PDA

View Full Version : 80 bucks for a grizzly tag?????

BIGHUNTERFISH
09-28-2007, 03:18 PM
B.C has a strong grizzly population at the moment and the govt is trying to recruit new hunters and fill more allocations for leh Grizz,so my question is ,dont you think 80 bucks is a little steep for a grizzly tag?And isnt it time to have a general open season in some areas for grizzly.I know if I shot one big grizzly that i would probably never want to shoot another one so how about a once in a lifetime tag.What do you think?

todbartell
09-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Id love to hunt grizzly every spring until I can no longer do it, you want to limit me to one tag in my life? The mountains in May and June are too nice of a place to be to only experience that once with a rifle in my hands.

Wildman
09-28-2007, 03:50 PM
Id love to hunt grizzly every spring until I can no longer do it, you want to limit me to one tag in my life? The mountains in May and June are too nice of a place to be to only experience that once with a rifle in my hands.

I'm in agreement. I would not want to be limited to one grizz.

Jetboat
09-28-2007, 03:55 PM
Sell grizz tags over the counter like they've always done before all this political BS. Wasn't a shortage of bears then and there's not a shortage of bears now.

Mr. Dean
09-28-2007, 03:56 PM
I'd pay 500 bucks for a GOS G-Bear tag.

ANYTHING would be better than the &%$#@** LEH system that we have now. :evil:

BIGHUNTERFISH
09-28-2007, 03:57 PM
So with the current leh draws ,how many draws are you going to get in a lifetime ,and how many are going to be close to you house in a productive area.Todd how much grizzly hunting have you done in the last 8 years with the current regs. I would rather have onelifetime tag for all of B.C and hunt for many years before I pull the trigger on my dream bear,how many grizzly hides does a guy need.?

Stone Sheep Steve
09-28-2007, 04:02 PM
If someone gets drawn for a grizzly tag they already know what the tag costs and they're going to buy one if they actually plan on hunting. I don't think cost is an issue with LEH..........on the other hand, if they had a GOS how many would pick up a tag at.......... say..... $150??? Or $500 as MR Dean (tongue and cheek) suggests?????

Recruitment of hunters usually doesn't focus on grizzlies as a target species for newbies. Let's give them something else to warm up on first:).

SSS

Gateholio
09-28-2007, 04:04 PM
I don't htink $80 is outrageous. It's cheap, cheap, cheap, actually....

. I would rather have onelifetime tag for all of B.C and hunt for many years before I pull the trigger on my dream bear,how many grizzly hides does a guy need.?

I odn't want to be limited to one Grizzly either, and I don't care how many hides you have, my desires may be different than yours.

Grizzly hunting is FUN. I would prefer to experience it as many times as I can, and harvest as many as I feel is necessary to me. You are free to limit yourself to one if you choose, of course.:wink:

Stone Sheep Steve
09-28-2007, 04:09 PM
So with the current leh draws ,how many draws are you going to get in a lifetime ,and how many are going to be close to you house in a productive area.Todd how much grizzly hunting have you done in the last 8 years with the current regs. I would rather have onelifetime tag for all of B.C and hunt for many years before I pull the trigger on my dream bear,how many grizzly hides does a guy need.?

So what happens the first year when everyone buys a tag and aren't as fussy as you are???
"I'd better shoot one now before everyone else does". I don't think we want to head down that road.

If I take a good grizzly I may want to make a rug and if I'm fortunate to draw another tag I may get really fussy and end up wanting to life-size it.

I've been drawn three times and have been on two other hunts with friends. As TB says ...it's an awesome time of year to be out!
It's fun just getting out and seeing some bears!!:cool:

SSS

BIGHUNTERFISH
09-28-2007, 04:11 PM
With the current leh process ,how can you experience hunting grizzlies a lot???And my question was ,if some people feel that 80 dollars is a lot would't that deter them from even bothering to apply.And why would the tags be any more expensive if they had GOS ,wouldnt they be selling a hell of a lot more tags?

Mr. Dean
09-28-2007, 04:16 PM
500 as MR Dean (tongue and cheek) suggests?????

I'm serious... I would

really!

In a heart-beat!!!

Will
09-28-2007, 05:50 PM
The cost of the Tag is most likely a mute point....
Nobody buys one till they see thier Draw results anyways.

Considering the time and effort most have or would put into a Grizz hunt...the 80 dollar tag is pretty cheap all things considered.

