PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with a Stag-10

Carrollizer
09-05-2019, 10:56 AM
Hi Guys,
Cant find it anywhere in the regulations regarding magazine size for semi-automatic hunting.
I got the Stag-10 from a gun store in Vancouver and it came with a 10 round magazine.
Question is, can I hunt with this magazine or do I need it to be pinned to 5 rounds?
From the Canadian Fire Arms Law - Semi-auto centerfire rifles and shotguns are limited to a maximum of 5 rounds.
Which means I was possibly sold and illegal magazine and am now a criminal...

Thanks for your help

tyyota
09-05-2019, 11:08 AM
There are no provincial hunting restrictions for rifle magazine capacity.
Federal firearm restrictions are different: Unless the magazine were manufactured for pistol, the restriction would be 5 rounds.

Carrollizer
09-05-2019, 11:50 AM
There are no provincial hunting restrictions for rifle magazine capacity.
Federal firearm restrictions are different: Unless the magazine were manufactured for pistol, the restriction would be 5 rounds.
Thought So, Thanks

Bigdoggdon
09-06-2019, 12:20 AM
I believe there is also a clause in the Firearms law about a semi-auto centrefire rifle only available magazine being larger than 5 rounds it's permitted, for example the M1 Garrand with its 8 round top loaded band magazine.

ryanb
09-06-2019, 07:32 AM
Can you fit 10 rounds in the magazine, or is it pinned? If not pinned that makes it an illegal magazine unless it can fit in a handgun as well.

Disclaimer: I haven't kept up with changes in firearms law since I gave up recreational shooting, so forgive me if this information is outdated.

Muledeercrazy2
09-06-2019, 07:49 AM
If it was designed for a pistol like the lar 10 round mags for an ar15 the magazine is legal.

Muledeercrazy2
09-06-2019, 08:01 AM
So if it's an xcr mag designed for a pistol, it is legal for use. Apparently there were some fitment issues, see if the mag release works well with yours. As far as hunting, I believe this has been covered and you can hunt with it, but best to get some confirmation on that one.

limit time
09-06-2019, 09:16 AM
Just remember , cops and co’s Are dumb when it comes to the laws..... get a copy of the law and keep it on you !!

DeepJeep
09-06-2019, 09:36 AM
I believe the stag 10 comes with a copy of the legal classification of the firearm just in case the cops don't know it...

limit time
09-06-2019, 09:49 AM
I believe the stag 10 comes with a copy of the legal classification of the firearm just in case the cops don't know it...

I was referring to the “pistol” mag and it’s legal capacity of ten rounds. It’s also good as you say, to have the FRT of the gun.