PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight sleeping pads for sore back

twoSevenO
09-13-2019, 11:33 PM
Ive been using a thermarest for the longest time. Mine is a pro lite, 3/4 length women's model. It provides a little more thickness and is a bit smaller.

However ... I've been dealing with back problems and sleeping on it has become quite uncomfortable. I toss and turn all night and my sleep is overall terrible. My back is very very stiff in the morning. Used to be that tossing and turning was actually good for my back as it djdnt let me get settled into one position too long.

Curious if anyone else with back pain has ditched the
Standard thermarest for something else and if so what?

There are many options out there now. Almost too many to choose from. Heard good things about exped ones.

decker9
09-14-2019, 05:24 AM
I suffer from a wicked back, ever since going to the exped, no more sore back and hips. I had bought both an exped ul and the thermarest xtherm and found the exped suite me better, and not nearly as noisy. Seems the baffles going lengthwise, cradles me onto the pad quite well. Also have the schnozzel bag which was a great addition.

264mag
09-14-2019, 05:57 AM
X2 on the exped. Tad heavier than the thermarest but no issues with slow leaks and it’s quiet. I’m a side sleeper and it’s as comfortable as any bed.
I have the schnozzel as well. Not only fills the mattress quickly but also serves as a party trick and entertainment for your buddies in camp.

swampthing
09-14-2019, 08:32 AM
I have the exped downmatt 5. Certainly heavier and bulkier than the thermarest but considerably more comfortable. Warmer too.

twoSevenO
09-14-2019, 09:37 AM
You guys using the insulated exped or un?

Curious if the uninsulated ones are still ok to use in mid October?

264mag
09-14-2019, 10:29 AM
Insulated for me. I love it.

decker9
09-14-2019, 12:28 PM
Mine is uninsulated, the ul synmat, I wouldn’t think twice about using it in later season.

Iv heard the insulated ones can run into mildew issues if a person blows them up by mouth due to the moisture. Not sure how much of an issue it really is tho.

mod7rem
09-14-2019, 12:38 PM
You guys using the insulated exped or un?

Curious if the uninsulated ones are still ok to use in mid October?

I’ve been using an Exped downmat 7 for quite a while and its awesome. A big improvement over anything I’ve ever used before for warmth and comfort. I wouldn’t recommend an uninsulated mat at all. It’s the only thing separating you from the cold ground. Your compressed sleeping bag underneath you doesn’t do much.

Last year on an early Oct goat hunt the temp at night was just below zero with wet snow. My bag is a -9 C down bag and I was totally comfortable. My friends was a -18 C down bag and he had problems keeping warm. He was using a thermorest with a high R-value but no actual insulation in it. He bought an exped downmat 7 and on this years sheep hunt in similar temps and conditions he was toasty warm. Your sleeping bag is severely compromised without insulation from the cold ground.

twoSevenO
09-14-2019, 04:20 PM
I'll have to see how much weight and bulk the insulation adds. I've used the old thermarest "trail" model from the mid 2000s on snow on a November hunt when the water bottles in my tent froze overnight and I actually found it pretty good.

Of course, i was much younger and shittier conditions were much more comfortable than now. Lol.

mod7rem
09-14-2019, 05:25 PM
Ha ha, ya it’s funny how aging is making me less tolerant of discomfort.

twoSevenO
09-14-2019, 07:07 PM
Ha ha, ya it’s funny how aging is making me less tolerant of discomfort.

Absolutely. I hate to admit it, but I'm falling apart more rapidly than I'd like lol.

264mag
09-14-2019, 08:04 PM
I think a warm, comfortable, quality sleep system is overlooked by many people. Both my partners dealt with tough nights due to sleeping pad issues on our sheep hunt this year. I look at my exped mat as my luxury item.
I gained some pack weight with the exped but then reduced it by building a 6 lb (scoped) rifle.

shottyshooter
09-14-2019, 10:03 PM
My Exped has the down and the built in pump (can’t recall the model and I’m sure they’ve changed over the years) I’ve got back& neck issues and it’s been great. I also second that it has a cradling effect so you don’t slide off. I’m pretty sure the outer baffles are actually slightly taller just for that reason.

jlirot
09-20-2019, 02:23 PM
Hey guys. I'm in the market for a new pad as well. I had my last one for probably 20 years so I don't mind spending a little more for a good one. And I'd still have the old one but I think one of the kids lost it when they went to 'camp'.

I'm a side sleeper as well so this might be better than a thermarest - which kind of sucks.

Is this what you have: https://www.amazon.com/Exped-DownMat-Insulted-Sleeping-Medium/dp/B00BTO185M/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=1NWNT0J47N5C7&keywords=exped+down+mat+9&qid=1569014478&s=gateway&sprefix=exped+mat+down%2Caps%2C223&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&smid=A3UYGXDZQW9JYV&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFVWVVaSUhMT09ZUTMmZ W5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTEwMDk1NTBCWUZBNjNITklNWE4mZW5jcnl wdGVkQWRJZD1BMDY4NjQ0NTE2Q1QyVVdZNDAxMzYmd2lkZ2V0T mFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3R Mb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

swampthing
09-21-2019, 04:23 PM
Hey guys. I'm in the market for a new pad as well. I had my last one for probably 20 years so I don't mind spending a little more for a good one. And I'd still have the old one but I think one of the kids lost it when they went to 'camp'.

I'm a side sleeper as well so this might be better than a thermarest - which kind of sucks.

Is this what you have: https://www.amazon.com/Exped-DownMat-Insulted-Sleeping-Medium/dp/B00BTO185M/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=1NWNT0J47N5C7&keywords=exped+down+mat+9&qid=1569014478&s=gateway&sprefix=exped+mat+down%2Caps%2C223&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&smid=A3UYGXDZQW9JYV&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFVWVVaSUhMT09ZUTMmZ W5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTEwMDk1NTBCWUZBNjNITklNWE4mZW5jcnl wdGVkQWRJZD1BMDY4NjQ0NTE2Q1QyVVdZNDAxMzYmd2lkZ2V0T mFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3R Mb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Thats a good pad for sure. I run the "5" model for backpack use and its pretty good. That 9 should be pretty comfy and warm.

BlacktailStalker
09-22-2019, 12:50 AM
Big Agnes Q core

mod7rem
09-24-2019, 09:06 PM
I used a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core for a long time before I bought my Exped Down Mat 7. The Big Agnes was a good mat as well, but I got tired of blowing the thing up for what seemed like a half hour of dizziness, while my brother pumped up his Exped Down Mat 9 in a matter of seconds.
I found a great online sale on the 7 and made the switch.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
09-24-2019, 09:30 PM
When I was last shopping for a pad, went with Sea To Summit. They have a diverse range and make a great product. Worth a look!