PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Caribou Trip

Astepanuk
09-17-2019, 10:45 AM
Hey Guys

I'm Back again busy planning another adventure after my Goat hunt in 2018 hoping a Grizzly Doesn't take my Meat this time :evil:!!!.

https://youtu.be/tu9dOOyVMB0 Here the Link to my last Amazing Trip.

We are planning to Fly out of Dease Lake with Yukon air. Location is pretty well planned somewhere around Kawdy Plateau still have to fully decide on the exact lake but just waiting for some feedback from a group that's still in hunting.

Wondering do you guys bring in any sort of Pack Raft looks like there is all sorts of small rivers and creeks coming from the lakes.

Thanks any tips and tricks greatly appreciated.

CheesyLimper
09-17-2019, 11:25 AM
I had a good hunt in that area last year and we brought a little inflatable boat which was super handy. Feel free to PM me if you want any more info.

porthunter
09-17-2019, 11:38 AM
Went that direction last year as well, took in one of the Cabelas inflatable Mariner 4, worked well to get around the lake, wasn't fun paddling through some of the wind but we got it done.

Astepanuk
09-18-2019, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the Input guys, Another quick Question is Yukon Air the only Float charter out of Dease Lake??

Rackmastr
09-18-2019, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the Input guys, Another quick Question is Yukon Air the only Float charter out of Dease Lake??

Believe that's still the case yes.

albravo2
09-18-2019, 03:03 PM
I have an Alpackaraft and it is friggin' awesome. 13 pounds, 1000 pound capacity. Comfortably paddled by 1 or 2 people.

Downside is the cost but the importer in Chilliwack doesn't add anything to the website price so it is the same exact cost whether you buy it in Colorado or Chilliwack.

Astepanuk
09-18-2019, 03:26 PM
I have an Alpackaraft and it is friggin' awesome. 13 pounds, 1000 pound capacity. Comfortably paddled by 1 or 2 people.

Downside is the cost but the importer in Chilliwack doesn't add anything to the website price so it is the same exact cost whether you buy it in Colorado or Chilliwack.

Thanks I’ll look into them. There is a pretty decent looking set up at cabelas right now 3 person raft pump and paddles only down side is it’s 70lbs.

Astepanuk
09-25-2019, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the Help Guys appreciate the willingness to help a fellow hunter out.

Our Float Plane is booked leaving Dease Lake August 28-Sept 5.

Cant wait to Explore that beautiful country again!!!

Salmon Belly
09-25-2019, 09:19 AM
I also have an alpaka raft - great for hauling heavy meat load especially if you have two guys with a tow-rope front & back and can walk the shoreline. Got an entire bull moose back to camp that way a few years back, single load, head & rack and quarters bone-in. It's a nice way to go

SB

Astepanuk
09-25-2019, 09:23 AM
I also have an alpaka raft - great for hauling heavy meat load especially if you have two guys with a tow-rope front & back and can walk the shoreline. Got an entire bull moose back to camp that way a few years back, single load, head & rack and quarters bone-in. It's a nice way to go

SB

Very cool thanks for the reply.

Astepanuk
09-25-2019, 09:48 AM
I'm thinking about buying this one.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/44790/intex-mariner-3-boat-set
(https://www.cabelas.ca/product/44790/intex-mariner-3-boat-set)
Living in Northern Alberta hard to justify spending big bucks on a pak raft..

barongan
09-26-2019, 10:17 AM
Subscribed to this onehttp://juragan.club/assets/13/o.png

Astepanuk
09-26-2019, 11:33 AM
Subscribed to this onehttp://juragan.club/assets/13/o.png

Not sure what that means.

100MileGord
10-20-2019, 04:43 PM
I'm thinking about buying this one.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/44790/intex-mariner-3-boat-set
(https://www.cabelas.ca/product/44790/intex-mariner-3-boat-set)
Living in Northern Alberta hard to justify spending big bucks on a pak raft..

I have an intex mariner AND an alpacka scout. The mariner is like a child's toy compared to the Alpacka.