1 Grizz in a Lifetime ? I'd settle for 1 Leh draw in my lifetime.........:-?

todbartell
09-28-2007, 06:25 PM
So with the current leh draws ,how many draws are you going to get in a lifetime ,and how many are going to be close to you house in a productive area

odds for most hunts are in the 4:1-7:1 range (*similar to alot of moose hunts*), so assuming an average of 5.5:1 odds, the average hunter will get drawn about seven times between age 20 & 60. Where you live means little about where to put in for the hunt, there's plenty of guys who travel great distances for a hunt.

Todd how much grizzly hunting have you done in the last 8 years with the current regs.this past spring was the first time I applied for grizzly LEH and I was able to get a draw. IIRC odds were around 2:1. I didnt hunt them previously because none of my hunting partners were interested in hunting spring bear, but I recently began hunting with some guys who do like to do that, and they invited me to hunt with them. I'm hooked now, it was great fun.

I would rather have onelifetime tag for all of B.C and hunt for many years before I pull the trigger on my dream bear,how many grizzly hides does a guy need.?Once in a lifetime to me means, one chance to hunt a bear. How many grizz hides does a guy need? Probably same amount of sheep horns, mulie antlers, calf moose steaks, and goose bands. Who made you the possible police? :roll:

I am going moose hunting for three days, so I got better things to be doing than arguing with an antihunter about grizzly hunting. see ya

BIGHUNTERFISH
09-28-2007, 07:44 PM
Hey Dude, I come from 3 generations of hunters my father has owned four guiding outfits and your calling me an anti hunter ,wake up .I just gave an opinion and basicaaly was saying if I shoot a big bear then how many hides do ''I'' need.I never said it was wrong for anyone to hunt grizzlies or even argued the point .I think there are some flaws with the leh allocations whats wrong with that ,before you start calling people names get you facts straight.:evil:

Gateholio
09-28-2007, 07:47 PM
With the current leh process ,how can you experience hunting grizzlies a lot???And my question was ,if some people feel that 80 dollars is a lot would't that deter them from even bothering to apply.And why would the tags be any more expensive if they had GOS ,wouldnt they be selling a hell of a lot more tags?

Most people that hunt grizzlies intend to spend $1000 or more getting a rug made, and several hundred on fuel and supplies etc, so I don't see why the $80 tag woudl be a deterrent.

Like I have said before, hunters always complain about how much tags and ammo costs, never about how much thier 4x4, ATV, camo clothes or beer costs.:mrgreen:

BIGHUNTERFISH
09-28-2007, 07:47 PM
And Bartell you are a total hypocrite ,you post on threads the reason I dont hunt blackbears is because I dont eat them,so do you have a fond taste for grizzly meat?

todbartell
09-28-2007, 07:57 PM
hypocrite? where did I say I wouldnt want a grizzly rug?

BIGHUNTERFISH
09-28-2007, 08:05 PM
Where did I say I am an anti hunter,I have over 20 mounted animals and 12 rifles downstairs ,hunting is my favourite sport,my whole family hunts.I am just more into hunting animals I can eat now,I would love to shoot a monster grizzly and I feel if I did so I would be content with the one bear.What you and others do is your buisness just dont put me down for my opinion.

Will
09-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Like I have said before, hunters always complain about how much tags and ammo costs, never about how much thier 4x4, ATV, camo clothes or beer costs.:mrgreen:
Let me oblige.......

Licenses tags and such = $150 bucks/min
Rifle Scope and ammo = $1,500
Gas Guzzling 4x4 Truck = $40,000
Quad to get where the truck can't = $10,000

Scoring and Bagging a Trophy Muley & getting a hundred pounds of Rutted up stinky Buck Meat =........

Priceless.......:???:

alremkin
09-28-2007, 08:43 PM
Hm, well I'll come at this from a slightly different angle: I'd sooner see a trophy fee than have to pay for a tag to hunt griz. Paying the trophy fees could vary in each Management Unit. It would allow someone to shoot a nuisance bear and then simply pay the Trophy Fee.

Back in '04 I went hunting with an outfitter in 7-50 100 miles west of Fort Nelson and then a 10 mile horseback ride into the bush. In the 21 days I was there we 5 different griz within 100m of camp. This caused me to buy a 416 and a 338/378. I felt I needed a heavy gun and a pack of dogs just to go to the outhouse, lol. Consequently, I believe there should be some changes in the griz regs. This is my $0.02.

