIN YOUR DOG!!!

huntcoop
09-19-2019, 07:08 PM
Just curious if you pick up your dogs poops when you're in the woods bird hunting?...

Was this question answered?

rocksteady
09-19-2019, 07:12 PM

Probly not...

I hate stepping in dog shat when hunting so all dog owners must comply with my wishes.. poopy boots are disgusting

wbeasley13
09-19-2019, 07:15 PM
https://globalnews.ca/news/1442972/how-to-poop-in-the-woods/

rocksteady
09-19-2019, 07:24 PM
Well if its on global its gotta be gospel

j270wsm
09-19-2019, 07:55 PM
Wtf is wrong with people.

Oh no, I forgot my ass wipe....hmmm, hand full of sand should work just fine....

deltawaterfowler
09-19-2019, 08:52 PM
Hey just be thankful that the poop is likely from a relatively healthy human being enjoying their time in the woods. Went for a walk the other day with my dog in the Delta bog and my labrador retrieiver got into some hobo shit and ended up tripping balls that night. Vet figured there must have been some left over opiods or maybe even fentanyl in the poop. We tried to get a urine sample to but weren't able to confirm.

HarryToolips
09-19-2019, 08:57 PM
Wtf is wrong with people.

Oh no, I forgot my ass wipe....hmmm, hand full of sand should work just fine....
Lol no no that's what Canadian tire money is for...I thought this was going to be another thread about Trudeau...

Redthies
09-20-2019, 02:46 AM
Wow.. typical society nowadays, blame others versus raking ownership and responsibility

I’m actually not blaming anyone. That’s YOUR take on it.

I’m just asking people to use a little common sense, but I seem to forget in my old age that most people don’t have any. TP is garbage. Pack it in, pack it out. If you are off the literal beaten path, and go, it’s no biggie. Weather will erase your turd in time, like it does with everything else’s turds. But if you need to crap where others are going to be trying to enjoy a day of outdoor time, spend a second to think. But you are probably one of those people who think it’s ok to leave your old couch on the side of a FSR too, and this simple concept is too much to grasp.

Redthies
09-20-2019, 03:36 AM

I practice what I preach. If I’m in an area where others are likely to step in the dogs poop, I’ll cover it with a rock or log. If we are not on a trail or road and it’s not where you are likely to step, I let nature take its course.

rocksteady
09-20-2019, 04:16 AM
If you say pack it in pack it out, why do you not pick up yout dog feces and take it home with you.

Redthies
09-20-2019, 07:02 AM
I said pack out the TP, or burn it. What is your issue with this? It’s not like I’m asking you to not go in the woods. Just put a damn rock on it.

wideopenthrottle
09-20-2019, 08:03 AM
You got issues cause your dog has bad habits... we all have to change our lives cause your mutt is a shat hound?

holy trolling rocksteady...are you seriously arguing it is ok to not bury your poo....I never though I would ever hear an outdoor enthusiast argue against the simple curtesy of burying your poo

rocksteady
09-20-2019, 08:05 AM
Not trolling.. i just dont bury my poop or pack out my tp..

A few good rains and both are history

Redthies
09-20-2019, 08:06 AM
holy trolling rocksteady...are you seriously arguing it is ok to not bury your poo....I never though I would ever hear an outdoor enthusiast argue against the simple curtesy of burying your poo

Thanks for saying that! I’ve followed RS’ dear diary and enjoyed all of it, but have now clicked “ignore” on him, which sucks.

rocksteady
09-20-2019, 08:10 AM
Thanks for saying that! I’ve followed RS’ dear diary and enjoyed all of it, but have now clicked “ignore” on him, which sucks.

Fine by me.. was jyst stating my opinion.. yours may be different

rocksteady
09-20-2019, 08:12 AM
Being in the EK you have a much larger chance of stepping in a huge sloppy cow pie vs human poop

rocksteady
09-20-2019, 08:30 AM
Did you not see my post #18 here..

I said "PLAYING DEVILS ADVOCATE"... that means i will debate the other side of the discussion but it does not necessarily mean i truly support it.. its a disclaimer :)

wideopenthrottle
09-20-2019, 08:43 AM
Did you not see my post #18 here..

