PDA

View Full Version : Need some mid October hunting advice to finally get some meat

KBC
09-13-2019, 05:03 PM
So quick backstory, I've been hunting 5 years now, mostly by myself and have yet to shoot anything bigger than grouse. I love getting out there but with 2 kids at home it is getting harder and harder to keep getting out there and not have anything to show for it when I get home. The time effort and money is starting to ad up. So far this year I was away for 9 days during the archery season looking for elk. I've had a couple close calls with elk going back to last October and I think my calling is getting pretty decent. Elk are what I would prefer to hunt but at this point I need some meat.

I have the 15-21 of October off to go hunting but I might not be able to get out there until the 17th depending on my wife's work schedule. I have a tag for deer, elk, moose and bear. So here is my question;

If you needed meat in a bad way, what species would you target, how would you hunt them(stand, spot and stalk etc.) and what general area? I'm getting somewhat familiar with a place near Rock Creek so I will likely head there at this point unless I can find somewhere better and less busy.

Thanks for reading this far!

Fella
09-13-2019, 05:05 PM
Mule deer. You might be hard pressed to find a bear at that time of year

RyoTHC
09-13-2019, 05:10 PM
Mule deer. You might be hard pressed to find a bear at that time of year

on the flip side the zone i hunt in region 8 I see more bears active in and through October than any other time of year. But he’s right I’d be putting down any white tail or any mule buck on the mainland in that time.

Bugle M In
09-13-2019, 05:25 PM
MD or WT and with an "antlerless" tag, imo.
(that might draw criticism from some, but I don't give a s***, as the question was as the OP, what would be the easiest to "harvest" MEAT)!!

If you have never applied for one, you should.
Plenty of us old guys here willing to give you help in that case.
But any buck season in October in some Regions and MU's aren't that hard, if you get out, walk real slow, and hunt in the timber.

KBC
09-13-2019, 05:55 PM
I don’t have a problem shooting a WT doe. That’s why I booked that week, any buck in a lot of places, WT does, elk is open until the 20th, bear I wonder if there’s a unit with moose added on to all that.

swampthing
09-13-2019, 06:17 PM
I used to hunt rock creek years ago. A muly and a whity buck were pretty common back then if you werent picky on rack size? Are you seeing lots of deer where you hunt?

blackbart
09-13-2019, 06:55 PM
Where are you located and how far would you want to travel? What style of camp do you prefer? Lots of opportunities at that time. Any buck seasons, antlerless seasons etc

KBC
09-13-2019, 06:59 PM
I’m in Mission. Don’t mind traveling and I usually sleep in my truck. I have an atv as well if that helps.

IslandWanderer
09-13-2019, 08:55 PM
Van isle, 2 bear tags, nuff said.

white moose
09-13-2019, 09:04 PM
drive up to cache creek and hunt areas like scottie creek, deadmans valley, loon lake, jesmond area etc...
mule bucks.
whitetail does are pretty small. lol

j270wsm
09-13-2019, 09:24 PM
Too bad your so far away or I’d give you a couple of grocery bags of elk meat.

GoOutside
09-14-2019, 01:11 AM
drive up to cache creek and hunt areas like scottie creek, deadmans valley, loon lake, jesmond area etc...
mule bucks.

I think if you head out that way for your time off you'd be hard pressed not to at least have a few opportunities at some young bucks.

brian
09-14-2019, 09:15 AM
KBC I feel for you, I was in that same boat as you for a long time . Years of nothing to show for my efforts and a young family at home competing for my time and attention. I was chasing blacktails in thick brush and coming home put through the ringer. Obsession and frustration were my bed fellows. I can tell you this, hunting is a skill. The time you are putting in will pay off if you keep hunting, learning, and getting out in the bush. You just have to remind yourself why you are out there. Going solo is a tough way to learn. But soon enough you will be standing over your first kill with a sense of wonder and disbelief. My only advice is to keep at it, don't area hop if there is good sign in the places where you hunt. Use off days to explore new territory but on days to hunt places you know well. Try new things and get to know your hunting territories like they are your own backyard. It'll come together.

albravo2
09-14-2019, 09:29 AM
^^^ Brian said it really well. It is a skill. Sometimes it is luck too. Keep at it.