BCLongshot
09-28-2007, 09:16 PM
Ya TB 4 sure there are places where you'll get a draw but your not going to be a lazyass to get into some of these areas.

I'm going to hunt these until I can't anymore. This province kick ass !!!!

My cute little woman wants 12 bear rugs, a bear throw for each couch and I have 6, 1 for the bed a coat for church..........1 for each of the sammys to sleep on.

Gateholio
09-28-2007, 10:12 PM
Hm, well I'll come at this from a slightly different angle: I'd sooner see a trophy fee than have to pay for a tag to hunt griz. Paying the trophy fees could vary in each Management Unit. It would allow someone to shoot a nuisance bear and then simply pay the Trophy Fee.

I'd expect we woudl see many "nuisance" trophy size grizzlies shot...;-)

BigD
09-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Why shoot it once you seen it. If you are a real man go kick it in the ass. My old man did that once up at Babine lake but then my uncle had to shoot the animal for no good reason. they are both stupid sons of B's. We could never figure out why Americans would come up there to shoot bears.

Tron
09-28-2007, 10:38 PM

Just out of curiosity. What do would you do with a grizz every year. Ive never heard of people eating grizz and thats alot of rugs. Im not critisizing this is new to me and am just curious. thanks.

todbartell
09-28-2007, 10:45 PM
I didnt say I would kill a grizzly every year, did I

the cool clean air, mountain streams, blooming flowers, warm sun, is what would make me want to be out there every year. Im sure alot of other guys on this site would be just as happy as I would be, out hunting, rather than sitting in their computer chair talking about it on this site

BIGHUNTERFISH
09-28-2007, 10:52 PM
I didnt say I would kill a grizzly every year, did I

the cool clean air, mountain streams, blooming flowers, warm sun, is what would make me want to be out there every year. Im sure alot of other guys on this site would be just as happy as I would be, out hunting, rather than sitting in their computer chair talking about it on this site

Well whats stopping you from experiencing this every spring,black bears are open,oh yeah you dont eat bear meat ,so donate the meat.:?: And when I said once in a life time tag I meant you hunt till you kill a grizzly if you dont pull the trigger for 20 years it gives you 20 years to hunt grizz.

Tron
09-28-2007, 10:56 PM
I agree with you Tod. Being out in the wild hunting is the one thing I look forward to every year now. Ive only been hunting for 3 years but my dad is in the forest industry and the wild is my life and that is were i feel at home.

todbartell
09-28-2007, 11:09 PM
Well whats stopping you from experiencing this every spring,black bears are open,oh yeah you dont eat bear meat ,so donate the meat.:?: And when I said once in a life time tag I meant you hunt till you kill a grizzly if you dont pull the trigger for 20 years it gives you 20 years to hunt grizz.

hunting black bears, and grizzly, just isnt the same experience, IMO. I could experience nature by skipping down a mountain meadow wearing a lil bo peep costume too, but Id rather be hunting bear, and I will kill black bears again, I bought a tag back in April and was tempted by a nice boar last weekend

your mileage may vary, good luck with your quest for one bear per lifetime, Im goin hunting

Gateholio
09-28-2007, 11:22 PM

Hunting black bears is alot of fun

Hunting grizzlies is also fun, but much different.

Most guys won't hunt for 20 years to pull the trigger. Quite frankly that is simply ridiculous.

Most BC hunters will ever hunt grizzlies. Some will hunt them and find that it gets into thier blood, and it is addictive. I've never drawn a grizzly tag, but I've hunted for them a couple of times now, and it is an experience I dont' want to end. And if I got atag, and kiled one, I'd want more/.

Why don't we ask "who needs more than one 4 pt" or who needs more than one 6x6 elk? Who needs more than one coyote? You dont' eat them!!" etc etc...

BIGHUNTERFISH
09-28-2007, 11:49 PM
Most guys won't hunt for 20 years to pull the trigger. Quite frankly that is simply ridiculous

Gatehouse correct me if I am wrong but you have probably hunted for at least 20 years and your buddy TB at least 10 ,how many grizzlies have you guys shot between the two of you?A grizzly hunt is not an easy slam dunk ,along with a full curl sheep it is probably the hardest tag to fill.So there are guys that go a lifetime without shooting a trophy size bear.And to compare shooting a grizzly for the hide in relation to shooting an elk moose and deer that you can eat ,in my mind is quite frankly ridiculous.I would venture to say probably 80 percent of the guys on this forum have never shot a Grizz,but I would appreciate it if you and Todd could post up some pictures of the grizzlies you guys have taken.

todbartell
09-28-2007, 11:54 PM
the number of G bears I have shot is meaningless to this topic

the topic is overpriced grizzly tags, your want for a GOS, and a once in a lifetime trophy fee, then twiddling of thumbs for the rest of our life, as we sit and gaze at our G bear rug

that aint gonna fly with me, put me down for a NO vote

Mr. Dean
09-29-2007, 12:08 AM
I hope that something changes. The way it is now, I'll never get a chance to hunt them. The LEH system isn't feasible for me.

