PDA

View Full Version : frame pack advise

Maestro
09-13-2019, 10:57 AM
Hello huntingbc community,

Looking for advice about a framed pack to carry a game quarters out of the bush.

Thank you.

P.S. Search this thread did not provide much information.

Ron.C
09-13-2019, 11:04 AM
I use a Cabelas alaskan frame. Worked very well for me and is quite cost effective. Packed out elk, goat, deer and bear on it.

I through a Tatonka Lastenkraxe bag on it and it is a great combination. That said, there are better packs out there, but cost is much higher

decker9
09-13-2019, 12:36 PM
Depending on how much you plan on using it, the Kifaru frame with the cargo panel is the cats meow. A bit pricy, but if a guy plans on a lot of use, then it’s usually justifiable.

Bustercluck
09-13-2019, 12:56 PM
Are you looking for a frame to put game on? Or a pack with external frame to put game between the bag and frame?

Fella
09-13-2019, 01:44 PM
Check out stone glacier

Maestro
09-13-2019, 02:03 PM
I'm looking for For a frame back pack where I can put a game on a frame and occasionally using it as regular back pack.

Are you looking for a frame to put game on? Or a pack with external frame to put game between the bag and frame?

KodiakHntr
09-13-2019, 02:18 PM
I'm looking for For a frame back pack where I can put a game on a frame and occasionally using it as regular back pack.

Well what are you going to do more of? Packing quarters or using as a backpack? If the backpack side outweighs the quarter carrying, then a Stone Glacier or Kifaru is the cats ass.
If you anticipate using it for carrying quarters more, then the answer is still the same...

However, that assumes your budget is around $1000.

If you are set on a frame and bag, then a Barney Freighter is the answer. But requires the same budget.

If you don’ t have a $1k budget then you are looking at the Cabela’s or Tatonka frame.

moosinaround
09-13-2019, 02:50 PM
I have a Cabelas alaskan guide pack frame. Comfy harness, and pretty sturdy frame! Handles 60-80#'s pretty well. 120 bucks or so at Cabelas.ca. The Alpz frame works, but is a tad flimsy, but it packs meat out too. Or, you could spent the big bucks, and buy a system, like SG, or MR. Moosin

Bustercluck
09-13-2019, 05:30 PM
If you’re planning on using it for any amount of distance or time I’d suggest stone glacier or mystery ranch. I have a mystery ranch Marshall that I’ve packed well over 80 pounds around 20km in one day or around 65-70 for multiple days up to 25 km per day no problem. The mystery ranch seems to be a couple pounds heavier than the competitors, but they’re a bomb-proof bag.

My partner runs one of the stone glacier packs. I like the side pocket on his for the spotting scope and it’s a bit lighter. Also more expensive.

The good packs really start to shine when you put a good load on them. If your plan is to pack a few elk quarters for a few kms out of the bush then go with one of the cabelas frames, but if you’re planning on backpack hunting, buy once cry once.

Rampart usually has mystery ranch ranch on sale in the spring.

warnniklz
09-13-2019, 06:21 PM
I suggest something like a tatonka lasternaxe or similar. Get something welded... not those ones with cotter pins every where.

That being said, comfort in the straps and harness are key on whatever you get.

pin_head
09-16-2019, 06:13 AM
Budget will be the biggest factor in what is suggested. My friend and I have both put a few years and animals through and alpz commander x frame pack. We’ve both got mystery ranch now but I’ll be damned to say that the alpz works damn fine and can’t be beat for the money with anything I’ve seen.

He might even even be looking to sell it you’re interested :wink:

Brad

Arctic Lake
09-16-2019, 06:50 AM
Interested in this thread topic as well The old Trapper Nelson is not too comfy .
I don’t think Cabela’s makes the Alaskan anymore ? Do you know what their replacement is and is it as good ?
Thanks
Arctic Lake

Maestro
09-16-2019, 09:41 AM
Interested in this thread topic as well The old Trapper Nelson is not too comfy .
I don’t think Cabela’s makes the Alaskan anymore ? Do you know what their replacement is and is it as good ?
Thanks
Arctic Lake

