PDA

View Full Version : Elk and wolves in region 8

dd3boss
09-06-2019, 09:55 PM
Saw a huge bull elk with 4 cows yesterday but they were at 360 yards up a steep hill and I have a bad knee so I had to watch them walk away. Tried calling and bugling and the bull wasn’t interested or didn’t want to fight. Decided to camp out in the area for first light this morning but didn’t see or hear anything.
Walked a bit and found a nice spot to sit and watch and 20 minutes later I could hear some movement in the trees. All of a sudden it sounded like the whole herd of elk was coming right out in front of me. I cocked my bow and waited and 60 yards from me out popped a small cow elk running like crazy. Now I’m thinking this is awesome and i’m ready for the bull to pop out of the trees. But what do you know, it’s a white wolf in hard pursuit of that elk! I so wanted to try a shot at the wolf but they aren’t open for 4 more days. So I watched as they ran off down the hill with the cow elk gaining distance on that wolf. About 5 minutes later I see the wolf coming back but it disappeared around 300 yards away.
Sat for another 10 or so minutes and all of a sudden a grey wolf pops out at the same place (60 yards away) the cow elk and white wolf came out. But this one is angling right towards me. So I cocked my bow again and when it hit 40 yards from me I let the arrow loose in front of it. It still kept coming so I pulled my knife out and laid it in my lap. Then I cocked another arrow and this time the wolf was only 13 yards from me but instead of coming right at me, it slightly angled away as I followed it with my arrow. It got as close as 10 yards away as it passed me and then disappeared down the hill. The whole time it never made eye contact with me or acknowledged I was there. Weirdest morning I’ve had in many years and I can’t wait for the 10th to put a bullet in them if I see them.

Andy

Bugle M In
09-06-2019, 10:11 PM
Please DO!!!
They can do a number on elk!!! if left alone.

jan.wi97
09-06-2019, 10:49 PM
I’ll join on Wolf any day!!
also hunt the MU-8 if you care to get out
together

twoSevenO
09-06-2019, 10:59 PM
4 days out of season ..... is wolf poaching even a thing? Lol

Jrax
09-06-2019, 11:12 PM
wow! exciting times and very cool story, hope you get a connect on an elk and possible a wolf!

J-F
09-07-2019, 12:27 AM
Sss ? .....

Redthies
09-07-2019, 03:20 AM
I had a black one pass about 15 yards away from me last fall and it also never even looked my way. Carbine was still in pack mode as I had just arrived in “the zone” and was figuring out where I was going to sit and watch the trail I found for whitetail movement. It was a very cool experience, but not as good as your show was! I think if I was to start bow hunting, a Henry Mares Leg in .44 mag would be along for the ride.

Ride Red
09-07-2019, 05:49 AM
Saw a huge bull elk with 4 cows yesterday but they were at 360 yards up a steep hill and I have a bad knee so I had to watch them walk away. Tried calling and bugling and the bull wasn’t interested or didn’t want to fight. Decided to camp out in the area for first light this morning but didn’t see or hear anything.
Walked a bit and found a nice spot to sit and watch and 20 minutes later I could hear some movement in the trees. All of a sudden it sounded like the whole herd of elk was coming right out in front of me. I cocked my bow and waited and 60 yards from me out popped a small cow elk running like crazy. Now I’m thinking this is awesome and i’m ready for the bull to pop out of the trees. But what do you know, it’s a white wolf in hard pursuit of that elk! I so wanted to try a shot at the wolf but they aren’t open for 4 more days. So I watched as they ran off down the hill with the cow elk gaining distance on that wolf. About 5 minutes later I see the wolf coming back but it disappeared around 300 yards away.
Sat for another 10 or so minutes and all of a sudden a grey wolf pops out at the same place (60 yards away) the cow elk and white wolf came out. But this one is angling right towards me. So I cocked my bow again and when it hit 40 yards from me I let the arrow loose in front of it. It still kept coming so I pulled my knife out and laid it in my lap. Then I cocked another arrow and this time the wolf was only 13 yards from me but instead of coming right at me, it slightly angled away as I followed it with my arrow. It got as close as 10 yards away as it passed me and then disappeared down the hill. The whole time it never made eye contact with me or acknowledged I was there. Weirdest morning I’ve had in many years and I can’t wait for the 10th to put a bullet in them if I see them.

Andy

Exciting events you had, great story. Only one mistake; you should have shot the wolf.

338win mag
09-07-2019, 05:50 AM
just shoot.

Walksalot
09-07-2019, 07:16 AM
If someone sees and reports you then the CO has no alternative but to charge you under the wildlife act, it is called poaching. You are jeopardizing your hunting privileges.

Ride Red
09-07-2019, 08:15 AM
If someone sees and reports you then the CO has no alternative but to charge you under the wildlife act, it is called poaching. You are jeopardizing your hunting privileges.

When a predator continues on a direct path at you, protection of life comes into play. This doesn’t jeopardize your hunting privilege.

Ourea
09-07-2019, 12:51 PM

Absolute nonsense.
Personal and public safety trumps any aspect of wildlife regulations ....... period.
If you feel that you are in imminent danger you have all rights to protect yourself....period

Liveforthehunt
09-07-2019, 01:01 PM
Absolute nonsense.
Personal and public safety trumps any aspect of wildlife regulations ....... period.
If you feel that you are in imminent danger you have all rights to protect yourself....period

I could not agree more .. just recently had a run in bow hunting in the high country for elk .. G bear and cub got within close proximity thankfully ended up going the right direction or may have seen the 45-70

Ourea
09-07-2019, 01:12 PM
I could not agree more .. just recently had a run in bow hunting in the high country for elk .. G bear and cub got within close proximity thankfully ended up going the right direction or may have seen the 45-70

Get's the heart rate up doesn't it.

Bugle M In
09-07-2019, 01:16 PM
I had a dog run at me out in the middle of nowhere.
At a "flashing glance" I thought it was a wolf running "straight at me".
My heart rate went up, and so did the rifle but in that moment, my mind told me something wasn't right.
None the less, something running at you out of no where is not fun.
Neither is a blue Grouse however either!

HarryToolips
09-07-2019, 09:34 PM
That close I'd have shot it and called it self defense...mmm it's coming right for us...

dd3boss
09-07-2019, 10:14 PM
If it was a bear I for sure wouldn’t let it get that close. But the wolf was not aggressive at all. I was waiting for a snarl or growl but it did nothing to make me feel threatened. On the other hand, when it’s open for wolf on the 10th, if I see one, it’s going down.

Walksalot
09-08-2019, 08:02 AM
If it was a bear I for sure wouldn’t let it get that close. But the wolf was not aggressive at all. I was waiting for a snarl or growl but it did nothing to make me feel threatened. On the other hand, when it’s open for wolf on the 10th, if I see one, it’s going down.

Well played. My son and I, while sitting on a scrape line, had a cougar walk up to within 30 feet. It was coming from up wind and didn't know we were there. It walked right up to us and upon seeing us it stood for a few seconds then took off. In my many years of hunting it ranks near the top of my most privileged encounters.

RadHimself
09-08-2019, 09:18 AM
Piss off hippy, They need to die