That said, hunting is often not an economical way to provide food for your family and it is, in many ways, a selfish pursuit that we do because we love it. My wife asked me about my August moose hunt and I said it was a 98% successful hunt. That is our code for "it was an excellent adventure that made me very happy but no animals were killed in the process". I would avoid tying a kill and meat in the freezer to the justification for why you hunt. Hunting makes me a better person and a better provider even if it isn't visible on the table.

Bugle M In
09-14-2019, 09:51 AM
mule bucks.

Take this advice^^^^
Drive just at first light for MD to get an idea where they might be.
Chances are you will eventually come into some.
If you find pockets of them, then start hunting the area to look for what you want.
In October, they could be spread out all over the place still compared to late November.

KBC
09-14-2019, 12:47 PM
KBC I feel for you, I was in that same boat as you for a long time . Years of nothing to show for my efforts and a young family at home competing for my time and attention. I was chasing blacktails in thick brush and coming home put through the ringer. Obsession and frustration were my bed fellows. I can tell you this, hunting is a skill. The time you are putting in will pay off if you keep hunting, learning, and getting out in the bush. You just have to remind yourself why you are out there. Going solo is a tough way to learn. But soon enough you will be standing over your first kill with a sense of wonder and disbelief. My only advice is to keep at it, don't area hop if there is good sign in the places where you hunt. Use off days to explore new territory but on days to hunt places you know well. Try new things and get to know your hunting territories like they are your own backyard. It'll come together.

^^^ Brian said it really well. It is a skill. Sometimes it is luck too. Keep at it.

That said, hunting is often not an economical way to provide food for your family and it is, in many ways, a selfish pursuit that we do because we love it. My wife asked me about my August moose hunt and I said it was a 98% successful hunt. That is our code for "it was an excellent adventure that made me very happy but no animals were killed in the process". I would avoid tying a kill and meat in the freezer to the justification for why you hunt. Hunting makes me a better person and a better provider even if it isn't visible on the table.

I totally agree and to be honest I think I am getting close to my first elk with all the studying, time I’ve put into learning to call and getting boots on the ground looking for them.

Hunting has has made me a better man (and a lighter one by around 60 lbs or so) and I do find it extremely valuable as an activity. I don’t necessarily believe the amount of meat I bring home is directly proportional to how successful I have or haven’t been. The issue is it would be a lot easier on my family if they knew I was at least providing a little more meat as a result of this activity I enjoy so much. I also really want to get something before I start taking my son out so I have some clue about what I’m doing start to finish.

Thanks for all the comments and advice so far, I really appreciate some of the people on here that go out of their way to help.

Fella
09-14-2019, 01:05 PM
Not to derail the thread here but how old is your son? If he’s walking it’s not early to get him out in the woods, do some short walks on some roads, show him the plants, trees etc. Bring a .22 to shoot a grouse with and show him the feathers etc. Kids love the woods and you get the bonus of spending time with your kid. Wives love it when their men take the kid out.

KBC
09-14-2019, 01:19 PM
Not a derail at all. He turns 8 next month. He already has his own single shot .22 and I had him out grouse hunting last fall. I've shot more grouse with him than without. I should have specified though, he is bugging me to take him elk, bear and deer hunting. My daughter is only a year and half but with her personality I think she might be getting out there a bit younger than he was.

albravo2
09-14-2019, 01:22 PM
KBC, my youngest just went off to college and I am hunting without one of my kids for the first time in a very long time this season. Start them young and enjoy every minute of it!

Plus, the wife will appreciate the reduced parenting load while you are gone. Not sure why, but one kid is 75% easier to manage than two.

cameron0518
09-19-2019, 06:07 PM
Trying for an elk as your first big game animal is a rough way to start. Good on you for keeping positive and continuing to try but I would take the advice given already and look for deer. Lots of spikes and two points around. I started taking my son when he was 5 months old, never too young. He hasn't missed a year yet with me.

Ron.C
09-19-2019, 06:25 PM
We hunt up around 4-25 and are heading out that way from the Island on 18 Oct for 8 days. Usually not hard to fill a whitetail tag. There is a 2 deer region limit and can take one WT buck, one WT doe, or one wt and one 4pt mule deer.

There is a GOS for spike fork moose, and black bear as well.

My buddy is bringing his 11 year old daughter onnthe hunt and hopes to get her first deer.

