PDA

View Full Version : Rocksteady 2019 Dear Diary

Pages : [1] 2

rocksteady
09-01-2019, 09:45 AM
Put up trail cam and salt mid june.. lots if elk and deer first couple weeks.. coyote laid a big dump while smiling at camera.. almost 500 pics first week.. went to Dease lake to fight fire for 2 weeks.. came home to almost 300 pics.. ciws, calves, spikes.. never got murdered in Dease so good thing..

Got back and big time change.. no picks for 2 weeks.. starting to pick up again..

Went out this morning.. nothing but squirrels and nit a pic since the 29th..

Oh well, beauty morning today.. stars sparkling.. quiet as a morgue

rocksteady
09-01-2019, 09:49 AM
Gonna go hard during archery for any bull.. still got an leh for any bull moose, but freezers are barren.. i feed not only me and wife, brother in law and family and stepson and family, so hope to get elk and moose, plus a couple whiteys

rocksteady
09-01-2019, 10:22 AM
Highlight of the day was finding a road kill badger at 5 am this morning, scooped it and emailed the badger society so they can do dna on the threatened population in the EK..

Mmmmm... badger stir fry.. yummy as hell

Bugle M In
09-01-2019, 12:27 PM
I wish good luck!
And enjoyable to hear how your season goes.
Keep it coming.

happyhunter
09-01-2019, 01:20 PM
Highlight of the day was finding a road kill badger at 5 am this morning, scooped it and emailed the badger society so they can do dna on the threatened population in the EK..

Mmmmm... badger stir fry.. yummy as hell

Heard the flavour is somewhere between goshawk and leopard frog

Rhyno
09-01-2019, 03:49 PM
I really enjoy your season updates Mike, thanks for starting a 2019 thread. Was out with my daughter for youth season mulies, it was scary quiet, headed back out now! A buddy dropped a spike bull though.

rocksteady
09-01-2019, 04:11 PM
Dont you hate it after day 1 of elk season you realized that yesterday was a good day to trim your toenails? Not the end of day 1..

Another lesson learned

RyoTHC
09-01-2019, 07:34 PM
Awesome idea for a thread,

i think im going to steal your idea and come next week do the same for my season.

Bugle M In
09-01-2019, 07:51 PM
Dont you hate it after day 1 of elk season you realized that yesterday was a good day to trim your toenails? Not the end of day 1..

Another lesson learned
Ha ha, my buddy always laugh when I call him and say I am on my way to pick him up for the hunt.
Always ask if he has his tags, guns, ammo, and "did you cut your toenails"

Sheep hunt once coming down I could feel the pain, but couldn't believe once the socks came off how deep they can go.
Right to the bine almost.
Like you, lessoned learned.

rocksteady
09-02-2019, 08:38 AM
Morning hike.. no deer, no elk.. 1 huge blue grouse but not gonna risk losing a carbon arrow

rocksteady
09-02-2019, 08:40 AM
HBC come through again.. got a pm from a member (never to be named) asking me to explain my rationale to try to get an elk a moose and 2 deer for my family and extended family (total of 10 people) since our wildlife populations are in such dire straights..

Really?

RyoTHC
09-02-2019, 08:50 AM
HBC come through again.. got a pm from a member (never to be named) asking me to explain my rationale to try to get an elk a moose and 2 deer for my family and extended family (total of 10 people) since our wildlife populations are in such dire straights..

Really?

Now thats a good laugh !

I take multiple deer deer and a bear or two each season for 2 of us.
Filled all my tags last year + a large spring bear and I still have less than 25% of my freezer full!

usually the ones who can’t fill a freezer making the comments lol

rocksteady
09-02-2019, 08:56 AM
All of the family eats wild meat probably at least 3 days a week.. does not take long to eat those animals..

Maybe this is why people dont post hunting stories etc anymore, like we used to back in the early days of HBC..

Too many critics!!!

If the author of the pm was so concerned about populations, he/she would be the first to sell all their guns and bows and not hunt , in the name of wildlife.. no????

Redthies
09-02-2019, 09:13 AM
1 huge blue grouse but not gonna risk losing a carbon arrow

Someone recently asked me about bows and grouse. I explained that an organic chicken is a sure thing, and good hunting arrows cost more...

The trip to Whole Foods is almost as fun as hunting though, as I get to park my lifted longbox 3500 on top of a couple of Priusss and watch the vegans reactions!

Mikey Rafiki
09-02-2019, 09:22 AM
All of the family eats wild meat probably at least 3 days a week.. does not take long to eat those animals..

Maybe this is why people dont post hunting stories etc anymore, like we used to back in the early days of HBC..

Too many critics!!!

If the author of the pm was so concerned about populations, he/she would be the first to sell all their guns and bows and not hunt , in the name of wildlife.. no????

Bang on. Anyone giving people a hard time for feeding their families with legal bag limits has their priorities messed up.

Got a small bull opening morning. Likely not to share the story or photos.

rocksteady
09-02-2019, 09:25 AM
Bang on. Anyone giving people a hard time for feeding their families with legal bag limits has their priorities messed up.

Got a small bull opening morning. Likely not to share the story or photos.

Congrats.. cant say i blame you. Some asshat will give you the gears for taking a legal good eating bull, when, in their opinion you shoukd have let it grow to maturity

KodiakHntr
09-02-2019, 09:45 AM
Now thats a good laugh !

I take multiple deer deer and a bear or two each season for 2 of us.
Filled all my tags last year + a large spring bear and I still have less than 25% of my freezer full!

usually the ones who can’t fill a freezer making the comments lol

Yep, I think you nailed it.
Buddy and I each killed a bull moose a couple days ago, going to kill an elk, and at least a deer or two. GF will kill an elk, and probably a deer or two.

All of it will get eaten if the last 30+ years are any indication....

RackStar
09-02-2019, 09:58 AM
I plan on a elk or moose along with my usual 2 deer to feed a family of 3

People need to worry about themselves more.

RadHimself
09-02-2019, 12:50 PM
Usually the ones who drive and dont hike have the most to complain about

i know where a few bulls are hiding, just need to get a cable car and a mile of cable to getm out of there

quadrakid
09-02-2019, 01:20 PM
Fact is there are plenty of members of this hunting website that NEVER hunt

quadrakid
09-02-2019, 01:22 PM
And goodluck Rocksteady,we all enjoy your hunting stories. Life in the east Kootenays,lots of opportunity.

srupp
09-02-2019, 02:35 PM
Hmmmm goodluck Mike...be safe..
Steven

HarryToolips
09-02-2019, 08:46 PM
Good luck Mike, hope ya post pics of the animals you harvest..

Islandeer
09-02-2019, 08:58 PM
We all hunt for traditional and cultural reasons,spread that around.

Bugle M In
09-03-2019, 10:02 AM
Well, that really disappoints me that a member would say that to another member.
You go Mike.
If it is legal and you have tags and you are going to "eat it all up", then go ahead.

For someone like me, I just don't consume that much game meat (even when I have it:smile:).
IT's not me as it is the rest of the family just doesn't want to eat it all that often.
Elk I drop, MD I am selective because of it.

BUT, IT"S MY CHOICE!.
And if you have tags, it's your choice, and with tags, it is LEGAL.

The reason we have game issues "is not" because of legal hunters!
So, who ever is tooting that horn about taking too much legal game, better get the F off HBC! or "smarten up"!

Sorry Mike!
Back to you and "continue your Reports"!!

Caribou_lou
09-03-2019, 10:43 AM

Really?

My family has been through the same. Family of 5. We harvested 3 moose in one season. One was LEH rifle and 2 were bow harvest. We heard it from numerous hunters around town. Thats too much for one family. Why do they need that much meat. My response is that meat will last a few years in the freezer, and we may not harvest 1 moose next year. Never a bad thing having 2 freezers full of wild meat! We also donate the hide when we can and all the trimmings go to the local dog and cat rescue shelter.

Good hunting this season. Hope you tag out!

rocksteady
09-03-2019, 11:14 AM
An adventurous day.. hiking in to my viewpoint on the river in the dark. Get there as dawn breaks.. 30 minutes later have 13 cows and calves with a spike bull come out and feed on the willows on the sandbar.. nother cow and calf cross downstream.. upstream 3 cows.. getting good.. aint gonna swim the river though..

Look a bit further mid stream and a herd are crossing.. 14 cows/calves, 2 spikes and a raggy 4 point.. they cross and feed onto a different sandbar but i know where they are headed.. its go time..

Run upstream about 500 yards bail down the bank for a couple hundred and get in on the main trail in the thick stuff.. willow pit in front of me and i am sitting in a mature spruce type.. figure it should take an hour for the herd to graze to me.. nope..

Within 10 minutes i catch movement way back to my left.. lead cow walks by, rest of the herd following.. gets to my 10 o'clock and freezes.. think she smells me
. She is 9 yards away trying to find me.. this goes on for 20 minutes.. intense.. she finally walks away, circles around behind me with her girls. Never saw the bulls.. they were all around me for almost an hour, from 40 to 100 yards.. afraid to breathe..

Eventually they all just wandered away, into the forest then another hunter came stomping down the trail, totally oblivious.. he walked by me at 6 yards, did not know i was even there and within 3 minutes i heard the herd blowing out of there crashing through the woods..

