PDA

View Full Version : kamloops whitetail woohoo 2 more days to go!!!!

B-rad
09-08-2019, 09:17 PM
ahhh,,,,another season upon us,,,,so pumped to get back out there in 2 days and start pumping away at some more whitetail in kamloops region,,,,noticing as every year goes along the pickings for bucks is SLOWLY increasing,,,,but its getting there,,,,and the bucks SLOWLY gaining in size over last few years,,,,,,last year i could only muster a spike buck,,,and a 3x3,,,,which i was happy with,,,,,definately TONS of does out there for Oct 10 th opener,,,,,,might take a friend of mine out this year(his 1st year hunting),,,,,get him his 1st whitetail doe to start with,,,,,,he is a meat hunter and is not expecting anything but meat for there freezer,,,good luck all,,,pound the rocks hard this year

REMINGTON JIM
09-08-2019, 09:43 PM
Good LUCK B-rad - Hope you Get a GREAT Buck ! :biggrin: RJ

RyoTHC
09-08-2019, 10:09 PM
Good LUCK B-rad - Hope you Get a GREAT Buck ! :biggrin: RJ

I hunt a lot around Kamloops, noticed the same thing ... lots of small spike and fork bucks, I managed one nice 4x4 Wt buck the year before last but there are NO shortage of does that’s for damn sure.

Im hoping to manage two WT bucks and a nice mulie this fall, one each month sept-nov if I have anything to do with it haha

best of luck all!!

twoSevenO
09-08-2019, 10:24 PM
Are you guys talking north of kamloops or south? My experience is that south of the loops it's still predominantly mule deer.

Yes, there are whitetail but I mean generally Logan lake to kamloops ... mostly mule deer.

Has it changed in the past 4-5 years?

REMINGTON JIM
09-08-2019, 10:27 PM
Whiteys POPPING up ALL over now a days ! RJ

B-rad
09-08-2019, 10:51 PM
yes,,the whitetail are everywhere now,,,,,,right from tunkwa lake plateau,,,,,,lac le jeune,,,,,,,nicola lake plateau,,,,douglas lake,,,,,,,batchlor heights,,,westside,,,,cambell lake,,,,monte lake,,,,,chase,,,,,pinitan lake,,,,,,so yup,,,,literally totally in-circling kamloops,,,,,,but in all honesty,,,,,,there is a bit of difference hunting them,,,if someone is use to 100% hunting mulies,,,,,some of the time people are out hunting in Oct when any mule buck is open,,,,,,and they come accross does 100-150 yards out and just assume they are mule does,,,,,but actually whitetail does,,which are open at same time,,,,,,so there is a bit of a mis-identification issue still,,,,but thats understandable,,,,,,,,,Tons of hunters are still use to looking for only bone on the head,,,for that good ole trusty mulie buck

Kill-da-wabbit
09-08-2019, 10:58 PM
Are you guys talking north of kamloops or south? My experience is that south of the loops it's still predominantly mule deer.

Yes, there are whitetail but I mean generally Logan lake to kamloops ... mostly mule deer.

Has it changed in the past 4-5 years?

Cross the Coq. and you will find whities.

Ourea
09-08-2019, 11:08 PM
You are in the land of giants for WT.
I have a few contacts that have killed some hammers the last few years

Respect you are sharing and investing in others.

RyoTHC
09-09-2019, 05:05 AM

ive always been shocked over the last few years as I hunt WT east of Kamloops with great success and no one ever really talks about the spot.

Ill tell you you one thing though, in the few years I’ve been hunting this area, the WT are quickly displacing the mule deer. Areas I used to see mulies are now WT every time, only exception to this seems to be up high early season

RyoTHC
09-09-2019, 05:22 AM

also I don’t know about you, but I get ALOT more excited to see a big mulie buck than I do a WT, but maybe that’s just because I’m from the east and used to WTs but either way, the more people that hunt WT successfully the BETTER!

Ourea
09-09-2019, 10:45 AM
also I don’t know about you, but I get ALOT more excited to see a big mulie buck than I do a WT, but maybe that’s just because I’m from the east and used to WTs but either way, the more people that hunt WT successfully the BETTER!

I have numerous American business and sport buddies that are from the east and when we talk hunting they default to giant Mule deer in BC.
Me on the other hand, our group has killed some giants (MD) and we are on the Whitetail train now.
I obsess about the giant pricks I have found and find them very difficult to kill compared to MD and elk.

B-rad
09-09-2019, 01:39 PM
im a BC born mulie hunter,,,,,,ALWAYS after the thrill of mulies,,,,,,,,i get worked up over whitetail because they have a VERY liberal bag limit,,,and are an awesome big game animal for 1st time hunters,,,,i teach alot of beginners,,,and nothing beats the look on their faces after harvesting a little spike buck or large doe for their 1st big game animal,,,,,and there is NOTHING wrong with a slab of good ole whitetail back strap off the bbqu,,,,definately a very tasty addition to the diet

Fella
09-09-2019, 01:46 PM
I like mulies but am getting more interested in whitetails. Of course living on the island I have very opportunity to hunt whitetails, once or twice a year if I’m lucky.

RyoTHC
09-09-2019, 02:53 PM
I have numerous American business and sport buddies that are from the east and when we talk hunting they default to giant Mule deer in BC.
Me on the other hand, our group has killed some giants (MD) and we are on the Whitetail train now.
I obsess about the giant pricks I have found and find them very difficult to kill compared to MD and elk.

see and spending 25 years in their prime habitat I can find the white tail about anywhere, know exactly what they look for when they move and what they want out of their day, I guess that’s the joy of having such a vast array !

if you want to hunt some crackers I can send you in the right direction but they are SMART. Same big guy has been giving me the skip all 3 years. I have his sheds over 2 seasons. Not a record breaker by any means but a beautiful typical.

albravo2
09-09-2019, 03:19 PM
Love seeing the excited threads about upcoming hunts again. Hope to see some great photos of successful hunts soon.

