PDA

View Full Version : Rock Creek Area Region 8-12

Sooke Hunter
09-27-2007, 07:26 PM
Heard lots about this area from other hunters. Good for white tails and mule deer?? Moose....few and far between?

Any reports or info would be appreciated.

Leaving for somewhere in Region 8 October 5 - 16.:smile:

Well...how about the Christian valley?

browningboy
09-27-2007, 08:41 PM
Cristian valley will be packed, start off exploring the conckle lake area, it is expansive and holds lots of critters.

jackson13
09-27-2007, 09:01 PM
there are no deer in that area anymore...they all left last weekend

browningboy
09-27-2007, 09:02 PM
there are no deer in that area anymore...they all left last weekend
with the moose;)

Deerwhacker
09-27-2007, 09:05 PM
yup theres nothing at all ... , the last thing i want is a gong show when i go for my leh doe mid oct but thats mabee asking a bit much

Tron
09-27-2007, 10:08 PM
yup theres nothing at all ... , the last thing i want is a gong show when i go for my leh doe mid oct but thats mabee asking a bit much

You'll get your Doe. I was there for 4 days last year around oct 20th and counted 97 doe's, 20 of them white tail. Never saw one buck out in the woods and very few in camp. I was in the Christian valley. I definatly think you need to get of the roads and hike.

MRBucks
09-27-2007, 10:13 PM
You could try the area just north of Beaverdell, Wilkinson Creek FSR. I've seen both Whiteys, and the odd mulie in there over the years. I don't know what it's like these days, as it was at least 10 years ago since I was up that way. Perhaps somebody could give us an update...

Mckinney Creek Adventures
09-28-2007, 02:50 AM
Yep, the hunting is good here. Lots of deer, both mulies and whitetail, Elk, Moose, turkey, etc. The trick is to find yourself your own quiet honey hole away from the roads and work it right. You will find what you are looking for. I know of six bull elk shot so far this year, and I shot a 2 point moose yesterday.

Good luck.

MCA

Sooke Hunter
09-28-2007, 05:51 AM
Are you referring to the Christian Valley area or further south near Rock Creek. I remember going through Rock Creek on route to Grand Forks one year and was amazed by the # of mulies right in the town. Not after your honey hole of course......where would you suggest setting up camp......nearest fuel stop.....groceries......trout fishing. Oh ya and while I'm at it grouse???

Turkey tough to hunt? Smart as grouse?

jakerazer
09-28-2007, 06:14 AM
There are lot's of deer around christian valley and beaverdell area's but there are way more hunters. I believe statistical this is one of the highest hunter density areas in the province. Work for you spot but wear a high vis vest when your hiking around within site of the road. The drinking, driving boneheads are the guy's that will most likely shoot you.
Best of luck

kazul
09-28-2007, 07:42 AM
We were hunting in that area last year,not to many bucks. White or mullies. Alot in the fields on opening day but gone soon after that.

It was a scarry trip,shot at from a drunk rabbit hunting on the road.The .22 shot even hit the truck we were in.:eek:

Too many idiots for my liking,I won't be back. It reminds me of fishing the Vedder, not worth the aggrivation

Scarry stuff

dawn2dusk
09-28-2007, 08:27 AM
Yep, the hunting is good here. Lots of deer, both mulies and whitetail, Elk, Moose, turkey, etc. The trick is to find yourself your own quiet honey hole away from the roads and work it right. You will find what you are looking for. I know of six bull elk shot so far this year, and I shot a 2 point moose yesterday.

Good luck.

MCA

HEy MKA - congrads on your fork moose. That is a huge score for the winter meat supply. I love find'in those type of honey holes. 3 weeks and counting...

youngbuck
09-28-2007, 09:09 AM
Sooke,

Is there a particular reason why you want to hunt 8-12. The nieghboring sub-regions produce well for deer and I believe (others can correct me if I'm wrong) the hunter population is lower.

