PDA

View Full Version : Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

Arctic Lake
09-12-2019, 11:47 AM
So with all the issues facing B.C. Resident Hunters I felt that I needed to join BHA and become a member . There is a British Columbia Chapter so hopefully it will help . . Who also on HBC is a member of HBA ? Are you considering joining ?
Arctic Lake

J_T
09-12-2019, 11:54 AM
^^I'm a member. Have been for a while.

BgBlkDg
09-12-2019, 12:00 PM
I have considered joining, but, age and old injuries make me rather hesitant as my abilities wane...........

Jordan f.
09-12-2019, 12:13 PM
Was on the Board of Directors for the Alberta Chapter.

Plan on joining the BC Chapter. It's gaining a lot of momentum. Great to see

butcher
09-12-2019, 01:02 PM
I have considered joining, but, age and old injuries make me rather hesitant as my abilities wane...........

I don’t think that really matters. Access for ALL hunters to back country is a huge issue. Guys with some experience and different skill sets are vitally important. One voice.

45freezer
09-12-2019, 01:03 PM
Come out to the meeting at the end of the month and check things out, 7pm on the last thursday of every month at the burnaby lake rugby club...great group of guys & gals.

Fella
09-12-2019, 01:04 PM
I’m on the region 1 table. Lots of good stuff happening!

Arctic Lake
09-12-2019, 01:49 PM
Good news to hear ! Sure hope I can make it to the meeting at the end of the month and let's hope others on here join up !
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
09-12-2019, 01:51 PM
I don’t think that really matters. Access for ALL hunters to back country is a huge issue. Guys with some experience and different skill sets are vitally important. One voice.

BgBlkDg What butcher said .
Arctic Lake

ActionJackson017
09-12-2019, 01:53 PM
Cool. I'm going to attend the next meeting so long as I don't have a conflict that night w/ scheduling.

corywilson13
09-12-2019, 02:46 PM
I’ve been interested in learning more about BHA BC but haven’t heard much, or seen anything posted on HBc until now. Thanks for bringing this up. Can a member share some info on what’s involved, what the goals/benefits are? Are there region 1/Vancouver island specific meetings?

Fella
09-12-2019, 02:56 PM
Hey Cory I can send you a pm later tonight with some region 1 specific info

pg83
09-12-2019, 05:12 PM
I’ve been interested in learning more about BHA BC but haven’t heard much, or seen anything posted on HBc until now. Thanks for bringing this up. Can a member share some info on what’s involved, what the goals/benefits are? Are there region 1/Vancouver island specific meetings?

https://www.backcountryhunters.org/british_columbia_bha

This is a good place to get some of the basics although there is far more info to be found on Facebook/Instagram.

Ron.C
09-12-2019, 05:58 PM
Hey Cory I can send you a pm later tonight with some region 1 specific info

Fella,

can you please PM me the same? I will be joining tomorrow and would like to get involved beyond my membership fee.

Ron

markathome
09-12-2019, 06:36 PM
Hi All - feel free to email me mark_r@telus.net and I'll point you in the right direction for each region. We're almost 1000 members (that's the 2019 goal). Region 4 has been established for a few years in the EK. Other regions have been coming on board over the last couple of years. I'm a co-chair for Region 2.

Some initiatives:
- partnership with the Nature Trust for land improvements and river clean-ups
- working on a trail cam system partnership to ideally provide data to regional bios
- coordinated messages going to MLAs and other politicians around important issues: caribou, moose, access and habitat

I'm not on Hunting BC too often, so email is best for me. Cheers

Insta is the most active social media platform.

https://www.instagram.com/backcountryhuntersbc/

(https://www.instagram.com/backcountryhuntersbc/)

Fella
09-12-2019, 06:40 PM
Guys who are interested in signing up, use http://www.backcountryhuntersbc.com/

Fella
09-12-2019, 06:46 PM
Oh, we are also doing a membership drive so if you sign up you get your name in the hat to win a Savage Axis.

BriarPatch
09-12-2019, 07:04 PM
The idea is good in principal but look on their website at some of BHA partners, they are definitely NOT hunter friendly. Many members of their partner groups are Rabid Anti's.

markathome
09-12-2019, 07:37 PM
https://www.backcountryhunters.org/corporate_partners

Show me one Rabid Anti hunting partner.

Fella
09-12-2019, 07:38 PM
Which ones? Sitka? Federal? Camp chef? Maybe you’re talking about Weatherby or Cooper firearms?

wildcatter
09-12-2019, 07:57 PM
Hi All - feel free to email me mark_r@telus.net and I'll point you in the right direction for each region. We're almost 1000 members (that's the 2019 goal). Region 4 has been established for a few years in the EK. Other regions have been coming on board over the last couple of years. I'm a co-chair for Region 2.

Some initiatives:
- partnership with the Nature Trust for land improvements and river clean-ups
- working on a trail cam system partnership to ideally provide data to regional bios
- coordinated messages going to MLAs and other politicians around important issues: caribou, moose, access and habitat

I'm not on Hunting BC too often, so email is best for me. Cheers

Insta is the most active social media platform.

https://www.instagram.com/backcountryhuntersbc/

(https://www.instagram.com/backcountryhuntersbc/)

Hi Mark, is there a chapter in the Cariboo?
I'm moving up there in a few months and would like to find out.
Thanks

BriarPatch
09-12-2019, 08:36 PM
I was thinking along the lines of the PEW Foundation which is a major contributor to funding in the BHA

markathome
09-12-2019, 08:45 PM
Wildcatter: We're really close - we have a keen members and hoping to launch in Region 5 very soon - shoot me an email if you're interested in helping out. It's as grassroots as it gets. Shoot me an email and I can connect you with Kate. Cheers

markathome
09-12-2019, 08:50 PM
BriarPatch - I'm not going to waste time even acknowledging that. The internet is filled with BS.

Do you want more animals on the landscape? Do you want intact wildspaces? That's what the BHA does - grassroots volunteer work for improved habitat.

BriarPatch
09-12-2019, 08:53 PM
I have to question alliances with groups such as the nature trust of BC who have strong ties with Raincoast & other entities that are definitely anti.

You guys personally may have good intentions but when push comes to shove which it always does I wonder where BHA will stand when more hunting & fishing gets closed down.

Where does BHA stand on Y2Y?

wildcatter
09-12-2019, 08:54 PM
Wildcatter: We're really close - we have a keen members and hoping to launch in Region 5 very soon - shoot me an email if you're interested in helping out. It's as grassroots as it gets. Shoot me an email and I can connect you with Kate. Cheers

Thanks Mark, email sent, Otto

BriarPatch
09-12-2019, 09:06 PM
Markathome you do not need to acknowledge it, this is not internet bs as you well know, I raised this point months ago and you had no answer then other than to dismiss it so more of the same.

Quiet Hunter
09-12-2019, 09:57 PM
Come out to the meeting at the end of the month and check things out, 7pm on the last thursday of every month at the burnaby lake rugby club...great group of guys & gals.

Im very interested in attending. Do you have to be a member?

markathome
09-12-2019, 10:00 PM
Hey Hunter - nope you don't.

markathome
09-12-2019, 10:03 PM
Ah Christ - BriarPatch. I don't give a flying **** what you think.

Here's where I try my very best to put my energy:

CWD - this is new for me and the BHA, but we recognize we need to be in front of this and influencing policy makers
Region 5 Moose in crisis and the spray program
Elk population falling off a cliff in the EK because of non-intact habitat
Mule deer in perpetual decline in the last decade
PREDATORS!!!!!
First Nations Relationships

List off What did you do for wildlife and habitat in our fine province this week? Talked shit on a forum?

Seriously:
What.
Did.
You.
Do?