Knock 'em dead B-rad!

ghost
09-09-2019, 03:30 PM
i am seeing more whitetails usually on private land but they are more and more common in spots that i nrver saw them before.i saw a doe with three fawns last weekend

Darksith
09-09-2019, 03:31 PM
can't find last falls bucks, but there were a couple with more mass that I hope I see again, this guy grew nicely

https://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o534/GregNalleweg/EK000009_zpst75wbacd.jpg
(http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/GregNalleweg/media/EK000009_zpst75wbacd.jpg.html)https://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o534/GregNalleweg/EK000010_zpsawqye61f.jpg (http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/GregNalleweg/media/EK000010_zpsawqye61f.jpg.html)

Ourea
09-09-2019, 03:39 PM
I guess what impresses me about whitetail, huge whitetail, is how they can survive in heavily hunted areas and in marginal habitat.
Thanks for the offer ryoTHC but I'm good when it comes to finding crankers, got a few on the hit list again.

https://i.imgur.com/J0bOdAF.jpg

Great thread B-rad

B-rad
09-09-2019, 07:32 PM
Darksith,,,,,that looks like a pinatan lake whitetail

HarryToolips
09-09-2019, 07:45 PM
Great thread and bucks there guys..I can honestly say that whitetails of reg 3 have been half of my harvest the last 5 years or so, they seem to be doing well even though there is a liberal harvest...I was going to get out for a reg 3 first light hunt to try and knock one down then hit the road for a few days of elk but I was out today looking for a black bear and I busted a U joint ffaaaakk..

RyoTHC
09-09-2019, 08:36 PM
Great thread and bucks there guys..I can honestly say that whitetails of reg 3 have been half of my harvest the last 5 years or so, they seem to be doing well even though there is a liberal harvest...I was going to get out for a reg 3 first light hunt to try and knock one down then hit the road for a few days of elk but I was out today looking for a black bear and I busted a U joint ffaaaakk..

well, I was out checking a load for my hunting ammo, and a big ol bear decided to take a huge shit right where I lay prone to shoot.. looks like my day has been decided tomorrow’s LOL

was thinking ducks in the AM, grouse all afternoon and maybe bump a bear feeding on the berries then head and see if there are any delicious whitetail hanging out around tunkwa :D fingers crossed for decent weather.

Best of of luck to everyone tomorrow !

B-rad
09-09-2019, 10:22 PM
i wont go out tomarrow,,,maybe ill head out Wed-Thur

russm86
09-10-2019, 10:05 AM
ahhh,,,,another season upon us,,,,so pumped to get back out there in 2 days and start pumping away at some more whitetail in kamloops region,,,,noticing as every year goes along the pickings for bucks is SLOWLY increasing,,,,but its getting there,,,,and the bucks SLOWLY gaining in size over last few years,,,,,,last year i could only muster a spike buck,,,and a 3x3,,,,which i was happy with,,,,,definately TONS of does out there for Oct 10 th opener,,,,,,might take a friend of mine out this year(his 1st year hunting),,,,,get him his 1st whitetail doe to start with,,,,,,he is a meat hunter and is not expecting anything but meat for there freezer,,,good luck all,,,pound the rocks hard this year

In the area I've been hunting white-tails near Kamloops I've noticed the opposite this year. Even on trail cam I'm only seeing about 1/3 of the # of bucks from previous years and most are spikes compared to the half dozen 5x5s plus I had last year on cam. Also seeing more traffic on the roads even though most of the area is private land and all branch roads have been deactivated.

On the other hand seeing easily double the # of bears this year, both in the spring and fall so far already. Already saw 2 wolves cross a road in front of me too but wasn't quick enough with the rifle, needed about 5 more seconds.

B-rad
09-10-2019, 11:42 AM
happy opening day fellow bush humpers!!!!!!

tim.l
09-10-2019, 03:01 PM
Hey all. I am up in barriere area middle of October for mulies. I seem to have good luck with connecting with those but still don't have any luck finding wts. Any tips and tricks would be awesome.

B-rad
09-10-2019, 04:11 PM
tim,,,,,there is whitetail on either side of barrier,,,,,,,,heffley has them,,,,,,little fort has them,,,,,,plus you can see them quite often up agate bay road,,,,,,,turn off highway at louis creek

B-rad
09-10-2019, 07:25 PM
so how everyone make out,,,,,,any whities spotted or harvested today?

180grainer
09-10-2019, 08:59 PM
can't find last falls bucks, but there were a couple with more mass that I hope I see again, this guy grew nicely

https://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o534/GregNalleweg/EK000009_zpst75wbacd.jpg
(http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/GregNalleweg/media/EK000009_zpst75wbacd.jpg.html)https://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o534/GregNalleweg/EK000010_zpsawqye61f.jpg (http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/GregNalleweg/media/EK000010_zpsawqye61f.jpg.html)

Wow..................................

RyoTHC
09-10-2019, 09:00 PM
Wow..................................

Found a a half dozen white tails. Two small bucks, neither worth the bullet.

Lots of bears out, and a limit of blue grouse for dinners :D.