One question for those of you that hunt and live the southern section of region 8. What is the hunting population like in Nov? Is Oct the most popular time for hunters in this part of the region?

David Heitsman
09-28-2007, 09:50 AM
Conkle Lake is a an excellent place to set up a camp. There are pads available and firepits and the lake is quite pretty.

There are whitetails and muleys. You have to draw for the moose.
I drew last year and couldn't find one there not even any fresh droppings
but have seen them on other years.

sooke hunter 30 06
09-28-2007, 11:14 AM
Sooke,

Is there a particular reason why you want to hunt 8-12. The nieghboring sub-regions produce well for deer and I believe (others can correct me if I'm wrong) the hunter population is lower.

One question for those of you that hunt and live the southern section of region 8. What is the hunting population like in Nov? Is Oct the most popular time for hunters in this part of the region?

yes we want to mostly jus fill our freezer not really trophy hunting or nothing tho would be nice to see a nice hat rack, also would be nice if there are elk in the area

fozzy
09-28-2007, 01:36 PM
Sooke,

I try and go for one of the last two weeks and it is busy there for sure but for good reason that's when the migratory deer start to show up. Just stay away from the crowds by hiking away from the roads.
Nov18-24 for me this year for Whitetails :biggrin:

sooke hunter 30 06
09-28-2007, 02:03 PM
I try and go for one of the last two weeks and it is busy there for sure but for good reason that's when the migratory deer start to show up. Just stay away from the crowds by hiking away from the roads.
Nov18-24 for me this year for Whitetails :biggrin:

ya we usualy do a Nov hunt for the 4 point season muleys
jus a lil more selection this time

browningboy
09-28-2007, 09:36 PM
We have close friends and myself that have hunted 8-12 for 35 years plus, I myself quit hunting there 5 years ago or so but they still go all the time, there are plenty of holes in there with minimal hunting pressure, just have to know where to go, but as I stated before, start at conckle lake and explore from there and stay away from christian valley.

browningboy
09-28-2007, 09:55 PM
We were hunting in that area last year,not to many bucks. White or mullies. Alot in the fields on opening day but gone soon after that.

It was a scarry trip,shot at from a drunk rabbit hunting on the road.The .22 shot even hit the truck we were in.:eek:

Too many idiots for my liking,I won't be back. It reminds me of fishing the Vedder, not worth the aggrivation

Scarry stuff

Damn, shot at by a drunk rabbit??Time to get out of there!:shock:

BigD
09-28-2007, 10:12 PM
Too many hunters from the coast. You fellas from down there have to figure it out...if I had a map book and am from the city and could only get up hunting on the weekend how far can you go? Find somewhere else to go then where all your city slicker buddies are going. Actually, most of ya should hunt closer to the city then you think. You dont need to go all the way to cache creek because that is where every other langely and city warrior is going. You people scare the animals so far in the bush its unbeliavable. Find a place close to home and scout it out, hunt it, and learn how to spend money at a butcher reather then a Chevron, like the one in Hope. (:

partsman
09-28-2007, 11:08 PM
This is the type of buck you can get, but stay in the bush, away from the road.
They are there.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/partsman/CValley.jpg

Sooke Hunter
09-29-2007, 10:17 AM
This is the type of buck you can get, but stay in the bush, away from the road.
They are there.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/partsman/CValley.jpg

nice buck! where would u recomend hunting in that area?

09-29-2007, 01:20 PM
Sooke Hunter,

Anywhere in this country is fairly good hunting for all species. MU's 8-1, 8-12, 8-14 are all heavily infested with ungulates, grouse, etc. The trick is to spend some time here, find a favourite spot away from other people and traffic, and you will surely have success. Turkeys will be open for any bird in 8-1 and I think 8-9 as of Oct. 1. I agree with alot of the posts about the Christian Valley having alot of hunters, and I do not hunt there much, but there is lots of good places. I know of 4 elk shot there so far this year. One was an employee of mine, he shot a nice 6 point this morning that he got a glimpse of last night.

