PDA

View Full Version : Moose Hunting - Bonaparte area

aamenta
09-17-2019, 03:42 PM
Hey everyone,

Amenta here and I am just seeing if anyone has insight on the Bonaparte area (3-30b)
We drew the tag for any bull this year and it's almost that time.

I've put the work in on doing my research and also been hunting the area for deer the past few years however it's time to get a moose down. We've seen cows and calves but never any bulls. So I just wanted to see if anyone has some advice.

I am leaving the end of September to be ready for the opening morning Oct 1st and will hunt hard for two weeks.

Do the bulls respond well to calling in the area? I assume we'll be catching the end of the rut.

There's a few spots we have seen cows in October last year so those are go to spots this year in hopes that moose are still in the same areas.

Do I just post up on any good spot that has a good view and call?
Call for a few minutes then break for 30-40, then repeat calling for a few hours in this rotation?

Anyway, thank you for whoever can toss some insight into the area.

Hope everyone has been having a good season so far, mine is just about to start!

Amenta

wrenchhead
09-17-2019, 03:46 PM
Beginning of Oct is when they ramp right up....if you know of areas that had cows before, got these places as the bulls wont be far away.

aamenta
09-17-2019, 03:49 PM
Beginning of Oct is when they ramp right up....if you know of areas that had cows before, got these places as the bulls wont be far away.
Ok great, I figured, so that is our opening day plan.
Any thoughts on using any sort of moose call like a birch cone or one of those KC Moose Mag Call.. I've always just used my hands

andrew5
09-17-2019, 04:08 PM
I have my first draw this year too. I am definitely going to use a cone. The theory goes that you can reach out further by projecting your sound a longer distance. It would likely help even more in windy or rainy situations. think of it as being able to cover more ground without actually moving.

as I understand it, if the moose hear you and they are interested, they will make their way to you. this is wehre patience and not moving too soon / frequently comes in.

Also, I was told that listening is as important as calling.

you probably knew all that. I'm just way too excited to work and just want to talk moose all day.

best of luck.

aamenta
09-17-2019, 04:16 PM
I have my first draw this year too. I am definitely going to use a cone. The theory goes that you can reach out further by projecting your sound a longer distance. It would likely help even more in windy or rainy situations. think of it as being able to cover more ground without actually moving.

as I understand it, if the moose hear you and they are interested, they will make their way to you. this is wehre patience and not moving too soon / frequently comes in.

Also, I was told that listening is as important as calling.

you probably knew all that. I'm just way too excited to work and just want to talk moose all day.

best of luck.

Great reply, useful information just in general for anyone who's hunting moose.
This won't be my first bull, I was fortunate to shoot a spike a few years back up North but much different terrain so I'm very excited to be hunting moose closer to home!

Good luck out there Andrew!

Arctic Lake
09-17-2019, 04:35 PM
Ok great, I figured, so that is our opening day plan.
Any thoughts on using any sort of moose call like a birch cone or one of those KC Moose Mag Call.. I've always just used my hands
I used my hands at first as well and it worked but when you use a horn it amplifies the sound meaning your call carries farther . I have a birch bark call now that worked great but they don't carry them anymore . There was a fella on Craigslist or Kijiji Ontario that sold them might want to check that out. I have heard the KC fiberglass ones work but I think they are $100.00 . I have heard of fellas using bleach jugs or similar with the bottom cut out .
Arctic Lake

aamenta
09-17-2019, 04:42 PM
I used my hands at first as well and it worked but when you use a horn it amplifies the sound meaning your call carries farther . I have a birch bark call now that worked great but they don't carry them anymore . There was a fella on Craigslist or Kijiji Ontario that sold them might want to check that out. I have heard the KC fiberglass ones work but I think they are $100.00 . I have heard of fellas using bleach jugs or similar with the bottom cut out .
Arctic Lake

The KC one's are 100$.. Very pricey
I've been checking out plastic cones for a few bucks but I don't know if that will be a good sound using plastic.
Trying to find a nice birch cone but no luck yet.

Thanks for the reply Arctic!

cameron0518
09-17-2019, 04:43 PM
I don't think you will have any problems getting a bull in 2 weeks. Like it was said before, if there are cows and calves, there are bulls. They aren't very smart at the peak of the rut, as long as you are fair to good at calling, success should follow. Take a look on You Tube. Good luck.

aamenta
09-17-2019, 04:51 PM
I don't think you will have any problems getting a bull in 2 weeks. Like it was said before, if there are cows and calves, there are bulls. They aren't very smart at the peak of the rut, as long as you are fair to good at calling, success should follow. Take a look on You Tube. Good luck.

Great to hear.
That's exactly what I've been doing.

Practicing my calls!!

Hopefully i'll be back here to post my success story!
Thanks cameron!

kolofardos
09-17-2019, 05:53 PM
PM sent........