I said "PLAYING DEVILS ADVOCATE"... that means i will debate the other side of the discussion but it does not necessarily mean i truly support it.. its a disclaimer :)

playing devils advocate is "old school" trolling...heheheh

rocksteady
09-20-2019, 09:04 AM
playing devils advocate is "old school" trolling...heheheh

Maybe.. but i am old.. enuff

Getbent
09-20-2019, 10:20 AM

nut job Catahoula is right...my daughters each have one!

m5wilson
09-20-2019, 12:04 PM
But seriously did anyone actually read that Global news article that was posted?

"Anevich said some hardcore nature-lovers opt for the buddy system – find a friend (that you’re very comfortable with), hold hands and lean back in unison.

One Global News employee recommended climbing a tree (“it’s cleaner”)."

Imagine...

Redthies
09-20-2019, 08:28 PM
But seriously did anyone actually read that Global news article that was posted?

"Anevich said some hardcore nature-lovers opt for the buddy system – find a friend (that you’re very comfortable with), hold hands and lean back in unison.

Imagine...

Them Ontario folk is batshit crazy...

j270wsm
09-20-2019, 08:29 PM

Are you serious??? You put him on ignore because of his opinion/posted comments about shitting in the bush. That’s the most pathetic thing I’ve ever heard.

eastkoot
09-20-2019, 10:02 PM
Train the dog to leave poop alone! But some one once told me you have to be smarter than the dog your training!! Just saying.

Bustercluck
09-20-2019, 10:21 PM

Imagine...
I wouldn’t go anywhere I had to pack poop burritos around with me. I’d rather stop eating several days before and during my outdoor time and hope for the best before I pack poop around in my pack.

Redthies
09-20-2019, 10:34 PM
Train the dog to leave poop alone! But some one once told me you have to be smarter than the dog your training!! Just saying.

And some dogs have instincts that run deeper than others. For female dogs, it’s common to eat poop as they do/did this to keep other predators from finding their pups. Also just saying.

Redthies
09-20-2019, 10:41 PM
You put him on ignore because of his opinion/posted comments about shitting in the bush. That’s the most pathetic thing I’ve ever heard.

No, I put him on ignore because I got tired of reading his comments about how proud he was to shit all over the place, and how everyone who didn’t want to deal with other peoples shit were in the wrong. The REALLY pathetic thing is how many people like to boast about being pigs.

I knew this was likely to be a touchy subject when I started the thread, but I guess I gave people too much credit for maybe having the ability to be educated on how easy it is to cover up their crap, and why it’s the considerate thing to do. Apparently its too difficult a concept for some of you to grasp.

KBC
09-20-2019, 11:22 PM
Sometime I have time to dig a hole, sometimes not. I always pile a bunch of shyt on top though. If you ever come across a pile of stuff piled up...don't push it over.

IslandWanderer
09-21-2019, 06:39 AM
I always pile wood or rocks on mine, unless I'm in Jordan River, then I just leave it.

JAGRMEISTER
09-21-2019, 08:53 AM
perhaps your dog needs to be reprogrammed to find birds?

Walking Buffalo
09-21-2019, 09:49 AM
Are you serious??? You put him on ignore because of his opinion/posted comments about shitting in the bush. That’s the most pathetic thing I’ve ever heard.

I'm sure he is serious. And while it is pathetic, we need to get used to such tactics from snowflakes as this is what they have been taught to do when people hold an opposing view.

CranePete
09-21-2019, 10:39 AM
I actually find this to be astonishing...that there is so much acrimony and belligerence over something that we all do. Do your business, cover/bury it, move along.

Iron Glove
09-21-2019, 11:30 AM
So now the "shoot, shovel and shut up" is replaced by "shyt, shovel and shut up" ??
Somewhere in our hiking /camping past we picked up the book "How To Shyt In The Woods", guess we'll have to reread it. :wink:
And remember to always have a pack of those nice wet wipes in your pack, they make your bum feel oh sooooo good.

MichelD
09-21-2019, 03:23 PM
TP is incredibly durable and persistent. I have been to lots of undeveloped unofficial campsites where just at the edge of the site there are unsightly piles of toilet paper long after the feces have disappeared.