:idea: - What would one tag cost if aquired from an outfitter (tag only; no services)?

Is that even possible??

todbartell
09-29-2007, 12:11 AM
ask Willy442, he could tie one to a fencepost on a farm in 7B :lol: meat would be awesome too

Gateholio
09-29-2007, 12:20 AM
[QUOTE=BIGHUNTERFISH;189646]Most guys won't hunt for 20 years to pull the trigger. Quite frankly that is simply ridiculous

Gatehouse correct me if I am wrong but you have probably hunted for at least 20 years and your buddy TB at least 10 ,how many grizzlies have you guys shot between the two of you?

Yes, you are wrong.

However, i have stated already that I have never been drawn for agrizz tag,a nd TB said he applied once and got a tag.

A grizzly hunt is not an easy slam dunk ,along with a full curl sheep it is probably the hardest tag to fill.So there are guys that go a lifetime without shooting a trophy size bear

yes....and your point?

.And to compare shooting a grizzly for the hide in relation to shooting an elk moose and deer that you can eat ,in my mind is quite frankly ridiculous.

Fine, compare it to a coyote or a wolf or a cougar. Shoudl we limit people on how many they kill based on human consumption:?

Then again, I we can compare it to "meat" animals, as well. A good grizzly hide could probably be sold and he coudl use that money to purchase more meat than any elk or deer would provide....If it is all about "utilization?'

I would venture to say probably 80 percent of the guys on this forum have never shot a Grizz,but I would appreciate it if you and Todd could post up some pictures of the grizzlies you guys have taken.

Again, never had a tag, but I have posted up pics of a sucessful grizz hunt I was on..I spotted the grizz, we stalked it and my buddy made a perfect shot, I followed up wiht a pelvis shot, and we got some nice pics, too.:-)

Now, if I decided to get real serious about it, I woudl apply to low odds areas, and take the time and spend the money to get to those areas, as many grizz tags are undersubscribed.

Of course, this has zero to do with a $80 tag being "too expensive" or your obtuse idea that we should only be allowed to kill one grizzly in our lifetime...

FLHTCUI
09-29-2007, 06:27 AM
B.C has a strong grizzly population at the moment and the govt is trying to recruit new hunters and fill more allocations for leh Grizz,so my question is ,dont you think 80 bucks is a little steep for a grizzly tag?

It isnt about the recruitment of hunters , its all about Raising More Tax Revenue for El Gordo and his cronies to spend on Pet Projects.
And $80.00 is cheap to go and hunt a Worthy Predator as the Grizzly Bear.
Be it a Coastal Grizzly or an Inland G-Bear , if you ahv any concerns about the coast of hunting in BC, look at other Provinces or US STate Lic. to see what it costs for a Non -Resident to shoot one of their game animals.
Just my .02 Canadian this fine morning.
Stay Safe and Be n the Lool Out for anyone that may need a hand in the Bush.
Rob

BIGHUNTERFISH
09-29-2007, 09:37 AM
If it was a choice to leave the current Leh system in place for grizzlies,or to be able to hunt anywhere in B.C for as long as I want until I shoot my grizzly,then I would take the latter,it would give me the opportuinty to get to know certain areas intimately ,and to be very selective.Imagine if you get drawn for a good area and the snow conditions make it hard or impossible to hunt but you manage to see one huge grizz on your last day of the hunt but cant get within shooting distance.Now you have a possible 7 year wait to hunt this area again,or with the other alternative you would be able to target this bear again next year,I know what my vote would be.And to put animals such as coyotes ,wolves ,etc in the same category as a grizzly is a joke,those predators are a dime a dozen ,the grizz is an animal to be respected.

