PDA

View Full Version : what does "GOS" mean?

Pointdexter
09-01-2019, 02:08 PM
Hi all,

I'm trying to look for info on how to hunt mule/whitetail deer and I keep seeing the term "GOS" for when a guy gets skunked on LEH? Something like "check GOS and LEH"?

thanks in advance

ActionJackson017
09-01-2019, 02:13 PM
general open season

Jagermeister
09-01-2019, 02:14 PM
It means you're fishing, trolling actually is the better term for it.

Pointdexter
09-01-2019, 02:20 PM
ah thanks AJ

rocksteady
09-01-2019, 03:21 PM
I hope you are sincerely asking the question, if not you should re enroll in the CORE program..

Downtown
09-01-2019, 04:23 PM
I hope you are sincerely asking the question, if not you should re enroll in the CORE program..

Frankly I think it is a completely legitimate question especially for a somewhat novice Hunter.

Unfortunately many of us use Abbreviations some to safe Ink, others to look "COOL". Unfortunately Abbreviations lend themselves to misinterpretation and misunderstandings which could very well lead to serious consequences and exactly for these reasons they are never used in Court proceedings.

Cheers

BriarPatch
09-01-2019, 04:35 PM
I agree with Jagermeister these are troll questions that are covered in the core manual if you take the time to read it!

Wild one
09-01-2019, 04:56 PM
You guys do realize GOS is not a term used in all provinces and hunter training from other provinces is sufficient if they move to BC ;). This is just one reason someone may ask this ?. I have been asked worse ? by rookies who just completed the CORE as well it’s not a highly difficult corse to pass

Put away the tinfoil and relax even if this guy is a troll(which I doubt) asking what GOS means is not a threatening or a hot topic that should spark conflict( but clearly some get offended easy)

And yes it means General open season

cameron0518
09-01-2019, 08:22 PM
According to his previous posts, he started hunting in 2010 so in 9 years, I am sure he has learned what GOS stands for. 7 posts in 6 years on here.TROLLING

browningboy
09-02-2019, 08:24 AM
Girls out suntanning...

rocksteady
09-02-2019, 08:57 AM
According to his previous posts, he started hunting in 2010 so in 9 years, I am sure he has learned what GOS stands for. 7 posts in 6 years on here.TROLLING

Bingo.. hence my response

eatram
09-02-2019, 11:56 AM
Go out scouting

REMINGTON JIM
09-02-2019, 12:54 PM
General OUTFITTERS Season :tongue: RJ

Rieber
09-02-2019, 03:48 PM
Go out scouting

This is the best response. :lol: The beauty is it's a true statement.

If a guy wants to troll a little - who cares? It's just a little fun before we all get too busy with the hunt. Roll with it or ignore it - it's all good as long as it's not sensitive matter.

Lugg
09-11-2019, 07:43 AM
This thread should have been closed after the first reply.

Who cares if it's a troll? Does it affect you if it is, or does it make the general population of the form look rude and unwelcoming if it's an honest question? What if a new hunter, maybe a youth comes here someday and does a search for that question (like I'm sure you'd want them to before posting) and finds this post, think they will feel good about themselves?

This forum can be so hostile and paranoid about trolls, or people not being "lazy" and looking up their own answers, "use the search function". Not everyone is familiar with forums and the way they operate. Some people just like to converse or personalize their question even if it has been answered over and over.

Maybe if we were nicer to each other and simply answered questions no matter how silly you think they are with a positive attitude it would help in some small way to grow our hunting culture and create a team that fights together rather than one divided. Perhaps one step closer to a voice against the anti's.

I've been hunting for about 4 years or so, I clearly did not grow up as a hunter and do not have the childhood training that really sticks in our minds and allows us to remember things we learn. When I read this question could not recall what "GOS" means, but I do now. I don't live and breath hunting (would love to if I had both the time and access to). I have to go over the synopsis each year and re-read certain laws, remind myself what some abbreviations are, etc.

I also do not have the time to look up someones past posts to find out of they are legit or not.

Happy hunting everyone.

Lugg

wideopenthrottle
09-11-2019, 08:17 AM
after using this site for years I often say GOS to other hunters who don't recognize the abbreviation.... sometimes a quick google search instead of asking the board is better but google does not recognize GOS either so his question is valid in my humble opinion or IMHO...heheheh

eatram
09-11-2019, 09:23 AM
after using this site for years I often say GOS to other hunters who don't recognize the abbreviation.... sometimes a quick google search instead of asking the board is better but google does not recognize GOS either so his question is valid in my humble opinion or IMHO...heheheh

You, sir, have just won the internet!!! (I had to google this term the other day myself)