PDA

View Full Version : FSRs on a Weekday - Logging? (reg 3)

imack91
09-06-2019, 01:18 PM
Hey all, located in Reg3 near the loops, curious how you weekday hunters manage to avoid trucks/loggers on the back roads? Is there a way to identify which FSRs are “active” before you go out? No issues on weekends obviously as no one is working.

Im familiar with FCBC Discovery tool for land use, etc just not sure about roads? Toying with the idea of getting a radio for my truck just in case.

RyoTHC
09-06-2019, 01:45 PM
Hey all, located in Reg3 near the loops, curious how you weekday hunters manage to avoid trucks/loggers on the back roads? Is there a way to identify which FSRs are “active” before you go out? No issues on weekends obviously as no one is working.

Im familiar with FCBC Discovery tool for land use, etc just not sure about roads? Toying with the idea of getting a radio for my truck just in case.

im pretty sure a radio to call your location is required, otherwise be prepared to reverse down any hill very quickly if you come up to a logging truck . We have a radio and listen for other trucks but don’t call ourselves.

marcus44
09-06-2019, 01:49 PM
Quite often there will be signs posted when there is active logging in the area that also shows the radio channel.

Mikey Rafiki
09-06-2019, 02:49 PM
Radio is a relatively cheap investment and doubles as a great way to get help in the many areas that have no cell reception.

bankshot
09-06-2019, 03:02 PM
I run lowbed in the bush all over BC and the jobs aren't just Monday to Friday, there's equipment moving 24-7 and not just in active logging areas. A vhf is a good idea, and don't just listen cause that's what someone else coming at you might be doing too. Just because one direction or the other is supposed to be calling doesn't guarantee they are. I just spent the long weekend in the bush working, so you never know. https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/natural-resource-use/resource-roads/radio-communications/channel-maps

Dash
09-06-2019, 03:07 PM
I run lowbed in the bush all over BC and the jobs aren't just Monday to Friday, there's equipment moving 24-7 and not just in active logging areas. A vhf is a good idea, and don't just listen cause that's what someone else coming at you might be doing too. Just because one direction or the other is supposed to be calling doesn't guarantee they are. I just spent the long weekend in the bush working, so you never know.

^ This. And this is also why you can't just rely on active logging signs.

Invest in a radio. You can get them super cheap (I think I spent around $60 for a Baofeng but could be wrong as it's been a few years) but they really are an invaluable tool. I cringe at the fact I went so many years without one (which included many scary and sketchy situations) and now I never leave home without it.

Redthies
09-06-2019, 03:41 PM
I also have a pair of Baofeng radios. You need a basic Amatuer radio license (Ham) to be legal with them, and technically the written permission of the company who’s channel you’re on, but I’d bet most guys would rather have someone call out the Km markers up/down than run over them with their loaded truck. Monitor the channel for a few minutes before heading up, and try to use proper radio protocol if you transmit.

I once had a Chevy crewcab coming downhill with no radio, and I was going uphill with a load that I could not stop or back up with. We met in a blind corner as she couldn’t hear me calling uphill markers. She tried to back up but I still caught her front fender on the side of the deck and opened the truck up about 3’ along the side. Nobody was hurt, and mid 80s Chevy fenders are about $100, so I didn’t stop. I know her boss and called and said “sorry you hire dumb people”. He was on my side in the whole deal and she bought the fender and always carried her radio after that...

imack91
09-06-2019, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the info all, very much appreciated! I did bite the bullet and order a radio. Who’s got a good reference for radio protocol / how to call?

westcoaster
09-06-2019, 04:00 PM
im pretty sure a radio to call your location is required, otherwise be prepared to reverse down any hill very quickly if you come up to a logging truck . We have a radio and listen for other trucks but don’t call ourselves.

There are all sorts of reasons why you should get a radio.

Being required is not one of them.