MichelD
09-17-2019, 06:09 PM
I made a cone out of a thick piece of cardboard.

Arctic Lake
09-17-2019, 07:41 PM
I made a cone out of a thick piece of cardboard.
That would work !
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
09-17-2019, 07:46 PM
Aamenta Try finding some wood veneer that you could shape into a cone . You could glue,rivet, tie it together and you would be good to go. Look up pictures of birch bark calls and get an idea from there .When you use your imagination anything is possible !
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
09-17-2019, 07:48 PM
Just found the link . I do not know the seller ! https://www.kijiji.ca/v-fishing-camping-outdoor/thunder-bay/moose-calls/1459521659?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
Arctic Lake

Frank grimes
09-17-2019, 07:49 PM
I have seen a decent number of bulls in the Bonaparte. Just a heads up though, the biggest bulls I have seen out there have been in the thickest, most blow down, swampy areas. Be prepared for a pack out.

quadrakid
09-17-2019, 09:27 PM
When you are setting up for calling take into account the wind. Bullwinkle will. And be patient ,call and hang out for hours in one spot

aamenta
09-17-2019, 09:48 PM
Thanks for all the messages and comments, moose hunting is incredible and I am learning so much from you all.

Ubertuber
09-18-2019, 07:55 AM
A large coffee tin with a hockey skate lace works well for calling. Put lace through small hole in the centre of the can, tie a knot so the lace hangs bellow. You then wet the lace and pinch lace between finger and thumb and pull down. Depending on how hard you squeeze and how fast you pull it can sound pretty good. Look online for something like "coffee can moose call" to see what I'm talking about.
If the moose you're calling is close, you can use the can to pour water onto the ground or puddle so it sounds like a moose is taking a piss.
Just another idea for you. Good luck!

wideopenthrottle
09-18-2019, 09:27 AM
The KC one's are 100$.. Very pricey
I've been checking out plastic cones for a few bucks but I don't know if that will be a good sound using plastic.
Trying to find a nice birch cone but no luck yet.

Thanks for the reply Arctic!
buddy uses a traffic cone cut off at about 12 inches (no base) and it seems to work

aamenta
09-18-2019, 09:34 AM
Going to make one out of a wood veneer or traffic cone, i'll post some pics once i've got it made.

Upearly
09-18-2019, 09:34 AM
Traffic cones work great. Cut the base off and paint it black. There are two sizes of cones but the larger ones work best. They are louder, deeper sounding and resonate more. They are damage proof (even when crushed), waterproof and will last year after year.

kitnayakwa77
09-18-2019, 11:31 AM
If you're cutting firewood, just cut an extra long piece of birch, approx 20". Split with the piece with the axe by hitting the edge or just cut bark with knife and peel off. Roll it up into a cone inside out (white side in) and use electrical tape to hold shape. Drill a bunch of holes along seam and use a shoelace to lace up. Takes 30 minutes and is easy and free. Works well!

Getbent
09-18-2019, 11:46 AM
A large coffee tin with a hockey skate lace works well for calling. Put lace through small hole in the centre of the can, tie a knot so the lace hangs bellow. You then wet the lace and pinch lace between finger and thumb and pull down. Depending on how hard you squeeze and how fast you pull it can sound pretty good. Look online for something like "coffee can moose call" to see what I'm talking about.
If the moose you're calling is close, you can use the can to pour water onto the ground or puddle so it sounds like a moose is taking a piss.
Just another idea for you. Good luck!

This has worked for me in the past as has the cutoff traffic cone...each have brought in bulls

tinhorse
09-18-2019, 12:46 PM
4 liter milk jug will work with the bottom cut off....or when they are really into it running your chainsaw will bring them in...lol

srupp
09-18-2019, 01:02 PM
Hmmm tried plastic cones, real birchbark...much prefer the kc magnum ..have one use it..tone, resonance, volume..there IS a reason Ken is the world champion moose caller...
Too much to type regarding the rut..strategies that work...tampons and moose juice..how and why..
Sent a PM..with my phone number..glad to try and help
Congrads on the draw..certainly no lack of moose in the area..
Cheers
Srupp

wideopenthrottle
09-18-2019, 01:56 PM
I have seen a decent number of bulls in the Bonaparte. Just a heads up though, the biggest bulls I have seen out there have been in the thickest, most blow down, swampy areas. Be prepared for a pack out.