Send me a pm if you want and Id be happy to share some details of this area

srupp
09-19-2019, 06:42 PM
Hmmm oct 17th ?
vancouver island black bears..
Mule deer Deadman creek etc..as been accurately reported..
However..you have a moose tag ? Leh..? Mid oct ?
Some moose juice, tampons to hold the scent..go call...the rut is still on..now the younger bulls step up as the old buggers are getting weary in well doing..lol....
I still think moose hunting during the rut is the easiest hunt in BC ..imo
Those would be my go to animals for meat.
Cheers
Steven

white moose
09-19-2019, 06:49 PM
Rent a cabin up at loon lake. Some decent spots close and any direction within an hour. Bring some extra fuel and stop around any of the many logging blocks. Get out walk around. They are there. Its a fairly economical hunt

KBC
09-20-2019, 06:42 PM
We hunt up around 4-25 and are heading out that way from the Island on 18 Oct for 8 days. Usually not hard to fill a whitetail tag. There is a 2 deer region limit and can take one WT buck, one WT doe, or one wt and one 4pt mule deer.

There is a GOS for spike fork moose, and black bear as well.

My buddy is bringing his 11 year old daughter onnthe hunt and hopes to get her first deer.

Send me a pm if you want and Id be happy to share some details of this area

Thanks for the offer Ron, I will send a PM after the little ones are asleep.

Hmmm oct 17th ?
vancouver island black bears..
Mule deer Deadman creek etc..as been accurately reported..
However..you have a moose tag ? Leh..? Mid oct ?
Some moose juice, tampons to hold the scent..go call...the rut is still on..now the younger bulls step up as the old buggers are getting weary in well doing..lol....
I still think moose hunting during the rut is the easiest hunt in BC ..imo
Those would be my go to animals for meat.
Cheers
Steven

Any good resources to learn to call moose? I've used elk101 and the elk nut app to learn how to call elk. Anything similar for moose? I might send you a PM as well since you seem to be such a nice fellow to a lot of guys on here.

Rent a cabin up at loon lake. Some decent spots close and any direction within an hour. Bring some extra fuel and stop around any of the many logging blocks. Get out walk around. They are there. Its a fairly economical hunt

A couple years back I got invited to go with a friend from work. Because of the fires they weren't going to go to the usual secret spot around loon lake. After I had been invited they changed their mind and decided to go to the secret spot but I was already invited so I was allowed to come. They were renting cabins at the White moose resort haha.

My father-in-law was in the hospital at the time and I was on the fence about going thinking I should stay home to support my wife and family. The day before I was to leave he started to show some good signs of improvement so I felt better about going and my wife seemed to think it would be ok to go. The next day I packed up and headed out a bit late. Made it to Cache creek and got a text that things had taken a turn for the worse. Grabbed a burger at A&W and headed back home. He passed away a couple days later (on my wedding anniversary that my wife was ok I was missing to go hunting) I obviously don't regret turning around, some things are far more important than hunting but since he had been in failing health for awhile and we were prepared for it we have all had a good laugh at the timing.

I think I have a pretty funny bad luck story from each year I've been out so far. It's pretty funny to look back and remember what's happened and ask myself WTF am I still at it for hahaha. I must be a sucker for punishment. ;-)

lakelander
09-23-2019, 08:53 AM

Well said!

elch jager
09-23-2019, 11:16 AM
I'd suggest putting the bow aside until you put some meat in the freezer...

There are still WT doe GOS in a few wmu's - they would not open it if there wasn't a surplus.

4-1 to 4-9, 4-14 to 4-40 Antlerless Oct 10 - Oct 31

Fella
09-23-2019, 11:24 AM
KBC- moose calling isn’t hard, stub your toe and have someone kick you in the groin at the same time. That sound you make? That’s a cow moose.

Golddust
09-23-2019, 11:49 AM
KBC- moose calling isn’t hard, stub your toe and have someone kick you in the groin at the same time. That sound you make? That’s a cow moose.

Hahaha gave me a good chuckle.

To add to this, if you go youtube everyone's call is quite different and they all seem to bring moose in.

From my minimal experience of 7 years but only a few trips between me and my small group of relatively new hunters I've seen the most animals been taking by pounding logging roads looking for moose.
Not the most cost or time effective though, especially considering the drive up north. Not too enjoyable either... but it has given us some results

J_T
09-23-2019, 12:25 PM
I'd suggest putting the bow aside until you put some meat in the freezer...