B-rad
09-10-2019, 09:41 PM
nice!!!!,,,awesome to hear Ryo,,,i might go for a hunt tomarrow,,,,this huntin itch is killing me

REMINGTON JIM
09-10-2019, 09:54 PM
Excellent Report ! ;) RJ

B-rad
09-11-2019, 09:05 AM
well,,just got home,,,,,1 doe and a 2 point,,,,,,2 point i had him standing bout 60-70 yards away,,,,,,,twiddling my thumbs debating on taking a shot,,,he musta sat there confused staring at me for 3-4 min,,,,then i let him go,,,my buddy got pics of me kneeling ready for shot and u can see the buck at back of pic in same frame,,,,,was a cool looking pic,,,,,

tim.l
09-11-2019, 10:17 AM
Thanks b-rad... I am hoping to get my wife her first deer. As it is her first year going out hunting with her. Maybe a drive up to little fort while we are there. I guess I'll have to get on Google maps and see what looks good.

B-rad
09-11-2019, 12:52 PM
tim,,,,,that be awesome if u help get your wife her first deer this year,,,,if u can get her out between Oct.10th and the 31st,,,,,,,she can harvest the 1st whitetail she sees,,,,either sex

tim.l
09-11-2019, 01:06 PM
Yes we are up there for the week of Thanksgiving so it is during that time. Hopefully. We are keeping our fingers crossed.

B-rad
09-11-2019, 01:23 PM
wish you and your wife the best of luck!!!,,,,,hope you both get a chance to harvest one

B-rad
09-11-2019, 08:01 PM
just got home from quick evening hunt,,,,,seen another 3 whitie does,,,,,no bucks this time though,,,,lots of blues so far this year,,,,,but it really does depend on areas a person in,,,,just like rabbits,,,,,find an area with lots,,,,or few to none at all

HarryToolips
09-11-2019, 08:25 PM
so how everyone make out,,,,,,any whities spotted or harvested today?
All I've seen is WT and MD does so far....

Redthies
09-11-2019, 09:10 PM
well,,just got home,,,,,1 doe and a 2 point,,,,,,2 point i had him standing bout 60-70 yards away,,,,,,,twiddling my thumbs debating on taking a shot,,,he musta sat there confused staring at me for 3-4 min,,,,then i let him go,,,my buddy got pics of me kneeling ready for shot and u can see the buck at back of pic in same frame,,,,,was a cool looking pic,,,,,

I’d take a 2 point to take pressure off the freezer. Then go look for the grand poohbah!

RyoTHC
09-11-2019, 09:45 PM
Well, was out deer hunting and watched a boar chasing some young MD fawns across a hillside, boar is now in the back of my truck.

J-F
09-11-2019, 11:55 PM
Well, was out deer hunting and watched a boar chasing some young MD fawns across a hillside, boar is now in the back of my truck.

Good job! Thanks��

B-rad
09-12-2019, 01:54 PM
no luck this morning,,,,thought id go take a little bush walk this morning even though was sprinkling on/off,,,,,maybe tonight,,,,,,

B-rad
09-13-2019, 12:08 PM
does,,,does,,,,does,,,,,lots of does,,,was good scout this morning,,,,,tonight should be good now the rain has backed off

B-rad
09-15-2019, 05:16 PM
well,,,,,,,just got home,,,took a buddy out for his 1st whitetail,,,,,,got him his 1st little buck this morning,,,,,,,,,a little 2x1,,,,,,he was sooo happy,,,,got him with a nice little 243,,,,,aprox 60 yard shot,,,,,,was a batchlor group,,,was 2 other bucks in group,,,,,largest was a 3x3,,,,,,but he didnt stick around long enough for a shot,,,,,,,i might go back and take him myself,,,,,,,,3x3,,,,,2x2,,,,,and a 2x1,,,,,,we jumped them bout 10 am,,,,,the rain was keeping them bedded down in some thick brush,,,,either way,,,,,,job well done for my buddy steve,,,,,,i might go for another tromp tomarrow morning

DeepJeep
09-15-2019, 05:43 PM
Congrats and good on you for taking your buddy out

HarryToolips
09-15-2019, 09:31 PM
well,,,,,,,just got home,,,took a buddy out for his 1st whitetail,,,,,,got him his 1st little buck this morning,,,,,,,,,a little 2x1,,,,,,he was sooo happy,,,,got him with a nice little 243,,,,,aprox 60 yard shot,,,,,,was a batchlor group,,,was 2 other bucks in group,,,,,largest was a 3x3,,,,,,but he didnt stick around long enough for a shot,,,,,,,i might go back and take him myself,,,,,,,,3x3,,,,,2x2,,,,,and a 2x1,,,,,,we jumped them bout 10 am,,,,,the rain was keeping them bedded down in some thick brush,,,,either way,,,,,,job well done for my buddy steve,,,,,,i might go for another tromp tomarrow morning
Good on ya.....

REMINGTON JIM
09-15-2019, 09:50 PM
Good Job B-rad ! Congrats to your Buddie on his First Whitey ! :grin: RJ

B-rad
09-21-2019, 02:38 PM
fairly awesome morning,,,,,hunted 2 draws this morning,,,,,,bounced 4 whities out of bottom of draw,,,,no bucks,,,,,,,,got to top of draw bounced another 5 whities,,,,no bucks,,,,,,even though all doe was still exciting to bounce that many whities out of 2 draws,,,,,would have hunted 2 other draws,,,but had to be home for 1pm,,,,,,ahhhhh,,,life always gets in the way

bubba350
09-23-2019, 01:55 PM

Nice work! I am headed up to heffley this weekend to try and get my 12 yr old daughter here first Deer.

Cheers

Bubba

B-rad
09-30-2019, 02:41 PM
just checking to see if anyone been having luck on any whities yet,,,,there definatly lots out there,,,,,just nothing in the record buck range yet,,,,,,more than likely tons of people out starting tomarrow,,,,any mule buck opens tomarrow,,,so basically,,,,if u see horn on the head can harvest it mule/whitetail

Jereky
10-04-2019, 01:16 PM
Would love to hear more about some Whitetail areas! I’m lost around these parts.