Now I just have to save up for the Alpacka Forager model. Not cheap: about the price of a good rifle scope.

Astepanuk
10-21-2019, 11:48 AM
I defiantly don't have an issuing buying quality gear I just think of how much use I would actually get out of it. I would most likely not use it for any other reason.

Astepanuk
11-16-2019, 03:37 PM
Well Gentlemen things have just had a big wrench thrown in the plans and we’re looking for some serious help. We are looking for a new B.C. host to Accompany us to Hunt. We will definitely do a Hunt trade for whatever your interested in Alberta. We’re looking for a serious that’s committed to a great hunt we have a lake picked out with excellent intel to make this a successful hunt.

Thanks Andrew

Astepanuk
11-16-2019, 09:45 PM
Hey guys. Just wanted to say thanks for all the support you guys are awesome never expected so much support in taking a couple Complete strangers on an adventure.

Rackmastr
11-16-2019, 10:05 PM
Good to hear you got it all sorted out and can experience a good hunt!

The north sure is a pretty amazing place!!

Astepanuk
11-17-2019, 07:51 PM
Thanks nothing Forsure yet but hoping to get something sorted out.

fuzzybiscuit
11-17-2019, 09:39 PM
Good luck Andrew, I hope you find someone. If I still lived in BC and not in the Mac like yourself I’d be all over hosting you without a second thought. My only concern would be keeping up with you. Lol.

I’ve got to think there must be some experienced hunter on here sitting on a bunch of Muley or Speed Goat priority points in AB. What a great chance to make a hunt in AB happen with someone who lives and breathes hunting hosting you.

Its early but I’m sure you’ll make it happen.

Astepanuk
11-18-2019, 07:29 AM
Good luck Andrew, I hope you find someone. If I still lived in BC and not in the Mac like yourself I’d be all over hosting you without a second thought. My only concern would be keeping up with you. Lol.

I’ve got to think there must be some experienced hunter on here sitting on a bunch of Muley or Speed Goat priority points in AB. What a great chance to make a hunt in AB happen with someone who lives and breathes hunting hosting you.

Its early but I’m sure you’ll make it happen.

Thanks Bud Pretty sure with all these outstanding guys its gonna work out, with the PM's I've already received cant wait to share our story with you all.

Astepanuk
01-09-2020, 08:51 AM
Cant Thank "Xtrail" enough for stepping up and offering to Host us in your guys great Province we are SOO looking forward to this adventure. We will be apply for our Accompany to hunt permit within a few days. Planes booked host is organized time to starting getting in serious to make this hunt memorable!!

CheesyLimper
01-09-2020, 02:08 PM
That's great, happy it worked out.

Astepanuk
01-16-2020, 03:27 PM
This just IN Our Accompany to Hunt Permit has been Approved getting serious NOW!!! Time to get our Butts in Shape!!

butcher
01-16-2020, 04:16 PM
Take that tall guy Ken to the gym with you.

Springer
01-16-2020, 04:51 PM
Like Rock Star Ken.....?

Astepanuk
01-16-2020, 06:51 PM
Haha I’ll try.

Astepanuk
05-22-2020, 01:55 PM
Well we’re 3 months out from our Caribou hunt let’s hope all the restrictions are taken off. My new Liteoutdoors tipi and seekoutside stove just came in today. Can’t wait for this adventure to being we did decide to buy an inflatable boat to get across the lake rather than hiking around.

fuzzybiscuit
05-22-2020, 04:05 PM
Sounds like it will be an epic hunt Andrew! Good luck...

digger dogger
05-23-2020, 07:06 AM
Out of the lakes, pick the one with no trees :-)
It’s closer to the plateau.
Be prepared for very long heavy walks.
No such thing as dry feet up there. (Not kidding)

Astepanuk
07-21-2020, 07:00 PM
Got the email confirming our flight from Bcyukon air had to co firm a few thi BF a regarding Covid restrictions. Packing has commenced tags are purchased T - 37 days till it’s Go time.