There is no requirement to use a radio on the majority of resource roads in BC. There are very few where it is required.

wrenchhead
09-06-2019, 04:50 PM
Call the road name, km number and either up or down. So if you heading into the Bush on 'bush' road. you would call.....'up bush 3'.

Haydenmk
09-06-2019, 05:02 PM
Will a uniden handheld vhf work ?

KodiakHntr
09-06-2019, 05:05 PM
Call the road name, km number and either up or down. So if you heading into the Bush on 'bush' road. you would call.....'up bush 3'.

Technically speaking, you wouldn’t be calling “Up 3, Bush”, because most roads you call up at even numbers, and down at odd.... Up 0, Up 2, Up 4, etc. This tries to ensure better radio coverage of kilometers, AND helps standardize calling, in case you are one of those people that starts talking before you push the button.... if I only hear “....3 Bush” then if you are calling correctly one can assume you are headed down, and grab a spot asap if I am at 2.5km...

bankshot
09-06-2019, 07:27 PM
Technically speaking, you wouldn’t be calling “Up 3, Bush”, because most roads you call up at even numbers, and down at odd.... Up 0, Up 2, Up 4, etc. This tries to ensure better radio coverage of kilometers, AND helps standardize calling, in case you are one of those people that starts talking before you push the button.... if I only hear “....3 Bush” then if you are calling correctly one can assume you are headed down, and grab a spot asap if I am at 2.5km...

That's the way it usually is however check the sign at the start of the road, I have now been on a few where it's reversed and the ones coming down are calling even kilometres.

bankshot
09-06-2019, 07:32 PM
I also have a pair of Baofeng radios. You need a basic Amatuer radio license (Ham) to be legal with them, and technically the written permission of the company who’s channel you’re on, but I’d bet most guys would rather have someone call out the Km markers up/down than run over them with their loaded truck. Monitor the channel for a few minutes before heading up, and try to use proper radio protocol if you transmit.

I believe all forest service road channels have now been switched and standardized to one of the RR (Resource Road) channels set up by the government. There's a list in the link I posted earlier.

Redthies
09-06-2019, 07:56 PM
I believe all forest service road channels have now been switched and standardized to one of the RR (Resource Road) channels set up by the government. There's a list in the link I posted earlier.

FSRs May have gone that way. I wasn’t in the logging business, but had a bunch of helicopter companies, ski area operators etc in our radios.

If we’re getting technical about it, you are not legally supposed to have user changeable freqs in your radio either. They are supposed to be programmed for the channels you are legally entitled to use, and then locked out. It’s one of those things where you’d have to really piss someone off, or be really unlucky to get caught in that though.

WaterFowlin
09-06-2019, 08:24 PM
Aways call when you start up a road, as mentioned there will be people coming down on on a quiet day that may be listening but not calling. This will grab their attention and they will respond.

You will Find signs stating “must call” and the km. Easy enough. Call that km up or down.

You will get proficient at remembering where other traffic is. Once you close in on someone you will both call often and as the light vehicle it should be you getting out of the way. Once stoped at s pull out, advise the other party you are stoped and where.

When everyone is calling and scattered it is a little overkill to call every second km. But it’s important to know where the other traffic is and call accordingly.

Some roads arent straight forward, as in leave pavement and head up a hill. They can join two major roads etc. So the rule of thumb is if the km markers go up. Your going up. Getting smaller you call down. Sometimes you can be headed back home down a hill to the highway and the km are going up. So it can be misleading.

tipper
09-06-2019, 09:30 PM
Don't rely on radios, always expect someone without one. And what area in 3 right now has a lot of traffic?

338win mag
09-06-2019, 09:54 PM
You can get a handheld radio for 250 bucks, they will program it for all the relevant channels that you require, I recommend that.