J

B-rad
10-07-2019, 04:39 PM
3 days to go for ANY whitie,,,,everyone get their scouting in??,,,im going to be taking 2 new hunters out opening day for any whietail,,,(husband and wife),,,,this their 2nd year hunting and figure be good way for em to get some meat in the freezer,,,,and to experience the whole thing from scouting,,,,to pulling the trigger,,,,to hanging at their house,,,,,,wish yall best of luck,,,ill see ya soon

HarryToolips
10-07-2019, 08:35 PM
^^^^have gotten a bit of scouting in a reg 3 spot this year...lol like clockwork though they seem to be going nocturnal now...and lots of does with young, I won't shoot those, gotta wait for a dry one, or a nice buck...

WWBC
10-07-2019, 09:07 PM
Good thread.
Is it worth looking for white tails around 3-31 ( NorthWest of Clinton)

What I really want is a bear but it would be great to have an opportunity on a WT ( only hunted Mulies so far)
Would be happy to get doe for the freezer.

what areas offer the best chance at a bear and WT doe in the same hunt?

B-rad
10-10-2019, 01:38 PM
DONE DEAL,,,,,,took a couple out this morning,,(husband and wife),,,,,,only seen 6 whitetail this morning,,,,,,,but cheri,,,(the wife),,,,,zoned in a a nice healthy doe,,,,all by her lonesome,,(dry doe),,,,watched her for about 10-15 min to make sure she was alone,,,,,cheri decided she wanted her,,,for her first deer,,,,,so hunkered down,,,,she quietly chambered a 243 round,,,,,i ranged the doe at 77 yards,,,,,could hear cheri take 2 big breaths and let the shot loose,,,,,,perfect shot,,,she fell about 10 yards from where she was standing,,,,the look on her face was priceless,,,,,and she had the buck fever shakes,,,,,gonna take her husband out next monday,,,,see if we can get him 1 also,,,,getting a bit jealous taking people out to harvest,,,,,,BE MY time here soon,,,lol,,,,

DannyO
10-10-2019, 05:30 PM
Lucky folks getting the mentor treatment! Good on you

10-10-2019, 06:53 PM
Helping others complete their goals feels great doesnt it. We need new hunters young and old. Our new recruits are our future of our traditions and heritage. Pay it forward and pass it on.
Good on you!
Way to go ! Congrats.

HarryToolips
10-10-2019, 09:26 PM
DONE DEAL,,,,,,took a couple out this morning,,(husband and wife),,,,,,only seen 6 whitetail this morning,,,,,,,but cheri,,,(the wife),,,,,zoned in a a nice healthy doe,,,,all by her lonesome,,(dry doe),,,,watched her for about 10-15 min to make sure she was alone,,,,,cheri decided she wanted her,,,for her first deer,,,,,so hunkered down,,,,she quietly chambered a 243 round,,,,,i ranged the doe at 77 yards,,,,,could hear cheri take 2 big breaths and let the shot loose,,,,,,perfect shot,,,she fell about 10 yards from where she was standing,,,,the look on her face was priceless,,,,,and she had the buck fever shakes,,,,,gonna take her husband out next monday,,,,see if we can get him 1 also,,,,getting a bit jealous taking people out to harvest,,,,,,BE MY time here soon,,,lol,,,,
Good on ya...I haven't gotten out since last week, getting excited for reg 3 WT..

Sil3n2
10-10-2019, 09:42 PM
Went hunting the other morning and saw a dandy WT buck run across the hwy heading for bed around 5am. (noted the location) The big ones are most often bedded down early and don't move until late in the evening - until the RUT that is.

I grew up hunting whities in the Rock Creek/Christian Valley area. I continue to do my annual hunt down there since I still have old friends with farm land with plenty of elk and WT's but maybe I'll start scouting around here for them. I've seen them in the Shuswap area but haven't seen too many around where I hunt but i'm usually hunting the higher elevation though and that's where the MD are.

I find them more exciting to hunt than MD. They have a system and pattern they follow, using the same trails and routes routinely. Once you find an area with them, you can setup trail cams, figure out their route, setup in the blind or tree stand, rattle and call during the rut, then wait for it to happen.

I just got home from an evening hunt and let a very nice old looking 4x4 MD live another day. It was almost sundown or I would have attempted a stock on the old guy.

B-rad
10-11-2019, 03:58 AM
lots of truth to that,,,,one of the 1st things i try to explain to newer hunters is to ALWAYS remember where you seen a whitetail,,,,,,in my experience,,,,,,,whities will always be in that general area,,,,,there is quite the difference between hunting whities and mulies,,,,i live and grew up in now for about 36-37 years in Barnhartvale,,,,,,never use to be white tail,,,,but now they are present here,,,i been studying them ever since

Wild one
10-11-2019, 04:49 AM
Lots of truth on taking note where you see a whitetail but you can take this a step farther. A lot of times the new locations I hunt I don’t physically see a whitetail to start and may not have seen one for miles. Paying attention to the the habitat and how the game trails run you can often have a good guess if the area is dominated by WT or MD. From there it’s a matter of confirming your guess by random sits or better yet trail cams. At times I will set cams in bush that is basically unhuntable but holds really good sign just to get gauge the population. If the area holds promise I will dissect the bush looking for small( 20 yards is enough) openings that I can hunt from a stand. In many case visibility from the ground is just not going to happen

It’s really a game of reading the bush on possible travel locations and looking at it from a distance trying to predict where the bush may thin enough to hunt