So close... yet so far.. oh well, be back there tomorrow..

rocksteady
09-03-2019, 11:18 AM
There was no bugling, cow calling, chirping.. nothing.. just a bunch of elk out for a wander..

Bugle M In
09-03-2019, 12:05 PM
Well, don't need to tell you that you are in the right spot, before 1st light tomorrow and sounds like you could have some fun.
Doesn't sound like they will be far from today, if at all.

rocksteady
09-03-2019, 12:16 PM
And to clarify.. far side of river is private.. near side is crown

rocksteady
09-03-2019, 12:37 PM
Good morning Rock, I just was wondering why you find the need when our wildlife population is in such bad shape to kill enough wild game to feed three families?*
are they on welfare and cant afford to feed themselves? are the physically impaired so they could not try for thier own game? I follow your posts and have the utmost respect for you but in these bad times for our wildlife i just dont see a need to kill everything that walks to feed other families. In my mind this is the 21st century and not the 1930's just wonedering your rationale

Tthis is the note i got..

I will never divulge who sent it to me.. maybe if he/she rereads it they will understand how silly it sounds..

Hunters are huntings worst enemy!!!

rocksteady
09-03-2019, 12:47 PM
Now that its all out in plain view, lets rejoin our regularly scheduled programming.. not gonna dwell on this.. if someone sees fit to cut and paste to another thread for discussion, fill your boots. I am over it

Hunting Adventures in BC!!

Mikey Rafiki
09-03-2019, 12:54 PM
Keep it up and your efforts should pay off. We had another bull within 50 yards but would not reveal himself. Up in the higher country so hopefully the action hits your spot soon.

rocksteady
09-03-2019, 01:00 PM
I hunt low lands.. less Grizzlies ��

Mikey Rafiki
09-03-2019, 01:13 PM
I hunt low lands.. less Grizzlies ��

I hear ya. That's why we only do morning hunts up high and multiple people with guns and spray. Solo we go low for sure.

rocksteady
09-03-2019, 01:38 PM
Plus i know that the grizz have been "dealt with" by the COS.. the collared one i bumped on opening day of rifle last year did not behave and got "dealt with"

adriaticum
09-03-2019, 03:19 PM
Good luck to you and stay safe.
Make sure you have jingle bells around your neck to scare off the grizzlies.

rocksteady
09-04-2019, 11:11 AM
Another awesome but empty handed day.

Went back to the same spot this morning and constant action at the river. But it was different.. biggest herd i saw was 10 cows with 2 spikes.. saw a bachelor band of 4 spikes (got within 80 yards before they vanished like ghpsts). All together, probably 60 or so elk.. and a bunch of whiteys too..

Yesterday they were all in large groups.. today.. nope

Bugle M In
09-04-2019, 11:54 AM
Sooner or later some big boys have to show up.
If they are on private land and without permission, then it is tough.
But a decent satellite should make his way over to you.
But I don't need to tell you that.
Been a bunch of years since I seen a decent herd together.
I also am hoping that the lack of wolf sign "last season" may pay off this year, IF, they still haven't returned.

I suspect we will be seeing some success pics soon.

Island Idiots
09-04-2019, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the posts Rock.

rocksteady
09-04-2019, 12:33 PM
Part of my issue is the far side of the river is private (river is not of course) but no way to get across to the sandbars. Too nuch current, too deep for waders, so gotta hang out and hope they cross to me, and then be in a posiotion to make a move.. and its not flat ground.. from the bluffs to the waters edge is at least 120 metres of cliffs

Bugle M In
09-04-2019, 12:58 PM
Are they able to hear you???
If so, then if there are some extra bulls around, then there is always a chance one comes to look.
Sometimes more?

Question is, are there any legal ones in the area.
That has definitely been my issue, 5pt at best.

rocksteady
09-04-2019, 01:03 PM
During bow, any bull is legal.. tried a bunch of cow calls.. zero takers

twoSevenO
09-04-2019, 01:31 PM
Fact is there are plenty of members of this hunting website that NEVER hunt

And we have ones who think they hunt because they have all the latest gear and spend thousands in gas going out .... but dont ever manage to shoot anything.

rocksteady
09-04-2019, 01:34 PM
And like i say... i am over it.. keyboard warriors..

Ajsawden
09-04-2019, 01:38 PM
The most bizarre part of their comment is with regards to "why don't they go get it themselves"?
How do they thing that changes anything? Honestly what's the difference between me shooting and mulie and two white tails vs me shooting a mulie, my wife shooting a white tail and my dad shooting a whitetail? Same amount of deer killed, same amount of people fed. Potentially more tags bought in the first case because my dad and my wife both hunt. End goal is to eat.

I look forward to the pictures Rocksteady!

rocksteady
09-04-2019, 03:03 PM
If you are legally allowed to take 60 fish, where is my place to say you can't? What you do with them is your right of harvest.. if you eat fish 3 meals a day 7 days a week, why should i question it.. if you don't, but "swap" them for venison, fair enuff.. as long as you are within all legal guidelines, not for any if us to question.

rocksteady
09-04-2019, 03:06 PM
If a "vegan" family of 7 only has one hunter in the group, who eats venison, while everyone else eats tofu, does that mean he/she is not allowed to harvest more than they can eat in a year? (The hunter personally, not the aggregate of household)

whognu
09-04-2019, 03:22 PM
If you are legally allowed to take 60 fish, where is my place to say you can't? What you do with them is your right of harvest.. if you eat fish 3 meals a day 7 days a week, why should i question it.. if you don't, but "swap" them for venison, fair enuff.. as long as you are within all legal guidelines, not for any if us to question.

good points, fair enough

and good luck to you on tomorrow's riverside hunt............

adriaticum
09-04-2019, 03:26 PM
You are not bartering.
You are giving fish to your brother, which you are allowed to do.
And he is giving venison to his brother, which he is allowed to do.

We have bigger problems in this country than to worry about what family give each other for Christmas.

Bugle M In
09-04-2019, 03:35 PM
Here's how I look at it.
Yes, some folks our close to the resources, such a trout, salmon, ungulates etc.
Yes, I am envious of the fact they it is easy for them to get out there on a daily basis etc to enjoy what most of us here on HBC truly enjoy.
BUT, I accept the fact the for me, that life isn't possible, unless "I CHOOSE" to move, which I could if I really wanted to.

I also accept some folks will eat all the game meat they get and I can only hope they respect the animal they take, and take care of the meat
they harvested, and take all the is there to retrieve.
BUT, there are folks like me, who could harvest a MD or WT every season, but don't.
I pass them up, because it's not what I am looking for.
So it works both ways, and balances out, imo.

Now, if we are short of game, and it is hunter or fisherman related, then we need to change the harvest regulations.
But many of the issues we have, again imo, are not what the next hunter beside me is harvesting or fisherman beside me are taking,
under the Regs, but a great deal of other issues, again, not just one issue, but many.

Enjoy it while you can, because changes will be coming to the outdoorsman, as history and the thickness of our Regs show.
Maybe one day we will have people in power that actually see the "real issues". (doubt it)

The bigger issue is when some folks aren't given a limit, but unlimited amount and have a "grocery list" and to further hurt the issue,
don't report anything.

So between mismanagement of habitat in many forms, ignoring endless studies, and some folks thinking they have a right over everyone else,
and no money, I say enjoy it.

Another issue that I have seen and that member has left HBC, is when that member complains of "no big bucks" to hunt because everyone
else is taking dinks, but then that member takes their kids out and they harvest dinks, is the perfect example of "hypocrisy"!
And we also know other Hypocrites as well, don't we.

One last thing, this OP is about Rocksteady's hunting adventures.
Lets keep it that way!!!
If you have an issue with what you read, don't derail it.
Start a new F'n Thread on that debate.

Hope that helps????
Hope Rocksteady can get his own thread back on course! as we need more members like him.
I only know to well how a member or 2 can stop a thread from moving forward.
Why folks like that come on here, I will never figure out.
Only hope they croak sooner then later.

rocksteady
09-05-2019, 10:38 AM
Day 5 update.. at the river at daybreak. Seen 5 different herds across the river, only 1 crossed. In the 5 herds saw clise to 40 cows, 3 spikes and a big bull (not sure if a 6 or a big 5 was 800 yards away)..
The only herd that crossed to my side were cow calf pairs.. oh well, at least i am seeing legal animals.. honestly cant wait for rifle, this 50 yard bow hunting is frustrating as hell..

Maybe "best of the west" could design optics so that i can accurately take a 150 yard shot with my crossbow��

rocksteady
09-05-2019, 10:55 AM
Also watched the big bull try to bugle.. not a nice 3 tone whistle, just a one note gack.. he did this on his own so i suspect things may get vocal very soon.

rocksteady
09-06-2019, 09:37 AM
Slower day cause i was not glassing for long..

As soon as i got to the viewpoint i see 2 spikes upriver, far side, who after 20 minutes drifted into the willow pits.. 20 minutes later 5 spikes came out just below that and crossed onto my side.. was pretty sure i knew where they were going so hustled off the bluff into the thick stuff where i had the staring contest with the big grey cow.. got in there, 15 minutes later, i heard them walk by about 70 yards away.. they never took the open trail i set up on, they took the other fork..