Bugle M In
09-06-2019, 10:18 PM
Miners if I recall say "km" and either "loaded" = going out or "empty" = coming in.
At least they used to.

mike31154
09-07-2019, 09:28 AM
Here you go, direct from the source. As someone mentioned earlier, having a radio helps, but you still need to drive with care. 1st time I ventured up a road with my radio, calling as required I ended up taking a snowbank to avoid getting run down by a loaded logging truck that came around a corner just ahead of me. Apparently "Sharky" didn't hear my radio calls, although the base station reported that I had indeed been calling. On the other hand, last fall calling my position on FSR which was relatively wide, a truck coming down responded that I don't need to bother pulling over. I pulled into a pullout anyway & advised him I'm not in a hurry. He was very appreciative, big smile & wave as he thundered by.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/natural-resource-use/resource-roads/radio-communications

imack91
09-07-2019, 12:30 PM
@tipper can’t say I’ve noticed a lot of traffic in reg 3, maybe I’m just taking notice of the “must call” and “two way radio” signs around some of the local FSRs. I’ve never actually encountered a large truck on any of the roads during previous hunting seasons (dumb luck?). Mostly I was just asking as a guy who took the 10th off work and wants to get out on opening day.

horshur
09-07-2019, 01:15 PM
Usualy if you dont have a radio trucks will still call your location giving others a "heads up" which is pretty useful on a busy FSR..

Dougielightning
09-08-2019, 01:00 PM
Bottom line is if your up on a actively used forestry road with no way to call kilometres than if an accident takes place between you and a commercial vehicle ie. a logging truck or a crew cab you will be held responsible in the insurance holders eyes, Almost all of the time !! Really simple, spend a lot of time on active forestry roads then get a bush radio from a communications company. Handhelds are 250-400$and have a general range of 5kilometers. A hard wired radio is 600-700$ and has much more range. Sometimes handhold units don’t work great in certain condition valleys etc but better than nothing. Worst case when active hauling talk to a forestry worker if posible they will be able to help call ahead and make things safer or let you follow them. Good luck all

338win mag
09-08-2019, 02:16 PM
Ya, there isn't alot of logging going on where I peruse region 3, mills are dropping like flies so....
I have noticed logging truck drivers caution has diminished over the years, dont rely on a radio, but could save your life and if the road is narrow then you are taking a real chance. Some roads are pretty safe without a radio imo.

I used to drive the crummy for a long time and never had a problem, that was years ago...last year while heading up the hill I was run into the ditch on a government maintained, paved road by a logging truck as he was going way to fast and cut the corner leaving me no choice but the ditch...there are people living there and many houses on the road so it can happen anywhere.

Instructions are at the bottom of most roads with the channel to be used, unless someone took the signs down but they say what to call, its sometimes going up you call odd numbers and going down you call even numbers IIRC, not all roads are the same I dont think.

caddisguy
09-08-2019, 02:23 PM
Usualy if you dont have a radio trucks will still call your location giving others a "heads up" which is pretty useful on a busy FSR..

I had this happen once. We were tucked into a little overgrown pull-off no a switch back. Didn't have a two way radio but we had a scanner and could hear them. Some equipment (I forget what, maybe a log truck) came down the road and gave a heads up that there was a jeep parked off the road.

Same area, different road a year or two prior I met a log truck as it was coming down the switch backs. I drove into the ditch without hesitation, but I remember seeing how scared the log truck driver was. I suspect when he saw me he figured he was about to punt me off the mountain. When he passed by his expression changed to relief and he seemed to be checking out my predicament evaluating if I would be able to get out of the ditch on my own (no issue) Anyway, I felt really bad for creating a pucker moment for a hard working guy who just wants to get home from work without anyone getting hurt... then I'm thinking "ah crap. I'm the reason roads get gated". Man that must be a stressful job, hauling all that weight down the mountain and not being in control over what will happen should there be an unexpected obstacle such as a rec user.

We still don't have a two way radio, nor am I licensed to use one so I stay away from places with active logging unless it's a place that is safe for rec users and log trucks that don't have signage requiring calling. Even a wide, flat, straight valley bottom road I still pull off and let them go by... gets us a wave and a smile every time.

revarchery
09-08-2019, 08:58 PM
Go on eBay
i bought 2 ICom ICV8 radios and a 12v plug for $150.
They are hand programable, never worry again. I’ve programmed all the RR channels and the marine standbys.
JB

widger
09-09-2019, 08:12 AM
Had a few VHF radios for over a decade and they are invaluable up here in PG. I have never been checked and the other individuals using the roads do appreciate knowing where others are on the roads. Simple and effective.

Muledeercrazy2
09-09-2019, 08:37 AM
Bottom line is if your up on a actively used forestry road with no way to call kilometres than if an accident takes place between you and a commercial vehicle ie. a logging truck or a crew cab you will be held responsible in the insurance holders eyes, Almost all of the time !! Really simple, spend a lot of time on active forestry roads then get a bush radio from a communications company. Handhelds are 250-400$and have a general range of 5kilometers. A hard wired radio is 600-700$ and has much more range. Sometimes handhold units don’t work great in certain condition valleys etc but better than nothing. Worst case when active hauling talk to a forestry worker if posible they will be able to help call ahead and make things safer or let you follow them. Good luck all

The radio is a great idea but being responsible for any issues if you dont have a radio is not at all accurate. The commercial users of a resource road are responsible for doing so safely with consideration for all users. That might not happen all the time, but most people are decent and if you drive safely you will be fine. Get a radio and call your position if you can, and pay attention to roads for signs of heavy use.

imack91
09-09-2019, 08:52 AM
Thanks for all of the advice and helpful insight! It sounds like the essential knowledge to take away is - drive safe and sane on the backroads, pay attention to the logging signs, and have a radio handy if possible, be ready to yield the right way if someone bigger is coming downhill. Not sure about the rest of ya'll but getting pretty stoked to hit the backcountry tomorrow!

Wagonmaster
09-09-2019, 08:53 AM
Here on the Island, seeing channels posted is rare in my experience, so travel on weekdays is always risky. We have had VHF radios for years, and I would love to have them on the appropriate channel to monitor logging truck locations (and broadcast mine), but no idea how. Do they repeatedly broadcast their locations as they travel?

338win mag
09-09-2019, 10:41 AM
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/farming-natural-resources-and-industry/natural-resource-use/resource-roads/channel-maps/ok_resource_road_channest_no_freq.pdf
An example
Here is a map with the channels listed for parts of region 8 and 3, if it says channel 18 for example, then you will have received a list with the channels on it from the dealer and the guy who programmed your radio may have put channel 18 on your radio on channel 10 for example. I just bought one and they gave me a list of everything.
My radio only has lets say 12 channels, which is enough to cover a large area like the map shown, however if you go to lets say
ft st john and you want that channel put into your radio then the guy will just program that for you when your going there to hunt.

CranePete
09-09-2019, 11:40 AM
I stand to be corrected, but I believe that the entire province runs on RR channels now. RR1 in Region 3 is the same frequency as RR1 in another region. There are still repeaters for company channels which will have far greater reach. As has been stated, get one if you can and use it if you’ve got it. It’s been my experience on active roads that the real danger isn’t especially the logging trucks but rather the equipment operators. They run a different schedule than the trucks, and are generally in a he** of a hurry. I call when leaving pavement, at intersections where there’s a channel change, and all the “must call” boards.

mike31154
09-09-2019, 03:06 PM
I posted a link to the Provincial Gov't site with info on resource roads back a couple pages, post #20. If folks would take the time to explore that & the links it provides, most questions will be answered. Here's a link to the Gov't of Canada site that provides the RR numbers & frequencies assigned to them. I think most of the province is now standardised, but on the BC provincial site it still says that information posted at the road supersedes what's posted on line.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf11127.html

Channel maps for the entire province available here.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/natural-resource-use/resource-roads/radio-communications/channel-maps