PDA

View Full Version : What are you willing to sacrifice for pack weight?

Bustercluck
09-03-2019, 04:34 PM
As I’m sitting here weighing my pack and it came in a little over 50lbs without my rifle for an 8 day trip I was wondering what creature comforts people are willing to give up to save weight and what’s a must?

For me, I have a little bit more food than I need but I kind of packed last minute and I didn’t have a lot of time to really go over my food list and compress it a bit. I must have a Mickey of fireball or sambuca(just in case there’s cause for celebration). I’m not going without a toothbrush either.

I could save some weight going to a lighter pack, the mystery ranch Marshall isn’t the lightest bag on the market and I kind of like sleeping in a full tent so I’m bring my msr hubba hubba.

Whats everybody else doing?

eatram
09-03-2019, 04:59 PM
I find that there are always some clothes that can be left behind. Same with gear (ie only bring a havalon; don't convince yourself that you NEED another knife to deal with the boning. You can do without). Batteries: have a fully charged set in each device with one battery turned around backwards as to not drain it. This way you don't need spares. Underwear; you only need one pair. Socks last up to 3 days. Lose the second pair of gloves. Get rid of the GPS if you've got the delorme. Bring less food; I minimize my food every year and I still have some left over when my circuit is done. Lastly, don't focus on the actual weight; focus on what you NEED. For instance, I NEED real meat. If I go for 8 days, I pack 8 full apples and 8 full cans of smoked oysters. The extra weight is by far less significant than knowing that once i've crested the next hill, I get to eat good.

fuzzybiscuit
09-03-2019, 05:08 PM
I was thinking that foregoing the micky of Fireball or Sambuca in favour of a big fattie would cut down on some weight but then realized I’d also go through all my food the same day I smoked it so probably not the best idea.

butcher
09-03-2019, 05:39 PM
I bought a lighter tent and sleeping bag. Less clothes. Less food. Minimum fuel for the stove. Less ammunition.

decker9
09-03-2019, 06:16 PM
I was thinking that foregoing the micky of Fireball or Sambuca in favour of a big fattie would cut down on some weight but then realized I’d also go through all my food the same day I smoked it so probably not the best idea.

For this reason, I switched to overproof rum, I only need to pack half as much lol, it goes well with a hot tea before bed.

Bustercluck
09-03-2019, 07:07 PM
Unfortunately I have to be able to pass a piss test when I get home. Even though it’s legal we’re still not allowed yet...

twoSevenO
09-03-2019, 08:37 PM
Leatherman ... too heavy.
Mountain house .... tastes like shit and requires a stove and kettle.
Water filter ... pills are lighter and smaller.
Stove/fuel/kettle ... no need for early season hunts. Just extra bulk and weight. I dont drink coffee and mountain house tastes like shit anyways.

browningboy
09-03-2019, 10:30 PM
Toilet paper, that’s what socks and sleeves are for

Ohwildwon
09-03-2019, 11:54 PM
Lots of money = losing weight.

$2000 = Big Agnes tent, r5.7 thermorest mattress, WM sleeping bag= 6lbs

Redthies
09-04-2019, 06:45 AM
Lots of money = losing weight.

$2000 = Big Agnes tent, r5.7 thermorest mattress, WM sleeping bag= 6lbs

With lots of money, just hire some sherpas and go even more lux...

decker9
09-04-2019, 06:51 AM
Leatherman ... too heavy.
Mountain house .... tastes like shit and requires a stove and kettle.
Water filter ... pills are lighter and smaller.
Stove/fuel/kettle ... no need for early season hunts. Just extra bulk and weight. I dont drink coffee and mountain house tastes like shit anyways.

I learnt this season, when a guy has a pack dog along, a leatherman can be a hunt saver. Hopefully my dog learnt her porcupine lesson lol.

ytlogger
09-04-2019, 08:00 AM
There is always something you can get by without, but 50 lbs wouldn't bother me that much for 8 days. Every meal lightens the load. Leatherman or similar, are valuable tools, but there are a lot of lighter models. It also depends, if you are trekking every day or heading for a destination to base your hunt out of. If packing up to move on every day then I look at the tent, food, stove choice etc..

Laurp99
09-04-2019, 08:06 AM
Outdoors Research Bivy sack, WM Ultralite mummy bag, Emberlit titanium folding wood stove, 3/4 length thermarest = about 6lbs or so.

I've accumulated hiking gear since the mid 80's, and since then I have sacrificed some comfort for a lighter pack due to my advancing age.