Oh well

Bugle M In
09-06-2019, 09:55 AM
^^^^Any Bugling?

09-06-2019, 09:55 AM
Part of my issue is the far side of the river is private (river is not of course) but no way to get across to the sandbars. Too nuch current, too deep for waders, so gotta hang out and hope they cross to me, and then be in a posiotion to make a move.. and its not flat ground.. from the bluffs to the waters edge is at least 120 metres of cliffs

Grow some balls Rock! And Swim it!
That would be awesome!

I always look forward to your annual... some threads "Take you there" some threads show you the development of a season...... Keep posting!

Redthies
09-06-2019, 09:57 AM
Slower day cause i was not glassing for long..

As soon as i got to the viewpoint i see 2 spikes upriver, far side, who after 20 minutes drifted into the willow pits.. 20 minutes later 5 spikes came out just below that and crossed onto my side.. was pretty sure i knew where they were going so hustled off the bluff into the thick stuff where i had the staring contest with the big grey cow.. got in there, 15 minutes later, i heard them walk by about 70 yards away.. they never took the open trail i set up on, they took the other fork..

Oh well

And that’s “hunting”... Someone posted earlier about people not being true hunters if they have the gear, but fail to connect. I “have the gear” but haven’t dropped anything in a long while. It’s not a lack of finding game, it’s a lack of finding LEGAL game with a clean shot. I still love getting out though, even if it’s frustrating some times.

rocksteady
09-06-2019, 10:07 AM
Grow some balls Rock! And Swim it!
That would be awesome!

I always look forward to your annual... some threads "Take you there" some threads show you the development of a season...... Keep posting!

I will swim it IF i shoot something on the far side or if i shoot it on this side and goes across before it expires

09-06-2019, 10:10 AM
ya, I was jokin' I have fished quite a bit out your way.. the water in summer is flippin cold!
But you gotta admit,,, it would be a wicked story!

Bugle M In
09-06-2019, 10:32 AM
And that’s “hunting”... Someone posted earlier about people not being true hunters if they have the gear, but fail to connect. I “have the gear” but haven’t dropped anything in a long while. It’s not a lack of finding game, it’s a lack of finding LEGAL game with a clean shot. I still love getting out though, even if it’s frustrating some times.

Yup.
I never mention it much, but where I hunt, I am also constrained by a some borders and "no go zones".
So, yes, I might have a potential bull, but either takes off into these zones or is in the those zones already, and there is sweet F'all I can
so about it.
Really sucks when I have had them in a legal spot but they decide to back out and end up in those areas.
Elk and deer are just ending up more and more on private property and they truly aren't going back into the high country like they once were.
They are there, but not like before.

Bugle M In
09-06-2019, 10:33 AM
I will swim it IF i shoot something on the far side or if i shoot it on this side and goes across before it expires

So, this private property.....
Will they not allow you permission?

rocksteady
09-06-2019, 10:46 AM
So, this private property.....
Will they not allow you permission?

Nope.. totally off limits.. which i respect..

09-06-2019, 11:01 AM
I'm surprised with your time in, Rock. That you haven't sewn up a private land deal... or are the farmers/owners there not so pro hunting?

rocksteady
09-06-2019, 11:23 AM
I'm surprised with your time in, Rock. That you haven't sewn up a private land deal... or are the farmers/owners there not so pro hunting?

Some owners are just not supportive.. one property i hunted last year some numb nuts put 6 rifle bullet holes in their aluminum irrigation pipe and never offered to fix it or pay to have it fixed.. that sort of attitude leaves a bad taste for landowners

rocksteady
09-06-2019, 11:23 AM
Others spoil it for all..

rocksteady
09-06-2019, 11:26 AM
One place that used to allow hunting with permission had 4 llamas shot, but no one would man up that they made a mistake.. next season... "no hunting"... period.. understandable

Bugle M In
09-06-2019, 11:26 AM
Yup...……………………….

rocksteady
09-06-2019, 11:29 AM
All 4 were shot by alleged respectable hunters granted access to their lands, ... "we will close gates and treat the kand like we own it"

Nope... not even close

rocksteady
09-06-2019, 11:31 AM
How the hell do you mistake a llama for an antlerless anything? Deer, elk? Cmon people

Redthies
09-06-2019, 11:32 AM
I have a land owner that allows me permission to hunt his ranch spring and fall for turkeys, but has suggested that he’d be unhappy if we shot a deer. I treat him with big respect as I know for a fact that if I had a bigger acreage than I do, I sure as hell wouldn’t want a bunch of guys I don’t know REALLY well running around with loaded guns!

rocksteady
09-06-2019, 11:36 AM
Yup.. cause some hunters are dicks

kosser
09-06-2019, 11:46 AM
lol llama do kinda look like elk from a distance. reason why the farmer lost 4 in one season ha.

09-06-2019, 11:48 AM
Wow.............

rocksteady
09-06-2019, 11:53 AM
lol llama do kinda look like elk from a distance. reason why the farmer lost 4 in one season ha.

Really? I disagree. So you are saying its the ranchers fault???

rocksteady
09-06-2019, 11:55 AM
Hey kosser.. never gonna hunt with you.. period

6 posts on HBC anf you say that.. you are the hunter everyone fears.. landowners, game wardens, ethical hunters

walks with deer
09-06-2019, 11:59 AM
someone shot a whitetail fawn in my neighbours yard took them 6 shots...bullets all over hell.permission will not be granted in the neighbourhood again.

kosser
09-06-2019, 12:16 PM
back on topic, you see anything this morning on your hunt?

09-06-2019, 12:36 PM
c'mon lets not derail Rocks thread on 2 negatives. there is a pile of fun in these. I just asked a honest question.

Kootenaykid85
09-06-2019, 12:37 PM
Kosser dont sweat it, some guys dont have a sence of humor. but if you read his post from this morning he saw 5 male llamas and one big grey female llama.

Bugle M In
09-06-2019, 02:02 PM
Kosser dont sweat it, some guys dont have a sence of humor. but if you read his post from this morning he saw 5 male llamas and one big grey female llama.

:razz:.…………………………..

Bugle M In
09-06-2019, 02:03 PM
I would be more than glad to give the landowner my hunting #, name, full address etc to have permission.
But I get it, some folks don't have guts if they screw up.
But 4 dead llamas makes me think it might have been someone else.
If not, those folks need their equipment etc seized.

rocksteady
09-06-2019, 02:57 PM
Kosser post pissed me off.. if we are going to portray and present ourselves as respectable hunters to private property owners we should not take lightly when someone kills 4 of their livestock "cause they looked like elk"

rocksteady
09-07-2019, 08:35 AM
I would be more than glad to give the landowner my hunting #, name, full address etc to have permission.
But I get it, some folks don't have guts if they screw up.
But 4 dead llamas makes me think it might have been someone else.
If not, those folks need their equipment etc seized.

Talking to the COs when it happened, they were all shot adjacent to a paved highway, not by someone who may have had access to the property, but it still makes all hunters look bad.. making a joke out of it does not bode well. If we don't self police and show our disgust at this, more and more lands will be clised to ethical hunters

rocksteady
09-07-2019, 09:09 AM
Went to my trail cam this morning.. sitting in the dark, cows chirping down on a different river, right at first light truck comes bouncing down the road on the far side. Think the truck spooked them back up the other hillside..

Checked cam, huge spike came in for 5 minutes yesterday to the salt at noon.. other pics of cows from the day before, with, i think a big bull in the background.. salt is in heavy timber adjacent to an opening.. probly back there tomorrow, too much pressure at my other spot being the weekend.. its awesome during the work week, a gonger on weekends

rocksteady
09-08-2019, 09:14 AM
Another eventful but no killing day..

Hiked in at 630 to my salt site.. hunkered down in blind.. at 7:15 had a cow and calf walk by at 25 yards.. 15 minutes later, hear thumping at my sight (i am not set up to see the salt, i am set up on an old landing that they graze on after eating salt)..out walks a calf, then a cow, then another and another... sitting there watching 7 cows between 20 and 40 yards.. finally they wander off..

Check the trail cam... F7CK!!! Big 6 point eating salt just around the corner from my blind, that i can not see..

Now i know for sure how they travel into the salt every morning i will be set up in a little bit different spot.. that bull is gonna die tomorrow

Island Idiots
09-08-2019, 09:30 AM
Thanks for my daily Fix! Yahoo, go get em!

rocksteady
09-08-2019, 09:54 AM
Pretty sure i got it dialed for last day of archery, but if not, the smoke pole comes out on Tuesday and he will die

rocksteady
09-08-2019, 09:55 AM
They only come to salt in morning, tgen they go to feeding and bedding area.. spend the night at water, at first light go to salt.