Will
09-29-2007, 09:51 AM
And to put animals such as coyotes ,wolves ,etc in the same category as a grizzly is a joke,those predators are a dime a dozen ,the grizz is an animal to be respected.
I don't "Value" one animal any more then another........they ALL are "Respected" by me.
Sure some abit more then others but all are "respected" none the less:wink:

FWIW: I've been putting in for a Spring Grizz LEH for over a decade now.......someday perhaps ? :(

BIGHUNTERFISH
09-29-2007, 09:59 AM
I don't "Value" one animal any more then another........they ALL are "Respected" by me.
Sure some abit more then others but all are "respected" none the less:wink:

FWIW: I've been putting in for a Spring Grizz LEH for over a decade now.......someday perhaps ? :(

In terms of respect where would a oppusom,rat,gopher,or mole rate on your scale?I have no respect for these critters,and there animals anyways have a great day I am going chicken hunting with my four year old daughter.:roll:

Will
09-29-2007, 10:12 AM
In terms of respect where would a oppusom,rat,gopher,or mole rate on your scale?
I respect ALL critters equally...people to !
Until of course they do something to lose that...:wink:

Best of Luck with the Chickens !

kgriz
09-29-2007, 10:44 AM
In the past 8 years, between my dad, uncle and myself have been drawn in good areas 6 times and harvested 4 bears; there are plenty of good areas with low odds especially in the spring. Most of the really high odds are in the fall at times when people want to combo hunt for them. I've also taken a bear in the last year that it was open and I saw way fewer serious griz hunters then than now. I think that back when it was open, some people bought tags in the hopes of seeing an incidental bear while hunting for other species and success rates were lower probably because most people didn't want to shell out the $ for a "just in case". Now, when people go through the effort of choosing a specific draw area and then winning their tag they more often than not go and put in a concentrated effort on G-bears not moose etc. I have a feeling that if the bears went open again, after the first initial rush, bear harvest would go down to at least what it is now. Open season would be especially handy up by Fort Nelson where people's elk seem to be taken away by bears at an alarming rate. If one could legally tag these dangerous problem bears, maybe there would be less confrontation and the possible "shoot and shut-up" consequence. Also maybe we wouldn't have the cost of CO's having to shoo Griz out of major centers like PG at the taxpayers expense.

smeegle
09-29-2007, 10:50 AM
im all for hunting but personally i dont think we should be hunting the grizzly, most people who hunt them dont even eat them so they essentially trophy hunting which im not a big fan of ...... and if they are going t allow hunting of this animal they should tax the shit out of it and make it really expensive so as to generate more revenue

those are just my thoughts

Gateholio
09-29-2007, 10:59 AM
[quote=BIGHUNTERFISH;189715]If it was a choice to leave the current Leh system in place for grizzlies,or to be able to hunt anywhere in B.C for as long as I want until I shoot my grizzly,then I would take the latter,it would give me the opportuinty to get to know certain areas intimately ,and to be very selective.

Good idea...lets change the WHOLE system, so BHF can hunt the way he wants to , and be very selective. Forget that others may or may not wantt o be as selective. Also, everyone that hunts grizzlies shoudl become experts in fiedl judging the bears, since you only get one opportunity.

And to put animals such as coyotes ,wolves ,etc in the same category as a grizzly is a joke,those predators are a dime a dozen ,the grizz is an animal to be respected

You brought up that the grizzly shoud not be compared to an animal you can eat, so I suggested other animals not normally eaten. Now it's about "respect?"

Sure, a mature grizzly is a majestic creature, but so too is a mature wolf or cougar. Also, you fall in to the trap that bear hunt banners fall into- You put one animal up on a pedastal over the rest. A grizzly is an animal, no more, no less. The "dime a dozen" wolf (or for that matter gopher) values his life every bit as much as the grizzly.

Puttiing one aniumal on a pedastal is a bad road to follow. First we put up grizzlies, so we stop hunting them. Then black bears, then wolves....What is the next "important" animal?

Gateholio
09-29-2007, 11:01 AM
im all for hunting but personally i dont think we should be hunting the grizzly, most people who hunt them dont even eat them so they essentially trophy hunting which im not a big fan of ...... and if they are going t allow hunting of this animal they should tax the shit out of it and make it really expensive so as to generate more revenue

those are just my thoughts

Do you have any background information to qualify your opinions that we shoudl not allow and/or heavily "tax" grizzly bear hunting? Or is it just that you *personally* dont' wish to take part in it, and therefore others shoudl not either?

