PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Hunter in Vancouver with rookie hunter problem advice/mentorship needed

BOBBYTHEBULL
09-17-2019, 07:25 PM
New hunter based out of Vancouver looking for guidance on here or in person (let me tag along with you). Purchased tags for white tail, black tail, and black bear enthusiastically hoping to run into any or all of the species. I have made some solo outings into the Squamish Valley and Mt Kobau near Osoyoos. Like everyone else life is busy, time is precious and I want to make sure I am at least in the general vicinity of game. I am willing to drive 2-4 hours in any direction and put the work in once there. Would anyone be as bold to give me very specific places to begin (I can hear a few of you laughing). I dont need your honey hole (ok I do) but some productive tracts of land that a fit novice hunter could stand a hope in hell in.

GPS coordinates, screen shots or google maps links, anything to help me fish where the fish are.

Many thanks in advance, please pm me if you dont feel comfortable sharing in the open forum:

Gateholio
09-17-2019, 07:52 PM
Every Forest Service Road holds promise of some sort. Better than an X on the map is learning HOW to hunt. You might want to check out PG66's app, howtohunt.com

scoutlt1
09-17-2019, 08:00 PM
BTB.... Send me a PM and maybe I can offer some info.

As Gates stated, learning how to hunt is much more important than where to hunt.

Huntingtyler123
09-17-2019, 08:10 PM
I’m relatively new in the hunting world and yes I’ve had some help( from a fantastic guy that is willing to teach the next generation and fun at it) but it’s fun just going out and learning. You can be placed in the right spot and the right time with the stars aligned and still screw up royally lol. Just need to get out and learn and observe. Hunting Squamish is one of the toughest spots to hunt, especially for black tail deer. Like me living on the north shore I’d be driving at least 3 -7hrs to get into gods country. When that day finally comes when you get your first game animal you will never forget it.

Just my amateur two cents...

albravo2
09-17-2019, 08:15 PM
Agree with Tyler that the country in Squamish is tough for blacktails. Pretty good for bear though, just glassing cut blocks. As others have said, how is more important than where. Luck is pretty helpful too;-)

Fella
09-17-2019, 08:26 PM
Just get out and do it. Go for a hike and look for tracks trails and poop then start hunting. I started hunting 7 years ago with 0 mentorship and have managed to kill something every year. Just get out there and enjoy the woods and explore.

HarryToolips
09-17-2019, 08:32 PM
I’m relatively new in the hunting world and yes I’ve had some help( from a fantastic guy that is willing to teach the next generation and fun at it) but it’s fun just going out and learning. You can be placed in the right spot and the right time with the stars aligned and still screw up royally lol. Just need to get out and learn and observe. Hunting Squamish is one of the toughest spots to hunt, especially for black tail deer. Like me living on the north shore I’d be driving at least 3 -7hrs to get into gods country. When that day finally comes when you get your first game animal you will never forget it.

Just my amateur two cents...
Very well said...as said, learn how and then discover the where's for yourself...

andrew5
09-17-2019, 09:05 PM
I only started last year and I can say that waiting for someone to show you the ins and outs can be a mistake. on the other hand, trial and error is a slow and expensive way to learn to hunt.

definitely try and tag along with people that know more than you, but if your only option is to get out and go solo, and put all that theory into action, don't think twice. get out and see what its really like.

failure is the best teacher too.

srupp
09-17-2019, 10:46 PM
Hmmmm you will never know at the start of any day how it will end, and what you will learn in the process , dont wait for the perfect day, opportunity awaits every day.start the process..keep building on your knowledge base...seek out help, experience..but get out there..its the failures we learn from..
Never be afraid to try to help..it does not diminish anyone to admit they are new and lack more than a perfect understanding of the situation or the journey
I remember my first Ambulance call..when the persons life literally depended on me...and 38 years later with all the help along the way..no one gets there alone...
Same with hunting..I had amazing mentors..Ed Gerow, Clayton Mack, Betty Franks..slowly over the decades I kept learning..and still am...I still ask questions...still have gaps in my knowledge but successes come along more than failures now adays..
I get as much satisfaction helping someone get their first animal as I do getting another one..you truly appreciate just what you know when you try and pass that knowledge on...you will know when you truly grasp the subject matter..and so will those learning..it should make sense...WHY is a fundamental question I ask myself even today on every outing..WHY? Then talk out possible solutions...its true we know more than we think we do...there are times I dont know why..thats ok..it gives me the chance to learn and improve
Keep a hunting fishing diary..record results, weather, dates..summaries...read others results..make lists for each hunt...plan..what worked ...what didn't. .plan to be successful..buy QUALITY equipment..buy once cry once...optics are #1..once you find them..most any reasonable weapon will work..schedule sufficiant time to accomplish the task..4 days for a sheep hunt are not enough lol
Practice hard..to hunt easy. .
There are no stupid questions..
Others success..in LEH..or getting an animal does not diminish you..or your chances..celebrate others victories..
When in the end what matters is did I try and make this world a better place ? Did I contribute ? Did I genuinely honestly try and help ?
You never know what kernal of learning when passed on will change someones life.
It doesn't matter if it goes around and comes back to you..that was never the reason anyhow..
If you dont make mistakes..you are not trying hard enough..challenge yourself..but be safe.
Cheers
Srupp

lakelander
09-18-2019, 08:55 AM
New hunter based out of Vancouver looking for guidance on here or in person (let me tag along with you). Purchased tags for white tail, black tail, and black bear enthusiastically hoping to run into any or all of the species. I have made some solo outings into the Squamish Valley and Mt Kobau near Osoyoos. Like everyone else life is busy, time is precious and I want to make sure I am at least in the general vicinity of game. I am willing to drive 2-4 hours in any direction and put the work in once there. Would anyone be as bold to give me very specific places to begin (I can hear a few of you laughing). I dont need your honey hole (ok I do) but some productive tracts of land that a fit novice hunter could stand a hope in hell in.

GPS coordinates, screen shots or google maps links, anything to help me fish where the fish are.

Many thanks in advance, please pm me if you dont feel comfortable sharing in the open forum:

Like others have said region 2 is a tough hunt. Thick bush and the elusive BTs are hard to find. Try region 3 as there are lots of cut blocks and open areas to glass. Mulies are easier to hunt and find than BTs. Go along any FSR around Cache Creek, Savona, etc and find some cut blocks. You will find game in these and other areas. Park and walk but you are looking at 4-5 hour drive to get into some decent areas. For WTs, I would go to region 8-14. Good luck and watch for any movement. They will be watching you!

Weatherby Fan
09-18-2019, 09:11 AM
From Vancouver you can be in area 8 or 3 within 3 hrs, deer/bear hunting opportunities are endless, for any of your hunting watch your wind and key in on first and last light, as others have said look for some cutblocks and go hunting, let you eyes do the walking with your binoculars early and late along the treelines.

coastcrickets
09-18-2019, 08:58 PM
I am also in Vancouver and have several years under my belt now. Always willing to go out for a day or a weekend. Shoot me a DM and we'll get it sorted.

Cheers

Daryl
09-18-2019, 09:40 PM
Another rookie hunter from Vancouver here. I've got an October doe draw for the Pemberton area, where I hear there's some good hunting to be done. I don't have any honey holes, but if you want some company, I've got some promising spots scouted out, with help from some other great posts on here. I'd be happy to join up with another newb for a hunt.
PM me if you might be interested!

f350ps
09-18-2019, 09:44 PM
^^^Good on you CC and Daryl, that's how ya get hunting partners! K

Daryl
09-18-2019, 10:04 PM
It's hard as a new hunter in the big city trying to find other folks to commit to joining in.
I'm not looking for someone to hold my hand as we walk through the woods, but someone to meet back at the truck or the camp after the hunt, and compare notes and experiences... and maybe help haul a deer into into the truck if we're lucky.

aamenta
09-19-2019, 07:51 AM
I had a similar experience with fishing about 5 years back. I went out and spent the money on a fly fishing setup, with all this excitement to get out and I never used it until 2 years later. Why???

For some strange reason I was intimidated to get out and fail.
the thought of going out alone with something that was new to me was very daunting.