Only a morning spot.. zero pics evening or night

Kootenaykid85
09-08-2019, 10:44 AM
Thats pretty cool to have such a handy spot close you you rocksteady, Here in the west kootenays unless you have some private property to hunt on you need to drive at least 40 mins to get some good action. whats your commute in the mornings?

rocksteady
09-08-2019, 12:17 PM
About 35 mins

rocksteady
09-08-2019, 12:55 PM
Having a mental dilemna... go in tomorrow with bow and hope i get a shot.. or wait til Tuesday give them a day off and use the rifle on a known six, in an area that has zero other hunters in it.. the site does not look elky, not very big and sort of hidden by terrain..

rocksteady
09-08-2019, 01:16 PM
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/9ad5Ptv

rocksteady
09-08-2019, 01:17 PM
Posting pics is a bitch.. but got it

Kootenaykid85
09-08-2019, 01:19 PM
do they go bed on private property? why arnt you sneaking into there bedding area and arrowing him is my question.

rocksteady
09-08-2019, 01:25 PM
This bull is crown but only for morning hunts... once its full light they go way way way up the mtn

rocksteady
09-08-2019, 01:27 PM
They are relaxed at the salt but totally on edge once they head to feed and bed, plus the winds are very much in their favour.. not their first rodeo

rocksteady
09-08-2019, 01:29 PM
If i go uphill early the downdrafts blow down to them, if i follow them up, the thermals bliw my scent up to them..

Its a tricky one

micus
09-08-2019, 01:37 PM
I sort of had this problem last year as well, I ended up having to follow the elk up to about 700 yds in the morning while the cool wind was blowing down the Mtn ( catabatic winds?!? i believe they are called if you wanna get nerdy). after the sun started peaking through and the wind was pissing around i was able to close in during that half hour window behind them, gain a few hundred feet and was able to avoid blowing them out as the valley heated up and winds changed.

Id wait it out for rifle if your not worried about other hunters. GL this season,

Mike.

Dash
09-08-2019, 01:44 PM
Love reading this every day!

rocksteady
09-08-2019, 02:04 PM
do they go bed on private property? why arnt you sneaking into there bedding area and arrowing him is my question.

Unfortunately, i have been hunting elk for over 30 years, hunting deer over 40...

This is one of those scenarios you cant make a plan and change fate.. they are only in a huntable spot for a short period of time, the rest of the time they hold all the cards because of the winds and terrain.. i will just be patient rather than to push my luck...

I know there is a 6 in there, there is no hunting pressure. If it takes me one, 3 or 7 days to catch them, i am into it

willyqbc
09-08-2019, 02:35 PM
For future seasons....ever considered a tree stand where you can see your salt area?

rocksteady
09-08-2019, 03:19 PM
For future seasons....ever considered a tree stand where you can see your salt area?

Picked my salt site based on it was on bunch of trails, but thick regen (25 yr old pine).. no trees big enuff for a treestand

willyqbc
09-08-2019, 04:38 PM
Dang! Sounds like a great spot...but like you say, sounds a little tricky! BUT....wouldn't be half as much fun if it was easy!! Good luck out there RS!

j270wsm
09-08-2019, 08:06 PM
I’m having a similar dilemma.....found a nice 6pt tonight in a area I know very well. Should I buy a tag tomorrow and sleep in the truck and hope for a chance at him on opening morning, find a new hunter to take in for a chance at their first elk/animal or leave him alone and hope he makes it through hunting season......

RyoTHC
09-08-2019, 08:08 PM
I’m having a similar dilemma.....found a nice 6pt tonight in a area I know very well. Should I buy a tag tomorrow and sleep in the truck and hope for a chance at him on opening morning, find a new hunter to take in for a chance at their first elk/animal or leave him alone and hope he makes it through hunting season......

oh hey friend, elk did you say!?

Haha, best of luck with whatever you decide sir ! Let’s be honest finding these beasts and even laying eyes on them is half the fun.

j270wsm
09-09-2019, 02:14 PM
The hardest part of my decision is knowing this bull will be killed due to his age and where he is hanging out. That’s why I want to find a new hunter or someone who’s never taken an elk to try and take this bull.

Dash
09-09-2019, 03:00 PM
This is now part of my routine, to check this every day haha. Can't wait to read about the success!

Elk is my dream hunt for sure. I feel like they're hard to find around these parts though but I'm still new and only have 2 deer under my belt so my experience on the subject isn't worth much haha. I'm thinking I probably have to head towards the Koots but I don't think I'll have much luck convincing my husband of that..

No update from you today yet Rock. Maybe you're typing up a long success story? :)

rocksteady
09-09-2019, 03:20 PM
No such luck.. rained most of the night, got there by 600, hiking at 615.. still pouring..

Got to the salt luck, hiked downhill 50 metres to get set up in the open spruce, cottonwood
.. put down x bow, take off pack, look up !!! Busted... cow and calf at 30 yards looking right at me...once they left i spent the rest of the day sitting in the rain (camo is not rain proof but rain repellant)... soaked to the hide til i left.. nothing else seen.. back to the luck tomorrow.. that bull is now in my head

Bugle M In
09-09-2019, 03:37 PM
Well, we have our fingers crossed for you!

rocksteady
09-09-2019, 03:45 PM
Thats what hunting is all about...

Not the thrill of the kill, just the fun of the chase... sig line..Deep Purple!!! Rock on

gamehunter6o
09-09-2019, 05:40 PM
Thats what hunting is all about...

Not the thrill of the kill, just the fun of the chase... sig line..Deep Purple!!! Rock on
You got that right. Many times I have put one down then said "shyte, what have I done" when I realise the carry out.
Do that more often in my '70s.

rocksteady
09-10-2019, 10:34 AM
Back home from the morning hunt.. nothing.. no see anything, no hear anything.

Saw a killer 4 pt whitetail in the dark within city limits on the way out and a cow and calf grazing in the dark on the highway right of way...

Night before last it poured all night rained steadily all day yesterday and was raining this morning when i went to my bait site.. sat there for 3 hours, nothing showed..

Checked my cam.. all of the elk are now hitting it at 730 at night, whereas before the rain they were hitting it around 7 am.

Not sure what to do now.. 125 pictures in 2 evenings and no bulls.. wtf?

Gonna have a hot meal, hot shower and ponder my options

j270wsm
09-10-2019, 10:45 AM
That sucks....

I took a friend and his son after the bull I found the other day. There was a few shots fired but no blood.......

Kootenaykid85
09-10-2019, 10:47 AM
bull is most likely dead, no reason to leave the cows. rut is in full swing now.

Ourea
09-10-2019, 10:59 AM
Great thread rocksteady.
HBC needs more of this.
Tip of the hat.

rocksteady
09-10-2019, 11:11 AM
Great thread rocksteady.
HBC needs more of this.
Tip of the hat.

Thanks.. just like sharing hunt stories for a hunting website

rocksteady
09-10-2019, 11:13 AM
bull is most likely dead, no reason to leave the cows. rut is in full swing now.

Dont believe so, started a rub on the old landing , so i think he is still alive, just camera shy

There is zero hunting pressure where i am.. no tire tracks, no boot tracks.. a very small non elk looking piece of ground

Redthies
09-10-2019, 11:16 AM
Fawk. I NEED to get out!

Thanks for the reports RS!

Ourea
09-10-2019, 11:38 AM

Right now it is nothing more than dink bulls all fired up ......meanwhile back at the ranch....the serious bulls (players) are biding their time when the the majority of cows are coming into heat. When you are the boss they don't interact until it is truly game time.

Been thru this dance too many times to not know when to hunt/target big bulls

Kootenaykid85
09-10-2019, 11:46 AM
Right now it is nothing more than dink bulls all fired up ......meanwhile back at the ranch....the serious bulls (players) are biding their time when the the majority of cows are coming into heat. When you are the boss they don't interact until it is truly game time.

Been thru this dance too many times to not know when to hunt/target big bulls

Going to have to say your incorrect, perhaps where you hunt elk? but not here in the west kootenays. I cant count on one hand how many 360+ bulls ive seen killed in the first 12 days of september. low land farm elk sure... I can see that happening. but up in the backcountry mature bulls allways rut first. trust me

Ourea
09-10-2019, 11:59 AM
Going to have to say your incorrect, perhaps where you hunt elk? but not here in the west kootenays. I cant count on one hand how many 360+ bulls ive seen killed in the first 12 days of september. low land farm elk sure... I can see that happening. but up in the backcountry mature bulls allways rut first. trust me

If you know you know...it's simple as that.
I know I've killed some bulls 350+.
Many years of sitting on elk watching day after day as bulls come and go.....you get get a strong sense and understanding of when the true players show up. Simple fact of the matter is to truly understand that dynamic. Know the inventory, know the players.

I will deflect to MD. Had a red hot area where guys where bragging about their 180 this and 190 that.
We took bucks up to 240" out of said area.

Kootenaykid85
09-10-2019, 12:28 PM
sorry rocksteady dont know how we got onto bragging about muledeer there, hope that 6 point finds its way back to your patch soon!

rocksteady
09-10-2019, 01:58 PM
You aint the only one..

I wanna drop that bugger

Ourea
09-10-2019, 02:46 PM
sorry rocksteady dont know how we got onto bragging about muledeer there, hope that 6 point finds its way back to your patch soon!

My comment was on referencing watching complete rutting cycles. A lot of folks book opening week, have a weekend here and there, zip up after work. They base their understanding on a limited time, a small window, out of a 30 to 90 day season. Trying to help folks with a better understanding.

I love Rocksteady's post and think he is one of HBC's most valuable members and not wishing to detract from what is surely going to be a great thread.

rocksteady
09-10-2019, 02:58 PM
May not be a great thread, yet.. but still a conversation of my day to day hunting ups and downs. Truly for entertainment purposes.. no hidden agenda.. thanks all for following along.. i hope to have my hands on that 6 point soon..

happyhunter
09-10-2019, 03:06 PM
Trust your gut, if you think he’s still around he very well could be! Good luck hope you have success soon!

rocksteady
09-10-2019, 03:48 PM
I am sure he is still around... its just so bloody thick.. and there is no vocals going on..

gamehunter6o
09-10-2019, 04:09 PM
I am sure he is still around... its just so bloody thick.. and there is no vocals going on..
He will turn up the day you don't, so hammer that spot every day but don't wreck it with scent. Let him make the mistake.

Island Idiots
09-10-2019, 04:17 PM
I am so appreciative of these posts. I am a rookie at almost 61. Today I missed an opportunity of a lifetime. I am grateful for what I have learned here and will hope to recreate the events of today more to my advantage. Good luck I hope you get your Bull and I cant wait for the photos!

willyqbc
09-10-2019, 06:05 PM
I am so appreciative of these posts. I am a rookie at almost 61. Today I missed an opportunity of a lifetime. I am grateful for what I have learned here and will hope to recreate the events of today more to my advantage. Good luck I hope you get your Bull and I cant wait for the photos!

start a new thread with your story! Tons of knowledge on this site that may help you seal the deal next time!! Plus we all just like hearing stories...even if unsuccessful!

Myself...like rock, my area is very thick and no vocals to be heard here on opening day!

f350ps
09-10-2019, 08:46 PM
Patience grasshopper, you'll get him Rock, good luck! We're all waiting with baited breath! K

rocksteady
09-11-2019, 09:03 AM
In the bush way before light again... went 50 yards downhill from the salt and camera, near a trail they have been using to get to the salt.. nothing seen or heard. Checked the cam.. ZERO pics since yesterday morning when i cleared the card.. frigg..

Did some cow calling, light bugles, zero response...

Was heading out this morning, scooting down the highway in the pitch black, suddenly something flew downhill from my left and smoked the A pillar on the truck.. no idea what it was. Bit big for a bat, maybe a small owl or other raptor that can see well in the dark.. it made one F of a bang... woke me up right away, let me tell you.. morning commute to hunting site is supposed to be for sipping coffee, listening to tunes.. this was not that..no damage to truck but poop (yes, fecal matter) down the side of the window.. will look on the way home to see if i can find carcass to identify the UFO..

Bugle M In
09-11-2019, 09:59 AM
Now, if the elk have disappeared for the next couple of days, then it is my opinion that maybe a big boy moved in and is holding them somewhere.
That is just my opinion from past experiences, and again, only if you don't see them for several days, AND, you might have the odd
smaller bull start showing up where you are sitting and calling.
Then it is a definite in my books/mind.

barongan
09-11-2019, 10:22 AM
this thread is awesomehttp://juragan.club/assets/1/o.png

rocksteady
09-11-2019, 10:36 AM
A bull, not sure if its the big guy, has been thrashing a tree on the landing behind the camera

Darksith
09-12-2019, 06:57 AM
you need more cameras! Lets see some pics!

rocksteady
09-12-2019, 08:16 AM
I put pics of the big bull in an imgur link a few pages ago

rocksteady
09-12-2019, 11:02 AM
Different day.. snuck in to the viewpoint overlooking the river.. zero elk, no deer..

After an hour i see black spots moving upriver.. glass them.. hmm. Bears.. they got nearer.. hmm.. silverback grizz sow and 2 full grown cubs.. maybe thats why the elk are not doing the usual??

Watched them for a while they swam the river and when they hit dry land on my side all 3 took off on a dead run heading upriver to a brushy island that i like to hunt..

Not today.. 3 full grown grizz, i aint going down in there.. packed my crap and came home.. not worth the risk

rocksteady
09-13-2019, 03:26 PM
Blood has been shed.. hammer has been dropped.. will post story tomorrow, got to have a shower, do laundry and gave a siesta

rocksteady
09-13-2019, 03:33 PM
http://imgur.com/a/C66dNd2

albravo2
09-13-2019, 03:58 PM
Nice one Rocksteady!

Gotta admit though, I was hoping it was a pic of a 6 pt bull elk.

rocksteady
09-13-2019, 04:25 PM
Not yet.. stay tuned

willyqbc
09-13-2019, 05:41 PM
high fives all around! Nice job Rock!

Muliechaser
09-13-2019, 05:47 PM
Beauty buck! This is just the start of an epic thread . Keep at it.

gamehunter6o
09-13-2019, 07:28 PM
Great buck. Well done.

RackStar
09-13-2019, 07:38 PM
Great buck!

love the thread man.

quadrakid
09-13-2019, 09:09 PM
Well done,

silvertipp
09-13-2019, 10:55 PM
Well done rock
that's some great eats rite there

twoSevenO
09-13-2019, 11:25 PM
If you know you know...it's simple as that.
I know I've killed some bulls 350+.
Many years of sitting on elk watching day after day as bulls come and go.....you get get a strong sense and understanding of when the true players show up. Simple fact of the matter is to truly understand that dynamic. Know the inventory, know the players.

I will deflect to MD. Had a red hot area where guys where bragging about their 180 this and 190 that.
We took bucks up to 240" out of said area.

Do you have some pics of these 200+" bucks? I know you have posted the 240 last year .... would love to see the others.

Weatherby Fan
09-14-2019, 07:23 AM
Dandy Whitetail, congrats

happyhunter
09-14-2019, 07:53 AM
That’s not an elk lol nice buck though congrats!

Redthies
09-14-2019, 08:05 AM
Awesome! Not a bad day at all!

09-14-2019, 08:43 AM
Nice buck dude!
One tag down!

Bugle M In
09-14-2019, 09:54 AM
Nice job on the buck.
Perfect time of year for them.

DeepJeep
09-14-2019, 10:13 AM
That's a dandy. Congrats

willyqbc
09-14-2019, 10:29 AM
Uhhhhh....a diary is supposed to contain all the juicy details!!!! (Impatiently drumming fingers on my desk at work).

Pics are nice....but some of us poor buggers stuck at work need a good story to read!!! :tongue:

rocksteady
09-14-2019, 11:16 AM
Sorry Willy, playing catch up on chores etc..

Took 2 buddies to my salt lick (they are both awesone callers, i suck). We went in there, bugled cow called for a few hours but only saw a few cows and calves.. it started pouring rain so we left to do some road hunting, as we were all soaked.. take a road long not travelled by the 3 of us. Tooks us from valley bottom up to ridge top, about 12km..

So the running joke with these 2 characters is they ride my ass , in humour, cause i always shoot the first buck i see. So we decide to drive this road and the comment was "k, lets go for a drive and let him shoot his spike"..

After we were up about 10 km a big fresh clearcut comes iinto view.. i see elk.. 2 spikes, watch them for a bit and they head off.. intermittent fog rolling thru so i hike up the road to the landing to peek over where they were headed. I get up there, in the fog, hear cow calls and a bugle.. sneek off the edge of the landing, get set up.. fog rises a few minutes later.. 2 guys and their pickup down below on a different landing.

Oh well.. drive to the end of the road, have a pee, buddy had a smoke. We decide just to anke back home..

We don't even get a km back in an old cut block when i see a buck standing on the alders.. we stop i toss the binos up, yep, got antlers.. driver says get out and smash the thing or i will.. i did not have a great look at the antlers cause he was in the shade.. driver had a betterview. So i step out, load the gun, aim, boom.. straight frigging down.. maybe a 65 yard shot..

Had no idea he was a 5 til i laid hands on him. Driver knew how big he was(better binos)..

Few pics, drag downhill to the road, as we are gutting it we have a bull elk bugling back and forth with us below the road.. wind was not right to make a play and we could tell he was heading downhill and away from us and there is zero roads down where he is heading, so we backed out.. more likely a spot for an evening hunt

09-14-2019, 11:44 AM
Lol.... when partner says
" get out and smash that or i will" you get out and smash it

rocksteady
09-14-2019, 11:48 AM
Probably the biggest buck i have shot in 15 years.. 118.5 lbs on the hook but really good body fat

willyqbc
09-14-2019, 12:20 PM
Thanks Rock! ....helping the working man get through a 12 hr day!!! :wink:

Beauty buck!

rocksteady
09-14-2019, 03:12 PM
Update killed bull moose with x bow.. story and pics to follow

silvertipp
09-14-2019, 03:15 PM
Sweet your on a roll now

willyqbc
09-14-2019, 03:22 PM
Holy hell Rock!! Double high fives all around!!!! Could be an awful short season for ya!!!

09-14-2019, 03:54 PM
What the ***?
One day??

Liveforthehunt
09-14-2019, 04:09 PM
Wow you are killing it ! This is a fantastic thread thank you for everything you have shared soo far .

REMINGTON JIM
09-14-2019, 06:01 PM
Great Stories so far and a Nice Buck - Wheres the Moose ROCK ? ;-) RJ

Redthies
09-14-2019, 06:05 PM
Update killed bull moose with x bow.. story and pics to follow

Pics or it didn’t happen...

:lol:

rocksteady
09-14-2019, 07:57 PM
http://imgur.com/gallery/yGgmf0D

rocksteady
09-14-2019, 08:06 PM
So near with me had a few beers after another successful day.. if i dont do spell check well or seem to ramble blame it on the brews...