Is it mentioned here Cabelas Alaskan frame backpack ?
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/110083/cabelas-alaskan-1-frame-pack

Maestro
09-16-2019, 10:16 AM
Looks like Tasmanian Tiger form Tatonka is super solid and is the only clearly states that is rated up to 50kg

islandarcher
09-16-2019, 02:37 PM
I run a Mystery Ranch myself, but curious, has anyone tried a bullpac? looks damn solid, not sure how comfortable though.

https://bullpacs.com/product/bull-pac-199-standard-width/ (https://bullpacs.com/product/bull-pac-199-standard-width/)

kootenaycarver
09-16-2019, 02:59 PM
A Camp Trails freighter frame with a Moose Bag will pack most anything . Can usually be found used, for a $100 or less. Great value for the money. Have packed hundreds of pounds of game since 1969 and never had an issue. I also have had very good success with the Wilderness Wanderer pack (both gen I and Gen II) Recently bought a Barney's Pack, very nice, heavy and over the top expensive. Probably won't be using the latest too much. Buy a Camp Trails and your good to go.

Arctic Lake
09-16-2019, 05:38 PM
Is it mentioned here Cabelas Alaskan frame backpack ?
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/110083/cabelas-alaskan-1-frame-pack
Hmmmm Where the heck did I see it was discontinued
Arctic Lake

Ron.C
09-16-2019, 07:01 PM
Hmmmm Where the heck did I see it was discontinued
Arctic Lake

Cabelas had them in a flyer a few weeks back for $79.

twoSevenO
09-16-2019, 07:22 PM
Get a tatanka pack. Great value for money.

If you have a high budget there is no shortage of expensive packs out there: kuiu, kifaru, exo, stone glacier, mystery ranch etc

Maestro
09-16-2019, 10:35 PM
Get a tatanka pack. Great value for money.

If you have a high budget there is no shortage of expensive packs out there: kuiu, kifaru, exo, stone glacier, mystery ranch etc

Cannot find who is selling them in Canada

patbrennan
09-17-2019, 05:02 AM
Capital Iron did a few years ago, not sure about now.

Maestro
09-17-2019, 10:28 PM
Capital Iron did a few years ago, not sure about now.

Stopped to sell Tatonka two years ago

ACB
09-18-2019, 10:48 AM
A Camp Trails freighter frame with a Moose Bag will pack most anything . Can usually be found used, for a $100 or less. Great value for the money. Have packed hundreds of pounds of game since 1969 and never had an issue. I also have had very good success with the Wilderness Wanderer pack (both gen I and Gen II) Recently bought a Barney's Pack, very nice, heavy and over the top expensive. Probably won't be using the latest too much. Buy a Camp Trails and your good to go.
X2 on the Camp Trails Freighter with moose bag, moose bag come's off very easily. Welded frame works well. It'll pack as much weight as you can carry. For packing moose quarters we use it with out moose bag, just the quarter tied on with parachute cord, we've had to pack out 150# front quarters. Just a hint, if you're with your buddies and it's time to pack out a moose, pick a hind quarter, 20-25% lighter. LOL

Westslope
09-18-2019, 11:11 AM
Hard to beat a Barneys Freighter for an external frame, comfy when loaded really heavy, has load lifters and you can adjust it to fit your back and hips, truly bombproof, very popular in Alaska and actually pretty light when empty. I owned one with the Alaska/Yukon pack and you can fit a whole hindquarter of a big moose (Yukon moose) into the bag with ease, course then you have to carry it out. As with all external frames they are always kind of the same size (not very compressible) so are more prone to hanging you up in brush and annoying to hunt in timber with if you have to do any amount of crawling under logs and such.

IronFox
09-18-2019, 02:01 PM
Hi, I heard great things about this pack from these guys. http://www.alpsoutdoorz.com/products/extreme/trophy-x-plus-pack
Amazon offers them from 350 bucks

huntingfamily
10-04-2019, 03:47 PM
https://youtu.be/J2NQmtWUQqc

Jordan f.
10-04-2019, 04:09 PM
https://youtu.be/J2NQmtWUQqc

I have a MR- Pintler. Man these things are built well. The video doesn't lie