same for me...have almost always seen them in the thickest patches way off the roads (also jumped them in thick stuff close to a road once or twice..have hunted MD there for many years but never for moose...last time up there (~3 years ago) saw lots of wolf tracks for the first time up on the mound

wideopenthrottle
09-18-2019, 02:02 PM
heheh on the chainsaw cuz I know it works too!!! next door neighbor was sanding some boards a few days ago that sounded so much like a cow call I had to do a double take cuz I know he doesn't hunt at all...heheheh I called back with some bull grunts but he had ear protection so I waited till he stopped and let out a few loud cow calls....a laugh and a beer later and we were both back at our respective chores...heheheh

albravo2
09-18-2019, 02:10 PM
Hmmm tried plastic cones, real birchbark...much prefer the kc magnum ..have one use it..tone, resonance, volume..there IS a reason Ken is the world champion moose caller...
Too much to type regarding the rut..strategies that work...tampons and moose juice..how and why..
Sent a PM..with my phone number..glad to try and help
Congrads on the draw..certainly no lack of moose in the area..
Cheers
Srupp

Steven, do you use it to rake branches too or just for calling? It seems about the right thickness to work on branches to me.

f350ps
09-18-2019, 02:35 PM
The big fire last year had a definite negative effect on ungulates in that area, I wish you luck! K

srupp
09-18-2019, 03:26 PM
[QUOTE=albravo2;2, do you use it to rake branches too or just for calling? It seems about the right thickness to work on branches to me.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm I do not use it to rake branches..simulating a bulls antlers..as I mostly only use cow calls..lol no antlers..
I have filled it with water to reproduce sound of cow peeing..
I use bull grunts first part of sept when the bulls are sorting out who is the boss prior to actual rut..during the rut..sept 25..to oct 20 they are looking for love..not a fight..
On a few ocasions I have spotted a bull with numerous cows I have successfully used a bull call to threaten his harem by interloper..
I have a old cow shoulder blade for raking but havnt used it in ages.l
Cheers
Srupp

quadrakid
09-18-2019, 07:19 PM
Lots of good advice, best advice would be to phone srupp

aamenta
09-18-2019, 07:25 PM
Lots of good advice, best advice would be to phone srupp

That's what I did and wow what a great call.
To those lucky enough to chat with SRupp, count your blessings.

I am looking forward to my hunt and no he did not tell me to sit here and you will shoot a bull.
It's the knowledge and experience of moose hunting that he shared and it was years of information packed into a few minutes.

Also, many of you have shared some incredible information here that will help moose hunters anywhere in the province. I may have a tag for region 3, this can be useful anywhere.

I am going into my moose hunt with much more confidence and I am excited to share my experience after the hunt to you all.
As well any of my troubles, frustrations and tips I can try to pass on.

srthomas75
09-17-2021, 05:36 PM
how did you make out on the trip?

fozzy
09-18-2021, 09:28 AM
He's probably still hunting.. "to be ready for the opening morning Oct 1st and will hunt hard for two weeks."

Fozzy

Arctic Lake
09-18-2021, 09:35 AM
Any newbies to moose hunting reading this thread learn to call , you can use your cupped hands , a birch bark horn, a KC Magnum anything to help carry your call. Be patient when calling . They can sneak in or come in busting brush . Wat h some YouTube videos . Man I wish I could have got the LEH ! Oh well there’s always next year !
Arctic Lake

sidney-hunter
09-18-2021, 12:56 PM
Agreed. Cut a large chunk of the bottom off to save weight, then loop some twine or whatever right thru it so you can sling it over ur shoulder. Indestructible, and impossible to lose.

bcsteve
09-18-2021, 01:34 PM
He's probably still hunting.. "to be ready for the opening morning Oct 1st and will hunt hard for two weeks."

Fozzy

Hopefully not, it’s a 2019 thread. ;)

Rezpatrol
09-18-2021, 02:07 PM
You can roll up a piece of stiff plastic and staple it or even take a coffee can take the lid off punch a whole in the bottom place a leather strap about a foot long with a knot it one end through the hole with knot for stopper oil the leather then slowly slide your 2 fingers down the strap it makes a perfect cow call or bull grunt for free

Rezpatrol
09-18-2021, 02:14 PM
But I hope it cools down for you moose hate hot weather

fozzy
09-18-2021, 09:20 PM
Hopefully not, it’s a 2019 thread. ;)

Silly me, I didn't see the date

Kill-da-wabbit
09-18-2021, 10:36 PM
You had better check the BC Wildfire website for prohibited areas before you go. It's only an $1150.00 fine and the current prohibition area is in effect until Oct. 15th. CO's stationed at Jaimeson Creek last night.
http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprScripts/WildfireNews/DisplayArticle.asp?Mode=normal&ID=3514

Pioneerman
09-18-2021, 11:06 PM
You had better check the BC Wildfire website for prohibited areas before you go. It's only an $1150.00 fine and the current prohibition area is in effect until Oct. 15th. CO's stationed at Jaimeson Creek last night.
http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprScripts/WildfireNews/DisplayArticle.asp?Mode=normal&ID=3514

You are responding to a two year old thread, that hunt is long gone