So, decided not too hunt this mornjng, 13 days of getting up at 4 am wears on an old guys body... get up around 830, feed horses, go to canadian tire cause they got trail cams on sale for $50. Wildgameinnovations 12 mp.. go to canuck tire... buddy who is on my group hunt, he is 90 minutes north but got a call from his buddy saying there is a bull moose at the x km bridge in our zone.. i say ojay, i will go take a look. Come home, get changed, throw in the x bow and go for a drive..

I am thinking all the way out, there is no way this moose is still gonna be there, but whatever i will go for a drive..

30 minutes later i pull up to the swamp and HOLY CRAP.. bull and cow still in the swamp..

Wheels start spinning, they are 150 + yards in the wide open, how can i get a shot with a crossbow..

Drive up the road 150 yards to a side road that circles the west half of the swamp..

Park truck, lock and load, running light.. bow, quiver, binos, rangefinder and off i go..

Redthies
09-14-2019, 08:10 PM
You had me worried when I saw the pic... That ain’t no spike-fork GOS moose!

rocksteady
09-14-2019, 08:14 PM
Head down the trail following creek, splits, half goes left to a lake, right fork goes to swamp.. follow it in til i hit the edge of swamp, then start following tracks.. water 4" deep, no prob, wearing felt pack gumboots 12".. keep sneeking, water getting deeper, deeper.. see the cow at about 80 yards thru willow... keep sneeking, water getting deeper.. finally get within 50 yards of cow and she starts to move.. stayed still.. cow called, bull grunted, numerous times, they settled down.. waited a bit and started to close.. holy crap, thats deep, i am up to my nuts.. oh well cant get any wetter, kept going calling.. got a clear shot on cow but bull is a bit further back and in some willow... stood there up to my money maker for 20 minutes til the cow decided to leave.. bull started to follow, up came tge crossbow, guessed the range at 40 (rangefinder was in a pocket that got soaked and no longer worked).. stopped the bull with a grunt, safety off, steady crosshairs, squeeze...

rocksteady
09-14-2019, 08:15 PM
You had me worried when I saw the pic... That ain’t no spike-fork GOS moose!

Leh so any bull starting sep 1

rocksteady
09-14-2019, 08:33 PM
Sent arrow down range, saw the bull hump and jump for about 3 strides then stop and hang his head.. climbed up on the smallest piece of swamp turf/willow branches to reload crossbow.. back into the water.. hope there aint leeches in here.. stand there for 20 minutes and no shot, ciw decides to follow but i can tell he is hurt.. cow makes it to timber, bull is struggling to follow.. i head for the nearest shore.. 150 meters up to my boys til i hit dry land.. climb out and start stalking down to where bullexited swamp towards fsr. I hear some crashing in bush so try to get elevation and eyes on noise... sit there for 5 minutes, then i hear a couple vehicles and some talking..

"Wtf... theres no season on these?"
"Betcha he got hit by a car"

So i head straight to the voices.. 3 trucks parked on road.. i approach and ask if they had seen my bull, i have an leh..they came around the corner before i showed up and the bull was laying in the ditch.. when they got close he wandered into bush and laid down again.. as i am getting intel from these guys and trying to catch my wind (ever try walking in big gum boots with a gallon of water in each?)

One guy goes to the back of the truck to pee and sees the bull sneeking through the trees away from us.. he whistles.. i see the bull labouring down the road and cross.. i scoot as fast as my water loaded gumboots will let me til i get to where i saw him enter willow pit.. grwat bloodtrail across the road..

Decision time.. moose is hurt, i am soaked and packing way too much water in boots... gonna pull out.. backed off.. gents that i talked to gave me a ride to my truck (thanks guys).. i started up the taco and went to last blood.. got on the phone, called the others in my group hunt saying i need help.. unfortunately they are up the back of another drainage and 2 hours away... we have a heart to heart, play by play and we decide i sit tight and wait for them.. turned out to be a wise decision...

Luckily i had a spare set of camo in my truck, so stripped out of that into dry clothes, ditched the sicks and boots and put heater on high.. dried out, sort of, checked internet, played crosswords til the crew showed up.. 3 adults, 1 10 year old.

Redthies
09-14-2019, 08:34 PM
Leh so any bull starting sep 1. I figured that out as soon as you said “guy in my group”. Loving the story! Electronics in the breast pockets next time;)

rocksteady
09-14-2019, 08:46 PM
So after 2 hours of me dying from nerves, the crew shows up.. i brief them on what happened and where the bull went.. one guy had a rifle (grizz problem in the area) me and J had bows (both part of the shared hunt), 1 grwat packer and the 10 year old..

We gear up and and sneeking through the swamp and alder, following blood trail.. after 100 yards in, trail goes cold. We finger out to find blood.. rifle guy "pssst, pssst.. right here, still alive "

Me and J both sneek over to him and the bull is 25 tards away bedded looking straight away.. no shot.. i suggested a shot to the back of the spine cause i had a great rest. J said no, he has to stand..

I look back to rifle guy and signal him to bull grunt or cow call to get this thing to stand.. he is in 4 foot deep ferns..

Grunt, grunt, cow call, grunt... finally he rises, but rather than just turning he jumps a few yards.. i fire, J fires.. bullgoes 5 yards and stops almost broadside.. J can reliad his compound faster than i can reliad the x bow.. i get loaded, J says, i got a perfect shot, get out of my way.. i take a step off and he puts an arrow perfectly in the seem of the shoulder.. that rocks the bulls world.. he starts to wobble and as soon as he goes down on all 4 i stalk over and blow a bolt clean through the lungs.. backed out and waited him to expire.. his 5 and ass slaps..

Quartered on site using gutless method and packboards had him in the truck in no time..

320 lb on the hook. Less the head and the tenderloins (supper tomorrow)..

rocksteady
09-14-2019, 08:50 PM
So the aftermath..

My first shot (up to my balls in water) was a bit low, went in behind right front leg and lodged in lower left front..

When he stood up and jumped, i shot him right in the hind quarter, J shot low and actually gut shot him 3 " up from the belly line. (She was a western scenario, you cant prepare or practice for that). J second shot was super good, in the shoulder crease into vitals, my final shot, perfect pass through the lungs..

rocksteady
09-14-2019, 08:52 PM
I feel so fortunate to have hunting buddies who will call me when an opportunity like thus arises and then come help me finish the adventure.. truly blessed to gave hunting partners like this...

rocksteady
09-14-2019, 08:53 PM
I am tired as F@#k, still wet to the bone and think i may have a leech living in my underwear.. hope you enjoy the story all.. unbelievable but true..

Rackmastr
09-14-2019, 09:15 PM
Dude you are on a roll!!!! Congrats!!!

REMINGTON JIM
09-14-2019, 09:28 PM
GREAT ! Keep it coming :grin: RJ

rocksteady
09-15-2019, 10:50 AM
Taking a day off. Physically mentally tired after so many early days and miles hiked..

Reset day.. laundry (smelly swamp pants and under clothing) ... gotta skin out my deer and moose heads so i can do euro mounts.. sharpen knives, give the x bow a good clean and lubrication..maybe watch some football have a beer or 2 and have an afternoon nap

Bugle M In
09-15-2019, 10:55 AM
Deer, now a Moose, awesome.
Harder then getting them both down, was winning a dam LEH for Moose:mrgreen::mrgreen:

rocksteady
09-15-2019, 11:08 AM
Been 8 years since i drew leh for that unit.. definite winner if you draw..

Just gotta find a six elk.. just not today ��

albravo2
09-15-2019, 11:17 AM
Epic thread! Great story on that bull. Must have been nerve-wracking to sit and wait for the others.

I'd sooner have a leech than a tick, that is for sure.

rocksteady
09-15-2019, 11:19 AM
Was not a bad wait.. i had changed close and was in the truck getting thawed out, listening to sirius and surfing the net.. i knew going in by myself was not the right thing to do..

HarryToolips
09-15-2019, 10:05 PM
Way to go nice buck and moose congrats!

Elkaholic
09-16-2019, 09:43 AM
Congrats on the animals and the adventures! Took me a bit to catch up on what I missed the past 5 days or so. Way to get it done man.

rocksteady
09-16-2019, 09:52 AM
Nothing to report today saw a few elk, small bull. Still not bugling in the lowlands

rocksteady
09-16-2019, 02:09 PM
Looking back this was the stupidest stalk i have ever tried that turned out so good.. still shaking my head at myself for what happened.. who is dumb enuff to wade up to their balls for 150 yards to get a bow shot at a bull??
I am the only idiot i know that would do it

rocksteady
09-16-2019, 02:21 PM
Costly day today.. took a frick of a tumble down a rock chute while trying to get to some elk.. landed flat on my back and pack (with spotting scope in pack).. broke the scope in half.. 10 + year old buschnell.. in hunt mode so went and bought a vortex 20 to 60 angle view

whognu
09-16-2019, 02:51 PM
Costly day today.. took a frick of a tumble down a rock chute while trying to get to some elk.. landed flat on my back and pack (with spotting scope in pack).. broke the scope in half.. 10 + year old buschnell.. in hunt mode so went and bought a vortex 20 to 60 angle view

you're a regular energizer bunny.........takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'

thanks again for the adventures

rocksteady
09-16-2019, 02:54 PM
The fall knocked the wind out of me for close to 15 minutes.. luckily when i went ass over tea kettle my body took the hit on my rifle and Leupold

rocksteady
09-16-2019, 02:56 PM
Not an energizer bunny, just a stubborn cuss..

albravo2
09-16-2019, 03:13 PM
Jesus. I read about your hunts and come to the inescapable conclusion that I've gone soft. "So, I fell down this rock chute and broke my spotting scope with my back so after I got my wind back I said to myself it is only a 10 mile walk back to town to buy another spotter and there is plenty of light left."

