PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Sausages Question

skibum
09-12-2019, 10:01 AM
I usually just cut my game into roasts and the trimmings into ground. But we eat a lot of sausages.

Questions:

1) how long do your game sausages last in the freezer?
2) would it be better to get them made up in batches - freeze some meat and get a new batch of sausage made up in, say, February?

Thanks

elkhunterette
09-12-2019, 10:16 AM
We do 30 pounds at a time so they usually get eaten in 3 to 4 months.

rocksteady
09-12-2019, 11:12 AM
If you use a freezer bag vacuum (foodsaver) it really extends their life in the freezer

srupp
09-14-2019, 01:26 PM
Hmmm couple suggestions
When making sausage use ice in the water, cold water for soaking hog casings overnight.
Once sausages are made use a poke pin to allow any trapped air to escape.
I use a vacutainer and 4mm bags ..chambersealer..
Check all bags in 1 month for any frost on inside of bag..that one didnt seal..use first.
With those in mind I have had sausage last 24 months.
Cheers
Srupp

Arctic Lake
09-14-2019, 01:50 PM
Good advice above . Also for thought ! You can take frozen meat from the freezer and make sausages form them and then refreeze once sausages are made up . Let the meat defrost in a fridge at safe cold temperatures just above freezing,this is called Tempuring . Meat is best ground at cold temps to prevent fat smearing. Also if you have the room the grinder parts can be cold before using . If you have a cold place to do the processing of the sausages even better !
Arctic Lake

Firstblood
09-14-2019, 08:27 PM
Had some (130 pounds) of mixed game sausages made up at a Kamloops butcher but eating that much sausage makes you kind of tired of it so Id say small batches are better but hey, 4 years later, still good!!

srupp
09-15-2019, 09:56 PM
Good advice above . Also for thought ! You can take frozen meat from the freezer and make sausages form them and then refreeze once sausages are made up . Let the meat defrost in a fridge at safe cold temperatures just above freezing,this is called Tempuring . Meat is best ground at cold temps to prevent fat smearing. Also if you have the room the grinder parts can be cold before using . If you have a cold place to do the processing of the sausages even better !
Arctic Lake

Hmmm yes the worm gear and housing, plates and grinder knives get placed into freezer for couple hours..so meat doesnt warm up while processing..great point.
Srupp

Jordan f.
09-24-2019, 07:18 PM
Got some mule deer turned into sausages last November, ate some last night without complaint

Ride Red
09-24-2019, 07:51 PM
I usually just cut my game into roasts and the trimmings into ground. But we eat a lot of sausages.

Questions:

2) would it be better to get them made up in batches - freeze some meat and get a new batch of sausage made up in, say, February?

Thanks

Been making sausage for over 40 years now. We typically do 60lbs at a time without any freezer damage. Every batch is either wrapped with saran wrap, then freezer paper or vacuum sealed. Either one has been good for a year or more.

skibum
09-25-2019, 09:20 AM
Perfect - thanks for the responses. Like above. I saran wrap and freezer paper my home processed meat - I have had some bad store bought sausage come from the freezer - but should be good with my game meat this year.

ajr5406
09-27-2019, 07:35 AM
Im certainly no expert, but in general ground meat doesnt last as long as whole cuts. We usually make 20lb batches at a time and often give around 5lbs away to friends and family. My family of 4 goes through that amount in a couple of months. I also put about 1/4 of the batch into patties (without stuffing into casings) as we use the sausage meat in pasta sauces etc.

I would probably want to eat frozen sausage within 6 months. Its probably fine longer, but 6 months is what I have heard is recommended by food/health people.

Questions:

Thanks

ajr5406
09-27-2019, 07:37 AM
I also vacuum seal my sausages (6 per pack, which is a good amount for me and my family), so there is no issue with freezer burn.

tigrr
11-02-2019, 07:03 AM
Vacuum sealers have different thicknesses of bags. The thin ones will perforate if moved around too much. The saran wrap, then in wrapping paper last the longest. There are many thicknesses of wrapping paper too. Saran wrap then vacuum sealed does well for 3 years. It was salmon that found its way to the bottom of the freezer. My grand parents killed a cow every 4 years and froze the meat till the next kill. I was there for the skinning and gutting but others cut and wrapped it. It lasted 4 years in the freezer.
I just started making sausages too. Right now they are just in ziplock bags. I will eat these fairly soon though. My future method will be saran wrap then vacuum sealed. Might cut back on the smell permeating the freezer right now. I want to wrap some individually with saran wrap so I can remove 1 or 2 and keep the rest frozen for later. I have 2 deco-sonic sealers. Might seal them in 2's for a quick lunch scenario.

lowball
11-02-2019, 10:50 AM
Had some (130 pounds) of mixed game sausages made up at a Kamloops butcher but eating that much sausage makes you kind of tired of it so Id say small batches are better but hey, 4 years later, still good!!

Can not imagine eating any sausage after four years. Don't keep canned food that long. If you make small batches of different flavours, you will not get too much of a good thing. LOL

saskbooknut
11-03-2019, 04:33 AM
We make smaller batches - don't plan on having game sausage in the freezer for more than 6 months. Typically, 15 pound batches each of two different spicing.
I am also a believer in grinding partially frozen meat and keeping it cold through processing. All game meat is trimmed carefully to remove any traces of blood or tendon.
In recent years our favourite use of deer sausage has been in a spicy Italian pasta sauce made with our own tomatoes.