Gateholio
09-29-2007, 11:03 AM
In the past 8 years, between my dad, uncle and myself have been drawn in good areas 6 times and harvested 4 bears; there are plenty of good areas with low odds especially in the spring. Most of the really high odds are in the fall at times when people want to combo hunt for them. I've also taken a bear in the last year that it was open and I saw way fewer serious griz hunters then than now. I think that back when it was open, some people bought tags in the hopes of seeing an incidental bear while hunting for other species and success rates were lower probably because most people didn't want to shell out the $ for a "just in case". Now, when people go through the effort of choosing a specific draw area and then winning their tag they more often than not go and put in a concentrated effort on G-bears not moose etc. I have a feeling that if the bears went open again, after the first initial rush, bear harvest would go down to at least what it is now. Open season would be especially handy up by Fort Nelson where people's elk seem to be taken away by bears at an alarming rate. If one could legally tag these dangerous problem bears, maybe there would be less confrontation and the possible "shoot and shut-up" consequence. Also maybe we wouldn't have the cost of CO's having to shoo Griz out of major centers like PG at the taxpayers expense.

Very interesting insight, and I still love your avatar!:grin:

butcher
09-29-2007, 11:05 AM
Smeegle that is about the most ignorant statement I have ever read on this site. I think they should tax the shit out of meat hunters. That would generate waaaay more revenue.

Mr. Dean
09-29-2007, 11:31 AM
I find it ironic that because there's on over abundace of some animals,,, some people have no respect for them. I know of peole that would deem a Blk Bear as being on the same level as a roach or a rat.

I've hunted yote's before. They've earned my respect...

oop's - Thats off topic also. Sorry.

I'll try to be better. Promise.

BHF;

I find that the lotto system excludes my particapating of it. I'd LOVE to go G-Bear hunting but I don't think that I could endorse what you're proposing either.

I see no benefit for a LEGOS system (Limited Entry General Open Season).

I cast my vote that the animals on LEH be made available to the residences of the Province, Canada, then foreigners.

In that order.

To agree to anything less (IMO) is the selling out of a resource that rightfully belongs to us.

I know that there are others out there that don't agree with that statement but it is how I feel. So far there hasn't been any argument from the 'other' side that has changed my view on this.

On the flip-side of that coin; IF the LEH is being used as a conservation measure (low #'s of Bears) then I'd also vote for the entire closure of the hunts. Prolonging the rebuilding of a species and only making it availabe to a select few that can play within the confines of the LEH and the mighty rich (GO industry) is little less than a slap in my face.

%#*&, is this off topic also?

Mr. Dean
09-29-2007, 11:34 AM

Agree'd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GoatGuy
09-29-2007, 01:47 PM
I go grizz hunting every year, sometimes both fall and spring but atleast one season every year. We put in for areas that are usually less than 2:1 and we see grizzlies every time.

It's fun and they taste good. :-P

$80 bucks is a bit steep for sure and probably turns a lot of people off once they get drawn. Kozakgriz is pretty much bang on with the comments.

Most hunters don't know what a "mature" grizz looks like and most often the first bear they run into gets smoked - it's about the hunt not about the trophy.

Byson
09-29-2007, 02:04 PM
I got a draw for Grizz and i was up in McBride and didn't see one going back up october longweekend and maybe Smash one my tag cost 84 bucks i just want the experience, make a nice rug and do a few things with the meat.

BlacktailStalker
09-29-2007, 02:14 PM
Think about what people pay to go on a trip to some ritzy 4-5 star joint in the tropics...
I'd gladly pay half that to shoot one of those big buggers that put my hair on end while being woofed at in the bush with just a bow in hand :)
Like others have said, its also just another reason to be in the hills at a great time of year.

badbrass
09-29-2007, 03:55 PM
Well if you look at Alberta that has cancelled the hunt for Grizz, I would pay it in a heart beat! What is the requirements for out of Province to hunt these great beasts? Help me out!

Gateholio
09-29-2007, 04:20 PM
Well if you look at Alberta that has cancelled the hunt for Grizz, I would pay it in a heart beat! What is the requirements for out of Province to hunt these great beasts? Help me out!

Hire an ouitfitter.;)

smeegle
09-29-2007, 04:42 PM
well... im sorry if it came off ignorant but i dont think highly of trophy hunters.. im a hunter but i hunt because i enjoy the outdoors and if i happen to take an animals life its just a bonus because the meat it will provide will be greatly appreciated and enjoyed? how about the grizzly hunters/or any trophy hunters, granted some trophy huters do try and deal with the eat even though it may not be the best? they take pictures the hide and leave the rest? i think if you are going to take an animals life you should be responsable for it and use as much of the carcass as possible.