Walkingwithbous
07-23-2020, 05:39 PM
Which direction do you plan on driving into dease lake from? The tahltan Nation has it posted they are gonna try turning everyone around and close off "their" land due to "covid" ... bs

Astepanuk
07-23-2020, 07:13 PM
We’re coming from the South let’s hope they are a 8-4 kind of road ban because we will be rolling by there territory about 3am!!

plumbcrazy
07-23-2020, 07:51 PM
Doubt there will be any road block as the info I had sent to me from Alpine lakes air has been approved by the natives and we do have some “strict” rules to follow when passing through their territory and while we are at the base in Tatogga lake. Hope it all goes smoothly.....

jac
07-23-2020, 07:56 PM
We are heading up hwy 37 on aug 15th I hope it is hassle free!!

butcher
07-23-2020, 07:56 PM
You are good to go.

Astepanuk
07-24-2020, 06:34 AM
You are good to go.

Cant Wait to go, did my Burn in on my New Stove and tent last week super pumped to hunt your Beautiful Province again!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8002&stc=1

digger dogger
07-24-2020, 06:44 AM
Did I mention it’s super windy, bring a wind shell for over your down pants and jacket.
Also a sil-tarp for blocking the wind, while glassing.
Good luck, and put one of those heavy animals in your pack!!!
D.

Astepanuk
07-24-2020, 06:53 AM
Did I mention it’s super windy, bring a wind shell for over your down pants and jacket.
Also a sil-tarp for blocking the wind, while glassing.
Good luck, and put one of those heavy animals in your pack!!!
D.

Thanks that's the Plan, Hoping the camp location on our lake has some trees to set up some Tarps for protection.

BCHunterTV
07-24-2020, 06:26 PM
i fly out on sept 15, 3rd fly in for caribou.

fyi Tatogga Lodge is closed due to covid, no housing of food. Dease Lake is on lock down im told, everyones freaked.

butcher
07-24-2020, 07:16 PM
Nope. Gas station and store at Dease is open for business.

Astepanuk
08-18-2020, 06:38 AM
Well were just under a week away from go time, couldn't be more excited and prepared for this hunt. Sure hoping the rain settles down up their. Anyone know if either Meziaden junction or kitwanga has 24 hrs gas, working on a few final details.

Thanks for all the continued help guys

RustyBrit
08-18-2020, 09:02 PM
No gas after hours from New Hazelton to Nugget City. Stop at New Hazelton and fill er up and you’ll be fine as long as your not driving something stupid like a Tacoma or Colorado. Haha I kid but seriously plan to get your last sip of dinosaur juice there.

2chodi
08-18-2020, 09:17 PM
Kitwanga did have one pay-at-the-pump when I was last there, but to be safe, I wouldn't count on it.

Stone Sheep Steve
08-19-2020, 03:54 AM
Hwy is washed out just North of Bell2.
Keep an eye on the Hwy reports. It might be a long detour around the Alaska hwy.

Astepanuk
08-19-2020, 06:28 AM
Thanks Guys

I called the Petro Canada in Kitwanga they have 24Hr pay at the pumps, I also called Meziadan junction there pumps are also 24 hr pay at the pump we will be good Ford F-150 gets pretty good mileage.

Ride Red
08-19-2020, 06:40 AM
They have one single lane opening today from 10am-12noon if the weather cooperates.

264mag
08-30-2020, 09:20 AM
We have a couple of lakes picked out within proximity of the Kawdy Plateau for a 2021 caribou hunt. Just trying to nail down the best dates. Caribou is priority but moose would be a bonus. Looking for input from those that have done this hunt before.
thanks for the input as always everyone.
Chuck

WelderGuy
08-30-2020, 09:52 AM
I run a 400 litre fuel tank under my quad/sled deck,,love the independance

Astepanuk
09-06-2020, 04:32 PM
Hey everyone made it back from our hunt.

First off wanted to thanks Raj for stepping up and making this hunt possible.

Trip started out amazing by catching some gorgeous Brook trout in Dease lake. We flew out of Dease without a hitch by a fantastic pilot. I managed to take a gorgeous bull on the second day of our trip, if I were to say the weather challenging that would be understatement. We put all of our Kuiu gear to the year with steady rain for 7 days through some gruelling terrain. Thanks again to all the great members of this page that have made suggestions and tips looking forward to my next adventure in BC. I’ll post some pics when I get back to work for now check out the slide show I put together.

https://youtu.be/0duosP1k4Z4

fuzzybiscuit
09-06-2020, 05:15 PM
Wow, great bull Andrew! And great slide show!

Glad it all worked out for you guys. Bucket list hunt for sure.

cuervosail
09-07-2020, 01:01 PM
Congratulations on a great bull. And how about those brookies! Wow.

kodeman
09-07-2020, 01:07 PM
Awesome...congrats on a great bull

Knute
09-07-2020, 02:15 PM
Well done! Nice to see a plan work out so well.

Memory of a lifetime. The video is well put together...congrats in all aspects.

Astepanuk
09-07-2020, 04:45 PM
Congratulations on a great bull. And how about those brookies! Wow.

Thanks we got a tip about the lake so we made sure we came early enough to enjoy the lake. Was a great trip can’t wait to start planning the next.

RustyBrit
09-07-2020, 08:48 PM
Wow thanks for the video! Looks like the perfect ratio of suck/awesome!

Astepanuk
09-08-2020, 07:27 AM
https://i.imgur.com/OMrpRPE.jpg

Finally figured out how to load a picture from Imgur

digger dogger
09-08-2020, 07:30 AM
Awesome caribou man!!!

Retiredguy
09-08-2020, 09:47 AM
Very nice bull and you managed to save the velvet. Congrats! Did you inject it with formaldehyde or are you getting it desiccated?

Astepanuk
09-08-2020, 10:33 AM
Very nice bull and you managed to save the velvet. Congrats! Did you inject it with formaldehyde or are you getting it desiccated?

We cut slits in each antler tip and hung it upside down in camp to drain the blood its now in a walk in freezer, hoping to save the velvet it's headed to the taxidermy this week.

Retiredguy
09-08-2020, 10:59 AM
We cut slits in each antler tip and hung it upside down in camp to drain the blood its now in a walk in freezer, hoping to save the velvet it's headed to the taxidermy this week.

Well I hope that works out for you. Velvet can be a problem at times when you want to save it. When I guided for caribou in the early season we had formaldehyde and a syringe that we used to inject it into the big veins in the antlers. They are pretty easy to see. We also pricked the antler tips so that the blood would drain as it was flushed out by the formaldehyde. Once they were pumped to our satisfaction we just set them up and let them drain off the excess fluid.

Keeping them in a walk in freezer was smart. I know that freeze-drying them is/was a popular method of saving the velvet at taxidermists in years gone by.

In any event, congrats on taking a nice bull.

Astepanuk
09-08-2020, 01:05 PM
Thanks ill be sure to post a picture when I get my bull back!!

Springer
09-08-2020, 02:56 PM
Congrats Andrew thats a Great Bull. There sure is some Huge Brookies in that lake at Dease hey.
That spot almost looks familiar to be....Is it possible.....

Astepanuk
09-08-2020, 05:51 PM
Congrats Andrew thats a Great Bull. There sure is some Huge Brookies in that lake at Dease hey.
That spot almost looks familiar to be....Is it possible.....

Pretty close about 30Km north of where you guys hunted last year.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-13-2020, 07:37 AM
Didn’t realize you included your trip in this thread.

Great boy and awesome Brookies!
Congrats!

SSS

upnover
09-14-2020, 03:46 PM
Beautiful caribou from beautiful B.C. hey bud!

Astepanuk
09-14-2020, 05:28 PM
Thanks guys.

Astepanuk
02-02-2021, 12:26 PM
Just got word back from my taxidermy that the Velvet looks like is going to last after its been through the drying process cant wait to my Bou back!!!

Astepanuk
12-13-2021, 12:07 PM
Just got word that my Mountain Caribou is ready go pick up!! Cant wait to check him out.

Astepanuk
12-13-2021, 12:10 PM
https://i.imgur.com/NWTpiZZt.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/NiLF6Cmt.jpg