PDA

View Full Version : More about pal ,,,waiting

finngun
09-07-2019, 01:22 PM
My new rpal is processed..just hanging in the mail...old is expired..so can I go to rr. On hunting All by myself ,,,or not before new one is in my hand?I heard 2 answers ...yes and NO.......it takes more than 45days ...they promised. Sad:frown:

KodiakHntr
09-07-2019, 03:25 PM
I have never been asked by a CO for a PAL...

northof49
09-07-2019, 05:16 PM
No valid PAL in hand = No go

Boner
09-07-2019, 05:33 PM
I have never been asked by a CO for a PAL...

And I’ve been asked every time. You must be super handsome or something. :D

Ive even had to get out and put my hands on the hood while my truck got rifled through to make sure I wasn’t lying.

Rayne
09-07-2019, 05:34 PM
I’ve heard that you can hunt with another person as long as they are within arms reach and they hold a valid pal. The regs should be consulted before you take advice from us haha

BriarPatch
09-07-2019, 08:11 PM
It is my understanding that since you do not need a PAL to take core you do not need a PAL to hunt (Demonstrate knowledge of firearms), also think bow hunting, kids hunting. It is also my understanding that you do not need a PAL to use a firearm as long as you are under the control of a person who is correctly licenced. Under the control was described to me as being able to communicate without the need for an amplified voice ie. radio/phone etc. This came from a CO but others or RCMP may view differently.

Why not call the RCMP Firearms center I have always found them to be very helpful & it is not worth losing your PAL over.

Mudsey
09-07-2019, 08:18 PM
It's my understanding that if you are approved and it's in the system you're good to go. I sent my renewal in electronically last Feb before it was set to expire in mid May. I didn't recieve my new one until July, but was told I was approved so didn't have to worry about possessing my restricted and prohibited firearms. I was left with the impression that I was fine to carry firearms as I was approved. They also told me there was a big backlog as they were having problems with the machine that printed them and hence the big delays.

northof49
09-07-2019, 08:26 PM
OP asked if could go “all by himself” ...answer is NO. Can’t be in possession of a firearm on your own without PAL.

butcher
09-07-2019, 09:22 PM
I know what I’d be doing.

Arctic Lake
09-07-2019, 10:36 PM
I’ve heard that you can hunt with another person as long as they are within arms reach and they hold a valid pal. The regs should be consulted before you take advice from us haha
Went through this myself at one time about hmmm we’ll a long time ago . Firearms officer at that time in Surrey said you can still hunt if you don’t have your PAL just need to be within arms reach of someone who does have there’s .
Arctic Lake

Redo
09-07-2019, 11:24 PM
I was getting worried about being in the same situation at the end of July. I phoned the RCMP and was told: 1) My PAL renewal had been approved and was awaiting processing of the card, and 2) if my current card were to expire before the new card arrived, be sure to keep all firearms safely stored. So, answer is no.

FYI, card arrived about 10 days later.

Cyrus
09-08-2019, 05:56 AM
If you were actually approved and have a valid pal but you have not received the card you should be good to go. They can easily look it up. If it says it's still being processed than you are not valid.

finngun
09-08-2019, 10:46 AM
Yes it been approved...coming in week or two...but duck hunting starts in 2days ...i wanna be there,,

northof49
09-08-2019, 12:33 PM
Good luck with that....must be able to produce it if asked

KodiakHntr
09-08-2019, 12:53 PM
And I’ve been asked every time. You must be super handsome or something. :D

Ive even had to get out and put my hands on the hood while my truck got rifled through to make sure I wasn’t lying.

I AM pretty handsome, and I don’t look sketchy either..... Some folks just have more stress with law enforcement than others I guess.

Jagermeister
09-08-2019, 04:24 PM
So what is the rest of the story? You have been approved, but the card is hung up, coming in a week or two.
Most rpal renewals take a week or two just for complete process, ie, you have it in hand.
So yours has been approved but is not sent. You have not told us all the story.
Your card is purposefully delayed. Some thing has changed in your life and I suspect that there was an inquiry made of someone and the response was maybe something to cause them to delay your renewal.
I will say this. If you were to go duck hunting and perchance stopped and asked for your rpal or pal and you produced an expired, you can kiss your firearms goodbye. You will have police knocking on your door and enter, without producing a search warrant (stating exigent circumstances) and seize whatever firearms you have. You will never go duck hunting again. Is it worth it?
Tomorrow, Monday, you should phone the Firearms Office again to see if it's still held up. If you are told it's still in the approval state but not in the mail, then perhaps you should ask if you need a lawyer.
For BC Firearms Office, 1-800-731-4000 extension 9530