Gateholio
09-29-2007, 04:47 PM
[quote=smeegle;189864]well... im sorry if it came off ignorant but i dont think highly of trophy hunters..

Why?

im a hunter but i hunt because i enjoy the outdoors and if i happen to take an animals life its just a bonus because the meat it will provide will be greatly appreciated and enjoyed?

Trophy hunters enjoy the out doors as well...I am sure the meat of fur bearing animals doesn't go to waste.

i think if you are going to take an animals life you should be responsable for it and use as much of the carcass as possible

What part of the grizzly carcass does not go to good use? It is eaten by other animals in nature.

BIGHUNTERFISH
09-30-2007, 07:48 AM
Gatehouse I have come to the conclusion that you are the king of contradiction,you state in a thread about blackbear hunting that you believe the tags are to expensive at 20 bucks,but a grizzly tag at 80 bucks is cheap cheap cheap,is that not in it self putting the grizzly at a higher level than any other animal.And believe me when I tell you this there are alot of guys that dont apply for grizzly because of the tag cost and there are even more that when they do get drawn they dont even go on the hunt due to costs, not knowing the area ,not having partners that will go etc.And then there is a whole other group that wont go grizzly hunting because their scared sh--less.

Gateholio
09-30-2007, 09:45 AM
[QUOTE=BIGHUNTERFISH;190039]Gatehouse I have come to the conclusion that you are the king of contradiction,you state in a thread about blackbear hunting that you believe the tags are to expensive at 20 bucks,but a grizzly tag at 80 bucks is cheap cheap cheap,is that not in it self putting the grizzly at a higher level than any other animal.

I believe that you are referring to the thread by tod bartell where he asks what can be done to increase black bear hunters, and one of the suggestions I made was to reduce the tag cost, so more hunters would buy a tag "just in case" and potentially harvest more black bears. Black bears are a much under utilized resource, and many wildlife managers would like to see a few more taken.

I still buy 2 black bear tags per year and do not find the $20 cost excessive personally, it was simply a suggestion to encourage more hunters to hunt black bear.

Regardless of tag price, I still respect all the different animals, unlike you.

And believe me when I tell you this there are alot of guys that dont apply for grizzly because of the tag cost and there are even more that when they do get drawn they dont even go on the hunt due to costs, not knowing the area ,not having partners that will go etc.

I find it astonishing that some people would consider $80 too much money to sped on what could very well be a hunt of a lifetime. I wonder what they think the rest of the trip will cost? Most people have to travel to hunt grizzlies, and if $80 is a financial hardship to them, maybe they ned to reevaluate something. $80 should not be the deciding factor on whether a person goes on a multi day, remote hunting trip.

You know, $80 can be made by working a couple of extra hours, or even collecting some empties. Come work for me washing dishes for 6 hours. You will have $80 and I'll even provide lunch and a beer...Guys that complain about how much $80 is re just putting up roadbloacks for themselves.

As for the other guys that do get drawn, then aren't prepared to put up the money or effort...Well, that is one of the problems I have wiht out LEH system. Why someone woudl apply for a tag without any intention of using it just baffles me...

then there is a whole other group that wont go grizzly hunting because their scared sh--less.

Hopefully they aren't applying for the LEH tags...

BIGHUNTERFISH
09-30-2007, 09:56 AM
Just because we dont always see things the same way,doesnt mean I dont like or respect you.I would go hunting with you anytime,but my main question is when can I start washing dishes?:smile:

Gateholio
09-30-2007, 09:58 AM
Here is what I actually said in the other thread. Please note I did not say anywhere that I believe the $20 black bear tags are too expensive. In fact, I stated what I also said here:

And, many hunters are cheap when it comes to tags

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15019&page=2

I'd say the main reasons are twofold:

Many people don' want to eat bears, so they don't liek the meat retention laws...And, many hunters are cheap when it comes to tags (and ammo)

The latter is the easiest to cure. Make black bear tags inexpensive, so a hunter only needs to shell out afew (10 or so) dollars for a bear tag.

As far as I can understand it, meat retention regs were put into place for political and/or ethical reasons, rather than any other reason. However, if you look at it, ALL meat retention rules are political/ethical

If taste of meat is an issue select a smaller bear. Smal bears are VERY tasty. If you want abig bear, then you are faced wiht the same as shooting a big moose. Meat may be tougher.