There is a lot of WT that never really come into large openings they brows in small natural openings, in mixed timber, the edge of waterways or semi open timber. There is lots of WT populations that are not noticed because they inhabit areas hunters just drive past

One tip I pay attention to every river, lake, swamp, and pond

Numenor604
10-11-2019, 07:08 AM
Great thread guys! Everyone's excitiement is contagious. Im looking for a spot to take my old man and my brothers later this month preferrably with a decent lake and campsite and an area with a fair chance at a deer. Muley or WT. Any suggestions? I live in Vancouver. Thanks and good luck this season

Wild one
10-11-2019, 07:41 AM
Great thread guys! Everyone's excitiement is contagious. Im looking for a spot to take my old man and my brothers later this month preferrably with a decent lake and campsite and an area with a fair chance at a deer. Muley or WT. Any suggestions? I live in Vancouver. Thanks and good luck this season

lots of places listed in this thread and others pick one that fits your requirements for distance and access. When it comes to whitetail the best spots are the ones you know well So picking an area and start getting to know the area is best. There is lots of great WT locations that unless I walked you right into a stand location you might think the areas sucks. If you’re hunting style does not match the area it could also be a bust

Not trying to be a jerk or hide spots just being honest. I highly recommend getting out and learning an area and the WT population as it is a hunt to enjoy

If you just want to go hunting and have a crack at a deer I would pick one species as the main target and carry a just in case rage for the other. Different hunts, habitat, and often a location is better for on species over another

skibum
10-11-2019, 09:15 AM
On observing Kamloops whities - was high in the steep crap hunting mulies, but spotted some deer across the valley in a farmers field. Even with the glass could tell if they were bucks or not, but white tail for sure.

Anyways watched them for awhile --- was interesting to see how they would use the tiniest of cover to move from the fields, stream with a few trees to move around - and disappear so fast.

I guess they were not pressured too much as it was around 10:00am on a clear early October morning?

Wild one
10-11-2019, 09:40 AM
If there is no hunting on a farm they are way less spooky. I have seen WT in a campground so chill my so pet it and both the WT and MD in my new neighborhood are not afraid of much

Apply heavy pressure they become like tweaky meth heads scared of everything.

Sil3n2
10-11-2019, 03:35 PM
My go to for hunting whities is to locate farm land and a water source first, then hunt around that area. They will bed not far from the fields during the day, sometimes moving to the water source mid day. They will move to the fields in the evening to feed, then make there way back to bedding early morning. If they are not spooked or pressured, you have a better chance at seeing them earlier.

B-rad
10-12-2019, 06:05 AM
if anyone is familiar with the country setting around Nicola lake,,,,Stump lake,,,,shumway lake,,,,,,,the open fields with the draws with the thick poplar,,birch,,saskatoon bushes,,briar patches,,,,,,the whities love that stuff,,,,they come up off the hay/alfalpha fields and seek cover in those draws,,,,,lots of those types of draws surrounding Kamloops,,,,any direction i go with those types of settings ill find whities

B-rad
10-19-2019, 12:39 PM
just checking to see how everyone making out on the whitetail scene in the kamloops area,,,,,,hope everyone has been able to at least spot a few,,,,,,im doing a big 3 day hunt on mon,,tue,,wed,,,,,should be an absolute blast,,,,weather looks like gonna be awesome aswell,,,,all the best to my fellow bush thumpers,,,,see yall in few days

RyoTHC
10-19-2019, 01:15 PM
WT does everywhere. Have witnessed 3 bucks. A spike and two forks. How the hell does every doe have twins but there are no sperm donors?

by far the fewest white tail this years since I’ve started hunting but I’ve filled one tag thankfully. The road pressure in my areas I hunt has probably doubled this year vs last.

finngun
10-19-2019, 05:14 PM
4 mulies less...tunqwa area.....didnt see any w tales...whole 4days..

RyoTHC
10-19-2019, 05:30 PM
4 mulies less...tunqwa area.....didnt see any w tales...whole 4days..

anything decent ???

HarryToolips
10-19-2019, 06:03 PM
WT does everywhere. Have witnessed 3 bucks. A spike and two forks. How the hell does every doe have twins but there are no sperm donors?

by far the fewest white tail this years since I’ve started hunting but I’ve filled one tag thankfully. The road pressure in my areas I hunt has probably doubled this year vs last.
They learn to stay off the roads quite well, adapt to the pressure...the mature bucks I'm sure are around..but ya it's amazing how many does each buck must breed..it was during my 2nd hunting season that they brought in the doe season, so before that all the hunting pressure was on bucks, and it was amazing how many whitetails were all over the place, while the buck:doe ratio was way out of whack..

HarryToolips
10-19-2019, 06:05 PM
just checking to see how everyone making out on the whitetail scene in the kamloops area,,,,,,hope everyone has been able to at least spot a few,,,,,,im doing a big 3 day hunt on mon,,tue,,wed,,,,,should be an absolute blast,,,,weather looks like gonna be awesome aswell,,,,all the best to my fellow bush thumpers,,,,see yall in few days
I only got out for a couple hours last weekend and none this weekend due to work..but the sign is there, was not seeing them at first or last light, they could be nocturnal for the most part right now....

