PDA

View Full Version : Butcher recommendations Salmon Arm - Lumby

Dash
09-08-2019, 02:52 PM
Hey all,

Hope you're getting as excited as I am for the 10th!

I'm hoping some of you folks can help me out with some recommendations for butchers. I'm in Armstrong but I'm willing to travel a bit for a good butcher. I've only lived up here for a year and a half/1 season and the only one my husband and I have experience with is Grillers in Vernon. No offense to them, I just want to try and find other options.

Thanks so much and best of luck to everyone!

Jmazu
09-08-2019, 08:40 PM
Sundowner in Lumby is good. Used them for pork last year, bacon is great.

Sportster
09-08-2019, 10:26 PM
We do our own butchering but we take our trim to butcher to be made into a variety of sausage. When in Alberta we go to Sandy view, and in BC we take our trim to Tappen meats, just south of Salmon Arm. The guy in Tappen has a good reputation over the years for producing good quality product.

TUGGER
09-09-2019, 02:55 AM
Second tapped meats

TUGGER
09-09-2019, 02:55 AM
Tappen meats

Dash
09-09-2019, 12:38 PM
Really appreciate the suggestion so far, thanks guys!

I tried to get into Sundowner last year but I don't think they were accepting any more game for the year (I can' really remember!) I'll try again though.

I'll definitely look into Tappen meats as well.

mike31154
09-09-2019, 01:22 PM
RT Ranch in Cherryville has an ad in the current Regulations Synopsis, page 88. I've never used them but would be another option in our region. I also enquired at Helmut's Sausage in Vernon although that was a number of years ago. The lady that served me did mention they would make sausage etc. for xx$$/pound but the meat had to be deboned, ready to go. The fellow that used to own Ritter's in Vernon would probably do it too, but he shut his business down a number of years ago.

Buckmeister
09-09-2019, 10:30 PM
Helmut's in Vernon is one of THE best when it comes to sausage or pepperoni. Do need to be deboned, so I usually just bring in trim or burger. Sedo's in Salmon Arm is also an excellent choice, and two years ago they took my whole deer. I've heard good things about Mike's Meats just north of Enderby, but never used them myself. You can find them a few hundred yards up the hill towards Salmon Arm past Bairds ready mix.

Looking_4_Jerky
09-09-2019, 11:52 PM
Can also vouch for Sedos in Salmon Arm. Have had them do pepperoni and is one of the best I've had.

bigredchev
09-10-2019, 06:43 AM
Good info to know. Thanks

338win mag
09-10-2019, 07:18 AM
Westland sausage (walter) on the 97b between enderby and salmon arm is an exellent meatcutter and sausage maker, he is in the book.

Redo
09-10-2019, 11:54 PM
Usually we do our own, however my son arrowed a whitetail on opening day and I had to choose between butchering or hunting on the second. Considering i was back to work on the third and the Okanagan temps, the butcher was a small price to pay. Was surprised that Sundowner was closed at 7:30 pm opening bow/youth day so got in touch with RT Ranch in Cherryville. Picking up the meat tomorrow but have to say that the customer service was excellent!

Buckmeister
09-25-2019, 07:46 AM
Westland sausage (walter) on the 97b between enderby and salmon arm is an exellent meatcutter and sausage maker, he is in the book.

I forgot to mention this guy, used him once when everywhere else was full. Made nice pepperoni but he cut the steaks way to small, European style I guess. I like a thick steak, and something bigger in diameter than a golf ball which is what he did. Otherwise is a good butcher.

nano
09-25-2019, 10:38 AM
I have used Rory at RT many times and he does great work. He does get busy so it is best to call ahead .

waserwolf
09-25-2019, 08:55 PM
I've used Helmuts in Vernon for years. Yes, meat must be deboned. Don't forget to bring your Tag for their records, they won't take your Meat without spent Tag info.

Dash
09-26-2019, 01:45 PM
Well as luck would have it my brother and I ended up getting a beautiful 4 point md opening day so we ended up going to Tappen. All I can say is wow. The entire experience was fantastic. They were so kind and patient in answering all my questions (I'm still very new at this) and I'm so happy with how they handled all the meat. The pepperoni is some of the best I've ever had and I can't wait to try everything else. I really hope that they have room to take in my next deer because I don't want to go anywhere else!

Thank you for all the helpful suggestions everyone!

338win mag
09-26-2019, 08:45 PM
Good to know, thanks Dash.