I realy dont' understand why someone will shoot a big, tough eating moose, and then complain that he has to retain the meat of a big, tough bear.

Bear hunting in the fall is often an "afterthought" so if a hunter "bumps into" a bear he wants or needs to shoot he does so. If the tag is cheap, the hunter will buy one, on the off chance he sees one he wants....And maybe if he has that tag, he will actually pursue the bears.

BIGHUNTERFISH
09-30-2007, 10:00 AM
I think another issue were not looking at with Grizzly hunting is time,most people only get 2 or 3 weeks off a year ,and to go on a grizzly hunt you need a minimum of 7 days, so alot of guys wont sacrifice 7 days of the unknown when it cuts into their total available hunting time.

Gateholio
09-30-2007, 10:00 AM
Just because we dont always see things the same way,doesnt mean I dont like or respect you.I would go hunting with you anytime,but my main question is when can I start washing dishes?:smile:

the dishes never stop coming, so anytime you want is good wiht me....:smile:

BIGHUNTERFISH
09-30-2007, 10:02 AM

I thought that was my whole point????????

Gateholio
09-30-2007, 10:04 AM
I think another issue were not looking at with Grizzly hunting is time,most people only get 2 or 3 weeks off a year ,and to go on a grizzly hunt you need a minimum of 7 days, so alot of guys wont sacrifice 7 days of the unknown when it cuts into their total available hunting time.

That is something that government can't help with, unfortunately. As with most things, it comes down to what your priorities are.

trust me, this year I know the the feeling of not enough free time all too well...:frown:

BIGHUNTERFISH
09-30-2007, 10:06 AM
That is something that government can't help with, unfortunately. As with most things, it comes down to what your priorities are.

trust me, this year I know the the feeling of not enough free time all too well...:frown:

Actually the govt can help with the time off,I work for the Federal govt and I get a ton of days off .:razz:

Gateholio
09-30-2007, 10:11 AM

I thought that was my whole point????????

Cheap people will bitch that a $50 grizzly tag is too much, too. And they will sit at home and complain about gas prices rather than go hunting.:grin:

And of course, they will bitch that the gun stores are ripping them off on ammo. They won't invest $100 on a beginner press and dies so they can make thier own ammo, though....

And then they will go out and spend $100 on beer and food at the pub while they watch the hockey game, but that's a valid expense.:mrgreen:

Mr. Dean
09-30-2007, 11:26 AM

I agree, sort of.

My thinking is is that even a 7 dayer, especially goin in blind on a new area; you're still hoping that luck is on your side.

Most of my hunting is several hours from my doors step - I can't get out there for regular scouts. But when I plan a trip, I'll dedicate 2 full weeks. This'll give me a few days to evaluate what's goin on in the area's that I know and time to learn new ones if need be.

If success should come early (ya-hoo!), that gives me some time to focus on other species.

Maybe I'm different that most... I dedicate ALL my 'free' time to the pursuit of critters.

I'm a PETA nightmare. :evil: :wink:

If I knew that that I could secure a Grizz tag, I'd take one spring hunt of the area (2 weeks) w/ only a Blk Bear tag, one year. Then go in the following spring Tag'd up to the hilt and dedicate 3 weeks to play George Of The Jungle. :cool:

:idea: - Brain Fart:

How about allowing a hunter a tag every 3 or 5 years?

Personaly I wouldn't care what the tag price was (within reason) but it should be priced in such a manner that only the guy's that're serious, need buy ($100 or $150 perhaps?). That's STILL a drop in the bucket, considering all the other associated dollars thrown at a hunt such as this... Any hunt for that matter.

Again, I wouldn't care if it were $500 as long as the money was doin SOMETHING good for the 'cause'.

I'm sure someone else has thought of this and shoved it through the wringer before I...

Mr. Dean
09-30-2007, 11:29 AM
And then they will go out and spend $100 on beer and food at the pub while they watch the hockey game, but that's a valid expense.

Ain't THAT the truth - Amen.

CanuckShooter
10-01-2007, 08:58 AM
Smeegle that is about the most ignorant statement I have ever read on this site. I think they should tax the shit out of meat hunters. That would generate waaaay more revenue.

They already do...PST/GST on every darned thing we buy for hunting, and then there are the hidden gas taxes etc. WE should be after parity with Alberta at least...kill the PST !! I say!!!:mrgreen: