PDA

View Full Version : 3-46 information

Tuffguy
09-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Hey guys i got a moose draw for mu 3-46:-D. I have never hunted this area before and was wondering if anyone had any useful information on this area.

Will
09-27-2007, 06:32 PM
Hey guys i got a moose draw for mu 3-46:-D. I have never hunted this area before and was wondering if anyone had any useful information on this area.
Have fun with that one.........:wink:

reach
09-27-2007, 06:43 PM
I've contemplated applying for that one... but I've never been up there to know whether I'd be able to get my boat up the river to Azure Lake, or whether there's any other accessible territory. Would love to do a scouting trip up there in the summer when the weather's nice.

Kirby
09-27-2007, 07:43 PM
but I've never been up there to know whether I'd be able to get my boat up the river to Azure Lake

If its jet you should be able to, if its prop, you better be lucky or a really damn good driver.

Kirby

Mtn Wonderer
09-27-2007, 08:03 PM
Had A Friend Tear The Bottom Out Of His Harber Craft Up There About 6 Years Back. I Believe Its Was On The Azure River. Some Of The Corners Were So Skinny They Were Running Logs Like Rails. Cost Him A Pile!!!

Orangethunder
09-27-2007, 08:41 PM
I had an October draw there last year and it was tough hunting. I only glimpsed one moose in 10 days of hard hunting. I didn't bother with the river, lots of boats up there on the opening weekend. Not to rain on your parade but finding a two point elsewhere is easier in my opinion. Bring a good packboard too, ATV's are prohibited in the park.

Best of luck.

Tuffguy
09-27-2007, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the information guys its much appreciated. I'm farely new to hunting. I might just try another area around there any suggestions?
Thanks again for the info

Bones
09-27-2007, 10:44 PM
Hello Tuff Guy
I will be fooling around up there in Oct.A little beer and gas money and I wiill help you out.

dana
09-28-2007, 05:08 PM
I have had that draw twice, once in Oct and once in Nov. Was skunked both times. Only saw a southend of a northbound moose that I assume was a bull. In my opinion that is the easiest moose hunt in the province to draw and the hardest moose hunt to harvest a moose on. I didn't check this years LEH regs but I believe they still are giving out 80 tags. 40 for Oct and 40 for Nov. The shared hunts means you are dealing with probably 100 plus hunters. Do you know how many are killed during the entire combined season? On average 3-5. The biggest problem is the fact there is zero access. There is only one 4x4 access road that is huntable. It is 6 kms long as I believe. No cutblocks to hunt, no road hunting, nada. The years I drew, I had access to horses. You can get into some good areas with horses. But without horses, are you seriously going to backpack a moose out 8-20 kms? The main park road has a 400m shooting restriction. That means, you are shithouse out of luck killing a bull close to the vehicle. The lakes (Clearwater and Azure) are doable with a boat, but 80 tags means, you aren't going to be the only one thinking of hitting the lakes. I did notice a disclaimer in the LEH about access and ATV's. That is good to see, but I think they really need to think of what they are trying to acheive in that MU. It really sucks to burn your LEH 3 year wait on a tag that you can't kill a moose in. All the tourists are pretty much gone by moose season, so why the 400m shooting restrictions? If you want a harvest of more bulls, handing out more tags ain't gonna do it. You need to get some late seasons going like they used to have, and then the success will go up. Most of the bulls hang high up in 3:45 (not huntable) until the snow is past balls deep. With the mild falls and winters we've been having, many bulls stay high up all winter long. A Dec-Jan hunt would acheive some harvest objectives. Other than that, the wolves do their part. And no wolf hunting in the Park. Funny with the Caribou Recovery Strategy, they still won't open up wolves in there, but I guess they figure they need to get the moose numbers down some way.

Will
09-28-2007, 06:50 PM
I have had that draw twice, once in Oct and once in Nov. Was skunked both times. Only saw a southend of a northbound moose that I assume was a bull. In my opinion that is the easiest moose hunt in the province to draw and the hardest moose hunt to harvest a moose on. I didn't check this years LEH regs but I believe they still are giving out 80 tags. 40 for Oct and 40 for Nov. The shared hunts means you are dealing with probably 100 plus hunters. Do you know how many are killed during the entire combined season? On average 3-5. The biggest problem is the fact there is zero access. There is only one 4x4 access road that is huntable. It is 6 kms long as I believe. No cutblocks to hunt, no road hunting, nada. The years I drew, I had access to horses. You can get into some good areas with horses. But without horses, are you seriously going to backpack a moose out 8-20 kms? The main park road has a 400m shooting restriction. That means, you are shithouse out of luck killing a bull close to the vehicle. The lakes (Clearwater and Azure) are doable with a boat, but 80 tags means, you aren't going to be the only one thinking of hitting the lakes. I did notice a disclaimer in the LEH about access and ATV's. That is good to see, but I think they really need to think of what they are trying to acheive in that MU. It really sucks to burn your LEH 3 year wait on a tag that you can't kill a moose in. All the tourists are pretty much gone by moose season, so why the 400m shooting restrictions? If you want a harvest of more bulls, handing out more tags ain't gonna do it. You need to get some late seasons going like they used to have, and then the success will go up. Most of the bulls hang high up in 3:45 (not huntable) until the snow is past balls deep. With the mild falls and winters we've been having, many bulls stay high up all winter long. A Dec-Jan hunt would acheive some harvest objectives. Other than that, the wolves do their part. And no wolf hunting in the Park. Funny with the Caribou Recovery Strategy, they still won't open up wolves in there, but I guess they figure they need to get the moose numbers down some way.
Well don't go and Sugar coat it Steve !.........now everyone will be applying for it next year !!!! :rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol:

butcher
09-29-2007, 11:14 AM
Yeah good luck with that one. May as well hunt dowtown Kamloops.

Kirby
09-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Yeah good luck with that one. May as well hunt dowtown Kamloops.

Hey man, you'll give away all the good spots!

Kirby