Keep it up, you're giving a lot of us inspiration.

rocksteady
09-16-2019, 03:26 PM
Not a 10 km walk.. maybe 1.5 to 2

09-16-2019, 03:47 PM
Looking back this was the stupidest stalk i have ever tried that turned out so good.. still shaking my head at myself for what happened.. who is dumb enuff to wade up to their balls for 150 yards to get a bow shot at a bull??

A while back I told ya to swim The river! I for one am proud of ya man!

Bugle M In
09-16-2019, 03:48 PM

Nope, chased a few elk into timber and needed to get over river asap.
Even in a foot of snow, atleast 100 yards to river, than another 50 thru, and another 50 to sit.
Just remember to take the ginch off first!!
And hope you hunting partner isn't snapping a few pics while you don't know!!!
And no, I ain't sharing those pics!!

rocksteady
09-18-2019, 11:41 AM
Yesterday.. slow day.. went to where i got my whitey, hoping to find the elk that was bugling downhill while gutting wt. Was in the right area 30 minutes before daylight. Spent 3 hours there, never heard a peep.. had a cow and calf cross the road , about 3 km from the block..

rocksteady
09-18-2019, 11:43 AM
Today another slow one.. had a cow and calf cross highway in the dark. Went to trail cam.. was in there an hour before light and stayed til 9ish.. not a peep.. checked camera. Not a single pic since the morning of the 15th.. argh..

Did some road hunting after that, saw a few does and killed a grouse..

Nap time

gcreek
09-18-2019, 08:03 PM
The fall knocked the wind out of me for close to 15 minutes.. luckily when i went ass over tea kettle my body took the hit on my rifle and Leupold

A cowboy would call that a “ fartbuster “.

rocksteady
09-19-2019, 10:37 AM
So no animals seen today.. went to another spot of mine on a different river (you starting to clue in where i do almost all of my hunting?)

Parked the truck, short walk in, maybe 400 metres.. did not get more than 100 yards from the truck and the stench of bull elk was almost enuff to gag ya.. i continued carefully in very faint light, wind in my face to where i suspected they were.. got in there, set up the spotter to watch the river and the smell was thick.. spotted for an hour, couple cow call no answers.. starting sneaking around on the bench, found probably 20 beds in a 100 yard radius.. they were here, just not sure when. Was cool and sprinkling a bit which would have kept the stench fresh.. not sure if they bedded there last night or this morning and moved off unseen at first light.. may try that area tomorrow again.

rocksteady
09-19-2019, 10:39 AM
When i was sitting glassing i had probably 10 or more coyotes light up and serenade each other.. had to keep saying to myself.. you are here for elk, coyotes can be killed in winter.

Bugle M In
09-19-2019, 11:04 AM
That stink, especially from the beds can last for weeks on end.

rocksteady
09-19-2019, 11:26 AM
Yup.. but the tracks were super fresh. Rained overnight

Bugle M In
09-19-2019, 01:23 PM
Yup.. but the tracks were super fresh. Rained overnight

Yup, sorry, wasn't trying to say the stink wasn't fresh in your case.
It was more for the novice to know that fact if they were reading the thread and posts.

rocksteady
09-19-2019, 02:42 PM
No probs......

Islandeer
09-19-2019, 05:50 PM
Stud buck, well deserved. Here’s to a 6.

rocksteady
09-20-2019, 09:52 AM
So today was a bit closer to getting an elk.

Went to a different viewpoint way downstteam on the river.. great spot cause you can drive right to it..

Sitting in the dark doing a crossword and bulls light up.. get out, get binos, spotting scope ready for first light. Serenade continues for 30 mins
. Just as its getting light enuff to see anything in binos at less than 400 yards, something comes walking fown the train tracks, i can hear it just cant pick it out.. i am about 300 meters away and above from the tracks.. finally i puck up some sort of large object moving and within 3 seconds it dives in the Bush on the far side.. argh.. sat there for the next hour, glassing.. all went quiet nothing seen after that, besides some wt does..

Why did i not go in after them you ask???

The area is notorious for g bears along this stretch of river and will not go in alone.. maybe if i had 2 other guys with me, i would have tried..

So i go for a bit of a cruise South to another area i know holds elk, just mainly scouting and looking for rubs... putt putting along and a big bull elk runs across the road at 200 yards and stops in some brush.. he is a mature bull but can't get a count.. he leaves on a trot, i drive around a loop road and know where he is going.. after 500 metres or so, i see him again, stopped in the wide open.. binos up, he takes off.. think he was a 5 as i did not see 3 up high.. tried to follow on foot and bugle and cow call but that produced zip..

Big bull all by himself?? Thinking naybe a satellite bull, maybe herd went the other direction..

Not sure yet what pkan is tomorrow, so many close calls in so many areas, having a hard time to pick which place has the best odds...

Stay tuned..

rocksteady
09-21-2019, 11:19 AM
Another slow day.. sitting on top of the bluffs in the dark where all the bugling was yesterday morning.. not a single bugle.

Went back to where i saw the bull yesterday and hiked around fir a couple hours, trying to see if i could find a rub line or beds, nothing..

Really quiet out there for hunters too.. its usually an area over run with road hunters. I heard a couple sxs and saw 1 quad and 1 suv..

Bugle M In
09-21-2019, 12:34 PM
It's a real bugger when you can find the elk right off the bat almost yet it takes forever to seal the deal sometimes.
Sometimes it happens fast out of nowhere early on, and other times it takes til the last day.
Pretty sure you endurance and tenacity will pay off for you this season.

rocksteady
09-21-2019, 12:48 PM
On day 21 of chasing these ghosts.. getting wore out BUT am so content with what i have so far.. cant complain one little bit.

Nice big whitey, moose with a bow.. i am ecstatic so far

rocksteady
09-21-2019, 01:45 PM
Betcha i have lost 10 lbs in the last 3 weeks and cant afford to give up any body mass.. once elk is over i am gonna drink beer and have moose meat smothered in mushrooms, onions and gravy... and multiple servings

rocksteady
09-22-2019, 10:02 AM
Frustration has set in.. went to the trail cam.. nothing came in. Only 8 pics in the last 4 days.. same cow and calf.. snooped around, snuck in on a ciw/calf (assuming same one).

No bugles no cow calling.. the herds of 15 plus critters are not showing up.. none of the spikes i was seeing preseason are showing on cam, either with a herd or without.. big bull never seen again, yet.

Been on holidays for 3 weeks, back to work tomorrow, give me some time to get rested up, regroup and come up with a plan for the rest if elk season.. hope to be able to sneak out for night hunts after work every day, but depends what the warden says..

So far, happy with my success and chances in 2019 but would love to get the big bull i had on cam. He is gorgeous

rocksteady
09-26-2019, 05:46 PM
Went back to work this week.. was a great 3 week holiday.. still cant get elk off my mind.. went out tuesday after work to an area i know has elk.. farted around on a few roads, got to my spot, was putting the boots on and heard a bugle.. close... really close... grabbed the gun and binos, f the camo jacket... sneek in about 100 yards.. elk streaming through the timber.. lots of elk..

Run a big j hook around them to get in front of them. Sit and wait..

Cows and calves, nose to tail.. 18 in total..

Here comes the bull, i see antlers. I am only 80 yards away.. he hangs up, seems like forever.. finally he steps into the opening...

4 by 5... crap

So close, yet so far

HarryToolips
09-26-2019, 08:51 PM
^^^^still quite the sight and a success none the less..I wish you success with elk, and seems like you've had a great season already...lol God doesn't want me to hunt elk this year, I had 4 days to go but I broke my front axle on my truck grabbing firewood the day before I was supposed to leave, and now I don't have any more time to dedicate to elk hunting, so just be happy your getting to hunt them! Cheers

Piperdown
09-27-2019, 06:28 AM
Hey Rock enjoying reading your posts. How's the work thing going :mrgreen: Now is my time leave for the cabin for 2 months, can't let you have all the fun. On another note buddies up the coyote seeing lots of elk a lot of 5's but they did manage to tip one 6 pt over, good luck on the rest of your season.

09-27-2019, 07:35 AM
lol.... I hate that! but really love it

The Hermit
09-28-2019, 09:41 AM
Hey Rock great read and made my Sat morning! Thanks for taking us along!

rocksteady
09-28-2019, 10:49 AM
Went out this morning 3 different herds on the river. Last one had a bull.. stalked in to 60 yards.. 5 point.. argh..