Pauly
10-20-2019, 03:17 AM
Been a great year for deer in Kamloops for me so far. Between my dad and I we’ve taken one bear , two nice 3 point mule deer, one big spike whitetail and one whitetail doe. The doe season is definitely cutting whitetail numbers down. Funny thing this year lots of road hunters can’t remember the last time I actually bumped into another hunter in the Bush. I love it keep driving I say

B-rad
10-20-2019, 03:52 AM
kamloops always been good to me hunting wise for last 32 years,,,i honestly cant say iv had a bad year here,,,,,,,only complaint i have is in all the years i been hunting here,,,,,,iv YET to this day EVER get a damn LEH mule doe draw,,,,and i put in every year for it,,,,lol,,,,,,but yes,,,,we off to a good start,,,,iv had my hand in helping with 4 harvested deer so far this year,,,,,,,and now iv helped out a few people,,,,,next week is all bout me,,,time to fill the freezer

Haydenmk
10-20-2019, 07:11 AM
How do you guys mainly hunt your big whities? Sitting in an area they frequent or slowly still hunting? I've been lucky enough to rattle one in during the rut.

finngun
10-20-2019, 09:29 AM
anything decent ???

Nothing big,,2..3pointers good eating....just see one 4pointer....too smart this time..maybe big ones still up high..we hunted on lowland..

HarryToolips
10-20-2019, 09:42 AM
How do you guys mainly hunt your big whities? Sitting in an area they frequent or slowly still hunting? I've been lucky enough to rattle one in during the rut.
All the above ways..

Wild one
10-20-2019, 10:24 AM

Hunt the rut big WT bucks can be like phantoms till then. Yes you can get the job done before then but the number of big bucks that magically appear during the rut is a huge increase. Even running trail cams the number of bucks over 150 is low till after the first week of November

For myself a lot of the areas I target still hunting is not an option. Even ground blinds are not a good choice because the lack of visibility from the ground. The tree stands I have set this season have a max of a 35 yards shot. From the ground in the same location you are lucky if you have 10 yard shot opportunity. I increased my sightings of mature WTs big time hunting areas like this. Downside you give up comfort and be prepared to be frustrated with glimpses of big bucks without a shot opportunity do to limited visibility. I also target areas well away from cut blocks, fields or large openings of any kind. In my opinion there is WT in both size and numbers that are going under 95% of hunters radar. I go out of my way to explore the timber most ignore and avoid what most hunters are focusing on. This has nothing to do with distance. I had one location in a ravine no more then 200yards off a well travelled road that treated me really well till the area was logged

I am a big believer in calling and rattling/doe bleat combo is my go to. Calling goes well with the small openings I hunt because it improves the odds of them giving me a shot vs seeing glimpses going through the bush

This is my style of hunting WT and it made a big difference in my success rate. It has worked for me in both BC and Alberta. But you wil also meet guys who target large openings glassing

Wild one
10-20-2019, 10:28 AM
It’s a mental game and I have sat people in my stands and heard how the F do you shoot anything like this many times lol

B-rad
10-20-2019, 12:13 PM
ohhh forsure the bucks are there,,(bigger bucks),,,,,,they are not un-wise,,,,,,,i have many spots i scout in direct relation to kamloops,,,with the farthest being aprox 25-30 min drive from town,,,,,like i said in earlier posts in this thread,,i been studing whitetail in kamloops region for a very very very long time now,,,,,,,#1 rule i found with myself,,,,remember this just me,,,,,from July on,,,,take a mental pic of EVERY place you see a whitetail,,,,,work those spots,,,,,,i found in the years,,,,its like a radiating chart,,,,,,,,find the does,,,,,,Aug-early sept,,,smaller bucks(spike,,2 point),,,will either be with the does,,,or not far behind,,,,,,,,further out in that radiating circle,,,,,the more mature bigger bucks,,(batchlor groups),,,,will be in the vacinity,,,but a little further out,,,,,,,,,come mid Sept,,,,after all scouting,,,and comfortable with an area,,,,,for me as a rule of thumb,,,,,,i start to use a rattle bag 3rd week of Oct,,(pre-rut),,,,,i use it sparingly,,,,,just enough to catch the attention,,,,,,but like stated above,,,,,,its some pretty thick knarly stuff,,,,,,but remember in the thick stuff,,,,its just as important to hunt by sound as by sight,,,you dont wanna be caught looking left,,,when they appear right,,,giving you NO time to raise rifle,,,,,,,,tree stands are great,,,,,but i do most of my hunting on ground with self made blind,,(logs,,brush,,branches),,,i will always set my blind on the highest point possible,,,and always if possible 40 ish yards from the trail,,,,,,,but each and to their own,,,,,everyone has a way to hunt them

RyoTHC
10-20-2019, 12:19 PM
ohhh forsure the bucks are there,,(bigger bucks),,,,,,they are not un-wise,,,,,,,i have many spots i scout in direct relation to kamloops,,,with the farthest being aprox 25-30 min drive from town,,,,,like i said in earlier posts in this thread,,i been studing whitetail in kamloops region for a very very very long time now,,,,,,,#1 rule i found with myself,,,,remember this just me,,,,,from July on,,,,take a mental pic of EVERY place you see a whitetail,,,,,work those spots,,,,,,i found in the years,,,,its like a radiating chart,,,,,,,,find the does,,,,,,Aug-early sept,,,smaller bucks(spike,,2 point),,,will either be with the does,,,or not far behind,,,,,,,,further out in that radiating circle,,,,,the more mature bigger bucks,,(batchlor groups),,,,will be in the vacinity,,,but a little further out,,,,,,,,,come mid Sept,,,,after all scouting,,,and comfortable with an area,,,,,for me as a rule of thumb,,,,,,i start to use a rattle bag 3rd week of Oct,,(pre-rut),,,,,i use it sparingly,,,,,just enough to catch the attention,,,,,,but like stated above,,,,,,its some pretty thick knarly stuff,,,,,,but remember in the thick stuff,,,,its just as important to hunt by sound as by sight,,,you dont wanna be caught looking left,,,when they appear right,,,giving you NO time to raise rifle,,,,,,,,tree stands are great,,,,,but i do most of my hunting on ground with self made blind,,(logs,,brush,,branches),,,i will always set my blind on the highest point possible,,,and always if possible 40 ish yards from the trail,,,,,,,but each and to their own,,,,,everyone has a way to hunt them

i can’t sit still, for even twenty minutes. This is why white tail are and will continue to be my biggest rival lol, I like to put the boots on the ground and cover ground, I guess I enjoy hiking more LOL

lots of great advise in this thread, growing up in Ontario I knew nothing but whitetail, thinking back in 20 years there I never once saw a jaw dropper buck, nothing more than a 2-3 year old tops.