The turkeys are a wiley bird. You will have to act fast if you see one of them.

Rock Creek is a good place for supplies, gas, groceries, liquor, restaurant and bar.

Good luck.

MCA

Good luck.

browningboy
09-29-2007, 04:05 PM
If you know where to go find Ackermans or Richelou, just awesome there but not giving it up as most locals don't know where it is but, in turn our extended family named most of the routes etc. back in 54' when they built their cabin so the name of the routes are most likely not out there.

sooke hunter 30 06
09-29-2007, 06:14 PM
Thanks...great info

sooke hunter 30 06
09-29-2007, 06:29 PM
Sooke Hunter,

Anywhere in this country is fairly good hunting for all species. MU's 8-1, 8-12, 8-14 are all heavily infested with ungulates, grouse, etc. The trick is to spend some time here, find a favourite spot away from other people and traffic, and you will surely have success. Turkeys will be open for any bird in 8-1 and I think 8-9 as of Oct. 1. I agree with alot of the posts about the Christian Valley having alot of hunters, and I do not hunt there much, but there is lots of good places. I know of 4 elk shot there so far this year. One was an employee of mine, he shot a nice 6 point this morning that he got a glimpse of last night.

The turkeys are a wiley bird. You will have to act fast if you see one of them.

Rock Creek is a good place for supplies, gas, groceries, liquor, restaurant and bar.

Good luck.

MCA

Good luck.

Sure appreciate your info.......any moose out in that area..... we are thinking about 8:12 at this point......we are thinking about mulies and white tails primarily but.....

Any creeks or small lakes to fish for rainbows? Where could I buy any extra game tags in Rock Creek or?

What would be your recommendation on a centrally located camping site....forest rec site?? Thanks again...I appreciate your help!!:smile:

sooke hunter 30 06
09-29-2007, 06:31 PM
Wild turkeys...never even seen one before. I've hunted 8:15 before but no cigar. What kind of area do they like?

Are they good eating???

25hunter
09-29-2007, 08:59 PM
The Rock Creek Provincial campsite is a great place to stay, good level clean sites, picnic tables, outhouses (some are running water and will be locked - winterized, keep going and you'll find the regular pit toilets) We have also seen lots of deer in the park to, we had 6 mulies bed down 50 feet from our site, fun to watch, they could care less about us or the dogs.

From there you 10 min south to Rock Creek and 10 min drive North to Westbridge - fork in the road - go left and head towards Beaverdell - go right and up the Christian Valley. If you head towards Beaverdell - a little ways up the road is a left turn that you can use to access Conkle Lake (well marked). Nice campsite with lake access. The main road goes all the way across to hwy 3. Lots of good hunting area all along there.

There are plenty of forestry Rec sites aswell - Taurus Lake, Pete Lake, Moore Lake and HooDoo Lake to name a few (there is lots). I would pick up a Forestry Recreation Map "Boundary Forest District" here is a link that may be able to help. It shows you the local area with campsites and depicts whats available ie, 2wd or 4wd access, fishing, boat launch etc.
http://www.tsa.gov.bc.ca/sites_trails/finding/Maps.htm

Have fun and good luck

09-30-2007, 08:16 AM
There are moose around in holes everywhere. it is a good idea to have a tag in your pocket as it would be sad to see a moose without one. You can get tags at both stores in R.C. As 25 hunter says, lots of good rec sites to camp at if that is what you are looking for. Conkle lake is one of the most picturesque places around here, especially with the Larch and deciduous trees all turning yellow now. We may be there next weekend even though it is only about half an hour away. It is just so dam nice there. It depends where you want to hunt. There are lots of lakes with nice spots up the Christian Valley also. Taurus, Thone, Pete, Hoodoo, Nevertouch (although forest fire may have wiped that out), Sanddrifts etc. Turkeys are only open in 8-1 close by, and they like seeded fields/grasslands for forage with good cover near by.

Good Luck

MCA