finngun
09-09-2019, 09:57 AM
jag....//So what is the rest of the story? You have been approved, but the card is hung up, coming in a week or two.
Most rpal renewals take a week or two just for complete process, ie, you have it in hand.
So yours has been approved but is not sent. You have not told us all the story.
Your card is purposefully delayed. Some thing has changed in your life and I suspect that there was an inquiry made of someone and the response was maybe something to cause them to delay your renewal.///

jag.. ya imagination is amazing..well one thing changet...i,m year older......when card is approved,,,and ready to sent or send already..there is NO inquiry going on no more..unless criminal elements are there..in that case card is not proved or mail it out.....but i guess yu never find it out ,,how slow is can, mailing system...? i get 29kg parcel from finland here in 8working days...regular mail....letter from van,island 2 weeks..see the diff.
but when ya gonna try to get new PAL...yu might have a broblem,,,because yu pen,name jagermeister...yu might have to get paper from case liquer store,,,what tells how many bottles that bitter germany stuff ya using /per year..
if to many...no new card..
in very beginning they promised pal in 45 days...what is not a case...and i can't help it..,,,,have rainy day jag..i,m expecting my card any day..no worries,,why yu don,t join salmon arm gun club,,,i know shooting range in case,,no good..:redface::idea:

Boner
09-09-2019, 10:19 AM
Most of the RPAL holdups are from the CFO office wanting to see proof of range membership. I told the CFO woman I talked to that they rcmp/cfp site needs an upload feature for a photo of range membership. She didn’t disagree with me, but said that the office where the paperwork initially goes do doesn’t care if RPAL applicants have a range membership or not. Just the CFO office is interested in it. Typical bureaucracy.

Problem solved in a 15 minute phone call. Most of that time was spent on hold. Quick photo of range membership emailed to them and bingo.

Every single RPAL renewal I’ve done is held up for this reason. And it only got processed because I phoned in to see what the holdup was. They could solve the problem, but won’t. Any tinkering with their online system might break it like Phoenix is broken...

finngun
09-09-2019, 10:29 AM
yep boner,,,,why it is to much to ask that membership in first place..only in canada y see? bureaucracy just keep going on..simple thing to fix ..

Ron.C
09-09-2019, 10:47 AM
My RPAL is coming up for renewal. Do you need a range membership if you want to renew an RPAL but dont currently own any restricted firearms?

Pacemaker
09-09-2019, 11:06 AM
My RPAL is coming up for renewal. Do you need a range membership if you want to renew an RPAL but dont currently own any restricted firearms?

Shouldn't need a range membership in your scenario. I just renewed my RPAL earlier this summer. I don't own any restricted firearms, and nobody at the Firearms Center asked for proof of range membership. Had my nice shiny new RPAL in my hands in only a few weeks. Very easy and painless. No problems at all.

VI Blacktails
09-09-2019, 11:52 AM
My son mailed in his new PAL application in Feb hoping to get it in time for bear season finally he called at the start of July and they said it was processed and he would receive it in 2 weeks which he did.It only took 6 months great government serveces

303savage
09-09-2019, 12:28 PM
Has having to have a P.A.L P.O.L etc, made any difference in the number of gun crimes? I hear on the news about shootings but never hear if the shooter was legally allowed to own a firearm.

Jagermeister
09-09-2019, 02:30 PM
The range membership is to determine whether there is a need to issue a Authorization To Transport. No range membership, no ATT.

Renewing a RPAL is more or less a given unless you are applying after your RPAL has expired. There is going to be a delay of game as it is more or less handled as a new application. Expect the same for a expired PAL. To avoid the hassles, renew before expiration.

If you are a first time applicant for a RPAL, you are going to be asked why you need it. You will be waiting and waiting and it will require a phone call to the CFO office to see why the holdup and that is when you will be asked why you need a RPAL. They are not going to contact you. You may circumvent this if you were to provide a copy of a valid membership to an approved club.

And finngun, I do belong to a club, but not the one you conveniently suggested, thanks anyway. I have held restricted back into the old FAC days so I am not a new comer to this, get what I mean?:cool:

FWIW, when I renewed 2 years ago, from the date of application to day RPAL was in hand was under 2 weeks. That was probably exceptional and not all have that turn around time.

Finngun is waiting in eager anticipation for this reply so without further ado...postedhttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.png

finngun
09-09-2019, 08:25 PM
thnx jag.:redface:.and just day before duck hunting starts...my shiny new rpal come by mail...wau..timing was ok..i'm thrusted gun owner again..:redface:..finnygun,,

northof49
09-10-2019, 01:41 AM
Should invest in a finglish dictionary :wink:

Redthies
09-10-2019, 08:21 AM
:mrgreen:
Should invest in a finglish dictionary :wink:

I bet his Finglish is better than your Ennish! :mrgreen:

finngun
09-10-2019, 10:25 AM
Fingliska is mix English.. and Finnish,, ismo leikola in y tube is giving samples..wahhh:mrgreen: