PDA

View Full Version : Salmon swimming freely through Fraser River

Bugle M In
09-05-2019, 01:26 PM
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/salmon-swimming-fraser-river-landslide-1.5271121?fbclid=IwAR3qoVhvTPMV_DvMwBMncVaj0BP_Jr9 adyKMYpNt1a1n1E_466m0L2d_Uh8

Also, they are going to start monitoring the Pinks.
So, the settles the other thread on those Pinks washing up on the Fraser before Hope.
Only one group that has the equipment allowed on the river that can kill that many pinks in 1 shot.
Not a coincidence and those Pinks were far from being at their spawning beds!
Just wasted! for nothing.
Time to stop that crap.
Hand nets, okay.
But not nets across the river.

jlirot
09-05-2019, 02:46 PM
hand nets - traditionally made by hand - by the user or immediate family/tribe of user
no boats but dugout canoes
limit to number of salmon needed to feed family for 1 year - and to share with people in your presence
no sales of ANY fish caught under these guidelines

heck - do this and i'll pay to have the kids come out and watch how it used to be done.

albravo2
09-05-2019, 02:53 PM
Great news on the fish getting upstream!

I know DFO spent a fortune on this problem, I hope it was money well spent.

Steeleco
09-05-2019, 02:57 PM
We can blame the natives till the sky turns black, but I've also blame the customer. They ain't native, they be lazy non natives. Without customers, there's little need to catch more than you and your family can eat.

ratherbefishin
09-05-2019, 04:25 PM
Absolutely,if people didn’t BUY then the FN wouldn’t be SELLING

Ride Red
09-05-2019, 04:25 PM
We can blame the natives till the sky turns black, but I've also blame the customer. They ain't native, they be lazy non natives. Without customers, there's little need to catch more than you and your family can eat.

True, no drug users, no drug dealers.

ElectricDyck
09-05-2019, 07:49 PM

Thats what I've always said..I lose respect for anyone buying native roadside fish...like buying stolen shit from a crackhead..although the way Canada's going it may be the only way to get salmon at a decent price...that or like my neighbor says kill em all so we have nothing left to fight over..

Iron Glove
09-05-2019, 08:39 PM

Well said.
Have a Brother in Law who goes on and on about the blank blank FN's then heads to the reserve to buy a bunch of salmon to can and smoke.
Sorry but you can't play both sides of the game. :mad:

Steeleco
09-05-2019, 09:28 PM
My former job had lots of guys that would bitch their "Fraser river chicken" went up to $15 from $10. They didn't like my spiel!!

338win mag
09-05-2019, 09:38 PM
Buying Salmon from FN is buying stolen goods, simple as that.

Bugle M In
09-05-2019, 11:18 PM
Fully agree.

I just wanted to point out that those Pinks didn't just accidently "wash up" on shore "naturally", and not by someone with a line and hook.
Speaking of which, when talking about "buying fish", even legally, a person who can pay the highest $$'s can always get a salmon, while
someone who just wants to throw the line into the water is finding it harder and harder to retain the fish or even have an open season!
It's like the sports fisherman is the worst type of person to be these days and is being dealt with as if they are the "big problem" in all of this.
Everything is just completely upside down these days.

Anyways, glad to see the salmon are having an easier time.

S.W.A.T.
09-06-2019, 07:16 AM
Have to say the native groups aren't only to blame here. Commercial fishing has had a dramatic effect on fish populations as well, not to mention sea lions and seals.

Bugle M In
09-06-2019, 10:05 AM
Have to say the native groups aren't only to blame here. Commercial fishing has had a dramatic effect on fish populations as well, not to mention sea lions and seals.

Absolutely!
There are many issues for sure!
I am not just trying to blame them.
But we have issues that need to be fixed yet some just do stuff because they can, meanwhile, the average joe that wants a salmon here or
there is paying the price.
I think their Impact is way less then others, that's all and seeing Pinks on shore, far from spawning areas is sickening and maddening!

But yes, we have a long, long way to go to fix "all the factors".
But just like hunting, they just "regulate the "Resident Sportsman", not anyone else or tackle any of the big causes.
Just want to point that out.

Onesock
09-06-2019, 10:50 AM
Commercial fishermen, sports fishermen, seals and sea lions did not kill the pinks and dump them in the river!!! Who do you think dumped them????

Quiet Hunter
09-06-2019, 11:55 AM
Sell a man a fish and you teach him nothing.

Bugle M In
09-06-2019, 02:09 PM
Commercial fishermen, sports fishermen, seals and sea lions did not kill the pinks and dump them in the river!!! Who do you think dumped them????
We all know who did, that's a give me, but we are not politically correct if we say it out loud...uhmmm, think I already did though on another thread.
You know, I am politically incorrect and proud of it.

But we were also saying that the salmon issues (not just those pinks washed up) is due to many factors.
We have to correct "all of them" and again, not just some of them.
Right now, nothing is changing, just for closures and Regs.

S.W.A.T.
09-07-2019, 08:20 AM

Different issues taking place there

albravo2
09-07-2019, 09:20 AM
Sell a man a fish and you teach him nothing.

Made me chuckle.