It's not that hard to scrape a hole in the ground and bury your waste rather than leave it around as a tribute and monument to your slovenly slob behaviour.

rocksteady
09-21-2019, 03:44 PM
TP is incredibly durable and persistent. I have been to lots of undeveloped unofficial campsites where just at the edge of the site there are unsightly piles of toilet paper long after the feces have disappeared.

It's not that had to scrape a hole in the ground and bury your waste rather than leave it around as a tribute and monument to your slovenly slob behaviour.

Depends on how many ply of paper you use on your toosh and the softness of said plies..

Some of that institutional (school, arenas, other publuc venues) is only one ply but could survive a nuclear holocaust, whereas the super soft kitty approved 3 ply extra special to your bum stuff disintegrates when you look at it

Redthies
09-21-2019, 10:25 PM
I'm sure he is serious. And while it is pathetic, we need to get used to such tactics from snowflakes as this is what they have been taught to do when people hold an opposing view.

Come here and say that tough guy! When people talk out of their asses, I ignore them. To quote John Cougar “I won’t suffer fools”. You guys are all name calling me because I chose to not pay attention to one persons continued inane comments. That’s what is pathetic.

caddisguy
09-22-2019, 07:11 AM
I thought of this thread on Friday. I woke up first light and went to walk to my blind and noticed a bunch of TP right at the entrance of my camp.

There's also a patch of adjacent timber that seems to have been used by a summers worth of seasonal campers with crap everywhere... so gross I'd be scared to even dig a spot and accidentally unearth someone else's turd.

Salty method is the way "to go". Pun intended :) only takes a second to dig out a hole with the heal of your boot.

Walking Buffalo
09-22-2019, 07:32 AM
Another triggered SJW....

Come here and say that tough guy! When people talk out of their asses, I ignore them. To quote John Cougar “I won’t suffer fools”. You guys are all name calling me because I chose to not pay attention to one persons continued inane comments. That’s what is pathetic.

You should learn what the word ignore actually means.

KBC
09-22-2019, 10:20 AM
Back to poop, it’s funny that I’ve read most of this thread while pooping.

rocksteady
09-22-2019, 10:39 AM
Back to poop, it’s funny that I’ve read most of this thread while pooping.

Pics or it did not happen... is that not what everyone says? ;)

rocksteady
09-22-2019, 10:40 AM

Wah! Suck it up princess... you started this "shat show"

You had an issue with people pooping in the woods and not burying it, and not packing out their butt wipe, cause your dogs like to roll in it.. what did you expect would hapoen when you try telling everyone how they should act for your satisfaction.??

rocksteady
09-22-2019, 10:50 AM
I just think its hilarious that you have a problem with humans defecating in the forest.. its a free country.. i am gonna poop where, when and how i wish to

MichelD
09-22-2019, 11:21 AM
I found a tree planting shovel abandoned along a logging road a few years ago. It has a very narrow slightly pointed blade. It's a perfect latrine shovel as it'll dig into just about anything. One of those army surplus trenching shovels is also a good digging tool to have in camp to make a quick latrine trench.

Chewie
09-22-2019, 04:19 PM
I’m glad I took the time to read the whole thread. Turns out after all these years I’ve been doing it wrong. Shitty.

P.S.
you ain’t lived until you get a paper cut from green grass on the ole brown eye

Quiet Hunter
09-22-2019, 08:03 PM
I found a tree planting shovel abandoned along a logging road a few years ago. It has a very narrow slightly pointed blade. It's a perfect latrine shovel as it'll dig into just about anything. One of those army surplus trenching shovels is also a good digging tool to have in camp to make a quick latrine trench.

So that's where my shovel went. I put it down when I went to poo.

Squamch
09-22-2019, 08:58 PM
I put a log on mine for the first time today. I'm looking forward to the "why would you put firewood on your poop?!" Thread.

Rieber
09-22-2019, 09:00 PM
So that's where my shovel went. I put it down when I went to poo.

Should have left a paper trail behind so you could have found it again. :roll:

marcus44
09-22-2019, 09:04 PM
Sorry but this is a really crappy thread. I'm surprised it's gone this long shooting the shat

Deer_Slayer
09-22-2019, 09:37 PM
What if you dig a hole with all good intentions but you miss your target and your turd is hanging on the precipice? When you gota go you gota go...sorry but if it comes down to shattin in my pants or your dog finding my shyte..can't help you.