So I let that gear sit around unused for 2 years until one day I was fishing with my new girlfriend’s family at her family cabin. We went out trolling and we had a blast. I used my spinning rod but they had fly rods out for trolling so it made think back to what I had planned 2 years prior.

once I got home I booked myself a casting class at pacific angler and I said to myself I won’t let any excuse stop me from getting out.

Nearly thst entire followint year I spent as much time as I could exploring, messing up, missing bites, catching fish and the big one, not catching anything. But I learned and learned quick, within the year I’ve made friends on the river, started to be looked at by peers for help and created a whole new life long passion.

So, what does this all have to do with your post?
dont be afraid to get out and spend money on gas to gain experience.
if I waited for someone to get out and show me it would have maybe never happened. The thought of going solo was scary at first but once you commit yourself to it that thought goes away.

Get involved in the hunting community, in time you will make friends and hunting partners.
continue to share your experience with your friends, how awsome
wouuld it be for one of your current friends to ask you for help and to learn all the beginning ropes of hunting.

anyway,
good luck this season.

Amenta

theres animals anywhere you go, you just need to slow down and observe. Key word, slow down.

Arctic Lake
09-19-2019, 08:26 AM
I had a similar experience with fishing about 5 years back. I went out and spent the money on a fly fishing setup, with all this excitement to get out and I never used it until 2 years later. Why???

the thought of going out alone with something that was new to me was very daunting.

So I let that gear sit around unused for 2 years until one day I was fishing with my new girlfriend’s family at her family cabin. We went out trolling and we had a blast. I used my spinning rod but they had fly rods out for trolling so it made think back to what I had planned 2 years prior.

once I got home I booked myself a casting class at pacific angler and I said to myself I won’t let any excuse stop me from getting out.

Nearly thst entire followint year I spent as much time as I could exploring, messing up, missing bites, catching fish and the big one, not catching anything. But I learned and learned quick, within the year I’ve made friends on the river, started to be looked at by peers for help and created a whole new life long passion.

if I waited for someone to get out and show me it would have maybe never happened. The thought of going solo was scary at first but once you commit yourself to it that thought goes away.

Get involved in the hunting community, in time you will make friends and hunting partners.
wouuld it be for one of your current friends to ask you for help and to learn all the beginning ropes of hunting.

anyway,
good luck this season.

Amenta

theres animals anywhere you go, you just need to slow down and observe. Key word, slow down.

All good advice above ! As far as Hunting goes be safe out there !
Arctic Lake

Would Rather Be Fishing
09-19-2019, 09:34 AM
Doesn't feeling of that first "nibble" on your rod (PLEASE, guys, keep it clean), even though you don't manage to set the hook, get the blood pumping? Ohhhhhh THAT'S how it feels like!

anyway,
good luck this season.

Amenta

aamenta
09-19-2019, 09:41 AM
Doesn't feeling of that first "nibble" on your rod (PLEASE, guys, keep it clean), even though you don't manage to set the hook, get the blood pumping? Ohhhhhh THAT'S how it feels like!

OHH The tug is the drug bud!

BOBBYTHEBULL
09-22-2019, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the advice so far. Will definitely be messaging those who were offering to let me join them. Region 3 and 8 are definitely within reach, I guess maybe some hints on what FSR's or how far down them might offer the best odds after putting in the 3-4 hour drive. Thanks guys

Wild one
09-22-2019, 06:05 PM
Here’s the thing there is different styles of hunter and what one hunter would decide is not worth hunting is another hunters preferred terrain to hunt. Many of my favourite locations others would drive right past. Just like many hunters target clear cuts and I avoid them completely.

My best advice is to research the species you want to hunt, the habitat they prefer, and seasonal habits. Go out explore locations that you think hold animals and let the sign/sighting tell you if it’s good. Not a single one of my best locations were found from others telling me. Honestly most locations I have heard from others were meh and often busy. Finding good habitat where others don’t go is often the best option

Or you could join the crowds in Boston bar Anderson FSR, Harrison lake area, Laidlaw FSR, Whipsaw, Clearwater, Logan lake and any of the other common locations. Yes people fill tags in these areas but most go home with nothing