Oh well rather see nothing legal rather than seeing nothing at all.. speaking of which, i dont know the last time i saw a whitetail.. the areas i hunt usually are thick with them but recently... zero

rocksteady
09-28-2019, 11:12 AM
Taking next week off to go hard and kill a 6..

gamehunter6o
09-28-2019, 11:42 AM
Taking next week off to go hard and kill a 6..
Good luck. I'll be following you.

Xbow
09-29-2019, 10:16 AM
THanks for the great reading Rock!!

Shikari300WSM
09-29-2019, 11:08 AM
Ya man reading your thread definately passes time between hunts! Hope you put a 6pt down!

rocksteady
09-29-2019, 12:35 PM
Out in the black light again this morning.. on a viewpoint.. as light progresses, see an elk on the tracks.. too dark to tell for sure how big but definitely a bull.. he wanders into the thick stuff.. stay glassing.. cow and calf.. watched them for 30 minutes before they crossed the tracks into the jungle... ran down to another area where i have been seeing lots and my buddy was in there this morning.. no bugles or cow calls since Tuesday... seems to be what all my buddies are experiencing.. silence since Tuesday..

So i hook up with my buddy and say lets do some jungle work.. we head off the viewpoint down to the tracks.. get thru the nasty brush pit and into good terrain.. we have wind in our face so decide divide and conquer.. working north 100 yards apart.. ten minutes later he texts me that small herd with a bull coming my way... i never saw them but partner stayed on their trail.. he thinks 4 point maybe bigger.. eventually they just evaporate..

We regroup hike back up to the viewpoint.. sitting there and 5 minutes later a spike crosses where we had decided to quit..

Seeing elk.. no shots.... but still in the game

rocksteady
09-30-2019, 08:01 AM
Black light.. viewpoint.. nothing between my lookout post and the tracks like the past few mornings. Just about ready to load up and go to another area and i hear a bugle down by the river.. hmm..

Then another and another, finally get his lication pegged and figured may as well give it a try... hike down the steep trail, across the willow pits to the tracks.. go up the tracks til i find the main trail in..

Try to quietly go down the bank, not that successful, as you know railway ballist is kinda squeeky.. get to the woods finally... sneak along the trail as quiet as i can for about 40 yards, coming out of the spruce into a big natural openings.. big cottonwoods, juniper and grass..

BINGO!!! bull standing in behind some stuff at about 80 yards. He heard me and is on full alert.. reach into my pocket and do a couple sqeeks of the cow call, he looks at me for a second, puts his head back down..

I wait, glassing, 5 or 6? 5 or 6?

Did not know it but there were 4 cows and calves to my left on the edge of the willows looking at me.. sitational awareness on my part bad, target fixation on my part good...

Bull throws back his head and bugles, walks 5 steps lets loose again..

I think the cows winded me or maybe just had enough of the noise and sliwly dissappear into the willows

rocksteady
09-30-2019, 08:10 AM
So i see the cows sneek away, bull sees them go but is not concerned.. he grazes a bit, then realizes his girls are out of his site, so he starts to follow, walking slow.. he goes behind a clump of cottonwood and willow so i make my move.. crouch down and scoot down the trail for about 40 yards.. trail is like a cow path but in pure sand..

I see him in behind a big spruce about 40 yards away.. cant count...

He starts walking, hits the trail and does a hard left right at me.. i have the binos up.. i can clearly see he is a clean 5 when he gets to 20 in the wide open and stops to look at me.. then he got really angry and started bugling right at me..

We have a staring contest for about 30 seconds then he spins and wheels heading after the cows.. i know they are gonna cross the river so hustle to get to the bank..

Get there just in time to see the cows come out onto the bank.. i was not sure if the 5 was a satellite or the herd bull.. watch the cows cross the river ever so slowly.. after a few minutes, bull comes out and follows.. same bull, clean 5.. waited another 5 minutes no other bulls with them so make the big climb up to the truck..

A fun morning, so far.. no shots fired but i may have peed a bit when he was screaming at me at 20 yards...

09-30-2019, 08:52 AM
aaahhhhhhhh .......
thatd drive me nuts!

The Hermit
09-30-2019, 08:57 AM
That makes for a great morning! Oh to have an extended bow season!

rocksteady
09-30-2019, 09:44 AM
aaahhhhhhhh .......
thatd drive me nuts!

Nah.. thats the fun and challenge of elk. If i got one everytime i stalked it would just become work..

09-30-2019, 10:12 AM
I know, but you gotta be a little driven nuts! Nuts isn't a bad thing! lol.... Island Blacktails drive me crazy... go home all mad you messed up all the way to the elation of success..... its that roller coaster that keeps us going... but only a crazy guy would keep at it! Golf is so much easier!

rocksteady
09-30-2019, 10:45 AM
Hmm. Guess i am crazy then!!!

09-30-2019, 11:02 AM
Dude, the effort yer putting in... you got to be a little off! lol...
You go home a ply through what happened and try to come up with a new battle plan... put in day after day.... no "Normal" person does that! lol..... Guys don't golf then go home and go over and over the game to get up the next day at 4am to go do it again!

that's what makes us do it........

rocksteady
09-30-2019, 11:38 AM
But if i shoot a great round of golf it does not put 400lbs of good eating meat in the freezer..

I used to gold competively (high school provincials) but now it just puts my blood pressure thru the roof :)

rocksteady
09-30-2019, 11:39 AM
I am not a little off...

Just stubborn and persistant..

09-30-2019, 01:53 PM
I don't Golf Either...... my saying.... I cant shoot a golf ball 100 yards but I can shoot a golf ball at 100 yards... I just use it as the what other people do.

I wish I could put the time in you do. I lets you really map out whats going on...

rocksteady
09-30-2019, 01:59 PM
Fortunately, after 35 years of working in the same organization, i have accrued 7 weeks of holidays per year and use them when i want (hunting season)... one of the perks of staying in my job and not chasing the freelance $$$

rocksteady
09-30-2019, 02:00 PM
Hopefully i will retire in 1 to 3 years, then watch out.. i will be hunting 365 for whatever is open

rocksteady
09-30-2019, 02:15 PM
After i left the 5 at the viewpoint, went to another area..

Sitting in truck trying to finish my coffee... bugle!!

Got out, found where he was screaming.. went at it.. followed the herd for 90 minutes, lots of fleeting glimpses, he was growling his head off.. think i may have seen a 6th point.. then a truck drove up and poof!! They gone..

rocksteady
09-30-2019, 05:06 PM
As frustrating as it is to have a small bull come in and not being able to shoot it.... its the most fun you can have with your clothes on!!!!

rocksteady
09-30-2019, 05:08 PM
And any turkey opens tomorrow.. better toss the 12g in the back seat

jimzuk
09-30-2019, 08:06 PM
Well I also have a similar work history. The 7 weeks of vacation was great. I just retired after 32 years with the same company but have not had any time to hunt yet. We are leaving on Wednesday for a 2 week trip. Perhaps we worked for the same organization? Pm me if you would like.

rocksteady
10-01-2019, 01:26 PM
Went to brand new area this morning. Nothing. Zero.. zilch... not a grouse or a deer..

Going back tonight to the second area i was in yesterday where i chased the growler for 90 minutes.. thinking they may be more relaxed for an evening hunt

rocksteady
10-01-2019, 01:53 PM
I cant believe there are over 16k views of this thread... shows that most people like the hunting stories.. HBC needs more stories, less drama

Ron.C
10-01-2019, 01:56 PM
I cant believe there are over 16k views of this thread... shows that most people like the hunting stories.. HBC needs more stories, less drama

Yep, Thanks for the daily accounts. Been allot of fun to follow along

dmaxtech
10-01-2019, 02:42 PM
16K views in 30 days is impressive. Keep it up. Can't wait to see the 6pt.

rocksteady
10-01-2019, 02:52 PM
I feel like a flippin Kardashian..

DeepJeep
10-01-2019, 04:05 PM

I love reading hunting stories so keep it up

Island Idiots
10-01-2019, 05:01 PM

And a “Like” button‼️

rocksteady
10-01-2019, 07:53 PM
So had a nap this afternoon, woke up, did a few chores wife phones and wants to chat... i am half heartedly lustening to her as i get ready..

Dont forget shotgun...

Yes dear, no dear, thats nice dear

Dont forget shotgun..

Um him.. yes dear, okay dear

Dont forget shotgun

Okay dear talk to you later, bye bye.. out the door into the truck.. i am 2 miles out of town before i remember the shotgun.. dang.. oh well.. hunting elk probably just extra stuff in the truck if i bring the shotgun..

Get out of town by 10 miles start beetling down the gravel road to where i want to be.....

Turkeys! Ah, sh$t.. no shotgun.. 20 or more birds just waddling across the road.. argh..

Lesson learned.. never get distracted by the wife just before you go hunting.. it willcost you a turkey...

No elk seen tonight, did see a pretty 4 point whitetail who must have known i have cut my buck tag so he stands there and looks at me for 5 minutes as i sit in the truck on the road..

Shotgun is now in the truck.. probably never see another turkey when the season is open but i am prepared

Liveforthehunt
10-01-2019, 08:34 PM
Great read man you are the Kardashian of hunting bc. I was unable to make it to creston this year to chase elk and have been living vicariously through you ! Keep it coming ! We need alot more threads like this ! I have been chasing elk locally but just isn't the same ! Thank you .