PDA

View Full Version : mountain mullie down.

daycort
09-28-2007, 03:10 PM
Well last nite I was going to try just one more time for a mule deer with my bow up here in 7b. A friend and I went to the head of zipper lip creek where we knew that some deer where calling home. When we reached this cut block oasis for mullies we set up the spotting scopes and got busy. After spotting some younger bucks, I noticed a could be candidate. Soon after that I noticed a family of grizzly bears right in the middle of my would be stocking route. So all of a sudden that deer didn't look so good. So on the way out we were doing the regular bs routine and out of know where my buddy yells out big deer. So on goes the brakes and up come the glasses, and i said yep, i will try for him. I make a quick but very sneaky stock and whap hit him at 35 yards. I head back to the truck and to say the least i was very excited. We waited for 45 minutes and watched the last bit of lite fade away. So we suited up after or waiting peroid and hit the trail looking for blood. The trail was skinny, but findable until all of a sudden we lost it except for where we found one big patch of blood and then nothing. We looked for a bit and decided to back off until first lite. We got there this morning and hit the trail right where we left it and did big circles until we cut some sign(by this time it was snowing nicely). I came around a tree and there he was so I knocked an arrow and sneaked in to see what was going on, and all of a sudden he jumped up and made a break for it. He was looking like he didn't have anything left and then he stopped and offered me a broadside shot at 41 yards that sailed true. He made it about another 45 yards and down he went. After the photo sesion and the like we got down to the nasty. When we had him opened up my arrow from the nite before just nicked the liver. When I released the first arrow he string jumped to a quatering toward shot, this was determined by myself and my buddy. The hike to the truck was not fun but worth it. I had the front quarters, cape and skull and back straps well my friend had the back legs. I had to go up the mountain to retrieve my truck while my friend went down. It is amazing how steep they can cut and harvest logs on. One down note though, the cord for my camera is at home that allows me to get pictures on the old computer. I can however send a text of the deer to someone who can get it from there phone to this site.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_0626.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=8937&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=3505)

hannibal
09-28-2007, 07:49 PM
cool story man. Always a better critter when ya sweat a bit.

Clint_S
09-28-2007, 08:13 PM
WTG!
Surprised the grizz didn't find him first.

Paulyman
09-28-2007, 08:18 PM
so let me get this straight, the deer stayed alive overnight??? after you nailed him? didnt run anywhere all night and then in the morning when you got there it jumped up and made a break for it???

am i missing something?

Will
09-28-2007, 08:24 PM
It's not uncommon for a "wounded" deer to last a night...sometimes longer especially from a "slightly off" arrow shot.
The "nicked" liver would have most likely been fatal eventually...internal bleeding and such.

Way to go...backing off and returning the next morning was definately the right choice. Sounds like that deer would have put on quite the run had you pursued it immediately afterwards.

Congrats and Get some Dam Pictures Please :)

daycort
09-28-2007, 08:29 PM
Sometimes the animals will string jump and your arrow will go where you don't want it to go. It has always been said that if you are not sure back off and let the animal wait a nite. This goes for rifles and archery. The deer was about a 150 yards from where I seen the last blood. If I would have pushed him he would of went, god knows how far and probably wouldn't have harvested this fine animal. He quickly died after my second shot through both lungs. I would say 1 minute or less.

Paulyman
09-28-2007, 08:29 PM
I guess i am really just surprised the deer wouldn't get out of the area after being speared with an arrow,and then in the morning decided to make a break for it.

Will
09-28-2007, 08:35 PM
I guess i am really just surprised the deer wouldn't get out of the area after being speared with an arrow,and then in the morning decided to make a break for it.
I've had a Bear that was hit....he made it into some thick crap, much too thick to push into at last light.
The next morning he was still in there....another bullet fixed things:wink:

Wounded game in my experiences will often "bed" down if not pushed....probaly doesn't feel good to run with an arrow through your liver anyways :tongue::wink:

bwhnter
09-28-2007, 09:46 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/media12.JPG

Here you go. If you have any more send them to my phone now that I have thgis figured out.

P.S nice buck

lapadat
09-28-2007, 09:49 PM
Daycort,

great looking buck....good thinking to wait him out overnight....i know how hard it is to walk away from a critter AND how great it is to find it.

daycort
09-28-2007, 09:56 PM
thanks RAL. We are going to have to sit down at a computer one nite and you can show me how to do the picture thing.