hmmm

B-rad
10-20-2019, 12:20 PM
also on a side note,,,,,,last 4-5 years hunting whitetail,,,,,i have not used a rifle,,,,,,i switched to a 12 gauge using foster slugs,,,,,2 inch groups at 75 yards,,,,,it helps HUGE when you can cut through some of the brush,,,,and the shot staying on target,,,,farthest shot iv takin to this day in the brush is aprox 60 yards,,,,,,,with 35-50 yards being the more common shot distance,,,and just a simple 3x9 busnel scope

Pauly
10-20-2019, 02:49 PM
I’m definitely no expert but from sep 10 to first week of October I like to cut them off moving to their bedding area. I get my two whitetail most years all spikes and does mostly. I’m no expert trophy hunter I’m a meat hunter. That being said this year I’m holding a tag for a bigger whitetail buck I had a few encounters with last year. I prefer still hunting myself I’m not to patient lol I just move way slower and quieter.

B-rad
10-22-2019, 10:55 PM
well,we did it,,,,,,after helping a few people bag some game this year,,,,,went out on my own for couple days,,,,,,,,,only seen 4 whitetail,,,,,,,,,had cross hairs on a 2x2,,,,,was a no go,,,,,i swear he was just chanting me on in his mind and new i almost had the drop on him,,,,,,BUT,,,,,,i went to grab 1 of my trail cameras,,,,,,and on 3/4 way to camera,,,,bouced 3 mule bucks,,,,,,2x2,,,2x1,,,and a spike,,,,,,aprox 60 yard shot,,,but i got my mule buck,,,only a meat buck,,,nothing to brag about,,,,,,but,,,,meat in the freezer,,,,,just finished hanging him,,,,,,i still have 2 more days to get out after them whitetail,,,,,,but hey,,,a 2x2 mule nothing to cry about,,,,,,,i still have whitetail to chase

walks with deer
10-23-2019, 05:29 AM
b-rad.. 12 gauge is a good call in the thick stuff...i have a slug gun aswell for this application. fixed 4power.. that said i have only shot blacktails and bears with slugs.

far to many people dont realize a blade of grass can throw a bullet.

B-rad
10-23-2019, 02:30 PM
yeah the 12 gauge with foster slugs has an attitude through the thick stuff

finngun
10-24-2019, 12:34 PM
Sabota slugs works better than reg.slugs..expensive yeah but no need many of them usually..f..g

B-rad
10-30-2019, 12:13 PM
the biggie whities moving around pretty good now,,,,,,scouted out the spot i talked about earlier in this article where i took the husband and wife,,,,,got a 20 second glance at a 3x2,,,,nothing huge,,,but still so far the largest whitetail buck i got to set my eyes on so far this year,,,,good hand full of 2x2,,,,2x1,,,,,and spikers,,,,,,really starting to notice the rubs and scrapes starting to stick out like a sore thumb now,,,,,with all the leaves//foilage starting to lay flat on the ground,,,,,i only have 1 tag left to fill,,,,,so more than likely holding out for a 3x3 or bigger,,,,,knock on wood,,,,,good to see most people are also having a good year so far,,,,,,,B-rad

RyoTHC
10-30-2019, 12:17 PM
the biggie whities moving around pretty good now,,,,,,scouted out the spot i talked about earlier in this article where i took the husband and wife,,,,,got a 20 second glance at a 3x2,,,,nothing huge,,,but still so far the largest whitetail buck i got to set my eyes on so far this year,,,,good hand full of 2x2,,,,2x1,,,,,and spikers,,,,,,really starting to notice the rubs and scrapes starting to stick out like a sore thumb now,,,,,with all the leaves//foilage starting to lay flat on the ground,,,,,i only have 1 tag left to fill,,,,,so more than likely holding out for a 3x3 or bigger,,,,,knock on wood,,,,,good to see most people are also having a good year so far,,,,,,,B-rad

we bumped a huge big bodied WT buck after dark packing out my buddies doe on Sunday, I was just happy to know he’s right close to breed the abundance of does.. left him over a dozen to fight for ! Was impressed with his size and how he moved, very different than the does and little bucks. He was SMART.

B-rad
10-30-2019, 12:26 PM
awesome Ryo!!!!,,,,,there is definatetly a good stock of WT does to breed up this year,,,,,,but,,,aprox 3/4 of the does iv seen have been with yearlings,,,,which shows last year was a good breeding year,,,,,so good chance there be good handfull of future bucks coming our way next 2 years

B-rad
11-28-2019, 04:26 PM
Well,,,thats it for me for another big game hunting season,,,,was another awesome year,,, harvested my 2 whitetail and 1 nice mule buck,,,,hope everyone had an awesome and eventfull year,,,,,,,now time to finish my year off with bunch of waterfowl and coyote/rabbit huntin,,,,,,,then onto schedual B--C animals and birds in the early new year,,,,,,,hope all the people i helped out this year in PM,,,,all turned out great for ya and the families,,,see yall soon,,,,,,B-rad

todbartell
11-28-2019, 04:59 PM
Let's see some pics of these kamloops whitetails :D

RackStar
11-28-2019, 05:37 PM
Nice year!!

my white tail spot was completely cleaned out by wolves this year I couldn’t believe it. By the tracks in the snow about 20 or so wolves. This was a spot where you could shoot a deer with a solid days effort.

might have to head south to my old Kamloops spots next year.