There are still WT doe GOS in a few wmu's - they would not open it if there wasn't a surplus.

4-1 to 4-9, 4-14 to 4-40 Antlerless Oct 10 - Oct 31
I would suggest otherwise. The bow provides much more opportunity to harvest. It forces a hunter to pursue animals differently and it produces results. To the OP, if you are interested in adjusting your technique to bow, let me know.
There is no 'surplus' of WT in R4. And, they would be removing the doe harvest if there was no threat of CWD. Another reactive decision from Government.

Would Rather Be Fishing
09-23-2019, 12:44 PM

OMG that's funny

KBC
09-23-2019, 01:41 PM
I love guns but the archery bug has bitten hard. I originally got into it looking to expand my opportunities but to be honest if I was going to go to the range to shoot either just for fun I will probably pick up the bow most times.

I dont see putting away either method though.

Thanks for all the advice so far. I really appreciate it.

KBC
10-18-2019, 11:23 AM
Well I finally got my first deer. A decent sized WT doe this morning around 8:00.

jan.wi97
10-18-2019, 11:47 AM
Congratulations!!! Post up some pictures?

bottles
10-18-2019, 12:06 PM
Glad to hear it!

RyoTHC
10-18-2019, 12:46 PM
MD or WT and with an "antlerless" tag, imo.
(that might draw criticism from some, but I don't give a s***, as the question was as the OP, what would be the easiest to "harvest" MEAT)!!

If you have never applied for one, you should.
Plenty of us old guys here willing to give you help in that case.
But any buck season in October in some Regions and MU's aren't that hard, if you get out, walk real slow, and hunt in the timber.

Pffft, I happily put down a nice fat white tail doe each year and will continue to do so, no better table fare ! And it allows me to be picky with my buck tags. Already walked past multiple 3 and 4pts this month that wouldn’t have lived to spread their seed if I needed the meat !

anyone who’s against shooting does should take a look at the US where you HAVE to harvest does to get a buck tag...

I can understand not harvesting mule does due to population but whitetails spread like the plague !

Bugle M In
10-18-2019, 03:28 PM
Well I finally got my first deer. A decent sized WT doe this morning around 8:00.

Pics, or it didn't happen:wink:.
Congrats by the way!!

markm7
10-18-2019, 03:30 PM
Best advice .......... don’t hunt mid October

Sil3n2
10-18-2019, 11:39 PM
mule bucks.

I believe you can't use your quad in the Loon lake/Deadman area and the deer numbers are down there from what i've noticed in the last 2 years. Worth checking out I guess but not like it used to be in that area. If you are in the Kamloops area, and want a to head up that way hit me up, I can point you in the right direction.

Redthies
10-19-2019, 06:15 AM

Congrats! Fill us in on the where and how! And pics are good too of course...

KBC
10-19-2019, 06:27 AM
Thanks guys. Made it home last night, now back in hockey parent mode. My son has hockey 4 times Saturday to Monday. I’ll put up a bit of a story about it sometime this weekend.

dustycool
10-19-2019, 01:00 PM
I think I have a pretty funny bad luck story from each year I've been out so far. It's pretty funny to look back and remember what's happened and ask myself WTF am I still at it for hahaha. I must be a sucker for punishment. ;-)

Haha. I asked myself that same question many times in my first few years before connecting with an animal. But, that’s hunting, and sometimes I still ask it at the end of “unsuccessful” hunts. Glad to hear you got your deer. Well done! Enjoy sharing it with your family.

My recommendation for a meat hunt next year is spring bear. Available anywhere in the province, easy to spot, and alot less skittish than deer. Plus it’s my favourite eating.

Conch
10-22-2019, 10:38 PM
mule bucks.

Are there any spots to camp up Scottie Creek. We are heading that way in November and wondering how far we’d have to go to find a spot for the hunting trailer that’s decently close to water. A meatpole already hung is always a bonus too 😂

white moose
10-23-2019, 08:40 PM
I havent been up scottie creek since the fire. Maybe someone else can chime in. The road can be shitty up there in November. You could always try the road just passed twenty mile, by the old rest area. I think they call it heart ridge. How big is the trailer?