Derek_Erickson
09-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Right on nice buck

Paulyman
09-28-2007, 10:10 PM
Wow, any idea how much he weighed

Thanks for teaching me something new, I never knew you should wait a night if unsure of your hit.

ianwuzhere
09-28-2007, 10:10 PM
beautiful buck- congrats!!!

Derek_Erickson
09-28-2007, 10:11 PM
uh... Ah..... Can you... tell me where Zipper mouth creek is, I can't find it on the backroad map.. uhh

WoodOx
09-29-2007, 07:59 AM
nice buck daycourt! you thrown a tape on him for a green score yet? The kickers are cool

daycort
09-29-2007, 08:01 AM
i did rough score him. any takers on his green score.

Kirby
09-29-2007, 09:02 AM
uh... Ah..... Can you... tell me where Zipper mouth creek is, I can't find it on the backroad map.. uhh

Its below nevertelling mountain, just south of the screwyourself Mountain range.:lol::D

Kirby

Rookie
09-29-2007, 09:41 AM
That is a beautiful deer.Way to go man,awesome bow kill!

WoodOx
09-29-2007, 09:47 AM
182 gross, 168 net

Will
09-29-2007, 09:53 AM
Nice...8-)

mark
09-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Am I the only one that doesnt see a picture here?????????

daycort
09-30-2007, 05:28 PM
okay it seems i can't get the pictures from the company network onto this site. I can however e-mail them to someone to post up for me.

mark
09-30-2007, 06:08 PM
Here ya go, very nice buck, and by archery to boot! Congrads!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/Jarads_buck_Medium_.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=6170&size=big&cat=500)

The Hermit
09-30-2007, 06:22 PM
Great deer man! Now I wish I'd got my ass outta bed this morning and gone found one myself!!

rock
09-30-2007, 07:39 PM
Very nice deer almost identical to mine I shot a few years ago, congrats specially with a bow.

JMac
09-30-2007, 07:54 PM
Daycort, nice white face buck, like the sticker points on him.

MattB
09-30-2007, 08:07 PM
Nice buck! I would guess 155-160".

smallcoho
09-30-2007, 08:11 PM
very nice buck,more nice the hunter,good job!

daycort
09-30-2007, 08:15 PM
very nice buck,more nice the hunter,good job!

not to sure what the middle part of that sentence ment????:?:

HighCountry
09-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Nice buck congrast.

daycort
09-30-2007, 09:14 PM
thankyou guys. goodluck to all for the rest of the season.

paraschost
10-01-2007, 06:42 AM
congrats! nice buck

daycort
10-02-2007, 11:24 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Jarads_buck_Medium_.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6170&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=501)

just practicing doing the picture thing. just got to figure out how to get it to the gallery from my picture file.

BlacktailStalker
10-02-2007, 11:41 PM
Thats a hawg, nice buck, good character with those stickers.
Good call on coming back, nothing worse than losing an animal you may have found but didnt because you pushed him.
Thats what I'm looking for this weekend, also with the bow depending on the country I end up in !
Head mount ?

dana
10-03-2007, 05:54 AM
Very nice buck man! Congrats!

diggerpax
10-03-2007, 11:07 PM
Great buck- I can't believe how symetrical his stickers are- I think nice mule deer are one of the most difficult animals to hunt- nice work.

daycort
10-04-2007, 06:57 AM
Head mount ?

Yes i think so. I think I will hunt for a while before I get another crack at a deer like him with a bow. My wife tells me a 180" minimum for deer to hangon are walls. She has a tough time with mesuring lengths.:lol::lol:

BlacktailStalker
10-04-2007, 09:09 AM
Good call on mounting that, again, especially with a bow.
That's one to be proud of.

I'd be hunting that area again, it'd be interesting to see if those genetics are running around in that area.
I'm really interested in multiple deer with the same genetics lately, it's a good thing to know if you like to "grow" your deer.

daycort
10-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Blascktailstalker,

the genetics in this area are wicked. this deers older brother is an absolute pig!! seen a deer very simular to the sask buck just not as heavy but still very nice n/t. I am keeping quite, just 4 people know about this spot and i think only 2 of us are serious enough to hike to get them.

daycort
10-05-2007, 09:56 PM
looking for a black bear i seen my deers older brother agian tonite. take my deer and add an easy 25" of score. A complete hawg.