This week. List it out - what did YOU do to improve wildlife and habitat in our province?

List it the **** out.

Here's my story: I have a family that I make goddam sure they have superior experiences. Everyday.

I am a key part of a local business that provides pay checks to 30 HARD WORKING TRADESMEN AND WOMEN. My day starts at 5:30 AM.

This week: I carved out the goddamn time to participate in two conference calls and I had a sit-down coffee with my ****ING MLA!

AND I know what a whole bunch of volunteers did - some of them were BHA members - some weren't. Phone calls. Meetings and letters CRAFTED and sent.

My conservation mentor is a 70+ year-old farmer who communicates with the biologists and community members after supper and before breakfast - he's GOLD. And a goddamn BHA member. And a BCWF member and a member of his Rod and Gun club.

Poke holes in the BHA sail all you want on a forum. Until you show up and are part of the solution - I don't give a rats ass what you write on the internet.

Here's my number if you want to call me: 6oh4-815-9678

markathome
09-12-2019, 10:18 PM
BriarPatch - the Yellowstone to Yukon initiative has almost zero relevance when weighted against the major issue in BC: LACK of funding and POLICY from the government and inadequate science (THAT BACKS THE POLICY):

Full stop.

Properly fund wildlife and habitat at the government level using public coffers AND separately fund scientists so they can effectively do their jobs and we've solved at least 30% of the problem... the rest is an unknown. Sadly.

Again - this particular forum has exhausted me.

Every single BHA member I've met to date - I would invite into my home for a meal.

Ron.C
09-13-2019, 07:40 AM
Just joined BHA. Looking forward to getting involved.

09-13-2019, 07:48 AM
As resident hunters we should be joining together. Either BCountry Hunters and or BCWildSheep Society. These outfits appear to be going in the right direction to represent us. I still support the BCWF but will be clear im not impressed with its lack of support for BC hunters in recent years. No clout. To much catering to organizations that are against us. IMO.

Jordan f.
09-13-2019, 11:03 AM
Guys who are interested in signing up, use http://www.backcountryhuntersbc.com/

Finally got around to signing up. One more member for region 1!

rolllingbreakdown
09-13-2019, 11:15 AM
Does anyone know if there is a chapter in PG? will be joining regardless but even better if there is.

butcher
09-13-2019, 11:34 AM
As resident hunters we should be joining together. Either BCountry Hunters and or BCWildSheep Society. These outfits appear to be going in the right direction to represent us. I still support the BCWF but will be clear im not impressed with its lack of support for BC hunters in recent years. No clout. To much catering to organizations that are against us. IMO.

You got it right! Put up or shut up.

butcher
09-13-2019, 11:36 AM
Does anyone know if there is a chapter in PG? will be joining regardless but even better if there is.

sign up and then send an email saying you want to volunteer. If there’s no table in PG you may be asked to help start one! Talk about getting in on the ground floor!

ElectricDyck
09-13-2019, 05:43 PM
I just don't see conservation as the #1 concern for hunters..Where would a guy send his money if he wanted to fund a continued fight against Canadian gun control measures and hunting closures/restrictions due to favoring first immigrant hunting opportunity and launch a campaign to sway the voting majorities general distaste for the idea of killing animals?

Greenthumbed
09-14-2019, 05:25 AM
I'm a member. Have been for a couple of years.

Redthies
09-14-2019, 08:16 AM
I joined up. @Greenthumbed, do you know if BCHA offers group insurance for members like BCWF does? I need coverage for waterfowl in region 2.

todbartell
09-14-2019, 10:22 AM
I am a member. Hope to see good things happening in BC

REMINGTON JIM
09-14-2019, 10:51 AM
Just Joined up for 3 Years ! :D RJ

Greenthumbed
09-15-2019, 04:11 AM
I joined up. @Greenthumbed, do you know if BCHA offers group insurance for members like BCWF does? I need coverage for waterfowl in region 2.

Hey Redthies,
No, there is no insurance coverage with the BCBHA membership. You'll need to join an BCWF affiliate R&G club for that. Check out my local club. The annual dues are really quite reasonable and we have many folks from out of town as members.
https://www.goldenrodandgun.com

Redthies
09-15-2019, 08:47 AM
Hey Redthies,
No, there is no insurance coverage with the BCBHA membership. You'll need to join an BCWF affiliate R&G club for that. Check out my local club. The annual dues are really quite reasonable and we have many folks from out of town as members.
https://www.goldenrodandgun.com

Thanks, I’m already a BCWF member, just wanted to know how quickly I needed to renew. I joined BHA anyway, as hopefully they will be more vocal for us!

Ride
09-16-2019, 07:15 AM
Yes there is a table in region 7. Been a member for a number of years now. Its been a quiet summer but will be getting back on track shortly.

albravo2
09-16-2019, 08:55 AM
Ah Christ - BriarPatch. I don't give a flying **** what you think.

Here's where I try my very best to put my energy:

CWD - this is new for me and the BHA, but we recognize we need to be in front of this and influencing policy makers
Region 5 Moose in crisis and the spray program
Elk population falling off a cliff in the EK because of non-intact habitat
Mule deer in perpetual decline in the last decade
PREDATORS!!!!!
First Nations Relationships

List off What did you do for wildlife and habitat in our fine province this week? Talked shit on a forum?

Seriously:
What.
Did.
You.
Do?

This week. List it out - what did YOU do to improve wildlife and habitat in our province?

List it the **** out.

Here's my story: I have a family that I make goddam sure they have superior experiences. Everyday.

I am a key part of a local business that provides pay checks to 30 HARD WORKING TRADESMEN AND WOMEN. My day starts at 5:30 AM.

This week: I carved out the goddamn time to participate in two conference calls and I had a sit-down coffee with my ****ING MLA!

AND I know what a whole bunch of volunteers did - some of them were BHA members - some weren't. Phone calls. Meetings and letters CRAFTED and sent.

My conservation mentor is a 70+ year-old farmer who communicates with the biologists and community members after supper and before breakfast - he's GOLD. And a goddamn BHA member. And a BCWF member and a member of his Rod and Gun club.

Poke holes in the BHA sail all you want on a forum. Until you show up and are part of the solution - I don't give a rats ass what you write on the internet.

Here's my number if you want to call me: 6oh4-815-9678

This reply is awesome. I'm joining Mark and BHA. I hope others do too.

edit: just signed up for 3 years. Here is the link for anyone else-- https://www.backcountryhunters.org

09-16-2019, 09:14 AM
Just joined up too.
Looking forward to getting involved .
Strength in numbers.

One goal id like to see is I Sure would like to see all juristictions to hold All hunters accountable. Mandatory reporting of harvest Including FNs every where. Without ACCOUNTABILITY the will be zero Sustainability.

BriarPatch
09-16-2019, 09:17 AM
Markathome my issue is not with yourself or the work that you are doing, it is the choice of some affiliations made by people higher up that may have impacts on what you are doing and its future use by hunters & fisherman.

At this present moment in time I think that are far greater issues affecting hunters & fisherman than conservation & people should be directing their endeavours to get a government elected that supports firearms owners & stops pandering to FN issues at the expense of the greater good for all. Without this there will be no firearms & no hunting or fishing.

Today I spoke with my prospective MP on firearms rights, hunting & fishing issues together with economic impacts. What did anyone else do to get the word out, remember the vast majority of the general public think that you can just walk into any gun store & purchase any gun & have no idea about what is involved or requirements. Neither do they know how much sportsman put back into conservation & the environment unlike the paid anti activists.

Please do not take this as a racist comment it is not meant in that way. My views are that "ALL SHOULD BE EQUAL IN ALL WAYS"

I take up your offer & will call you later.