Deer_Slayer
09-22-2019, 09:42 PM
What if I flag it? Post warning signs all around it? Maybe some barbed wire?

Deer_Slayer
09-22-2019, 09:49 PM
Rocksteady...looks like you really put your foot in it....ooops.

Deer_Slayer
09-22-2019, 09:50 PM
Putting a log on a log? Interesting.

RyoTHC
09-22-2019, 10:55 PM
theres a couple people on this thread that should just stay in Vancouver.

Ironically there is probably more shit on the streets there than OP is complaining about wherever he is.

Wild one
09-23-2019, 06:04 AM
I never realized taking a crap could be so complicated and controversial.

Redthies
09-23-2019, 07:55 AM
Wow. Still amazes me the amount of name calling that you supposed “men” feel is necessary. Hiding behind your keyboards calling someone you’ve never met a “snowflake”, “princess” etc. Very mature. Would you like to meet up at the bike racks after school?

This thread was a simple ask to not leave your shit and paper uncovered if you are in the area of publicly used trails and camp spots in the wilderness. It’s just common curtesy, but if you don’t get that, there’s no helping you.

j270wsm
09-23-2019, 08:20 AM
Your first post never said anything about areas of publicly used trails/camp sites and you also stated that you were pretty sure it was 98% hunters leaving the mess. If publicly used trails/camp sites in over populated areas was your concern then you should have clearly stated that. Due to where I live/hunt this isn’t an issue for me. I have only come across someone else’ shit pile 2-3 times in the last 20yrs.

Rieber
09-23-2019, 09:13 AM
So I've done the research, plotted the graphs and came to the conclusion: hunters poop in the woods.

We have to move past this point.

Funny that we'll pick up our dog's drops when we take them for a walk but we leave our own drops behind. Seems kind of wrong when you think about it. Mind you I don't want to walk around hunting with a bag of my poops in a baggie.

Wild one
09-23-2019, 09:28 AM
If it’s raining and you have the splatters is it ok to let it fly relying on the rain to wash it away or should you still dig a hole?

CranePete
09-23-2019, 10:07 AM
I predict a lock coming...

Bustercluck
09-23-2019, 10:09 AM
If it’s raining and you have the splatters is it ok to let it fly relying on the rain to wash it away or should you still dig a hole?
you should definitely wait until you find some porous ground where your mess will seep into the ground out of site and then pack your used sh*t tape up and put it in your pocket until you can get home and flush it like a civilized human.

Bustercluck
09-23-2019, 10:11 AM
Wow. Still amazes me the amount of name calling that you supposed “men” feel is necessary. Hiding behind your keyboards calling someone you’ve never met a “snowflake”, “princess” etc. Very mature. Would you like to meet up at the bike racks after school?

it seems like you’re the troll hiding behind his keyboard.

Bustercluck
09-23-2019, 10:12 AM

Is this the kind of keyboard warriorring you’re talking about?

we should talk to trump about building a wall around the lml...

Leaseman
09-23-2019, 12:09 PM
Do you throw your apple core, banana peel, the crust of your sandwich your Mommy forgot to cut off in the bush?

What do you do with your pee?

I have pooped in the bushes for well over 50 years....near have heard anyone complain??

rocksteady
09-23-2019, 12:18 PM
Some posters take this thread WAY too serious.. It was idle banter.. no feelings were intended to be crushed..

IslandWanderer
09-23-2019, 01:10 PM
Never fails, when I feel like I'm in a good spot or time of day, the urge to drop some stew hits me.

I've been laying down steaming heaps in the bush regularly for a long time.

Rieber
09-23-2019, 01:18 PM
C'mon guys - everyone poops in the woods. Some just prefer to be more artistic than others. I just try high-tail it out from the scene of the crime.

I just don't like it when you know your hunting buddy pooped, and you know he did because he's yelling at his turtle to get out - and then later when you stop for a break, he takes out a piece of his sandwich and offers it to you. :shock:

Yes - it's time to get this thread locked up.

limit time
10-19-2019, 08:35 PM
Hey, I have some pics of what I think is poo ?? I don’t have a computer, could I text them to someone to post ?