B-rad
11-28-2019, 08:15 PM
i did get some pics of a few wolves on trail camera,,,,,,but as far as face to face,,,didnt see any,,,but did hear a few at the crack of light,,,,,just east of Kamloops,,,,,but like I posted above my predator season is just about to start here

HarryToolips
11-28-2019, 09:35 PM
Let's see some pics of these kamloops whitetails :D
Lol I almost got a big one last Saturday, wish I had a pic, but they do exist....

Redthies
11-28-2019, 09:40 PM
b-rad.. 12 gauge is a good call in the thick stuff...i have a slug gun aswell for this application. fixed 4power.. that said i have only shot blacktails and bears with slugs.

far to many people dont realize a blade of grass can throw a bullet.

I use a .45-70 with 405 grain thumpers. It seems to be able to get through 95% of thick brush in that 50-60 yard range. I had a rifled 12 gauge barrel for my pump gun, but I sold it and bought a nice semi for waterfowl.

skibum
11-29-2019, 10:26 AM
might have to head south to my old Kamloops spots next year.

Interesting around Kamloops, I found a big effect of wolves on my mulie spot - especially on their behavior as they have become way more cautious -

But haven't really seen the effects on the Whities just down the hill - but I guess they are smarter to start with.

lovemywinchester
11-29-2019, 12:31 PM
There was a small pack of 6 wolves on a beach of the S Thompson below Chase this week. They moved up and are off into the bush. You would think with all the guys out some one would see them where they could get a shot. Cagey *******s

B-rad
11-29-2019, 01:40 PM
when i posted up above about the wolves east of kamloops,,,,was actually above chase winchester,,,,,,glad im not the only one to notice them so close to the river valley bottom

lovemywinchester
11-29-2019, 01:52 PM
I need to get the Tundra tuned up then time for some wolf hunting......if it ever snows again.

B-rad
11-29-2019, 02:02 PM
there 2 spots forsure im gonna hit hard for wolves,,,,possibly a 3rd,,,,,,the 2 spots i have em on trail cam,,,,,,and the 3rd im just going by hearing em and lots of sign,,,tracks//scat,,,,,,and 1 full half eatin deer carcus

tipper
11-29-2019, 10:56 PM
there 2 spots forsure im gonna hit hard for wolves,,,,possibly a 3rd,,,,,,the 2 spots i have em on trail cam,,,,,,and the 3rd im just going by hearing em and lots of sign,,,tracks//scat,,,,,,and 1 full half eatin deer carcus

Good luck! Unless you're trapping you just might need it.

Jereky
10-17-2020, 07:00 PM
Does the offer still stand for some WT info????

RyoTHC
10-17-2020, 07:11 PM
Wonder how B Rad is doing this season...

few more weeks and I’ll start pounding the white tail haunts, hunting partner already has a nice little buck down..

any updates OP!?
white tail population in my areas seems to be exploding.

Nimrod
10-18-2020, 06:20 AM
We might not see them but they exist
https://i.imgur.com/7Uu7hpe.jpg

Jereky
10-18-2020, 10:15 PM
Wonder how B Rad is doing this season...

few more weeks and I’ll start pounding the white tail haunts, hunting partner already has a nice little buck down..

any updates OP!?
white tail population in my areas seems to be exploding.

Any tips or tricks for finding the WT?? I’ve seen a bunch on private land and unfortunately the area I had worked on last year i was unable to get permissions to hunt this year and that didn’t happen until Aug 30! So now I’m looking for a plan B but there are so many directions from town I’m lost where to start. Out in every direction and put pots of moles on the boots this year so far with nothing to show for it!

Night Hawk 3
10-19-2020, 01:05 AM
That's awesome!

Well done on taking that boar.

My partner Emily and I moved to Kamloops last year (Barnhartvale), but have yet to really get out doing any hunting here. If anyone has any good tips to find a nice deer for Emily to shoot, that would be awesome.

We did okay up in the Dawson Creek area, but it would great to meet some more local hunters, share some stories, and explore some of the terrain around here.

PM me or reply here if you have any tips.

Thanks,

John aka NH3

HarryToolips
10-19-2020, 06:47 AM
Nimrod: love the buck with the drop tines....Jereky & NightHawk: WT's love thick nasty $hit...learn to identify key WT habitat, and hunt it, a good read is called 'whitetail advantage'....reg 3 WT such as Nimrods as mentioned exist...I helped my buddy take this buck out of reg 3 this year....

HarryToolips
10-19-2020, 06:49 AM
WOW this site is seriously giving my probs uploading pics they gotta make it easier I'll try later....

sakohunter
10-19-2020, 06:57 AM

That is awesome!! I hope you get your canker buck for saving deer and moose fawns.

HarryToolips
10-19-2020, 07:36 PM
I've posted tonnes of pics on this site and when I use the URL function now it brings up a whole bunch of other URL codes which makes it harder to just post..moderators gotta fix that anyway...
Here's a reg 3 buck we took this year...

[/url]http://i.imgur.com/n8D3SrQ.jpg (https://imgur.com/n8D3SrQ)

j270wsm
10-19-2020, 08:11 PM
Great buck

Stillhunting
12-05-2020, 06:07 PM
A couple of Kamloops bucks.

https://i.postimg.cc/nrHYG7pT/20201204-101302.jpg (https://postimg.cc/hz5dSXJ7)

https://i.postimg.cc/KjXCG07j/20201115-162632.jpg (https://postimg.cc/vgz0XLNw)