I used to carry a Sony Walkman, 10 cassette tapes and a pair of shitty speakers powered by 4 D cells. :-x

jac
09-04-2019, 10:33 AM
I did a 10 day hunt this year. Was about 65lbs with 4L of water in my pack. We had a leatherman with a saw blade it was likely the most used tool on the trip. Used it to cut branches to make camp site on sides of mountain. I brought home a bunch of food so will pack less of that. I had 1.6lbs of food per day which was a bit much. I brought my I phone and put a Gaia gps app and kindle app so my phone was a camera,gps,book and back up flash light.

i will be buying a bigger tent for next time weather was so bad and in a tiny tent above tree line in a foggy rain storm sucks. Want to be able to make coffee and play cards,sometime a little extra weight can help on the mental side of things when bad weather hits

264mag
09-04-2019, 03:00 PM
After just returning from my trip and doing a bag dump I can easily lose a few things.
Too many Extra batteries for headlamp and gps and battery bank for in reache
Too much ammunition
Could drop some socks, underwear, shirt, puffy vest, and spare gloves
Could easily shed some weight with food. We dehydrated our own meals and had food bags just over 1.4 lbs, I had extra snacks left over every day.
I am selling my Hilleberg Anjan tent and going with a big Agnes copper spur. The hille is more tent than we need.

With 2 guys there is a ton of duplicity if you really think about it.

What I wouldn’t give up:
My exped down mat, slept like a baby
My kuiu rain gear
My Kuiu super down puffy and pants

Iron Sighted
09-05-2019, 10:36 AM
After just returning from my trip and doing a bag dump I can easily lose a few things.
Too many Extra batteries for headlamp and gps and battery bank for in reache
Too much ammunition
Could drop some socks, underwear, shirt, puffy vest, and spare gloves
Could easily shed some weight with food. We dehydrated our own meals and had food bags just over 1.4 lbs, I had extra snacks left over every day.
I am selling my Hilleberg Anjan tent and going with a big Agnes copper spur. The hille is more tent than we need.

With 2 guys there is a ton of duplicity if you really think about it.

What I wouldn’t give up:
My exped down mat, slept like a baby
My kuiu rain gear
My Kuiu super down puffy and pants

The Exped downmat is a game changer for me, no more aching lower back and horrible broken sleeps, well worth the slightly larger size and weight over my neoair, plus it is way warmer.

PressurePoint
09-05-2019, 01:15 PM
Easiest way to lessen the weight of what has to be carried up a mountain comes off your gut. Lite gear is heavy on the bank tho.

Also lessen the weight of water. Know your land where your hunting and carry less water. Water purification tabs are a heck of a lot lighter than carrying 6L of water.

264mag
09-05-2019, 01:26 PM
We carried a sawyer squeeze with one dirty bag ( platypus) each and a Nalgene plus one spare clean bag. Most convenient water system I have ever used. Didn’t hurt that it rained and snowed for a week. Water everywhere.

Sharpish
09-05-2019, 01:45 PM
Someone needs to invent powdered alcohol ... just mix with water and tang on the mountain top ;-)

BRvalley
09-05-2019, 03:26 PM
Someone needs to invent powdered alcohol ... just mix with water and tang on the mountain top ;-)

The future is now! there are already a few options out there

mooseknuckler
09-05-2019, 03:30 PM
I bought a lighter tent and sleeping bag. Less clothes. Less food. Minimum fuel for the stove. Less ammunition.

Less ammo? What if you run out and you are way back in grizz country?

I run a light pack - Seek Outside 6300 (<5lbs), floorless shelter, and a quilt. It's a good system until a mouse runs over your face at 2am and wakes you up.....

butcher
09-05-2019, 05:41 PM
Less ammo? What if you run out and you are way back in grizz country?

I run a light pack - Seek Outside 6300 (<5lbs), floorless shelter, and a quilt. It's a good system until a mouse runs over your face at 2am and wakes you up.....

I can run out even if I pack 40 rounds. I guess I just stop shooting sooner now!

KBC
09-05-2019, 06:03 PM
Sounds like there’s a black market out there for moonshine.

ElectricDyck
09-05-2019, 06:37 PM
The future is now! there are already a few options out there

Sounds amazing. I searched but can't find anywhere besides alibubba to buy it.. used to know a guy who made moonshine but he's too busy these days..seems easy to get started these days

https://www.amazon.com/Seeutek-Gallon-12L-Moonshine-Distiller/dp/B011ZXMML0/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=still+kit&qid=1567733685&s=gateway&sr=8-1

To the OP 50lbs sounds pretty light for 8 days..I'd be pretty happy with that and would probably bring more jerky cheese and whiskey if my pack was only 50 lbs

Survival Bill
09-05-2019, 09:05 PM
Pack weight don't bother me at all as it sits on the quad..